Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Windows XP to Ubuntu

Options
  • 07-04-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

I hope I have put this in the right forum.

Anyway, with Windows XP not being supported by Microsoft from tomorrow onwards, I thought I would change the desktop computer (used by my mam and dad) to Ubuntu.

I have read how to do this and I would be confident that I would be able to. The only question I have about this is the need to burn the ISO file onto a disc. Because the desktop we have at home is quite old it can't burn CD's or DVD's so I can't use that to burn the file. My laptop however is able to do that. My laptop runs Vista and I'd prefer to keep it as I don't have any problem with it.

Could I download everything on my laptop and burn it onto a disc using my laptop and then install the disc on the desktop without my laptop losing Vista?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yes.

Downloading it and burning it to a cd/dvd changes nothing on your laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭garyegt

yes. all you are doing is burning a cd, it doesnt matter whats on it, just dont start up your computer with the disk in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If you have a USB drive that has more than 2GB capacity, burn the Ubuntu image onto it using this and boot to the USB rather than the CD drive.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

Did you know there is a windows installer with a graphical interface that will do most of the work for you?
    Download:http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer

It's as easy as installing any other software.

Recoil12 wrote: »
    Did you know there is a windows installer with a graphical interface that will do most of the work for you?

Thats only to be used for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and isnt generally the advised way to install Ubuntu. Especially seeing as the OP seems to want to do a clean install and get rid of XP (or so I assumed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=Download
    use this to burn image file, at 2x speed.
    burn iso file to a cd ,get ubuntu 32bit version,
    if pc has less than 4gig ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Recoil12 wrote: »

Wubi is supposed to install ubuntu under windows, so it's not any good for migration from windows xp. Correct me please if I'm wrong.

Native ubuntu installer is dead simple especially if you want to wipe out existing system. The hardest part is to find yourself on the world map to pick correct time zone ;)

BACKUP ,your music ,data, as a full install will make a new partition ,
    and likely wipe out the old data, windows folders.
    UNLESS you choose to do a dual boot linux install.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Wubi is supposed to install ubuntu under windows, so it's not any good for migration from windows xp. Correct me please if I'm wrong.

Native ubuntu installer is dead simple especially if you want to wipe out existing system. The hardest part is to find yourself on the world map to pick correct time zone ;)

Even if you want to keep your previous OS and set up a dual boot, the native installer will also do that for you. There is no need to use Wubi at all really. All you need to be able to do is create a bootable USB and boot into it.

http://seogadget.com/the-ubuntu-installation-guide/
    i think its easier make a linux live cd,
    boot from cd,
    Click install ububtu icon on the desktop.
    rather than usb install option, if you are a beginner , 1st time linux user.
    its not just a matter of copying a file to a usb drive.
    most 32bit version fit on a cdr disk, 650meg iso file size,approx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

If it's a really old PC I'd recommend having some fun and trying Ubuntu from a Live CD and then maybe Lubuntu (which is basically Ubuntu without some graphical bells and whistles)

See which one runs better for you.

Also check that your network card , wireless (of you have it) and speakers work OK.

Sounds like hassle but some people find it to be fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Don't give up on XP yet. Its not going to disappear.

use a cd version, and don't install on your hard disk unless your very happy.

IF you use the pc for shopping online,banking online,
    you are Vunerable to having personal account,; info,credit card info, financial data stolen ,
    acessed by malware , spyware ,
    as soon microsoft will stop providing support , and security updates, to ordinary users.
    SO a windows xp pc, online is like having a car that cannot be locked .

OF course millions of people will still use it,
    it,ll be just very risky to use it online.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Don't use Internet Explorer whatever you do.

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=38

this is a 2010 version of mint linux, a version of ubuntu,
    Fits on 1 cdr disk.
    MINT IS Similar to windows at least in menu layout.
    BURN ISO to cdr,use burn image mode.

That hasnt been supported since 2010, I wouldnt advise you to be installing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Just tried to install Linux Mint to dual boot on a laptop that was dog slow with Windows 7 (upgraded from XP) and it has not gone well
    It's wiped out the OS completely so will not boot into Mint or win7

Ah well..... Back to the drawing board!
    At least I have a genuine copy of win7 that I can try to reinstall and start again.

Moral of the story... Be careful with installs of Linux or any other os. Make sure you back up your data first

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭tommer

Hi my laptop runs on vista will it be affected by microsoft not covering xp thi may be a silly question but i not computer wizard, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

tommer wrote: »
    Hi my laptop runs on vista will it be affected by microsoft not covering xp thi may be a silly question but i not computer wizard, thanks

You'll be OK for a while with Vista. Keep it updated and get 1 good free AV, latest versions of Flash,Java,Adobe reader etc if you use them.

EDIT:
    April 11, 2017 for Vista
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/lifecycle

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭tommer

Thanks for that info may start saving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

OP - if you and your parents are not competent computer users I wouldn't advise installing ubuntu - it's no where near as user friendly as windows. You need to know how to get around ubuntu and run installs from the terminal as root / admin users.
    Ubuntu sounds great and probably is for those who are into it but if all you want to do is browse the internet I'd say stay with XP. Just because Microsoft support ends from today doesn't mean it's vulnerable straight away - your home PC will be quite secure as long as you have a good antivirus (I'd suggest microsoft security essentials or avast) and a good anti malware (malwarebytes).
    If you're really worried buy windows 7 and install that - I'd recommend a fresh install not an upgrade from XP or else consider a chrome book. It has the android OS which is much more point and click.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    OP - if you and your parents are not competent computer users I wouldn't advise installing ubuntu - it's no where near as user friendly as windows. You need to know how to get around ubuntu and run installs from the terminal as root / admin users.
    [..]
    Reality check - no, it's simply not true. I have 2 users (ubuntu/mint) who are not aware that command line exists. Last time I had to do some support was about a year ago, maybe more. They even do release upgrade without my help (clicking "install upgrade" is not that hard).

but if all you want to do is browse the internet I'd say stay with XP

That's exactly what most experts are telling people NOT to do.

Any Ubunutu install will get you online super easily.
    Plus you can try it with absolutely no risk, without installing anything. if you run it from the CD drive.

See here
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install

Ubuntu sounds great and probably is for those who are into it but if all you want to do is browse the internet I'd say stay with XP. Just because Microsoft support ends from today doesn't mean it's vulnerable straight away - your home PC will be quite secure as long as you have a good antivirus (I'd suggest microsoft security essentials or avast) and a good anti malware (malwarebytes)..

I'd have to disagree with pretty much everything you've said there. You dont have to go anywhere near the command line these days with Ubuntu, and saying that XP will be secure with a good antivirus is also well wide of the mark.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Ubuntu sounds great and probably is for those who are into it but if all you want to do is browse the internet I'd say stay with XP. Just because Microsoft support ends from today doesn't mean it's vulnerable straight away - your home PC will be quite secure as long as you have a good antivirus (I'd suggest microsoft security essentials or avast) and a good anti malware (malwarebytes).
    If you're really worried buy windows 7 and install that - I'd recommend a fresh install not an upgrade from XP or else consider a chrome book. It has the android OS which is much more point and click.

Ubuntu is about as point and click as it gets these days... :confused::confused::confused: Have been giving serious thought of installing it on the parents computer in place of windows because I reckon they'll find it easier to use....

I tried it running from a CD last week and it wasn't simple to install adobe flash player - there was no download and double click to install?
    Am I missing something?

I tried it running from a CD last week and it wasn't simple to install adobe flash player - there was no download and double click to install?
    Am I missing something?

Did you try looking in the Ubuntu Software Centre that comes out-of-the-box ?

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/features/web-browsing

Also available in the Ubuntu Software Centre:

Adobe Flash Player

Adobe Flash is a multimedia platform used to add animation, video, and interactivity to web pages.

I went to the adobe site and downloaded there - the instructions were unpack, open terminal, run as root and so on - I couldn't be bothered.
    Google it, download it and install it - that's what most non tech users want - they don't want to have to read a readme file or follow instructions.

Google it, download it and install it - that's what most non tech users want - they don't want to have to read a readme file or follow instructions.

.. which is exactly why it's available from the Ubuntu Software Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

won't Windows xp still be safe

if you have latest antivirus,malware and firewall?

no?

Advertisement