Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Navy ... any info

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

sorry guys just a quick question on what recruit training is like?

ill appreciate solid answers from people who have earned the beret not arm chair warriors,
    i understand it is hard but just an indication of how recruit training varies throughout the branches or is it standardised across the board?

Navy recruit training is broken up into modules, the order of how you do the modules can vary between different recruit classes.

We did most of the modules during the second two months. During my recruit training we spent the first month learning footdrill/armsdrill and learning about the Steyr.

During the second and third months we did DCFF (Damage Control/Fire Fighting) and Sea Survival. As well as getting introduced to the GPMG. We also had swim week where they brought us to the Curragh and thought us how to properly swim in deep water. If you don't know how to swim you'll start in the baby pool (no really, you'll start in the baby pool!). After that we had Tactics week where they took us to Kilworth and we did a small bit of Army related stuff (fieldcraft, orienteering, section tactics etc). During that week we also did our range practice on the Steyr and GPMG.

Finally we had sea week, the class was split up and sent to different ships for a week at sea. Bring anti-seasick tablets (even if you think you won't get sea sick) or you'll destroy the place.

The final month we got qualified on the USP and did a massive amount of footdrill to practice for our passing out parade. We also did a small two day introduction to the Searider RIBS, but the full course is done during Seamans training if you get into that branch.

You'll be starting every morning at about 06:30 to 07:00 (usually on the square for 08:30).

PT is done almost every day, running is usually every second day with circuits or battle PT done on the days in between. We started off doing 3 mile runs on day two, by the end of recruits 5-7miles runs were the norm.

Sometimes did runs out to Curraghbinny woods (about 5miles from the base, just north of Crosshaven). When we got there we did circuits and ran the whole 5miles back.

Don't expect to be going home for the weekend. You don't get much leave in recruits in order to get you used to being away from home. During my recruit training we got one weekend off in the middle and that was it. Other then that you'll only get a few hours leave to head over to Cobh to get haircuts or go to the shop, bank, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Wookster76

Yea this is pretty much how my recruit training went as well.. out of a class of 39 only 16 of us past out in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Yeah thats pretty much how it went. It's a piece of piss, I made it harder for myself my doing 30km runs to Crosshaven and back on the weekends we were kept in, and running a marathon a few days after we passed out.

Was a bit unorganised for us as we were the first class trained in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Paul mac

How much Extra pay do you get when at sea..l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Paul mac wrote: »
    How much Extra pay do you get when at sea..l
    €53.33 per day as an enlisted person
    €55.91 for officers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Paul mac

€53.33 per day as an enlisted person
    €55.91 for officers.

Thanks just passed my medical yesterday pending bloods,how often would you be goin to sea and for how long at a time ,,and are you really not aloud go home at weekends while doing your training..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Paul mac wrote: »
    Thanks just passed my medical yesterday pending bloods,how often would you be goin to sea and for how long at a time ,,and are you really not aloud go home at weekends while doing your training..

You'll be at sea for more than 200 days of the year. You do 3 or 4 week patrols with 1 week in the base between patrols. You'll be part of the ships crew for about 2-3 years before you are rotated to the base, then you'll work on the base for about 2 years before being assigned to your next ship.

Usually you'll only get 1 or 2 weekends off during recruits to get you used to being away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hopefullygame

Hey, iv recently done my fitness and have my medical next week. My hearing fitness blood pressure bloods and urine will be all good. But I'm a bit worried about my eye sight. I wear glasses when I'm reading and writing but don't need them for anything else. I recently done an eye test and was informed I don't need my glasses for driving either. Can anyone give me an idea on how strict they are in regard to eye sight? Would appreciate a reply, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nikkiwillis93

My boyfriend is leaving in 2 weeks for basic training , how much can i expect to see him while hes away and when he gets assigned to a ship how often will i get to see/speak to him?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

[MOD]Note: Trolling is not allowed and will lead to an immediate response from mods[/MOD]

Hi NikkiWillis93 and welcome to the forum.

Im sure some of the Navy types here will be able to answer but initially you can expect to see him not too often unless you are based close to cork? I dont believe that recruits are offered much opportunity to travel home for the duration of their initial training as its vital they learn as much as possible as quickly as possible whilst also gaining fitness and confidence with the weapons and equipment that they will be expected to use and in the job they will be expected to do. I think they get a couple of days leave throughout the period.

Is he going to do a cadetship or is he joining as an enlisted recruit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Nikkiwillis93

I think its an enlisted recruit .. If i lived close by the base would i get to see him more often?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I think its an enlisted recruit .. If i lived close by the base would i get to see him more often?

If you lived close by you would still just see him when he gets local leave at weekends, that's if it is granted. It could be 3-6 weeks at a time you get granted a leave pass to travel home during training. Local leave means you are restricted to the nearest town of locality.

It's a hard couple of months for a couple but best to stick it out, keep busy and look back on it and realise it wasn't a huge deal being apart, it's for a good job at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭vwhead

thats an absoblute amasing thread i was with some of ye back in 2012 i got to the interview but unfortunatly no further. i was 17 and just about to go into LC im gutted readin that thread that i didnt get further but delighted for the lads that did. i wonder if any of you still take a look at this if so feel free to pm me as id love to have a chat with ye about it as im planning on going again next month when it opens up

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Marshall987

hey
    looking for some more info from people serving in the navy?

I was waiting for the gardai campaign for years and really should have applied for the army I'm 25 in two weeks so I take it infantry is out?

what should I expect from a career in the Navy, what would I do be doing the majority of the time, how many days a year would I be at sea. I only talked to one person who is in the reserves, and he said all they do in the navy is clean?

also if I did get in, could I apply for the ARW after a certain amount of time?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭a/tel

hey
    looking for some more info from people serving in the navy?

I was waiting for the gardai campaign for years and really should have applied for the army I'm 25 in two weeks so I take it infantry is out?

what should I expect from a career in the Navy, what would I do be doing the majority of the time, how many days a year would I be at sea. I only talked to one person who is in the reserves, and he said all they do in the navy is clean?

Thanks

My advice is dont take advice on the Navy from a reservist who only does a few weeks a years. Ask a full time member for a full picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I'm confused.

You want to join the naval service, but a few years down the line, you want to become a member of the ARW.

On what premise do you base your possible suitabilty for the ARW, bearing in mind that you will have only done the basic three-arm of service recruit and soldier training?

Is such a career even possible?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

tac foley wrote: »
    I'm confused.

You want to join the naval service, but a few years down the line, you want to become a member of the ARW.

On what premise do you base your possible suitabilty for the ARW, bearing in mind that you will have only done the basic three-arm of service recruit and soldier training?

tac

Yes its possible.

mikeym - would you please elaborate on your statement?

Thanks.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

I'm confused.

tac

very much so. If he dose all the tests and pass them all. No easy feat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Thanks

Yes, once you pass out as a 3 star Private or equivalent you can apply for the next ARW Selection course.

However, you would want to be very aware of Infantry tactics and very proficient in using them. If you actually get in and pass out, I would suggest you try to transfer into the Army and do a stint in an operational Infantry Unit first.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

I'm still not convinced that a sailor with no experience of soldiering, since he is already too old to join the infantry, can nevertheless be fit enough or skilled enough in soldier-like activities/military skills of the kind required for selection for the Irish Army's version of Special Forces.

How would he ever get fit enough, for a start? He would either be at sea, with no spare time to do the necessary 'route-march with load' training, or ashore, getting ready to go to sea.

How would his naval superiors view his application for the ARW?

More to the point, how might the ARW view his application?

Not trying to pick a fight with anybody, just noting that such a career is beyond my comprehension in the British Army, for instance, where the vast majority of SF personnel come from the infantry and Parachute Regiment. The Royal Marines already HAVE their SF in the form of the SBS.

I've never heard of a sailor getting selected for SF duties, so perhaps you can tell me if anybody has ever been known to have done this before?

tac

Yes, once you pass out as a 3 star Private or equivalent you can apply for the next ARW Selection course.

However, you would want to be very aware of Infantry tactics and very proficient in using them. If you actually get in and pass out, I would suggest you try to transfer into the Army and do a stint in an operational Infantry Unit first.

Good luck.

How would he pass out as a three-star private if he is in the Naval Service?

Given the naval service equivalent, how is he going to be 'very aware of infantry tactics and proficient in using them'?

With whom will he have operated as part of an combat team?

tac

I'm still not convinced that a sailor with no experience of soldiering, since he is already too old to join the infantry, can nevertheless be fit enough or skilled enough in soldier-like activities/military skills of the kind required for selection

He wouldn't. He would need to transfer to an Army unit first. As a sailor, he would be out of his depth....no pun intended.
    for the Irish Army's version of Special Forces.

You could have just said "special forces", the "Irish Army's version" part looks like yet another subtle, cleverly disguised put down.
    How would he ever get fit enough, for a start?
    That's debateable.
    He would either be at sea, with no spare time to do the necessary 'route-march with load' training, or ashore, getting ready to go to sea.
    Agreed
    Depends in the CO, the NS and ARW do work closely at times, some may be for it...some not so much.

An applicant is an applicant....

Not trying to pick a fight with anybody, just noting that such a career is beyond my comprehension in the British Army, for instance, where the vast majority of SF personnel come from the infantry and Parachute Regiment. The Royal Marines already HAVE their SF in the form of the SBS.
    I've never heard of a sailor getting selected for SF duties, so perhaps you can tell me if anybody has ever been known to have done this before?
    tac

I'm sure ex AC/NS pers who have Infantry experience have attempted and possibly passed. Can't say for sure but wouldn't rule it out.

How would he pass out as a three-star private if he is in the Naval Service?

Given the naval service equivalent, how is he going to be 'very aware of infantry tactics and proficient in using them'?

With whom will he have operated as part of an combat team?

tac

Did you even read what you quoted? The answers are all there.

Jesus Tac

No put-down intended or meant - I'm not looking for a fight, but you seem to be putting me in the ring for one. All military forces worth their salt have their own versions of Special Forces, and the Irish model is just one of them AFAIAC. Just as the British SF have principal areas of expertise based on the UK's military requirements and task response, I assume that the Irish Army's RW has similar but different operational tasking based on your areas of interest. For example the government of Ireland does not have, as far as I know, much time, energy and military training invested in the Arctic, as the British Armed Forces, both regular forces and SF, do.

In any event, good luck to him, whoever he might be.

tac

I'm still not convinced that a sailor with no experience of soldiering, since he is already too old to join the infantry, can nevertheless be fit enough or skilled enough in soldier-like activities/military skills of the kind required for selection for the Irish Army's version of Special Forces.

How would he ever get fit enough, for a start? He would either be at sea, with no spare time to do the necessary 'route-march with load' training, or ashore, getting ready to go to sea.

tac

There are several ex-NS members serving presently in the ARW.

Thank, that's all I really wanted to know, that there was a precedent.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Hey, iv recently done my fitness and have my medical next week. My hearing fitness blood pressure bloods and urine will be all good. But I'm a bit worried about my eye sight. I wear glasses when I'm reading and writing but don't need them for anything else. I recently done an eye test and was informed I don't need my glasses for driving either. Can anyone give me an idea on how strict they are in regard to eye sight? Would appreciate a reply, cheers.

You will be fine.

Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    Yeah thats pretty much how it went. It's a piece of piss, I made it harder for myself my doing 30km runs to Crosshaven and back on the weekends we were kept in, and running a marathon a few days after we passed out.

Was a bit unorganised for us as we were the first class trained in years.

You were AWOL so if you left the Naval Base..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 sailor.ian

really good question.
    i have another similar to this.
    i am making my application now for the next round of recruits. i am a married man with an almost three year old and my wife is with child at the moment (due in September). a distant cousin of my mum's is in the navy for many years and i know he did live on base or at least in navy owned accommodation at some point. so here is my question: does this accommodation still exist and if so at what point can my family join me?
    also when does the first 19 weeks training begin? if it anything around mi September it would really suck.

P.S. i have done a lot of reading of the navy's literature but nothing even comes close to answering this.

Advertisement