Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advocates of limited immigration accused of being racist.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

guyjohn wrote: »
    The Irish government did not learn from the mistakes of other countries with a longer history of immigration . The law has changed far too slow to keep pace with past abuse of the system and it seems will continue to do so.

You've not demonstrated any real abuse of the system though, and failed to point out any 'mistake' in committing to full freedom of movement within the EU. Just because you don't care for the level of immigration at play doesn't mean it's a problem for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

To limit immigration of the new EU countries in 2006 for a start which others did.

What was the problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

To limit immigration of the new EU countries in 2006 for a start which others did.
    I think you mean 2004?

Facts are not your strong point, are they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭guyjohn

djpbarry wrote: »
    I think you mean 2004?

Facts are not your strong point, are they?

Does 1 year make such a difference .

Nodin wrote: »
    What was the problem with that?

Many came here and then lost jobs in the crash.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    You've not demonstrated any real abuse of the system though, and failed to point out any 'mistake' in committing to full freedom of movement within the EU. Just because you don't care for the level of immigration at play doesn't mean it's a problem for others.

Immigration also applies to those coming from outside the EU who do not have the same entitlement.
    I showed links in earlier posts to abuse of the system.

You have failed to even mention or show any positive side to immigration. I take it none exist . Time for you to demonstrate something beyond short comments.

Immigration also applies to those coming from outside the EU who do not have the same entitlement.
    I showed links in earlier posts to abuse of the system.
    No you didn't. You posted about anecdotal instances of people breaking rules - which you'll find in any area/law/issue. That's not an argument against current immigration (or asylum for that matter) policy.

You have failed to even mention or show any positive side to immigration. I take it none exist . Time for you to demonstrate something beyond short comments.
    This is a country built on immigration. The positives are well known to every family in this island - every emigrant is an immigrant. What does inward immigration do for us, other than provide a boost to the economy, promote a broader cultural engagement with the world, extend the gene pool, deter homogeny and xenophobia, and provide much better culinary options, etc? As I say - just because you've got some kneejerk reaction to the small number of foreigners amongst us, doesn't mean others share your concerns.

How is that a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Does 1 year make such a difference .
    I think you mean 2 years?

Arithmetic is obviously not a strong point either.
    And many have since left.
    Entitlement to what?

Yep. Again - What was the problem?
    guyjohn wrote:
    Immigration also applies to those coming from outside the EU who do not have the
    same entitlement.

Immigration from outside the EU is limited. Whats your point?

• Advertisement

No you didn't. You posted about anecdotal instances of people breaking rules - which you'll find in any area/law/issue. That's not an argument against current immigration (or asylum for that matter) policy.

This is a country built on immigration. The positives are well known to every family in this island - every emigrant is an immigrant. What does inward immigration do for us, other than provide a boost to the economy, promote a broader cultural engagement with the world, extend the gene pool, deter homogeny and xenophobia, and provide much better culinary options, etc? As I say - just because you've got some kneejerk reaction to the small number of foreigners amongst us, doesn't mean others share your concerns.

My only problem is with illegal immigration . I never stated I had a problem with immigration you assumed this only.
    This has made it more difficult for Irish citizens to legitimately sponsor a tourist visa for example.

Entitlement to what?

To reside here . my memory not arithmetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

My only problem is with illegal immigration . I never stated I had a problem with immigration you assumed this only.
    guyjohn wrote:
    You have failed to even mention or show any positive side to immigration. I take it none exist.
    Statements like that would tend to suggest that you do have a problem with immigration, illegal or otherwise.

Statements like that would tend to suggest that you do have a problem with immigration, illegal or otherwise.

You are twisting my words.

Entitlement to what?

I thought one of the rules was attack the post not the poster now you tell me my arithmetic is bad !

ehh;
    You have failed to even mention or show any positive side to immigration. I take it none exist .

No he's not. He's quoting them verbatim.

In case you have forgotten, they are your words from this post.

To reside here .

Clearly there is an entitlement for non-EU nationals to reside here, if they've been issued a visa to do so.

Clearly there is an entitlement for non-EU nationals to reside here, if they've been issued a visa to do so.

I did not know that .

• Advertisement

Built on emigration .Immigration to Ireland only begun 20 years ago the numbers were insignificant before this.

Built on emigration.

Every emigrant is an immigrant.

This has made it more difficult for Irish citizens to legitimately sponsor a tourist visa for example.

Yet when asked what the Irish government has failed to learn from others, you stated

"To limit immigration of the new EU countries in 2006 for a start which others did"
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89968773&postcount=91

Yet when asked what the Irish government has failed to learn from others, you stated

"To limit immigration of the new EU countries in 2006 for a start which others did"
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89968773&postcount=91

The restrictions on employment only . This would have prevented the unnecessary movement of people here to take up jobs that were not permanent.

In case you have forgotten, they are your words from this post.

are they my words . greece is the word.

are they my words
    Given that you posted it I'm going to hazard a guess and say yes.

No he's not. He's quoting them verbatim.

ad infinitim

The restrictions on employment only . This would have prevented the unnecessary movement of people here to take up jobs that were not permanent.

Exactly - so you're opposed to legal immigration, alongside illegal immigration - despite claiming otherwise. This flexibility with the truth is becoming something of a habit.

The purpose of the area is to allow the free movement of workers to seek employment - it wasn't set up to be a fancy tourist visa.

How do you know that the majority did not come here seeking permanent employment?

• Advertisement

The purpose of the area is to allow the free movement of workers to seek employment - it wasn't set up to be a fancy tourist visa.

How do you know that the majority did not come here seeking permanent employment?

In that case they came to seek temporary employment, welfare . as a tourist or to visit relatives unless you know another reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement