Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starch and other forgotten stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Good luck, don't wreck the place lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

BrensBenz wrote: »
    • Renovate stonework on historic buildings;

:eek: I think National Heritage/An Taisce - whoever they are these days might have something to say about that.

I wonder if Newgrange needs a good scrub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

OldGoat wrote: »
    Wine Apples! I just remembered. We called them wineapples.

Wine apples, that's it. I bought one in Aldi today and it was gorgeous. They are just a novelty fruit as far as I can see. The producers must be paying all the chefs to toss them over everything!
    looksee wrote: »
    Lol, I have my daughter-in-law's steam cleaner sitting in the kitchen for me to try, to see if I really want one! And I have to report to my neighbour on the results, as she is thinking about it too!

I tripped over mine today. Purchased a year ago, and still in its box, never opened and still being ignored. Why do I fall for all this junk?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well I just gave the steam cleaner a go, did a lovely job on the kitchen window, which was manky. I had a go at the glass splashback on the cooker, which I have tried to clean, unsuccessfully, with everything from Jif to oven cleaner to bleach, and while it was slow, it definitely moved the grease. It needs a bit more work, but I got on better than anything i have tried before.

I am not completely sold, I had a go at the cooker top, which is cleaned frequently, and only takes a few minutes with jif and a brush, and didn't make much progress at all, it seemed pointless. And I did get to a stage with the splashback where I was just moving grease around and it took longer to clean the brush than to clean the splashback. In fairness, it was really bad and it was amazing that it came clean at all.

I will give the bathroom tiles a go next. The machine worked efficiently, produced good steam pressure, slight bit of water drip but nothing significant - that was on the window when it was pointing upwards. I will report back when tests are complete :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Looks like you'd be able to eat off the window panes :D Have one of them steamers thingys used about twice on the tiles. Up in the attic now with all the other thingymajigs collecting dust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I tripped over mine today. Purchased a year ago, and still in its box, never opened and still being ignored. Why do I fall for all this junk?
    I am not completely sold, I had a go at the cooker top, which is cleaned frequently, and only takes a few minutes with jif and a brush, and didn't make much progress at all, it seemed pointless. And I did get to a stage with the splashback where I was just moving grease around and it took longer to clean the brush than to clean the splashback. In fairness, it was really bad and it was amazing that it came clean at all.
    maringo wrote: »
    Have one of them steamers thingys used about twice on the tiles. Up in the attic now with all the other thingymajigs collecting dust.

But, but…..the man with the funny accent and several orange women said that your steam cleaner would solve all of your domestic woes! Yiz must be doing it wrong because there is a special filter on all shopping channels that removes exaggerated and misleading claims. Everything they say is the truth, the whole truth, etc.

Are yiz sure yiz aren’t trying to clean your surfaces with your no-nos? I know they're great for mowing your carpets but it might take longer than the 60-day money back guarantee period to clean your house with a no-no!

Just wise up, but some car batteries, drill holes in the bottoms and use that special watery stuff to clean your surfaces. It will give you spotless surfaces, with new and different colours and aromas – job done!

You might want to wear your Marigolds and those Polaroid sunglasses from the 70’s, though. I forgot mine and that may explain why this post took 7 hours to type. Also, my labrador is now doing a great impression of a dachshund.

BrensBenz wrote: »
    But, but…..the man with the funny accent and several orange women said that your steam cleaner would solve all of your domestic woes! Yiz must be doing it wrong because there is a special filter on all shopping channels that removes exaggerated and misleading claims. Everything they say is the truth, the whole truth, etc.

Are yiz sure yiz aren’t trying to clean your surfaces with your no-nos? I know they're great for mowing your carpets but it might take longer than the 60-day money back guarantee period to clean your house with a no-no!

Just wise up, but some car batteries, drill holes in the bottoms and use that special watery stuff to clean your surfaces. It will give you spotless surfaces, with new and different colours and aromas – job done!

You might want to wear your Marigolds and those Polaroid sunglasses from the 70’s, though. I forgot mine and that may explain why this post took 7 hours to type. Also, my labrador is now doing a great impression of a dachshund.

One of the funniest posts I have read in a long time :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Hows about the Summer Drink? Came in a sachet and it made a cupful or orange flavoured drink. Ciderette gone also. The Titbits and Weekend magazines. All gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jandm

maringo wrote: »
    Hot bread poultice if we had any cuts that looked like they were going septic was very effective if I remember/quote]
    One of the dogs had a swelling at the base of one of his toenails - hot bread poultice sorted the infection and saved a trip to the v-e-t.

What about TCP liquid and its nasel-battering smell? Just a dab behind your ear and you could persuade teacher that you really needed yesterday off school. Mind you, you needed big, flappy ears and to walk into the wind or sit in a draught to prevent self-asphyxiation. On detecting the smell of TCP, people would stop you in the street and ask if you were OK. If you limped away, you would hear "such a brave little soldier".

Today, you can easily find namby-pamby, wussy wuss TCP cream but, perhaps thanks to the PC police, the availability of the real stuff seems limited.

I'm sure that the vast majority of sensible people would agree that the mandatory application, or even the threat of application of TCP liquid onto the vast majority of affected parts, preferably by merciless grannies, would eradicate the vast majority of today's trendy, made-up allergies.

Other benefits are many and self evident:
    • The vast majority of shelves, currently full of remedies for made-up allergies, could once again carry flagons, nay magnums of TCP liquid.
    • Pharmaceutical companies could then cease manufacture of those "remedies" and start investigations into the manufacture of smellier versions of TCP liquid, thereby employing millions of chemistry grads.
    • NASA could cease seeking alien life-forms where no man has gone before because they could find us by following the TCP smell emanating from Earth.
    • Steam cleaners would no longer be necessary, thereby saving vast amounts of attic and shed space.

Regards,
    BrensBenz
    CEO etc. of TCP

• Advertisement

Hilarious Brens! I also see you are now the self-appointed CEO of Tom Cat's P---!!!!!!!! The remedy to cure all ills!! :D:D

I always felt ill AFTER gargling with TCP

Not a product, but a person. Whatever happened to Girl Fridays? Probably not PC to have a Girl anything these days, so why aren't there just Fridays working in offices these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Lux flakes (particularly at Christmas to make 'snow') and soft green soap, though I can't recall what the soft green soap was used for!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Girl Fridays became secretaries and now they are replaced by 'PA's' or personal assistants.... note gender neutral :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

| got a very small box of boric acid in a chemist when needed for some cleaning project.

| got a very small box of boric acid in a chemist when needed for some cleaning project.

Annie, please! Try to keep up! 37 shopping channels can't be wrong. GET A STEAM-CLEANER!

My home town used to have a "wool shop". The nice lady would show you suitable (Paton or Sirdar) patterns and then tell you which colour wool you preferred. She could blind you with science - two ply; double ply, number sevens, etc. She also had a weakness for anything pastel, which might explain why I had such a hard time at school in my Mother of Mary blue knitted shorts.

Her shop was right across the road from the barber. He had a special plank that he put across the arms of the leather chair for his mini-sized victims I mean clients to sit on. If you were good (or extremely ungood), he would give you a stick of barley sugar. "Better than chloroform", he said, winking at me mammy!

Then, obeying no calendar or sequence known to Man, marble season would arrive. Us experienced marblers had stock from last season but the little lads had to buy their first bag of six marbles from the toyshop.
    My nasty aunt stole all of my marbles, even the white ones, to fill a bottle which she had made into a lamp. But I still have my "fifty-timer steelers" (ball bearings from CIE bus wheels). Nothing like a fifty-timer to stretch the pockets in your woolley shorts.

Ah yes, the total randomness with which marbles, whip-and-top (now now!), skipping, hopscotch, cats-cradle etc came round. I think most of them (apart from marbles) were girls' games BrensBenz so you wouldn't have been expected to acknowledge their existence :-)

God Brens, you're such a girl!!? :confused:

The bold boys wouldn't let me play marbles. :mad: They were just afraid I'd beat them.

Anyway, I do believe a lot of games 'appeared' around the same time of the year that the sun also appeared. For instance, the sun shone over my house all morning, and you just wouldn't beeleeeeev how much spring cleaning I got done today! The house is allllll shiney now and I am quite pleased with myself! :) Now I know housework cannot be compared to a good old game of hop-scotch or marbles, but 'twill do for now.

Oh JB, that is sooooo satisfying. Don't suppose you would like to come and give mine a bit of a polish would you?

• Advertisement

Oh JB, that is sooooo satisfying. Don't suppose you would like to come and give mine a bit of a polish would you?

Polish doesn't work on tents,

Hmph. OG I'm being got at! (and anyway the poles would look better with a bit of polish. Bit of an international theme going here...)

Hmph. OG I'm being got at! (and anyway the poles would look better with a bit of polish. Bit of an international theme going here...)

Them's need varnish! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Eiderdowns, Paraffin heaters and ice on the inside of the window. Jack Frost!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I miss seeing long streamers of bus roll paper blowing down the street. :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

One of the earlier posts mentioned Mercurochrome. I remember it well. It was an antiseptic used for, among other things, impetigo, which seemed to affect the mouth. The product left a purple stain around the mouth. Kids used to get chilblains in those days too. Haven't heard of it in a long time.

Carbolic soap was in most households. Someone else mentioned poultices. I remember moistened bread mixed with soap was a home remedy for poultices.

Long before Nescafe appeared most households had a bottle of Irel coffee. It was vile stuff. A spoonful mixed with a bit of sugar (sold in stiff grey paper bags - almost like cardboard) and some milk was how it was made.

Short trousers were worn by boys up to the age of 14 or 15. No such thing as jeans. And shoes were made from leather. My dad had all the gear for mending shoes. He had a last with individual cast iron "feet" which fit into a fixed mounted base unit. Both my brother's and my shoes, having had new soles fitted were finished off with a dozen or more studs which produced a great clatter, similar to a soldier's boots.

The first car we had was a Hillman Minx which needed a starting handle. For those too young to know what that was, it was a long metal circular bar with a double bend inserted under the radiator and given a sharp turn or two to turn over the engine. No such thing as an electric starter.

Broken biscuits? Biscuits were displayed in groceries in metal boxes with a glass lid. The grocer would collect any broken biscuits and sell them at a discount. They'd probably all been handled by just a few dozen people previously. Hygiene?

That grey cardboardy paper is only seen in school art departments now, but it is still called sugar paper. In my youth (ie when I was about 15) I worked in one of the first self-service shops in the area. Supplies would come to the back door of the shop including sugar in 1cwt sacks. We had to measure out the sugar in 2lb quantities into the blue rough-paper bags that ttenneb mentions (blue/grey! They started out blue but the colour faded very quickly). It was a horrible job, the sugar would get into your cuffs and shoes, and the smell of bulk sugar like that is horrible, it smells kind of dirty. One day I was bagging sugar with another assistant and we had bagged several hundredweight (that's the cwt I mentioned, keep up at the back there) and at the end of it she realised that the large opal (she said it was an opal!) that had been in the ring she was wearing had vanished. Some of the bags had already gone into the shop and we looked at the stack of bags of sugar and ...well hopefully the stone was found by someone in their tea at some stage rather than them breaking a tooth on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

The mention of self-service shops sounds almost quaint. Am I right in thinking one of the chains of shops was called Liptons? As well as sugar being sold in plain paper bags (no advertising on bags then) butter was sold from a great big slab - the grocer slicing it up to your requirements with a big pair of flat wooden spatulas. I think tea was also sold loose. Yes, I remember most grocers had a tea chest full of the stuff. In fact most food items were dispensed by the grocer. Cheese, rashers were cut to order. And many grocers ran a personal account, purchases being recorded in a ledger using a "copy-and-ink" or was it "copying ink" pencil. My local grocer had a permanent purple stain on his lower lip from when he'd lick the pencil to produce the required moisture.

I think Liptons was counter-service, I could be wrong on that, probably it went self-service at some stage, but I do not remember that happening. That was in the UK, was it in Ireland too? The shop I worked in (on Saturdays) was not all that big but it was set out like a current Spar or similar. Pretty well everything was already weighed and packed - I recall bacon and cooked meats were cut on the premises, but I think it was sold ready weighed into quarter pounds etc.

One thing that could be purchased was wine from a barrel - bring your own bottle! I was serving someone some wine one day when the Sunday School Superintendent from the Methodist church I attended at the time came in. He made his opinion of me serving wine known to me (he was not impressed!). I don't recall being particularly concerned :-) Whether I should have legally been serving wine at 15 I have no idea - I recall being set on to clean the bacon slicer too!

• Advertisement

My mum used to send me on errands to the corner shop - it was called 'going for the messages'. I used to buy loose tea, and sugar, but don't remember ever buying butter, it was usually margarine we got and it used to embarrass her that we could not afford the real butter. This is the stuff of 'Open All Hours'!!

Advertisement