Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Waiting on [learners permit]

Options
  • 11-12-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Passed my theory on monday and then went on to a local NDLS centre to proceed to get my licence, hoping to be on the road of xmas. Was told i would be 10-14 days until my licence is sent out and i have given a receipt stating my method of payment and a driver number on it.

I asked if i could drive while waiting on my licence and the people working there couldnt tell me but a friend that is only driving a short while said i should be able to as he was driving on a "Yellow piece of paper" while waiting on his licence.

I went to ring up NDLS today to get a definite answer but was on the phone for a long time so long story short. Anyone here know if i can drive/ do lessons while waiting on my licence to be sent out. All i have is the recipt, also found out there is a major backlog when i went onto the NDLS website.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭jd6920s

Supposedly (or as I was told) you can drive ,however some insurance companies actually want the licence in hand before you get insurance, not sure about driving instructor but I think it varies which one, waiting 5 weeks here and I'd say I'll be waiting a lot longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

5 weeks! Looks like i wont be driving for christmas so!

I rang a driving instructor there today and he said he wont do lessons unless i have the actual licence that it would nullify his insurance.

Think ill try give NDLS a ring tomorrow to actually find out.

Thanks for the answer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Do you mean Learner's Permit? (The reason I ask is that only someone who has passed their test can get a licence. Those waiting on a licence are generally permitted to drive with their receipt, which is what your friend may be talking about)

I think most instructors would require you to be in possession of the actual physical permit before they'll take you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Passed my theory on monday and then went on to a local NDLS centre to proceed to get my licence, hoping to be on the road of xmas. Was told i would be 10-14 days until my licence is sent out and i have given a receipt stating my method of payment and a driver number on it.

I asked if i could drive while waiting on my licence and the people working there couldnt tell me but a friend that is only driving a short while said i should be able to as he was driving on a "Yellow piece of paper" while waiting on his licence.

I went to ring up NDLS today to get a definite answer but was on the phone for a long time so long story short. Anyone here know if i can drive/ do lessons while waiting on my licence to be sent out. All i have is the recipt, also found out there is a major backlog when i went onto the NDLS website.

The RSA have emailed ADI,s telling them not to accept the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Do you mean Learner's Permit? (The reason I ask is that only someone who has passed their test can get a licence. Those waiting on a licence are generally permitted to drive with their receipt, which is what your friend may be talking about)

I think most instructors would require you to be in possession of the actual physical permit before they'll take you on.

I think you knew what he meant, passing theory test was abit of a give away.

The last couple of driving instructors didn't even ask me for my learners permit, maybe because I could be older than OP, I don't know.

I am currently waiting over 3 weeks for mine.

• Advertisement

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    The RSA have emailed ADI,s telling them not to accept the receipt.

Yes it was the permit sorry provisional licence whatever you want to call it

really not liking what im hearing about this. sounds like ill be lucky to be driving by feb:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 85,184 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is disgraceful the waiting times for your permit or licence from NDLS

Im still waiting last time i checked it was being processed and was told it could take up to another 6 weeks. Thats a joke to be honest. Dont even do pink slips to give permission for lessons ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Walshey96

I'll be waiting 3 weeks on Monday. Its frustrating looking at the car in the garden knowing I can't drive it. Hope you get your permit soon :)

• Advertisement

Walshey96 wrote: »
    I'll be waiting 3 weeks on Monday. Its frustrating looking at the car in the garden knowing I can't drive it. Hope you get your permit soon :)

exactly the same situation have the car since before i sat my theory. now ive just got to start it up every few days to keep the battery from going. I sit into it sit there for a few minutes think about it all get out and lock it back up! Devestating :P

exactly the same situation have the car since before i sat my theory. now ive just got to start it up every few days to keep the battery from going. I sit into it sit there for a few minutes think about it all get out and lock it back up! Devestating :P

That's exactly what I do. Hopefully we'll have our permits soon enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭easy1

Sorry for asking,but do I need make a appointment at NDLS centre for proceeding my learner permit?
    Thank you in advance.

easy1 wrote: »
    Sorry for asking,but do I need make a appointment at NDLS centre for proceeding my learner permit?
    Thank you in advance.

No you just need to show up with the required forms you need and your good to go.

easy1 wrote: »
    Thank you in advance.

You do need to have an eye test done which i didnt know about. :cool:

Not necroing on this thread. Just wanted to let anyone waiting how ive been getting along with the process. Rang today as i have been doing ever since it went over the 2 week mark ( im aware of a delay ) and now, after been told that there isnt a problem with my permit that it was just the delay causing it all i got through to someone who actually went further to look into it. He came back and told me that there was infact a problem that a certain question had not been marked accordingly and thats what was holding it all up. I remember filling out the forms because i did it all on the spot and then had an NDLS worker go through it. Im really not happy with how long this is taking new system or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I was told 3 to 4 weeks wait for mine. They have taken a system where you had to queue all day in a tax office but get your permit pretty quick in the post to one where your in and out quickly but waiting an eternity to get the permit.

Why can they do it like the U.S and issue you a permit there and then once you have provided all the required documentation.

Not necroing on this thread. Just wanted to let anyone waiting how ive been getting along with the process. Rang today as i have been doing ever since it went over the 2 week mark ( im aware of a delay ) and now, after been told that there isnt a problem with my permit that it was just the delay causing it all i got through to someone who actually went further to look into it. He came back and told me that there was infact a problem that a certain question had not been marked accordingly and thats what was holding it all up. I remember filling out the forms because i did it all on the spot and then had an NDLS worker go through it. Im really not happy with how long this is taking new system or not!

I rang the NDLS last week and they told me I should have my permit someday this week. Hopefully I do as I can't start my driving lessons until I have it. Hope you get yours soon mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭easy1

I was told when waiting time might be up to 5 weeks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

It doesnt get any better once u pass.

I applied for my full licence in the NDLS centre on the 18th of December. Still no sign of it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Second week of December ones are being mailed out now it seems, so I'd imagine within the next 10 days it should be out. They do seem to be (slowly) catching up. They have announced they should be fully up to speed by the end of the month so we shall have to see.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Second week of December ones are being mailed out now it seems, so I'd imagine within the next 10 days it should be out. They do seem to be (slowly) catching up. They have announced they should be fully up to speed by the end of the month so we shall have to see.

That's great to hear. I had to cancel my lessons due to not having the Permit yet. It really is a joke!

Finally got my Learners Permit this morning :D Did you receive yours yet LawlessBoy?

Still no sign of it

Still no sign of it
    Finally got to drive the car instead of looking at :D It'll probably arrive next week. Mine took exactly 5 weeks to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

The_B_Man wrote: »
    It doesnt get any better once u pass.

I applied for my full licence in the NDLS centre on the 18th of December. Still no sign of it!

If it's of any help.

I applied for mine on the 14th of December at citywest. Rang them today. They said it was posted the 15th. Lo and behold. There it was when I got home today, the 20th.

Although it's the wrong address. So I need to send it back. There mistake.

I am still waiting believe it or not. Looks like there isnt an order to how they do them at all. Terrible system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Only in Ireland do we go from a 2-3 day turnaround to 2 bloody months. Progress my arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I ordered mine on December 6th and there's still no sign of my permit :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ashamix

Applied for 1st time learners permit today in Athlone,they say it could be 4 to 6 weeks due to backlog.

Advertisement