Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Galway a Foodie Mecca?

Options
  • 14-04-2014 5:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Is Galway really a foodie mecca?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,697 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »

Shhhh ... theres things the tourists don't need to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭deisedude

To be fair i think there is a lot of really nice restaurants in the city

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

deisedude wrote: »
    To be fair i think there is a lot of really nice restaurants in the city
    Isn't there everywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Isn't there everywhere?

Not really no.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

This actually seems to be a mostly unrelated question worthy of a thread of it's own.

Never heard Galway being described as a mecca for food lovers before though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

No, some great homemade food available but compared to other countries Ireland and Galway especially has no real cusine. Most restaurants have the same items on their menus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I think so, it's a fantastic place to eat out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

No, we don't have a Nando's.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,697 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Heaven is where the police are British Irish, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British Irish, and it is all organized by the Italians.

With adaptations from the interwebz.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

Sadly not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

If you are a foodie living in the west of Ireland then yes, it is better than Castlerea, Swinford, Tuam or Athlone. If you are a foodie living in Waterford and trying to decide where to spend a gourmet weekend and the choices are London, Bordeaux, Milan, Galway or Barcelona then I'd say no pick any of the other places - its a matter of scale.

Galway is a small city with a good selection of reasonably priced restaurants and if you want somewhere nice to bring your auntie for meat and spuds then there is ample choice in the €15-€25 bracket - if you want really good Italian pizza there is only one place and its not in town. If you want good Indian food then there isn't anywhere worth talking about and likewise if you want really good fish that hasn't been 'baked' in a half pound of butter or deep fried to destruction you are going to end up walking a long way.

Since The Archway closed there hasn't been anywhere that produced food of internationally high standards that wasn't served with a pile of chewy 'foraged' leaves(weeds) on grated beetroot and served on a piece of builders rubble. Once you have eaten everything at Kai, Il Viccolo, Ard Bia, Aniar, Antons and the Kitchen then you are probably better off buying the ingredients at the Saturday market and cooking for yourself.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Once you have eaten everything at Kai, Il Viccolo, Ard Bia, Aniar, Antons and the Kitchen then you are probably better off buying the ingredients at the Saturday market and cooking for yourself.

'c

Sadly largely true.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Sadly largely true.

....Oscars, McCambridges, Rouge, High St Café, Venice Italian, Cava/Lunares....(also think Kai is overrated)

And then there are fine restaurants just outside Galway in Barna, Moycullen etc

kai and ard bia are a little over rated imo, i just don't get the appeal as much any more. Oscars great for fish though, consistent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Was walking through town yesterday evening looking for somewhere new to eat and came across Venice (an Italian unsurprisingly). It's on Abbeygate Street Lower. Best pizza I've had in Galway yet! And overhearing the others in the restaurant everyone seemed to be commenting very positively on the food. If you look it up on google street view I think it was Trisha's sandwich bar when the photo was taken.

Also, had a steak in the Brasserie lately (Eglinton St). Expensive but also the best I've had in Galway by a long shot.

Birroc wrote: »
    ....Oscars, McCambridges, Rouge, High St Café, Venice Italian, Cava/Lunares....(also think Kai is overrated)

And then there are fine restaurants just outside Galway in Barna, Moycullen etc

But with the exception of Oscars maybe in that list, there's nothing you wouldn't attempt fairly successfully at home. I suppose I mean that while they're ok, they're nothing special.

McCambridges - I love the decor, atmosphere etc. but other than that I really can't understand the fuss.

Kai overrated? Maybe for lunch but its dinner is in a Galway context exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

No nice pizA in town? Pizza napoli is the beat pizza I've had in ireland and its on cross street.

ned14 wrote: »
    Was walking through town yesterday evening looking for somewhere new to eat and came across Venice (an Italian unsurprisingly). It's on Abbeygate Street Lower. Best pizza I've had in Galway yet! And overhearing the others in the restaurant everyone seemed to be commenting very positively on the food. If you look it up on google street view I think it was Trisha's sandwich bar when the photo was taken.

Also, had a steak in the Brasserie lately (Eglinton St). Expensive but also the best I've had in Galway by a long shot.

Excellent Italian alright.

Forgot about the Brasserie, was there for lunch twice lately & lovely food.

But with the exception of Oscars maybe in that list, there's nothing you wouldn't attempt fairly successfully at home. I suppose I mean that while they're ok, they're nothing special.

McCambridges - I love the decor, atmosphere etc. but other than that I really can't understand the fuss.

Kai overrated? Maybe for lunch but its dinner is in a Galway context exceptional.

In your opinion. Yes and in my opinion Kai is way overrated, I have had bad dinners there.

And no I wouldn't be able to "attempt fairly successfully at home" at the places I mentioned. I am not a trained chef. Just a trained taster!

Birroc wrote: »
    In your opinion.

Exactly. All our opinions here and each opinion is as valid as the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

If you are a foodie living in the west of Ireland then yes, it is better than Castlerea, Swinford, Tuam or Athlone. If you are a foodie living in Waterford and trying to decide where to spend a gourmet weekend and the choices are London, Bordeaux, Milan, Galway or Barcelona then I'd say no pick any of the other places - its a matter of scale.

Galway is a small city with a good selection of reasonably priced restaurants and if you want somewhere nice to bring your auntie for meat and spuds then there is ample choice in the €15-€25 bracket - if you want really good Italian pizza there is only one place and its not in town. If you want good Indian food then there isn't anywhere worth talking about and likewise if you want really good fish that hasn't been 'baked' in a half pound of butter or deep fried to destruction you are going to end up walking a long way.

Since The Archway closed there hasn't been anywhere that produced food of internationally high standards that wasn't served with a pile of chewy 'foraged' leaves(weeds) on grated beetroot and served on a piece of builders rubble. Once you have eaten everything at Kai, Il Viccolo, Ard Bia, Aniar, Antons and the Kitchen then you are probably better off buying the ingredients at the Saturday market and cooking for yourself.

'c
    Pizza/Pasta Napoli on Cross St is the best ive had anywhere outside of Naples. Anyone who doesnt rate their pizza has an invalid opinion im afraid.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Galway tends to punch above its weight generally.

In my opinion, this city does better than average in terms of the number and quality of its restaurants and cafes. For example, one of the few Michelin-starred restaurants outside Dublin is in Galway (not that I'm a great fan of Aniar or anything).

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Galway exceeds at casual dining. There are some tasty spots to go where you don't have to dress up. I love Rouge, Thai Garden, Asian Tea House, Cooke's, Oslo, Dail, Galleon (with kids).

I have never been to Aniar because I suspect it would push me outside my comfort zone. People who love the Aniar experience will go back again and again, I have no doubt the food is top notch but it's not on my radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Galway exceeds at casual dining. There are some tasty spots to go where you don't have to dress up. I love Rouge, Thai Garden, Asian Tea House, Cooke's, Oslo, Dail, Galleon (with kids).

+1 for Rouge. Very good value too.

You maybe, most people have no desire or the ability to cook anything bar the basics (I'm definitely including myself in that) so most stuff you get in restaurants is going to be a step up on what you make at home and a lot will be a big step up and a lot different.

I remember a restaurant out in Moycullen in an old period house, (off the beaten track) closed about 7 or 8 years, was always a pleasure to dine.
    Also Abalone on dominic street was one of my faves, miss these places the most.

You maybe, most people have no desire or the ability to cook anything bar the basics (I'm definitely including myself in that) so most stuff you get in restaurants is going to be a step up on what you make at home and a lot will be a big step up and a lot different.

Fair enough. Understood. It's just that with even the most basic skills you can cook as well as what is served in a lot of places in Galway. For instance, last week, I ate a €16 duck main course which consisted of overcooked duck breast (at home, put in pan to render/burn off fat and put in oven for a few minutes), mash (anyone can do mash) and assorted boiled veg with a gloopy sauce more like Chivers jam than anything. It's this sort of food that I find disappointing.

kefir32 wrote: »
    I remember a restaurant out in Moycullen in an old period house, (off the beaten track) closed about 7 or 8 years, was always a pleasure to dine.
    Also Abalone on dominic street was one of my faves, miss these places the most.

That was Moycullen House. Half of the experience was finding the place! It had a real sense of occasion to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but Kappa-Ya is easily some of the best Japanese food available outside of Japan. Most Japanese places this side of the world are pretty westernized to some degree, but Kappa-Ya is definitely the most authentic I've been to, the Katsudon there is just like I got over in Japan. The only other place I got a decent Katsudon was in London, and even then it wasn't as good.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Understood. It's just that with even the most basic skills you can cook as well as what is served in a lot of places in Galway. For instance, last week, I ate a €16 duck main course which consisted of overcooked duck breast (at home, put in pan to render/burn off fat and put in oven for a few minutes), mash (anyone can do mash) and assorted boiled veg with a gloopy sauce more like Chivers jam than anything. It's this sort of food that I find disappointing.

totally agree with this point

Advertisement