Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Raider190 wrote: »
    So if a candidate is smart holds a degree a masters degree and say 4. Years Garda reserve experience and spent the last two years designing hr related aptitude testing systems then the chances of success are good

Maybe not, he could have an attitude that stinks and fail the interview, reserve or not.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Devil08 wrote: »
    Are you a reserve raider? If you are then now I know why reserves get a bad rap. They must let anyone into the reserve

Careful now your insults have gotten you into trouble before. And no they are quite selective and the process is exactly the same apart from the physical

Careful now your insults have gotten you into trouble before. And no they are quite selective and the process is exactly the same apart from the physical

Don't forget the aptitude now, more wrong information.

thekopend wrote: »
    Maybe not, he could have an attitude that stinks and fail the interview, reserve or not.

But the interview process is the same for the regular as for the reserve. Competency based except the reserve will have some actual police experience in order to demonstrate his or hers competency. So the logic is pretty clear

For the sake of the whole forum I am not feeding you anymore

• Advertisement

Don't forget the aptitude now, more wrong information.

The aptitude is so simple and. I say this in the context of working in this sector. It is standard and will pose no problem to those who are well balanced and of average intelligent. But you are correct the test is different for the reserve but designed to test the same attributes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭robo008

I said I would not get sucked in but I have! There seems to be an awful lot of jealousy from non reserves here. People saying they take on anyone? Just remember lads wen it comes to interview, full timers I work with were asked why they didn't join the reserve before the moratorium! It will be heavily asked this time around. Also just think of this lads 13000 full timers 1300 reserves max. Yes some come and go however it is an accomplishment to get a reserve spot. Say there was 1300 reserves hired in its 7 years. Assuming they hire the same amount every year that estimating 185 hired each year. Which is less than they will hire this year full time. So don't think anybody gets in! Just remember we have on the job experience. Weve shown community involvement, commitment to a career, it's proof we aren't driven by financial gain, volunteering, a career in AGS Is not for everone, reserves will be less likely to drop out! I'm in the reserve 3 years I know I won't get it this time around. There are many fine over qualified reserves to compete against. Obviously not all reserves will make it! But I just can't believe how slated the reserve is here. Good luck lads...

For the sake of the whole forum I am not feeding you anymore

you choose to answer and poke holes in most of the posters here. You need to respect others opinions and those of us who do have some police experience and who are also doing their best to further their career by joining the regular. A number of posters on this forum are serving members and hoping to join as Garda trainees, perhaps you could remember this for future postings

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

you choose to answer and poke holes in most of the posters here. You need to respect others opinions and those of us who do have some police experience and who are also doing their best to further their career by joining the regular. A number of posters on this forum are serving members and hoping to join as Garda trainees, perhaps you could remember this for future postings

Does that mean that because I'm not in the reserve I'm less entitled to apply? I didn't know that reserves are getting in automatically, apologies raider 190, seems you might make it after all. What rank are you in the reserve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

robo008 wrote: »
    I said I would not get sucked in but I have! There seems to be an awful lot of jealousy from non reserves here. People saying they take on anyone? Just remember lads wen it comes to interview, full timers I work with were asked why they didn't join the reserve before the moratorium! It will be heavily asked this time around. Also just think of this lads 13000 full timers 1300 reserves max. Yes some come and go however it is an accomplishment to get a reserve spot. Say there was 1300 reserves hired in its 7 years. Assuming they hire the same amount every year that estimating 185 hired each year. Which is less than they will hire this year full time. So don't think anybody gets in! Just remember we have on the job experience. Weve shown community involvement, commitment to a career, it's proof we aren't driven by financial gain, volunteering, a career in AGS Is not for everone, reserves will be less likely to drop out! I'm in the reserve 3 years I know I won't get it this time around. There are many fine over qualified reserves to compete against. Obviously not all reserves will make it! But I just can't believe how slated the reserve is here. Good luck lads...

I actually agree that gardai reserves have an advantage, well at the interview stage anyway. But as been said many times on this forum there are loads of other ways to show community involvement, commitment to a career and all the rest of it.

They might ask ''why didnt you join the reserves? Sure there are hundreds of reasons why a person couldnt join financially, busy earning a living, involved in other important organisations, family commitments, busy with college work ect ect...

• Advertisement

Jesus, they really do take on anyone. Best of luck to you, please let us know how u get on, if you get on :)

When your commitment level increases and you decide to actually do something that may help you join the Gardai then your opinion would be of value but to sit on the sideline and denigrate those who put on a uniform and a stab vest and put themselves ion the line. Well that clearly says a lot

Shady Tady wrote: »
    Does that mean that because I'm not in the reserve I'm less entitled to apply? I didn't know that reserves are getting in automatically, apologies raider 190, seems you might make it after all. What rank are you in the reserve?

Everyone is entitled to apply and Reserves won't automatically get a training slot but when it comes to an interview they will have an advantage, as regard rank within the reserve there is only one that of reserve Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

carzony wrote: »

They might ask ''why didnt you join the reserves? Sure there are hundreds of reasons why a person couldnt join financially, busy earning a living, involved in other important organisations, family commitments, busy with college work ect ect...

but while your explaining and excusing why you didnt/wouldnt/couldnt others will be leaping in front of you

if your explaining your losing!

Scouser wrote: »
    but while your explaining and excusing why you didnt/wouldnt/couldnt others will be leaping in front of you

if your explaining your losing!

If the reserves were such an asset they would have been given some kind of preference in this campaign. At the end of the day they've to compete with the rest of us. As I said the only advantage they have is at the interview stage but sure anyone involved in a voluntary organisation/community will have a good chance at the interview aswell..

We shall see when the 300 are picked and see how many are reserves.. If it's a low number I reckon the reserves won't be very happy. Hopefully they'll leave and make the government have 'proper' recruitment campaigns..

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

nobody can have a good enough excuse for not joining the reserve, its 4 hours a week which in fairness is very little. People on here arguing with each other and putting down the reserve could have put their time to better use ;)

thestar wrote: »
    nobody can have a good enough excuse for not joining the reserve, its 4 hours a week which in fairness is very little. People on here arguing with each other and putting down the reserve could have put their time to better use ;)

put that big spoon away!

I actually agree that gardai reserves have an advantage, well at the interview stage anyway. But as been said many times on this forum there are loads of other ways to show community involvement, commitment to a career and all the rest of it.

Imagine how impressed they would be given all the above and you still found the time to work with regular as a reseve..........they would be giving your application some serious consideration

If the reserves were such an asset they would have been given some kind of preference in this campaign. At the end of the day they've to compete with the rest of us. As I said the only advantage they have is at the interview stage but sure anyone involved in a voluntary organisation/community will have a good chance at the interview aswell..

We shall see when the 300 are picked and see how many are reserves.. If it's a low number I reckon the reserves won't be very happy. Hopefully they'll leave and make the government have 'proper' recruitment campaigns..

Agree with you there that it doesn't show much faith in them that there was no preference was given to reserves. Interesting to see the question about being a reserve in the application form however

I work, have college and work with the civil defence twice a week. I actually work alongside lots of gardai. Being honest The main reason I didnt go for the reserves is the time it takes to go through the checks ect....

Agree with you there that it doesn't show much faith in them that there was no preference was given to reserves. Interesting to see the question about being a reserve in the application form however

I did consider that but as I said we shall see how many are actually recruited in the campaign.. I think if recruitment becomes a regular thing than the reserve force won't be as big because people will just wanna join full time again..

Why then on initial application are serving or former Reserves been asked to identify themselves and I dont believe that it is for statistical purposes

• Advertisement

Why then on initial application are serving or former Reserves been asked to identify themselves and I dont believe that it is for statistical purposes

I don't know the answer to that and neither do you. I could well be statistical... Anyone what does it mean? you still need to go through the process the same as any joe soap and if not the rest of the applicants will feel it's unfair..

I would love to know how many reserves actually want to go full time.. aHopefully this campaign can give us a rough answer..

For whatever reason it is the aptitude tests are still gonna be marked the same way, regardless of being a reserve or not, its the one step in the process where one has to earn their right to the next stage

I don't know the answer to that and neither do you

HR will have that answer for you

I did consider that but as I said we shall see how many are actually recruited in the campaign.. I think if recruitment becomes a regular thing than the reserve force won't be as big because people will just wanna join full time again..[/QUOTE]

The total number of the force will be 13000 for a number of years to come and the Reserve will stand at 10 percent . The UK forces faced problems with keeping there numbers in the past. Their solution was to offer their special constables full time 3 yearly renewable contracts

I don't know the answer to that and neither do you. I could well be statistical... Anyone what does it mean? you still need to go through the process the same as any joe soap and if not the rest of the applicants will feel it's unfair..

I would love to know how many reserves actually want to go full time.. aHopefully this campaign can give us a rough answer..

Hands up anyone who has a mate in HR

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

The UK forces faced problems with keeping there numbers in the past. Their solution was to offer their special constables full time 3 yearly renewable contracts

Could you go into more detail on that?

For whatever reason it is the aptitude tests are still gonna be marked the same way, regardless of being a reserve or not, its the one step in the process where one has to earn their right to the next stage

Totally agree but when your file arrives at the interview panel table with a reserve member marker on it then the game changes

Hitchroun wrote: »
    Could you go into more detail on that?

All on line I believe think it was 3 to 5 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

All on line I believe think it was 3 to 5 years ago

Yeah, I tried. Can't find anything.

• Advertisement

Totally agree but when your file arrives at the interview panel table with a reserve member marker on it then the game changes

If the aptitude goes well;);)

i'm certain there is better qualified people out there than a lot of the reserves.. As an earlier poster said they only dedicate 4 hours a week.. and from a report i read here a few months ago a lot of them aint even given that much time..

Advertisement