Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming charges to end

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

do americans have to pay roaming charges when they move from state to state in their home country too? or even in well any country with a state system like australians in austraulia too for example also.

a quick google looks like its just us euro chumps, seriously I mean wtf, how come the eu got away with it or rather imposed whats looking like some ****in charade now, now that they are suddenly saying 'ah no be grand, roam away now we were just having a laugh before and the joke was so good it never got old :D '. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

On the subject of mobile phones and charges...

Sick of my smartphone taking up to a euro credit each day. Something to do with connecting to vodafone and the internet. Even if you dont use the internet. Was reading that the solution is to swtich off any internet features on your phone. Thne whats the point of having a smartphone :confused:

Sick of my smartphone taking up to a euro credit each day. Something to do with connecting to vodafone and the internet. Even if you dont use the internet. Was reading that the solution is to swtich off any internet features on your phone. Thne whats the point of having a smartphone :confused:

facepalm.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

The solution is to switch plans so you can get free internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MS.ing wrote: »
    do americans have to pay roaming charges when they move from state to state in their home country too? or even in well any country with a state system like australians in austraulia too for example also.

a quick google looks like its just us euro chumps, seriously I mean wtf, how come the eu got away with it or rather imposed whats looking like some ****in charade now, now that they are suddenly saying 'ah no be grand, roam away now we were just having a laugh before and the joke was so good it never got old :D '. :rolleyes:

Is each state in America a separate country? Does each mobile provider have a different company operating in each state? Does your phone switch to a different network when going to different states or are you always on your own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The solution is to switch plans so you can get free internet.

I top up by 20 euro a month and get free texts to all networks and something like 250mb of internet usage (which I never come close to using) When I am in my house I use my wifi....Vodafone still takes credit each day and I dont make calls. More of a texting man :p
    facepalm.jpeg

.jpeg? :p Irony being you couldnt even link to an image but took the time to write .jpeg :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

In fairness, roaming charges are only a fraction of what they were a few years ago so long as you have the right plan(s). My bill in 2004 was averaging €150 a month, it's less than €30 now. No such thing as unlimited internet then either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I top up by 20 euro a month and get free texts to all networks and something like 250mb of internet usage (which I never come close to using) When I am in my house I use my wifi....Vodafone still takes credit each day and I dont make calls. More of a texting man :p

.jpeg? :p Irony being you couldnt even link to an image but took the time to write .jpeg :pac:

Switch to Three. 20 euro a month gets you free any network texts, free Three calls, free any network weekend calls, and unlimited data. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is each state in America a separate country? Does each mobile provider have a different company operating in each state?
    There are plenty of companies like Vodafone that operate across all of Europe, there are no technical reasons for having roaming charges, I can't imagine that putting a phone on a cell network is all that much different from connecting a PC to the internet, which isn't all that different from adding a PC to a local network.

These companies are more than likely using the same standardised equipment in every country so there's little reason for the charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

...........................................................................................................................................................................

No roaming charges between States
    Is each state in America a separate country? Does each mobile provider have a different company operating in each state? Does your phone switch to a different network when going to different states or are you always on your own?

Each State (to all intents and purposes) is a separate country. Each have their own laws/taxes/building codes etc. Providers are nationwide so no need to float to a different network when crossing State lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

your phone is probably doing app updates in the background you can turn that off in the app store settings, or just get a data allowance that'll stop the daily charges.

Think of a phone as like a laptop, even if you're connected to the net but not surfing anything it's still using some sort of data traffic in miniscule amounts. If you#re at home just turn off your mobile data and leave wifi on, having both on is just running down your battery faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

ScumLord wrote: »
    There are plenty of companies like Vodafone that operate across all of Europe, there are no technical reasons for having roaming charges, I can't imagine that putting a phone on a cell network is all that much different from connecting a PC to the internet, which isn't all that different from adding a PC to a local network.

These companies are more than likely using the same standardised equipment in every country so there's little reason for the charge.

There is a cost associated with facilitating inter-cellular network roaming, mainly due to authentication and accounting procedures. The operators were taking the complete piss out of it for years, though.

It's not just "Vodafone europe" though. It's lots of separate companies. If your with Vodafone and go to Germany say , your not always roaming on Vodafone Germany unless you manually select it and then you might not have coverage everywhere. What about companies that don't operate in the country your in?

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Each State (to all intents and purposes) is a separate country. Each have their own laws/taxes/building codes etc. Providers are nationwide so no need to float to a different network when crossing State lines.

That was my point. Its different in Europe, where we actually are separate countries with different languages, currencies etc you cant compare us to the US.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

So does this mean I can get a phone contract from a mobile operator in, say, Spain and use it over here with no difference as to data/text/call charges?

The cellphone companies did this because the politicians allowed it to happen. A lot of jiggery-pokery went on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm pretty sure americans have to pay to receive all calls and stuff anyway, they get charged more for mobiles and stuff than we do

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2010/10/us-canada-lead-the-world-in-expensive-cell-packages/
    Mobile users in the US and Canada tend to pay more for a complete cell phone package than anyone else in the world
    (The US and Canada's per-minute rate was doubled in the report because customers pay for both incoming and outgoing calls.)

Again, the US was among the top three when it came to expensive texts (and again, the US rate was doubled because we pay for both incoming and outgoing texts)

Imagine paying for incoming texts

• Advertisement

That was my point. Its different in Europe, where we actually are separate countries with different languages, currencies etc you cant compare us to the US.

It is pretty much like the United States of Europe. Each State makes it's own laws but can be overridden by the Federal government - just like the European Parliament. Each State HAS it's own currency (on one side) with the USA stamp on the other - just like the Euro coins. As regards the languages .......... fancy overhearing a conversation between someone from the Bayou in Louisiana and a fisherman in Maine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The EU: is there anything we can't do?

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure americans have to pay to receive all calls and stuff anyway, they get charged more for mobiles and stuff than we do

.......................................................................................................................................................................................

Imagine paying for incoming texts

Especially the spam ones :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

Restrict your phone to wifi and use the likes of Skype, Viber, Tango etc. I'll be out of the country a lot this year and I'm fecked if I'm paying roaming charges when there's so many free options.

Restrict your phone to wifi and use the likes of Skype, Viber, Tango etc. I'll be out of the country a lot this year and I'm fecked if I'm paying roaming charges when there's so many free options.

Not trying to be personal Mammanabammana ............ but did the priest that christened you have a bit of a stststammammer?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

Not trying to be personal Mammanabammana ............ but did the priest that christened you have a bit of a stststammammer?

He pronounced it perfectly. But the source was a perfectly articulated 'mammanabammana' from a YouTube video of a child talking pure gibberish in the back seat of her father's car. So we must blame the children. Well, child.

He pronounced it perfectly. But the source was a perfectly articulated 'mammanabammana' from a YouTube video of a child talking pure gibberish in the back seat of her father's car. So we must blame the children. Well, child.

No roaming charges between States

cheers thought so and knew it! which brings me to my real question how could this possibly have happened in the eu apart from some ****ed up corruption and why did we all say " ah ye bastards, but here *opens wallet*" :confused::confused:

:o for us :(

:mad: :bangheadsmiley:

I miss bang head smiley :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

You don't have to stop using WiFi, just the phones 3G connection (and turn it back on the days you explicitly want to use it). Even if you aren't using the internet, if you have 3G turned on your phone is, so it can maintain a connection to a server for receiving emails or internet messages or whatever.

Advertisement