Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first language to learn

Options
  • 31-01-2014 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Hi i was let go from my job,and cant find any.sitting home and doing nothing everyday is killing me.
    Would to learn some usefull skill ,like how to make android app or website.
    Where i start?what language to learn first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

To make an Android app, the best language to learn is Java.

To make a website, the best language to learn is PHP.

You can start with a book, or use online tutorials such as those found on NewBoston.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

To make an Android app, the best language to learn is Java.

To make a website, the best language to learn is PHP.

You can start with a book, or use online tutorials such as those found on NewBoston.

If you just stick to java you can do websites with Grails

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

You can do websites with Java servlets / JSP / JSTL too although PHP is easier to learn. Bear in mind that you'll also need to learn client side languages for website development, at least HTML and CSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

If you just stick to java you can do websites with Grails

Or you could forget both PHP and Java and learn C#.

C# is no longer just Microsoft specific, you now have Mono which allows you to code with C# on most platforms.
    Then you can make websites, cross platform desktop apps, iphone and android apps. You also have MonoGame if you wish to get into game programming.

C# Fundamentals
    http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/c-fundamentals-development-for-absolute-beginners#?fbid=5YJyK4Uynfy

Cross platform Mobile + Desktop
    http://xamarin.com/

Websites
    http://www.asp.net/mvc

Javascript would also be very worthwhile learning !

You can do websites with Java servlets / JSP / JSTL too although PHP is easier to learn. Bear in mind that you'll also need to learn client side languages for website development, at least HTML and CSS.

HTML is a markup language and CSS a stylesheet language meant to express presentation. Its not programming. Like i said you should learn javascript, its a client side and server side language. You should also learn the basic of CSS and HTML so you can put together functioning website. But if you not into design then leave the advanced CSS and HTML stuff to designers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Overflow wrote: »
    HTML is a markup language and CSS a stylesheet language meant to express presentation. Its not programming. Like i said you should learn javascript, its a client side and server side language. You should also learn the basic of CSS and HTML so you can put together functioning website. But if you not into design then leave the advanced CSS and HTML stuff to designers.

The OP said he possibly wants to make a website. To do so, he'll need HTML and CSS. I never said they were programming.

The OP said he possibly wants to make a website. To do so, he'll need HTML and CSS. I never said they were programming.

My mistake, apologies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe start in the other end - first decide on what you want to do, for instance a small Android app, and then start learning the tools to accomplish it.
    I find problem based learning more effective than big book learning.

My suggestion would be, learn how to set up a web server and a database on your computer.
    Then learn basic html and sql, and make the server show results from the database.
    Congrats, you've just learned the basic structure for every website in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

It really doesn't matter. Just get started, that's the main thing. Pick a language that allows you to create something that appeals to you. Websites? Javascript. Android apps? Java. iPhone apps? Objective C. Desktop games? C# etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

It really doesn't matter. Just get started, that's the main thing. Pick a language that allows you to create something that appeals to you. Websites? Javascript. Android apps? Java. iPhone apps? Objective C. Desktop games? C# etc.

Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'd recommend Java as a first language to learn.

This is because, other than the range of tutorials available in Java out there, it's a pretty strict language, which means you're less likely to end up with bad habits, which is what will inevitably happen with something like PHP.

It also gets you into object oriented programming from the start, and it's a lot easier to go from that to more procedural languages than the reverse, in the long term.

It's also very simelar to C#, but while you could also start with that first, I'd still go for Java because it allows you, with greater ease, to compile using the command line from the beginning, rather than hiding everything behind a slick IDE, which I feel is good to be familiar with.

This is because, other than the range of tutorials available in Java out there, it's a pretty strict language, which means you're less likely to end up with bad habits, which is what will inevitably happen with something like PHP.

It also gets you into object oriented programming from the start, and it's a lot easier to go from that to more procedural languages than the reverse, in the long term.

It's also very simelar to C#, but while you could also start with that first, I'd still go for Java because it allows you, with greater ease, to compile using the command line from the beginning, rather than hiding everything behind a slick IDE, which I feel is good to be familiar with.

There is a huge ramp up to get the basics going, this is where things like PHP shine. Its a difficult experience for a new student trying to understand every word in a Java hello world programme.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    There is a huge ramp up to get the basics going, this is where things like PHP shine. Its a difficult experience for a new student trying to understand every word in a Java hello world programme.
    True, but that extra effort with a language like Java will be a fraction of the effort needed to get rid of all those bad habits you'll pick up if you start with a language like PHP.

True, but that extra effort with a language like Java will be a fraction of the effort needed to get rid of all those bad habits you'll pick up if you start with a language like PHP.

I'd be more of the view of getting them moved from PHP to a strongly typed language quickly, have a fast but gradual increase in complexity.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    I'd be more of the view of getting them moved from PHP to a strongly typed language quickly, have a fast but gradual increase in complexity.
    Swings and roundabouts; whatever advantage there would be to using a language like PHP at the start, could be quickly wiped out by the cost of transitioning to a strongly typed language, rather than just having stuck with one from the beginning.

Meh. Whatever works.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This is because, other than the range of tutorials available in Java out there, it's a pretty strict language

Just on the academic point, if you'd said Pascal or Modula-2 I'd have agreed with you based on your argument, but Java? Nope. It's an industrial language (meaning, don't care how it gets done just do it) rather than a teaching language. The amount of ways you can do bad things in it if you don't know what you're doing is pretty huge.

Which isn't to say that there are no worse languages - I still think you deserve a custodial sentence for trying to teach programming using C++ or Perl for example - but there are better ones.

Personally, I'm a fan of languages that were designed for teaching if you're going to teach (so as mentioned, Pascal and Modula-2) with the next languages taught (because if you only learn one, you're not being taught properly) being things like C, Python, Erlang and the like (Python is by this stage established enough to have gotten away from questions about its longevity in terms of university courses, I think).

But, from the OP's post, I think that (a) they may not understand just how large a job learning to program is; (b) they may not actually need or want to become a developer; and (c) if I'm wrong about (a) and (b) and the OP is learning a new language to go get a job, then there's a lot of languages out there that you can get work doing - C++, Objective C, Java, Perl, PHP, C#, whatever. C++ is probably the most universal closely followed by Java; it's the esoteric and cool languages, and especially the new ones, that you'd have trouble finding work in (like Erlang, say. There *are* jobs there, but not as many as with the others).

But I think that I was right about (a) and (b) and perhaps something more like the lower end of web development would be something for the OP to be aiming at rather than writing apps and the like, so languages like PHP would be useful but learning how to set up websites using existing frameworks and tools like wordpress and others might be more helpful to them.

Sparks wrote: »
    Just on the academic point, if you'd said Pascal or Modula-2 I'd have agreed with you based on your argument, but Java?
    Sorry, I took the OP's question to be a practical one.

Sorry, I took the OP's question to be a practical one.
    So did I, hence the note there at the start and the entire second half of my post :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

FWIW you can do this with C# too by using CSC.exe:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/78f4aasd.aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms379563(v=vs.80).aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭nagilum2

Python.

See these tutorials:

1. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA175E8A1816CD64B (if you insist on java, he also has a phenomenal java series. Disclaimer, I have years of work in both and I think python will get you up to speed on programming concepts faster without some of java's required verbosity)
    2. http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
    3. http://interactivepython.org/runestone/static/thinkcspy/GeneralIntro/introduction.html#the-way-of-the-program
    4. https://gettingstartedwithdjango.com (For your web development wishes)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Sparks wrote: »

I still think you deserve a custodial sentence for trying to teach programming using C++ or Perl for example - but there are better ones.

How is your Perl as I find this an odd statement. I've only being coding for about 4-5 years (outside shell scripts etc) however I started with Perl. I've since went into other languages but I'd recommend Perl to anyone as a starter. It's quite high level, has similar syntax to PHP and other languages which makes transition easy. I do think there are more relevant languages, sort of, but regarding ease, Perl is certainly up there.

Just to be clear; the OP should possibly go with a more relevant language. I needed Perl for an application my company inherited after a merge so it was forced onto me. However, I just wanted to point out that it is a fairly handy one to learn.

Came across this thread again and I'd say have a look at html first.
    It's the most basic website language I know of and pretty easy to learn.

Once you have fundamentals in html other web languages will be easier to understand.

I think PHP/MySQL is probably best if you want to go towards web.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

biko wrote: »
    Came across this thread again and I'd say have a look at html first.
    It's the most basic website language I know of and pretty easy to learn

I'd have to disagree.

HTML is a markup language, not a programming language. Big difference.

Control structures, loops and conditional statements are pretty important to learning a language, none of which HTML has. And then of course there are objects and OOP concepts.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Hi OP,

FWIW, I've started learning Java recently.

Started with the book "Head first Java". After some studying on that and practicing the exercises I am now studying a MOOC class which I think is very helpful in getting the head around coding and its logic.

http://mooc.cs.helsinki.fi/programming-part1

Getting about 2hrs a night on it and about 5 a day at weekends. The time flies though and learning a lot (I think :P)

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree.

HTML is a markup language, not a programming language. Big difference.

Control structures, loops and conditional statements are pretty important to learning a language, none of which HTML has. And then of course there are objects and OOP concepts.
    Neither me nor OP has mentioned programming.
    He asked how to make an app or website and what language to start with, I've answered twice about how to start with html and an easy website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I would agree with Biko that HTML is a great language to start off with.

It has the easiest set-up, notepad.exe and a web-browser is all that is needed.

It is easy to learn and teach.

Enter the following into notepad:
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>My First Webpage</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    <h1>Hello world.</h1>
    </body>
    </html>

Filename: helloworld.html
    Save as type: All files(*.*)

Open in web browser.

Using HTML, one can learn about:

* best-practices, naming standards, syntax

* the importance of file-names, upper-case / lowercase, spaces etc.

* good project / folder structure, www/html, www/images etc.

* adding attributes (parameters) to elements (methods)

* including / importing components such as css

* moving on to more complex languages such as Javascript

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

nagilum2 wrote: »
    Python.

See these tutorials:

1. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA175E8A1816CD64B (if you insist on java, he also has a phenomenal java series. Disclaimer, I have years of work in both and I think python will get you up to speed on programming concepts faster without some of java's required verbosity)
    2. http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
    3. http://interactivepython.org/runestone/static/thinkcspy/GeneralIntro/introduction.html#the-way-of-the-program
    4. https://gettingstartedwithdjango.com (For your web development wishes)

Good advice here, and that learnpythonthehardway book is quite short, keeps interest and would teach you quite a bit.
    I feel like we went backwards with assembly, c++, java in uni. Didn't do python etc at all.

biko wrote: »
    Neither me nor OP has mentioned programming.
    He asked how to make an app or website and what language to start with, I've answered twice about how to start with html and an easy website.
    While I would be one to agree with Tom, I'll have to agree with you here on reflection as the OP never did mention programming. I think we've all been jumping to conclusions and projecting our own values of what they should do ever since.
    Mandzhalas wrote: »
    Hi i was let go from my job,and cant find any.sitting home and doing nothing everyday is killing me.
    Would to learn some usefull skill ,like how to make android app or website.
    Where i start?what language to learn first?
    Reading over what they posted again, my first thought of a response is actually "English".

However, that aside, this appears to me to be a person who's lost their job, needs another, and seemingly IT looks like an attractive market. Hence the rather vague nature of the request; essentially, (s)he was asking "lost my job and need another; this IT lark looks like there's some work going in it - anyone tell me what techie language I need to learn so I can do the whole Web and app and whatever thing?"

So to begin with his real question is how can he go into IT, from a complete beginners position, not what language should he learn - that's already a step, maybe two ahead. And in the end, this interest for a career change was just a passing fancy at that, because after that initial post, they basically abandoned the thread to us debating things that have little to do with what he asked for in the first place.

• Advertisement

While I would be one to agree with Tom, I'll have to agree with you here on reflection as the OP never did mention programming. I think we've all been jumping to conclusions and projecting our own values of what they should do ever since.
    I thought that for a moment, then I remembered that this is the Development forum. So honestly, assuming someone is looking for help with a development problem (as opposed to just writing a html webpage), it's not that awful an assumption to be making.
    However, that aside, this appears to me to be a person who's lost their job, needs another, and seemingly IT looks like an attractive market.
    +1.

Advertisement