Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap card prices

Options
  • 23-02-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi folks
    So I attending to college, however the cost for travel is very expensive, I putted on part time course (mon,wed,friday and second saturday) the cost takes around 17 euro per week, I thought about leap card but it seems its more expensive than normal bus ticket... Could somebody tell me how it works?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Leap card fares are cheaper than the normal bus fares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

All the information is here:

http://www.leapcard.ie

And a full list of bus fares here:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Fare-Information/Fares1/

Leap card tends to work out a lot cheaper, I use it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Igor2155

But how it works? I heard that you can top up a leap card for 8 euro and when it reach the amount than it will take 8 euro per week? (I'm using only one bus)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Igor2155 wrote: »
    But how it works? I heard that you can top up a leap card for 8 euro and when it reach the amount than it will take 8 euro per week? (I'm using only one bus)

www.leapcard.ie will answer your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

No 1:
    Find out how much the trip costs
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/Fare-Calculator/

No 2:
    Ask the driver to discount that fare from your Leap card

No 3:
    When it reaches the cap (https://www.leapcard.ie/en/PageSetting/ContentViewer.aspx?Val=T/HcRN0lgkhyO2TJbCpdXbpkQ6D59bgR9MwK7i5q52U2rfQVZcNw%2BAb2e13wL37V62K83icu4wP/KxugVQHB8/tfq8sS44StQmsdGiKYqRWG4lf%2Bgc7EYaq1dJckxC1SOs8Oi5WHyaggCxyPdGXNqCkz6KJl/C2vRG9pBSEkDcc%3D&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1) it automatically stops counting, but you have to keep asking the driver for the fare.

I hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are many ticket options available.

Leap Card is cheapest for those who make occasional journeys. Weekly / monthly / annual tickets are cheapest for those who make lots of (longer) journeys. Certain special tickets like the Rambler and Travel 90 suit some people.

First off, work out what your cash fares would be. http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fare-Calculator/ Note that if you are 16 or over, these would be adult fares, not child fares. Do you travel at the weekend? Do you use trams and trains?

If you are a student in a recognised college, you can get student weekly / monthly / annual tickets. http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Student-Tickets/ You will need a www.studenttravelcard.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Joaquin223

Well, it depends. In some circumstances it would work out cheaper to use the normal bus ticket than the leap card fares. Depends how much you use the bus really. This will show you leap card capping, the maximum amount that will be taken from your leap card daily/weekly. (Maybe where you got the 8 euro a week from?)

But, if you're not going to use the bus enough for this to be worth it, maybe the normal tickets would suit you better. (here/here)

Okay thanks all for response, so I'm 21 years old, I only travel by one bus (39a) from Ongar to Dublin city, it seems that weekly adult leap card costs 20 euro per week, I have student card with my photo Id, I attending to the NCI college

Okay thanks all for response, so I'm 21 years old, I only travel by one bus (39a) from Ongar to Dublin city, it seems that weekly adult leap card costs 20 euro per week, I have student card with my photo Id, I attending to the NCI college

A 5 day Student bus pass costs €20 plus it covers you for other trips while the pass is active. If you can stretch to it, a 30 day pass another option and the overall cost works out cheaper again.

By stretching you mean top up?

• Advertisement

By stretching you mean top up?

No. Paying for a monthly ticket works out cheaper overall per day than a 5 day ticket assuming that you will use it for the whole month.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Hmmmm. Yet another thread which tells me that Leapcard have a significant (and worsening) Public Relations/Promotional problem.

We are told,via Politicians and Senior Administrators,that Leapcard is powering ahead,with over 400,000 Cards in use.

I,on a totally anecodtal basis,take issue with this figure.

Leapcard may well have 400,000 CARDS out there in the ether,but whether 400,000 PEOPLE are regularly using them for their commute is another issue altogether.

However,I do know that Leapcard,on a daily basis,have VERY accurate statistics on the amount,and nature,of ALL Leapcard journeys made,so somebody at their lower levels actually knows the TRUE situation.

There is now a VERY significant number of regular commuters who have a Leapcard,but who have NEVER topped it up after it went out of credit following it's initial outing.

Figures from TfL in London indicate that 44% of their remaining cash paying customers HAVE an Oystercard in their possession but without credit.....Human Nature does'nt really vary that much...Irish Sea or not !

Igor2155,s post raises several pertinent issues,from the ever present "Student" related one(s),to the various issues surrounding Leapcard Purchase,Top-Up's,Load Points etc etc.....

From an initial reading Igor2155's gaze appears to have focused upon the CHILD Leapcard initial cost of €8 (€3 Deposit + €5 Credit) or perhaps the CHILD Leapcard Weekly Cap (An absolute steal at €8.20).

Igor2155,by his own admission,does not satisfy the criteria for use of a CHILD Leapcard.

I am concerned however,that a 21 year old (Third Level+?) student,when faced with the end-product of an ITS scheme which has cost US €40 Million plus,still walks away with a highly inaccurate understanding of Leapcard's BASIC operations.

THAT indicates,to me,a SERIOUS lack of success on several levels.

However,for the purposes of this thread we should focus on the corporate issues raised for the NTA/Leapcard.

By far and away the most serious issue,is for the NTA/Leapcard to actually acknowledge that Problems exist,as currently they persist with holding the official PR line that all is well....everything is progressing to plan and there is nothing to see.....

Leapcard is now on a plateau.

Those regular commuters who value the principles of an efficient and intelligent Integrated Ticketing System,switched over to Leapcard asap...these were followed by the second group,those who waited and watched,before committing themselves and then by the third group...the reluctants...this group normally chose Cash and would have been always eagle eyed to spot a delayed change ticket or a wrongly keyed stage,what forced their hand was the daily realization that the platform operetta was now costing THEM c.20% extra EVERY journey....coughs softened rapidly after this realization dawned...;)

It's fair to say that the vast majority of Leapcard "Switchers" are enjoying the new features such as capping and the bit of flexibility now offered by Multi-Use caps etc.

It's equally fair to suggest that a significant number of Leapcard Switchers remain reluctant,for some quite significant reasons,such as poor Payzone Agent coverage,and poor Payzone Agent performance.

However,THE most oft raised issue with me is the On-Line Top-UP and the lack of load-points for those Leapcard Customers who do not reside near a Payzone Agent or Luas/DART point...If Leapcard wish to retain and/increase its penetration,this Load-Point issue needs IMMEDIATE attention.

As for the OP....well I'd support the good advice already given by the regulars on here.....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

No. Paying for a monthly ticket works out cheaper overall per day than a 5 day ticket assuming that you will use it for the whole month.

A 30 day rambler is valid for any 30 days until the end if next year
    A five day rambler is valid for any five days till the same dim and distant future

So if there are a few 4 (or3) day weeks (St Patricks, Easter/Holy Week ) the ramblers are better value as they're good for next time, while weekly or monthly tickets are only good for the week/month. Something to consider if you're sick or on holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Hmmmm. Yet another thread which tells me that Leapcard have a significant (and worsening) Public Relations/Promotional problem.

We are told,via Politicians and Senior Administrators,that Leapcard is powering ahead,with over 400,000 Cards in use.

I,on a totally anecodtal basis,take issue with this figure.

Leapcard may well have 400,000 CARDS out there in the ether,but whether 400,000 PEOPLE are regularly using them for their commute is another issue altogether.

However,I do know that Leapcard,on a daily basis,have VERY accurate statistics on the amount,and nature,of ALL Leapcard journeys made,so somebody at their lower levels actually knows the TRUE situation.

There is now a VERY significant number of regular commuters who have a Leapcard,but who have NEVER topped it up after it went out of credit following it's initial outing.

Figures from TfL in London indicate that 44% of their remaining cash paying customers HAVE an Oystercard in their possession but without credit.....Human Nature does'nt really vary that much...Irish Sea or not !

Igor2155,s post raises several pertinent issues,from the ever present "Student" related one(s),to the various issues surrounding Leapcard Purchase,Top-Up's,Load Points etc etc.....

From an initial reading Igor2155's gaze appears to have focused upon the CHILD Leapcard initial cost of €8 (€3 Deposit + €5 Credit) or perhaps the CHILD Leapcard Weekly Cap (An absolute steal at €8.20).

Igor2155,by his own admission,does not satisfy the criteria for use of a CHILD Leapcard.

I am concerned however,that a 21 year old (Third Level+?) student,when faced with the end-product of an ITS scheme which has cost US €40 Million plus,still walks away with a highly inaccurate understanding of Leapcard's BASIC operations.

THAT indicates,to me,a SERIOUS lack of success on several levels.

However,for the purposes of this thread we should focus on the corporate issues raised for the NTA/Leapcard.

By far and away the most serious issue,is for the NTA/Leapcard to actually acknowledge that Problems exist,as currently they persist with holding the official PR line that all is well....everything is progressing to plan and there is nothing to see.....

Leapcard is now on a plateau.

Those regular commuters who value the principles of an efficient and intelligent Integrated Ticketing System,switched over to Leapcard asap...these were followed by the second group,those who waited and watched,before committing themselves and then by the third group...the reluctants...this group normally chose Cash and would have been always eagle eyed to spot a delayed change ticket or a wrongly keyed stage,what forced their hand was the daily realization that the platform operetta was now costing THEM c.20% extra EVERY journey....coughs softened rapidly after this realization dawned...;)

It's fair to say that the vast majority of Leapcard "Switchers" are enjoying the new features such as capping and the bit of flexibility now offered by Multi-Use caps etc.

It's equally fair to suggest that a significant number of Leapcard Switchers remain reluctant,for some quite significant reasons,such as poor Payzone Agent coverage,and poor Payzone Agent performance.

However,THE most oft raised issue with me is the On-Line Top-UP and the lack of load-points for those Leapcard Customers who do not reside near a Payzone Agent or Luas/DART point...If Leapcard wish to retain and/increase its penetration,this Load-Point issue needs IMMEDIATE attention.

As for the OP....well I'd support the good advice already given by the regulars on here.....;)

I just registered my student travel card as a leap, i am shocked at how poor the info is. My question is if i top this card up (with a 5 day student rambler for 20 euro) can i just hop on a bus tomorrow? What is this whole load location? It says a nominated place to collect my online top up. I dont get it i am topping up online......terribly confused........
    Maybe im just tired but i dont want to nominate my local dart station (which is closer than the luas) incase it takes money off me for going on the dart which i wont be.
    Pain in the bum tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The problem is that you have to physically load the product / travel credit onto the card. That requires a live connection, which the buses do not have. Hence you need to go to a payzone agent, LUAS machine or Irish Rail ticket machine to get the card updated.

Alternatively, you can just walk into your local payzone agent and hand over your €20 and they will do it there and then for you, rather than initiating it online.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The problem is that you have to physically load the product / travel credit onto the card. That requires a live connection, which the buses do not have. Hence you need to go to a payzone agent, LUAS machine or Irish Rail ticket machine to get the card updated.

Alternatively, you can just walk into your local payzone agent and hand over your €20 and they will do it there and then for you, rather than initiating it online.

Is any shop a payzone agent? or say where i used to get the physical ticket before leap?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There's over 400 payzone agents in Dublin - most newsagents are.

You can find the nearest one using this link:
    http://www.payzone.ie/paywithpayzone.jsp?pt=74

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

Best to use cash for leap related transactions - I've been refused service when trying to pay by credit/debit cards in a number of payzone outlets.

stop wrote: »
    Best to use cash for leap related transactions - I've been refused service when trying to pay by credit/debit cards in a number of payzone outlets.

JEEZ...!...When,oh WHEN are the NTA going to deal with the simmering cauldron of commercial ruin that this PayZone thing has become.....:o

Even ONE person who has been refused a Plastic Transaction for Leapcard will pewrcolate through as a Leapcard Issue...This will not improve Unless The NTA get authoratitive with Payzone....either they sell the product to ALL payment modes or they lose the franchise....:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

JEEZ...!...When,oh WHEN are the NTA going to deal with the simmering cauldron of commercial ruin that this PayZone thing has become.....:o

Even ONE person who has been refused a Plastic Transaction for Leapcard will pewrcolate through as a Leapcard Issue...This will not improve Unless The NTA get authoratitive with Payzone....either they sell the product to ALL payment modes or they lose the franchise....:eek:

This as far as i am aware is a dublin bus issue, i have NEVER purchased a bus ticket in my local shop by card.......they wont allow me, even if im buying 100 quids worth of shopping there too....so they tell me they need cash for the bus ticket, so i ask them for 20 quid cashback.....apparently dublin bus dont leave them enough wiggle room to turn any profit on the tickets and as such they only accept cash for them, CRAZY

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The issue is not solely a leap thing to them. They are just looking to pass the charge of it onto the customer because there's no money for'em otherwise. I don't agree with it myself, but I see why they do it. The footfall from it is worth nothing to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

Try buying a lotto ticket, paying for less than €5 groceries or paying for a haircut with a debit or credit card and see how far you get. The margin on some products is less than the cost of the credit card transaction and far, far less than the cost of a debit card transaction. This is why merchants won't let you pay for them with card and why the NTA presumably have no problem with it.

Why can't I pay for my Dublin Bus cash ticket by card? Plenty of taxi drivers, pre-hailo, had credit card terminals installed. Surely DB should do the same, at least for Airlink buses. Isn't it the same comparison?

markpb wrote: »
    Try buying a lotto ticket, paying for less than €5 groceries or paying for a haircut with a debit or credit card and see how far you get. The margin on some products is less than the cost of the credit card transaction and far, far less than the cost of a debit card transaction. This is why merchants won't let you pay for them with card and why the NTA presumably have no problem with it.

Why can't I pay for my Dublin Bus cash ticket by card? Plenty of taxi drivers, pre-hailo, had credit card terminals installed. Surely DB should do the same, at least for Airlink buses. Isn't it the same comparison?

I venture that with the continuing roll-out of Contactless Card technology that we will soon see a London Style option to pay your CASH fare via the Validator using your Bank Card (NOTE-This will continue to be a FULL fare not a discounted Leapcard fare)

The Payzone/Leapcard issue is down to slipshod contract specification on the part of the NTA,whereby they refused to get specific about method of payment.....Dunnes Stores,for example,still sell Mobile Phone Credit without ANY surcharge.

The NTA,if they were awake,could short-circuit c. 50% of the Payzone agencies IF they bothered to open their long promised "Walk-In Leapcard Centres" and coupled them with On-Street Collection Validators.

https://www.leapcard.ie/en/PageSetting/ContentViewer.aspx?Val=CG%2fCj953WkPB%2b7fwjkLFshsyP7wecX6fiV0VBn3Q632F20yhboVXGTVmv%2b2bImvcFvyDWv8wk%2bd4E5kAGPCvjpJvBUgOhvVEg%2fB6ZgVyLiI6nLqx13jMpsQIKgDUASmGM793kdSI9FJOtf2oYKBBrP3uRbgVAG0ZGo31awr2Vmg%3d
    Leap 2. Conditions of Issue and Use

2.1 Leap Cards can be obtained from:

(a) the website www.leapcard.ie;

(b) at suitably equipped Irish Rail ticket machines; or

(c) at authorised retail outlets that can be identified by the Leap Card logo on display or at any Card walk-in centre (when introduced).

The Authority will not accept responsibility for Leap Cards obtained from unauthorised outlets. The Authority shall maintain a list of authorised outlets and any Leap Card walk-in centres via www.leapcard.ie. If a Leap Card customer has any doubts about whether a seller is an authorised outlet or a Leap Card walk-in centre, they should consult the list on the website.

Fopr crying out loud....this has been draggin on longer then the death of Little Nell....Open a few of these "Walk-In Centres" OR delete these references ?

If Payzone don't want the gig,then let them butt-the-hell out of it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Problem is the commission is so small on leapcards that accepting debit or credit would actually cost the retailer much more than they would make.
    It is actually a problem across all of payzone products not just confined to leapcards, the banks keep pushing up the charges, and payzone keep pushing down the commission.
    You can't reasonably expect retailers to keep bearing the loss while banks and payzone and the NTA all make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 siobhan nurse

no issue buying a student rambler with my visadebit card today!!

No issue buying a student rambler with my visadebit card today!!

The essential point being if This Payzone Agent accepts Visadebit then they ALL accept it as part of a common contract....If Not,why not ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The essential point being if This Payzone Agent accepts Visadebit then they ALL accept it as part of a common contract....If Not,why not ?

Each shop is independent. Any that apply a surcharge or decline a method of payment, do so themselves. It's not a "payzone" thing.

Each shop is independent. Any that apply a surcharge or decline a method of payment, do so themselves. It's not a "payzone" thing.

The independence of each shop is'nt the issue here however,in this specific instance they are operating a Payzone outlet (Franchise ?),using Payzone hardware,software and branding.

My issue is that the NTA Contract with Payzone deeded to be drafted somewhat tighter to avoid this ongoing issue.

The independence of each shop is'nt the issue here however,in this specific instance they are operating a Payzone outlet (Franchise ?),using Payzone hardware,software and branding.

My issue is that the NTA Contract with Payzone deeded to be drafted somewhat tighter to avoid this ongoing issue.

I used to work in a "payzone outlet" and they wouldnt take credit cards at all due to the fees involved. Its very much up to the "outlet"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

I used to work in a "payzone outlet" and they wouldnt take credit cards at all due to the fees involved. Its very much up to the "outlet"

Not to mention that each shop will pay different MSC for their credit card transactions. Independent retailers will pay a lot, chains will pay less and Dunnes/Tesco will pay almost nothing because of their volume.

Advertisement