Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail Drivers

Options
  • 30-03-2014 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, new to this forum so apologies if this is posted in wrong area...

I am a qualified driver in the UK on intercity stuff, desperate to relocate to Ireland, preferably Dublin. Having no luck at all, and I know IR are not exactly recruiting , but does anyone have any hints or tips?

I have heard of IR taking on qualified UK drivers in the past so am hoping there is a slim chance?

Any advice would be greatfuly received.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the story I hear is it's a closed shop, you have to be born into the Clan to get in. Try NIR perhaps? or LUAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Friend of mine was a London Tube train driver, now drives on the DART, when he moved to Dublin about 15 years ago, he had to work as a Guard for a year or so until he could be trained to drive DART's.

Procedures might have changed since those days? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

verfold wrote: »
    Hi, new to this forum so apologies if this is posted in wrong area...

I am a qualified driver in the UK on intercity stuff, desperate to relocate to Ireland, preferably Dublin. Having no luck at all, and I know IR are not exactly recruiting , but does anyone have any hints or tips?

I have heard of IR taking on qualified UK drivers in the past so am hoping there is a slim chance?

Any advice would be gratefully received.....

forget it ,not a hope in hell, closed shop,father to son/friend/cousin.bosses son...................

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Forget it ,not a hope in hell, closed shop,father to son/friend/cousin.bosses son...................

Good sound advice there Verfold...up to you whether you take heed of it or not....:rolleyes:

If you decide to ignore it,then Purplepanda.s response may provide some clues as to an alternative viewpoint.

IR do not directly recruit to the Loco Driver grade,it is all done through a progression from within,not as frequent as in the past,however there are encouraging signs that another appointment drive is in the offing.

I would,for sure,send a (Comprehensive) CV to the Irish Rail Human Resources Dept,making sure to particularly emphasise your currency in any added Safety Related tickets...No harm in marketing yourself !

OR...as Stella Virgo knows so well....the glass is half empty so don't bother....;)

Your choice !! :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 verfold

Absolutely, I refuse to believe it could be a completley closed shop. After all surely it would make excellent economic sense for IR to want to employ fully qualified drivers with excellent safety/attendence records? This would potentially save a fortune in training costs....

Thanks for the replies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I know a guy who has moved from the UK as a driver and thought he would get in with his experience, however 4 years later still no luck. This despite trying desperately with IE and even going for the who you know.

There is a recruitment ban on IE, so you won't even get a foot in the door.

Then even if you do, in Ireland and especially in IE you need to know someone on the inside to put a good word for you.

I would advise you not to go for it. It may change in a few years, but not at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Absolutely, I refuse to believe it could be a completley closed shop. After all surely it would make excellent economic sense for IR to want to employ fully qualified drivers with excellent safety/attendence records? This would potentially save a fortune in training costs....

Thanks for the replies...

As the other posters have said, Irish Rail only recruit and train drivers from within. Given that you are a driver, you will appreciate that you will be learning from scratch how to drive and troubleshoot several classes of rolling stock, a new rule book and to get new route knowledge's. All of this takes time so even if they allowed you to apply from new as a driver, you would still have to learn from scratch.

Thanks, all good points.

However, as some of you may be aware, over the next couple of years, we are all being issued with European train drivers licences, which in theory should allow qualified drivers to move around Europe more freely.

I wonder what impact this may have on future IE recruitment???

None I'd say, you'd still have to re-learn the ropes. Very little would be the same as your current job when you think about it. Different traction, different routes, different job structure, different signalling etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A driver mate of mine in a uk TOC was looking into relocating to Ireland a number of years ago, but he would have to faff around the platform for a bit first, and he wouldn't have all the benefits he'd get in Irish Rail compared to where he was. So he stayed put.

Add to that mix the current recruitment freeze. So yeah, doesn't look promising. If you're still game, I'd fire in a CV anyway even if it will fall behind the filing cabinet. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Stamps are so last century, send it in via the auld interweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Dad works for Irish Rail for over 35 years...(not a driver) and tried to get me in a few years ago and couldn't, its a closed shop and they have not hired for years. Retiring staff are not being replaced etc and promotion is done from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

corktina wrote: »
    the story I hear is it's a closed shop, you have to be born into the Clan to get in. Try NIR perhaps? or LUAS?

Dont believe those fairy stories Tina :).

forget it ,not a hope in hell, closed shop,father to son/friend/cousin.bosses son...................

Not true. Plenty of people with no relations and from different countries work there and all eligible to apply to be a driver when the vacancies pop up.

Stamps are so last century, send it in via the auld interweb.

Nothing better than handing it in person.

yew_tree wrote: »
    Dad works for Irish Rail for over 35 years...(not a driver) and tried to get me in a few years ago and couldn't, its a closed shop and they have not hired for years. Retiring staff are not being replaced etc and promotion is done from within.

They hired a load of temporary protection staff for various projects a few years ago and some of them are now train driving or moved to other areas and are now full time . Some were let go once the project was finished. If your Dad worked there for over 35 years then im suprised that he couldnt have got you one of them jobs.
    There are lads working there that are only in the company less than 4 years so there is no harm in handing in a CV . If its not in then you cant win etc.
    Of course promotion is done from within , they cant promote someone that isnt in the company.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Nothing better than handing it in person.

OP is in the uk, should travel over specially just to hand in a cv??:pac:

Bring it with him when he relocates :).

Well im in Dublin pretty regularly anyway as all my partners family are here.
    If I was to hand a CV in in person, who would you reccomend I hand it too?

• Advertisement

I think you should take a serious look at my earlier suggestion of applying to the LUAS. Ok so it may not be as interesting as CIE but it is an independent company with no recruitment freeze that I know of and you may have a much better chance of getting in there. ALso NIR might be a oossibility

Well im in Dublin pretty regularly anyway as all my partners family are here.
    If I was to hand a CV in in person, who would you reccomend I hand it too?

Put it for the attention of H/R ICCN . Put in it that you also have an interest in being a level crossing operator to begin with and you may get a foot in as they are always short on crossing operators. Once you are in then you can apply for a drivers job when they come up. It might not be for a while as a course has just finished and the drivers set to be passed out.
    Hand it in at the main office on Amiens street. Its the red brick building across from the North Star hotel just before the railway bridge.

More to Irish Rail than the barriers at Connolly Fred.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Put in it that you also have an interest in being a level crossing operator to begin with and you may get a foot in as they are always short on crossing operators. .

Can't imagine why they are short on gatekeepers, it's such a cushy number :D

They apply to become train drivers or get drafted to fill a gap somewhere else. Gatekeeping is the entry level job and not much uptake on the post from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭ALS

All this talk of nepotism and closed shop is codswallop ,I applied 5 years ago to join Irish Rail as a driver, I worked on the platform for 2 weeks and then went to Inchicore to train as a driver, I had no relation to anyone in the company ,
    In my class there were only 3 out of the 8 trainees with any real experience in the railway and one of these had just relocated as a train driver from the UK with his family.
    At the moment there is a recruitment embargo in Irish Rail but they are running short of drivers and pretty soon they will have no choice but to advertise so I would say send in your CV , you have nothing to loose and ignore alot of the doom and gloom that has been written on here as its mostly made up and guesswork.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

ALS wrote: »
    All this talk of nepotism and closed shop is codswallop ,I applied 5 years ago to join Irish Rail as a driver, I worked on the platform for 2 weeks and then went to Inchicore to train as a driver, I had no relation to anyone in the company ,
    In my class there were only 3 out of the 8 trainees with any real experience in the railway and one of these had just relocated as a train driver from the UK with his family.
    At the moment there is a recruitment embargo in Irish Rail but they are running short of drivers and pretty soon they will have no choice but to advertise so I would say send in your CV , you have nothing to loose and ignore alot of the doom and gloom that has been written on here as its mostly made up and guesswork.:)

+1 to that ALS.

Anything to do with a CIE Group company seems to bring out the Brothers Grimm in people....whenever I see this ould "Nepotism" guff, I reach for my Face-Palming smiley....only to find somebody in CIE management has stolen it off the Boards page !!!...Conspiracy I tells yiz....:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Thanks for some of the encouraging responses...

The nepotism claim is also often levelled at certain Intercity companies here in the UK, and when I joined the railway, I never believed I would be a HST driver, I think alot of it comes from those who dont put in the effort.

Re NIR -do they recruit from the UK then? If I was an NIR driver, would that make me eligible to drive for IR or are the rulebooks / traction completley seperate?

Re LUAS that is also most definitely an option...

Advertisement