Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coins & Banknotes Valuation Sticky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I've had this coin for years, and always though it was a Roman coin, just realised it's Irish:o (Hiberno-Norse possibly)

Anyone able to shed some light on it - year, value etc?

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Qwerty? wrote: »
    I've had this coin for years, and always though it was a Roman coin, just realised it's Irish:o (Hiberno-Norse possibly)

Anyone able to shed some light on it - year, value etc?

It's actually one of the earliest coins of the Hiberno-Norse period, so from circa 995-1020. One of Ireland's very first series of coins, but not sure the exact variety as there's at least 10 of these that look similar in this series. Anyway it's a King Sihtric Anlafsson (silkbeard) who ruled Dublin and was defeated at the Battle of Clontarf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigtrygg_Silkbeard

Hard to put an exact value as there are some rare varieties and I don't know exactly which one this is, but it's in very good condition for the type and you're looking at between 200-300 at least. Assuming it's not one of the particularly rare ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Blade wrote: »
    It's actually one of the earliest coins of the Hiberno-Norse period, so from circa 995-1020. One of Ireland's very first series of coins, but not sure the exact variety as there's at least 10 of these that look similar in this series. Anyway it's a King Sihtric Anlafsson (silkbeard) who ruled Dublin and was defeated at the Battle of Clontarf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigtrygg_Silkbeard

Hard to put an exact value as there are some rare varieties and I don't know exactly which one this is, but it's in very good condition for the type and you're looking at between 200-300 at least. Assuming it's not one of the particularly rare ones.

Thanks for that. How would one go about finding out of it is particularly rare. Amazing to think its over 1000 years old and in such good condition.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Thanks for that. How would one go about finding out of it is particularly rare. Amazing to think its over 1000 years old and in such good condition.

Well of that particular series, there's only 2 that are particularly rare according to a book I have here. The legends of those would read either "OGSEN HEA MELNEM" or "SISIG RE+ ANGLSIO". I didn't look closely but if yours is neither of those then the rest are pretty much all similar in value. I could be off on the value too, you could stick that into an auction and get more, all depends on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pjmlmkb1

<Snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

pjmlmkb1 wrote: »

Please familiarise yourself with our forum charter: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054970957

No buying or selling in this forum. Use www.adverts.ie for any for sale/wanted items.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pjmlmkb1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

ow9654 wrote: »
    Post a few pictures of what he bought or list some of the things and i'll get a few prices for ya.

Though I can say I received a letter from them labelled 'Strictly Private' and it was simply an ad for a rip off silver plated coin...
    They put ads out there like they're a government company or something, almost assuring people that what they are getting is value for money and a sound investment...

Thanks for the offer, can someone just tell me a good place to bring these coins, that i can have them valuated and possibly sold? somewhere respectable - that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the offer, can someone just tell me a good place to bring these coins, that i can have them valuated and possibly sold? somewhere respectable - that would be much appreciated.

I really can't see any dealer wanting anything from the "Dublin Mint Office", but there's a coin fair on at the RDS next weekend 22/23rd if you want to try your luck there. Another option would be to flog them on Adverts like others are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

Hi, can someone give me an idea what the coins attached are worth if anything - I have put them beside a euro coin to give u a size comparison

Both are coins from Bahrain and years ago my uncle told me he was offered £300 pound for the smaller of the two from a jeweller (which I take with a pinch of salt) the smaller one is mint in a little plastic pouch of its own -

any pointers on where to find more info is appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

ROSSKI wrote: »
    Hi, can someone give me an idea what the coins attached are worth if anything - I have put them beside a euro coin to give u a size comparison

Both are coins from Bahrain and years ago my uncle told me he was offered £300 pound for the smaller of the two from a jeweller (which I take with a pinch of salt) the smaller one is mint in a little plastic pouch of its own -

any pointers on where to find more info is appreciated

Hi Rosski,

I think the smaller coin is a gold 10 dinars and the larger a silver 500 fils. Value wise I'd suggest checking eBay.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Hownowcow wrote: »
    Hi Rosski,

I think the smaller coin is a gold 10 dinars and the larger a silver 500 fils. Value wise I'd suggest checking eBay.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/370930481125?nav=SEARCH

This one is in its case and is going for $1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 morm66

Hi I'm really new to all this but here goes.
    I've had this coin since about 1996 it looks like its been struck twice with two different dates.
    I guess my question is ,is it of any value ?

morm66 wrote: »
    Hi I'm really new to all this but here goes.
    I've had this coin since about 1996 it looks like its been struck twice with two different dates.
    I guess my question is ,is it of any value ?

I could be wrong, but to me it looks like someone's attempt at faking an error coin. I've a number of reasons for suspecting this but it would be interesting to see what others think...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 morm66

ok that's interesting, just to say though, all scratches were on it when i came across this coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Blade wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but to me it looks like someone's attempt at faking an error coin. I've a number of reasons for suspecting this but it would be interesting to see what others think...

I have to agree, the rim and edge of the coin looks suspicious...

morm66 wrote: »
    ok that's interesting, just to say though, all scratches were on it when i came across this coin.

I'm not so much concerned about the scratches, but from my understanding of the minting process and the various errors that can occur, I don't see any possible way that this could be a mint error. The second impression is reversed on both sides and there's two different dates. AFAIK this is not something that could possibly happen at the minting process, it looks like someone sandwiched it between two other coins and gave it a good wallop with some sort of tool or machinery.

snaguy wrote: »
    Hi I just found a silver irish 2p coin 1971 is this worth anything do you know?

Looks like it was struck on the wrong metal. Should be worth a few quid, can never give an accurate valuation with something like this, but I'd imagine around 50 Euro.

snaguy wrote: »
    That's great never thought that . Thanks
    Did it happen much printing coins on wrong metal

Not really no, but people always kept these things aside so they are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

dolittle wrote: »
    wondering the value of these notes
    certainly not mint but not in bad condition

A near 40 year old £5 note is worth £2.79 more today. I've just checked my trusty drinks prices chart for the last century and a pint of Guinness in 1975 cost 26p. So the buying power of the fiver then was approx. 20 pints.

Now for €10 worth it's around two.

Moral of the story? Unless you've a unique mint unusual collector's item don't bother holding onto your money, it's much better spent on a good pint whatever the price.

BTW if anyone can suggest a current item worth hoarding for the future let me know....... maybe even start a trend by saying oh, let's see - since the arrival of the new €5 note maybe one of the old ones in uncirculated condition.
    Your turn........;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Hi Interesting point,, wouldnt hindsight be a great thing! old vinyls are getting really popular now shame I didnt hold any! as regards from items from today for the future will have to have a think on that one, and comeback.... Great post

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Barryooosh

Hi guys,
    I was going through a coin collection my grandfather left me and i found some older coins than the normal early 1900's that are in the collection and they have all been kept separate from the main collection. I have tried going to my nearest coin dealer guy but he's not one to trust as people sa. Ive come across just a few online but fiding it hard to get reliable details about them. What i would like to know is if the coins ive listed are rare or common or of any value. Sorry i cant post pictures as i'm only new on this and i don't have 50 comments on this yet. Here are the most interesting coins....

1853 napolean 111, cinq centimes, mint mark A, fair condition (bit worn in places)

1859 napolean 111, 1 franc, mint mark A, v.good condition (not worn at all and very clean)

1879 5 centimes, mint mark A, v.good condition.

1916 5 centimes, no mint mark, Daniel Dupuis name on both sides in tiny engraving, good condition

1864 canadian one cents coin, nova scotia at bottom of crown side, good condition

1876 Leopold 11, Belges, 2 cent with a small s and dot under s next to word cent, v.good condition

1894 states of jersey, one twenty fourth of a shilling, v.good condition

1900 Victoria, India, one quarter anna, fair condition.

1905 Edward V11, India, one quarter anna, good condition.

1876 Victoria, england, one shilling, v.good condition.

1920 George V, england, 3 pence, v.good condition.

1938 George V1, england, one shilling, excellent condition (shiny nd clean)

Would be much appreciated if i could get any info, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Anyone know how much the 2.5oz silver Eamon De Valera medal in the case is currently worth.

hexosan wrote: »
    Anyone know how much the 2.5oz silver Eamon De Valera medal in the case is currently worth.

I think dealers were asking 300 for those at the last coin fair. But I'm sure you could get them for much less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ow9654

hexosan wrote: »

People on adverts are asking €150-€170, seems about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 des keary

I have an old irish pound note in great condition dated 02-09-1939 & was wondering if it was worth anything.if anyone has any info i would appreciate it greatly if they could let me know.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Szarik102

Post a picture of it and someone will be able to give you a reasonably accurate valuation on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Tekken

Would anyone be able to tell me how much an Irish 10p coin from 1980 is worth.
    It's the one with the fish on the back.

Found it while cleaning and just curious as to how much it might be worth.
    Probably nothing I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Tekken wrote: »

A couple of Euro if uncirculated. Nothing otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ow9654

Tekken wrote: »

http://www.irishcoinage.com/DECCAT.HTM
    Pretty much nothing, if it was uncirculated (new) it would be worth €3!

Advertisement