Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid year tax back query

Options
  • 07-01-2014 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hey all i will we leavin soon and will be claiming mt tax back anyone done this and can reccomend a good agent online a google search shows up alot but some look dodgy lol
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If you want to do it yourself, you can just do a tax claim on paper for year 12/13 and cross off 12/13 and replace with 13/14 and mail it to them - it's covered in the sticky FAQ

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I did it myself about 3 weeks ago. As above, got the 2013 form, crossed it out and wrote 2014, and filled it in as normal. No point going to an agent imo. It's really easy.

You can also claim your super back via a website. Just Google DASP and fill in the application (though your visa has to be expired for this) .

Sent mine in before Christmas, but it wouldn't have been received till the 2nd of January. Really hoping it doesn't take long to come through, as my money levels are dropping dangerously low.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

Kiith wrote: »
    I did it myself about 3 weeks ago. As above, got the 2013 form, crossed it out and wrote 2014, and filled it in as normal. No point going to an agent imo. It's really easy.

You can also claim your super back via a website. Just Google DASP and fill in the application (though your visa has to be expired for this) .

Sent mine in before Christmas, but it wouldn't have been received till the 2nd of January. Really hoping it doesn't take long to come through, as my money levels are dropping dangerously low.

Did u add your medicare levy exemption ,? If you do the paper form can you claim the expenses yourself and education courses bit lost with it all lol the nz return was easier

jamiecoins wrote: »
    Did u add your medicare levy exemption ,? If you do the paper form can you claim the expenses yourself and education courses bit lost with it all lol the nz return was easier

Yeah, I claimed the medicare. You can do anything you would have been able to do on etax. If you're not sure, and are in a big city, you can drop into the ATO shopfront and ask for advice. I went into the one in Melbourne and they gave me some tips. Was free and no queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lavelle72

I'm looking into this now too as I've permanently left Oz. I don't have a PAYG summary (obviously) but I'm assuming the details on my final payslip will suffice?

Also, it looks like I have to order the form and it gets posted out? This sucks as I'm going to South America next week for 5 months.

FYI here's the ATO link: http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Going-overseas/When-you-leave-Australia/Lodging-your-tax-return-early/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

lavelle72 wrote: »
    I'm looking into this now too as I've permanently left Oz. I don't have a PAYG summary (obviously) but I'm assuming the details on my final payslip will suffice?

Also, it looks like I have to order the form and it gets posted out? This sucks as I'm going to South America next week for 5 months.

FYI here's the ATO link: http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Going-overseas/When-you-leave-Australia/Lodging-your-tax-return-early/

Cant you download the form ? Or some nice person could have a 2012/2013 tax form lying around they could scan and email you :)

Thanks for the links

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lavelle72

jamiecoins wrote: »
    Cant you download the form ? Or some nice person could have a 2012/2013 tax form lying around they could scan and email you :)

Thanks for the links

The ATO site says this...
    "You must get a printed copy of the paper tax return. You can't download and print the form yourself."

Yeah, it needs to be the actual paper form for final tax returns. Can't use a scanned copy or etax. I was lucky to get one before i left, but it would be a pain in the ass to have to get one from anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

I have a question in regards to being an Australian resident for tax purposes on an early tax return. I spent 2 solid years in Melbourne, from Nov 2011 to Nov 2013, I had several jobs and 2 addresses during this period. I filed 2 tax returns, 2012 and 2013, in which i was classed as a resident for tax purposes. I left in Nov 2013 so technically i was only in Australia for 5 months of the 2014 tax year. Does this mean I will not be a resident for tax purposes? I earned 16,000 in 2014 tax year and paid 2000 in tax will my status as a resident for tax purposes affect my claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

danotroy wrote: »
    I have a question in regards to being an Australian resident for tax purposes on an early tax return. I spent 2 solid years in Melbourne, from Nov 2011 to Nov 2013, I had several jobs and 2 addresses during this period. I filed 2 tax returns, 2012 and 2013, in which i was classed as a resident for tax purposes. I left in Nov 2013 so technically i was only in Australia for 5 months of the 2014 tax year. Does this mean I will not be a resident for tax purposes? I earned 16,000 in 2014 tax year and paid 2000 in tax will my status as a resident for tax purposes affect my claim?

EDIT: Seems my info is incorrect

• Advertisement

I thought if you are leave the country before the tax year ends, you aren't considered a resident for tax purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

You will be a resident for tax purposes. The 6 month thing is not 6 months of every tax year, you were in Melbourne 2 years so you're definitely a resident for tax purposes. You earned less than 18,200 in the 2014 tax year so you'll be getting all your tax back.

just a slight correction to this

even when you are resident in the year of departure - you don't get the full threshold of $18,200 unless you spend the full year in the country. You get a partial threshold based on the number of months you stayed.

leaving in Nov, you will get a threshold of $15,437. Can't remember if you said if you earned less than but if you did - then you will get all your tax back

http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Ind/Tax-free-threshold-if-you-are-leaving-Australia-permanently/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I thought if you are leave the country before the tax year ends, you aren't considered a resident for tax purposes?

You could be right actually. http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/How-much-income-tax-you-pay/Are-you-an-Australian-resident-for-tax-purposes-/

I wasn't aware of the partial threshold either. Looks like my post is riddled with mistakes now. I'll edit it... :o

Thanks guys! I earned $16,341.31 and i paid $1982.06 in tax so on the basis of that link i will get a tax free threshold of $15,437 as legend says.so does this mean i will get a tax return close enough to the figure i paid i tax?

You should get most of it back. I just got mine, and it was actually more than I expected. Also, took exactly 2 weeks from when they reopened after Christmas.

Time to go spend money on useless stuff! :p

You should get most of it back. I just got mine, and it was actually more than I expected. Also, took exactly 2 weeks from when they reopened after Christmas.

Time to go spend money on useless stuff! :p

Can you recommend an agent? As I do not have the original tax forms I presume i'm going to have to go through an agent.

I did it myself, as i sent the forms in before i left Melbourne. If you can get a copy, or maybe get them posted to you, i'd recommend it. It's really simple to do. Might not be an option if you're remote though.

So. I got my tax agent form last year to fill out my application and to be honest contact has been sporadic and unsatisfactory. One e-mail i got back was very unprofessional, i'm pretty sure she was drunk on holidays when she went it. After 2 weeks of waiting they have finally sent me back the tax return form with sign here on every page. Then they hit me with the news that I have to pay $300 to file an early return, which is also not tax deductible.

I'm now thinking could I just use the forms they have sent me and send them directly to the tax office if I remove the tax agents name from the form?

so does anyone know can i just change the details of the form that my agent has given me and submit that? just take their name and address off of it and out down mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

I recently helped my mate to complete his 2014 tax return early as he was leaving the country.

I can confirm we used etax 2013 program, crossed out 2013 and wrote 2014 and he received his refund last week. This was approximately 5 weeks after he submitted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 allic

can someone tell me when is the end of the tax year please?!

End of June iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

allic wrote: »
    can someone tell me when is the end of the tax year please?!

30th June

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

In relation to tax matters, I arrived in January and will be leaving in December. Do I have to file a tax return in June and another one in December before I leave? I'd like to wait until December to claim it all back if possible.

Probably a stupid question but I'm pretty clueless in this area..

I was the same as you, and i applied at the start of July and in January. Definitely worked out well for me, as i got all my tax back from both tax years.

I was the same as you, and i applied at the start of July and in January. Definitely worked out well for me, as i got all my tax back from both tax years.

Yeah I suppose it could work out better. Did you apply for your tax back at home? Is there any problem with doing that?

I did it from Oz the 1st time around (using the e-tax application), and sent the paper based forms off the day before i left in January.

I did it from Oz the 1st time around (using the e-tax application), and sent the paper based forms off the day before i left in January.

Apologies for the questions, but, if you applied just before you left, I presume payments go straight to your bank?

No worries, i had plenty of questions at the time myself.

Yeah, straight into my Australian account. I still had it open (still do actually) when i left, so it was quicker using that. Otherwise, they post a cheque to your Irish address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Legend100 wrote: »
    just a slight correction to this

even when you are resident in the year of departure - you don't get the full threshold of $18,200 unless you spend the full year in the country. You get a partial threshold based on the number of months you stayed.

leaving in Nov, you will get a threshold of $15,437. Can't remember if you said if you earned less than but if you did - then you will get all your tax back

http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Ind/Tax-free-threshold-if-you-are-leaving-Australia-permanently/

Has anyone any experience of this?
    Is it from the date that your Visa ends, or the date that you fly out of the country? How would ATO know either way?

Advertisement