Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still use XP? (multiple choice)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I switched over to Debian and never looked back.
    I once tried on my GF's laptop (Win 7) to open Word, scan a picture into it and export it as a PDF.
    From what I can tell it would cots a fortune to implement the basic functionality and then it would be a screaming nightmare to actually do it.
    In Open Office on Debian (granted, also available for Windows), open Writer, import picture from scanner and hit the export to PDF button.
    All free, all inclusive and done in 1 minute.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I switched over to Debian and never looked back.
    I once tried on my GF's laptop (Win 7) to open Word, scan a picture into it and export it as a PDF.
    From what I can tell it would cots a fortune to implement the basic functionality and then it would be a screaming nightmare to actually do it.
    In Open Office on Debian (granted, also available for Windows), open Writer, import picture from scanner and hit the export to PDF button.
    All free, all inclusive and done in 1 minute.

Word 2007 onwards supports saving to pdf. Just choose pdf instead of docx when saving. PDF Creator is another free option which installs a printer driver you can print pages to pdf, handy if you have programs which support printer output but no pdf support :)

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Word 2007 onwards supports saving to pdf. Just choose pdf instead of docx when saving. PDF Creator is another free option which installs a printer driver you can print pages to pdf, handy if you have programs which support printer output but no pdf support :)

Nick

So far, so good, just try scanning a picture directly into Word. ;)

You may think it is not a big deal scanning a pic into another program first, but I had to scan a 40 page document into a PDF (in fact I seem to be doing a lot of that these days) and it was ridiculously easy in Debian and open office.
    Whatever application I would use in Windows, it wouldn't be Office.
    Actually, it should be much easier in Open Office.

So far, so good, just try scanning a picture directly into Word. ;)

You may think it is not a big deal scanning a pic into another program first, but I had to scan a 40 page document into a PDF (in fact I seem to be doing a lot of that these days) and it was ridiculously easy in Debian and open office.
    Whatever application I would use in Windows, it wouldn't be Office.
    Actually, it should be much easier in Open Office.

Office supports TWAIN import to import images from a scanner. Granted I never used either to do multi-page document scanning but I have scanned images into Word using TWAIN import successfully :) .

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm almost ashamed to say I deployed a Windows XP machine to a client yesterday. . .I told him them the lay of the land but they insisted on the cheaper option (it wasn't really an option, I didn't suggest it, they just kind of insisted), tight baxtards aren't short of money either

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Office supports TWAIN import to import images from a scanner. Granted I never used either to do multi-page document scanning but I have scanned images into Word using TWAIN import successfully :) .

Nick

Ah, reminds me of my time with Canon.
    The current machines will take a stack of paper in the document feeder, scan them and email or export them in various formates, including PDF, all in one go.
    Before that, it was push-scanning via TWAIN into either Office or whatever program was installed.
    The one thing I learned was that TWAIN stands for Thing Without An Interesting Name.:D

theteal wrote: »
    I'm almost ashamed to say I deployed a Windows XP machine to a client yesterday. . .I told him them the lay of the land but they insisted on the cheaper option (it wasn't really an option, I didn't suggest it, they just kind of insisted), tight baxtards aren't short of money either

It will of course have been worth it if the machine get compromised later on :pac: . Seriously I cannot understand why people would knowingly go for XP these days. If a business has a few million to throw at special support then fine (although I am quite annoyed 3.3m of tax payers money is going towards XP maintenance due to incompetence) however to knowingly install it just to cheap out is asking for trouble.
    It will be interesting times in a few months time for XP to say the least, particularly with the nasty things like Cryptolocker out there and there is also bound to be security issues discovered after it goes EOL

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF xp pc is connected to the internet its crazy,
    as it,ll lose support soon,
    Their customer info,
    financial info ,will be vunerable to hackers ,malware,
    or the pc being used as part of a botnet.
    Wheres the savings ,?
    could they not buy a copy of windows 7 for 80 euro.

ITS alot easier to keep a pc going with windows 7 ,
    as its still being supported updated.
    DO companys not get tax allowances for software they
    buy as a business expense?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

riclad wrote: »

Yep, businesses can claim it as a business expense. But it's not as if it's free. They still pay for it, less their tax bill. I'm open to corrections on this though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What about all the ATM's that are still running on windows NT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

What about all the ATM's that are still running on windows NT
    As far as I'm aware they are supported until 2019.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

riclad wrote: »
    IF xp pc is connected to the internet its crazy,
    as it,ll lose support soon,
    Their customer info,
    financial info ,will be vunerable to hackers ,malware,
    or the pc being used as part of a botnet.
    Wheres the savings ,?
    could they not buy a copy of windows 7 for 80 euro.

ITS alot easier to keep a pc going with windows 7 ,
    as its still being supported updated.

Where can u buy a copy of windows 7?

My puter won't handle w8 but 7 would be fine if I could locate a copy w license etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You can still buy it off Dabs, far as I can see:

http://www.dabs.ie/search?q=windows%207

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    You can still buy it off Dabs, far as I can see:

http://www.dabs.ie/search?q=windows%207

Thanks! I was on to MS and the call agent said it couldn't be had!

Much appreciate the link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

my friend wrote: »
    Thanks! I was on to MS and the call agent said it couldn't be had!

Much appreciate the link

Glad to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

There wasnt an option for "NO I run a different OS" so I picked the last option..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Dude111 wrote: »
    There wasnt an option for "NO I run a different OS" so I picked the last option..

Why would there be, the thread is about Xp and the deadline isn't relevant to any other OS

Why would there be, the thread is about Xp and the deadline isn't relevant to any other OS

True to an extend, but it has to be said that not everyone stayed with MS and upgrading to 7 or 8 is not an automatic given. Some might have switched to some of the Linux flavours (Ubuntu is actually an ancient African word that roughly translates as "I can't configure Debian"), or if they still fancied Linux, but decided they wanted half the computer for twice the money, any of these oh so shiny Apple products.
    I do know that the majority did indeed stay with Bill, I am using Windows 7 at work and Debian at home and they both have their place.
    Even Apple products have their uses, I know of an office where an old Power Mac is used to prop a door open. :D

Dude111 wrote: »

I have updated the poll to include this, as it is a valid upgrade path for some users

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I still have an XP machine but its unable to take a Windows upgrade, It still works fine and I might throw Ubunto onto after the deadline.

• Advertisement

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I still have an XP machine but its unable to take a Windows upgrade, It still works fine and I might throw Ubunto onto after the deadline.

You can do that now and make it dual boot, your Windows installation will remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭industrialhorse

Its a great operating system to use in a personal virtual machine. Its longevity will never be surpassed and a lot of major corporations will struggle to migrate over to Windows 7

I have XP running on my desktop computer and will continue to do so after April 8th when Microsoft stop supporting the OS.

Google have already stated that the Chrome web browser will continue to support XP until April 2015 and AVG (my antivirus software) have not set any date to discontinue support for XP.

I know these factors will not make my computer immune after the April deadline but it is still nice to know not all major software companies are discontinuing support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

oops Im sorry,i thought it was a general DO YOU RUN XP. (Which I dont,I run 98se (My favourite OS))

Thanx for editing the poll Yoyo,im sorry I misunderstood what this thread was about!!

Im sorry guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Currently running XP Pro on a Dell Latitude D830. Specification as follows: Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz, 800 MHz, 4 MB) with nVidia Quadro NVS 140 M. Memory 1024 MB (1x1024MB) 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM. Hard Drive 320 WD Serial ATA. Laptop is primarily used for MS user-end applications - MS Office Professional 2003, principally Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Internet browsing and Adobe Photoshop.

Not sure whether I should upgrade OS to Windows 7 (32 bit or 64 bit) OR whether I should replace my laptop altogether? Windows 7 Pro is available on Dabs.ie at approx. €125 but I would need some assurance / level of comfort that there would not be any knock-on problems caused by this upgrade etc. Any help / recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Maidhci wrote: »
    Currently running XP Pro on a Dell Latitude D830. Specification as follows: Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz, 800 MHz, 4 MB) with nVidia Quadro NVS 140 M. Memory 1024 MB (1x1024MB) 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM. Hard Drive 320 WD Serial ATA. Laptop is primarily used for MS user-end applications - MS Office Professional 2003, principally Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Internet browsing and Adobe Photoshop.

Not sure whether I should upgrade OS to Windows 7 (32 bit or 64 bit) OR whether I should replace my laptop altogether? Windows 7 Pro is available on Dabs.ie at approx. €125 but I would need some assurance / level of comfort that there would not be any knock-on problems caused by this upgrade etc. Any help / recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Herself is running Windows 7 on a Toshiba Satellite (something ancient and 32 bit), Centrino, 1.6 Ghz, fcek all memory, basically a much lower specced machine.
    it's slow as a wet week, but yours should have better performance.
    It definitely runs better than that POS Vista.
    You should consider how much it would cost you for a new laptop and is it worth it purely for a change of OS?
    Nobody can assure you about knock on problems, there's never any guarantee, some ancient stuff that still runs on XP might not run on 7, but I don't foresee massive problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

You can do that now and make it dual boot, your Windows installation will remain.

Ah yeah, I did have it working on a dual boot at one stage but I cant actually remember why I got rid of ubuntu:) There is still traces of ubuntu on start up, It gives me an option to choose which OS to boot into even though Uubuntu is well gone. I'll probably have to get rid of that option in the BIOS.
    Herself is running Windows 7 on a Toshiba Satellite (something ancient and 32 bit), Centrino, 1.6 Ghz, fcek all memory, basically a much lower specced machine.
    it's slow as a wet week, but yours should have better performance.
    It definitely runs better than that POS Vista.
    You should consider how much it would cost you for a new laptop and is it worth it purely for a change of OS?
    Nobody can assure you about knock on problems, there's never any guarantee, some ancient stuff that still runs on XP might not run on 7, but I don't foresee massive problems.

There is a download on the microsoft website and it performs a diagnostics to see if your machine will take the upgrade.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Still use it on a laptop connected to my TV - 1gb RAM and it runs fine - I use it for Netflix, SkyGo, other streaming services and BBC iPlayer downloads. And Spotify.

The 4OD never worked on that laptop at all, which is a shame.

Sometimes the video lags a bit, but it's fine in the main. I won't be buying another Windows OS, and I dual boot this with Mint already, it's just easier for me to keep using XP for the above applications that don't run natively in Linux.

By the time the machine dies I'll simply move my current laptop to be the "under the tv laptop" and buy a new "lap" laptop. It's an old Acer Aspire that's been through the mill. Beer, Coke and water have been spilled into it at various times, the invertor went so I just pulled the screen off and stuck it under the tv, connected with a VGA and attached a set of speakers, ethernet to the router, wireless mouse and keyboard and I've a pretty good set up.

Still use it on a laptop connected to my TV - 1gb RAM and it runs fine - I use it for Netflix, SkyGo, other streaming services and BBC iPlayer downloads. And Spotify.

The 4OD never worked on that laptop at all, which is a shame.

Sometimes the video lags a bit, but it's fine in the main. I won't be buying another Windows OS, and I dual boot this with Mint already, it's just easier for me to keep using XP for the above applications that don't run natively in Linux.

By the time the machine dies I'll simply move my current laptop to be the "under the tv laptop" and buy a new "lap" laptop. It's an old Acer Aspire that's been through the mill. Beer, Coke and water have been spilled into it at various times, the invertor went so I just pulled the screen off and stuck it under the tv, connected with a VGA and attached a set of speakers, ethernet to the router, wireless mouse and keyboard and I've a pretty good set up.

You will find that older hardware will struggle with 720p, nevermind 1080.
    I had a few old bits hooked up to my telly and anything 720p with a higher bitrate played as a series of still images.
    Playing from the NAS at home is fairly OK, but anything high def online streaming will really murder it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Windows XP is still available, in the unfortunately named POS ready 2009

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1101401-windows-xp-like-windows-embedded-pos-2009-supported-until-2019/

Advertisement