Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer products that you are glad you missed

Options
  • 06-01-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭

I missed out on, CD and DVD. Went straight from vinyl and VHS to digital.
    I missed out on independent (Stand Alone) digital cameras went straight to smartphone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

I am a complete technophile.

Even had a Mini Disc Walkman.

Yup, I was the guy that bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Sega Dreamcast.
    Held out for the Ps2 instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

how can you be glad to miss something you never had

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Specialun wrote: »
    how can you be glad to miss something you never had

Pretty easily..

How about a kick to the face? I'd be glad to miss out on that. Would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Sega Dreamcast.
    Held out for the Ps2 instead...

the Dreamcast was a great console though. Was ahead of its time too playing quake 3 on it over a phone line was mental , and it was years before online gaming on a console took off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Smart watches will be my thing. Stupid idea, I have a smartphone that's more capable... and I hate watches

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

3D TV!
    I did get several mini disc players for the family but they were cheap way back when Courts closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Our Year wrote: »
    Pretty easily..

How about a kick to the face? I'd be glad to miss out on that. Would you?

***REPORTED***

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I only recently started playing Vinyl ! :D It's coming back in a big way actually so hope you didn't sell your Vinyl OP it never seems to lose it's value like CD's do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Apple products. I'm not saying that cos of anything I have against them, I just don't see any benefit of them over other similar or possibly even better products available at a lower price- but if you've always had Apple you'll probably want to stay with them- particularly cos of things like iTunes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Dishwasher. I've never lived in a house that has one, and I still haven't got around to buying one as I'm just as happy doing them by hand. Actually I haven't a clue how to use one, though can't think it's too difficult. I do know how to load them though.

Never owned a VCR either, didn't have one as a kid as they were mad expensive and we didn't have the dosh, now we have 3 DVD players.

Toasted sandwich machine. Never got around to getting one, no cash for it when we were kids. Not mad keen on getting one as I tend to burn the skin off me mouth with them anyway.

Video games/Playstation/PS 3 etc etc. Nope, never had one, played on one a couple of times. (I'm in my early 40's BTW) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

krudler wrote: »
    the Dreamcast was a great console though. Was ahead of its time too playing quake 3 on it over a phone line was mental , and it was years before online gaming on a console took off.

three more posts dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Apple products, have a real dislike for iTunes and how tied into apple products people get.

Red Kev wrote: »
    Dishwasher. I've never lived in a house that has one, and I still haven't got around to buying one as I'm just as happy doing them by hand. Actually I haven't a clue how to use one, though can't think it's too difficult. I do know how to load them though.

Never owned a VCR either, didn't have one as a kid as they were mad expensive and we didn't have the dosh, now we have 3 DVD players.

Toasted sandwich machine. Never got around to getting one, no cash for it when we were kids. Not mad keen on getting one as I tend to burn the skin off me mouth with them anyway.

Video games/Playstation/PS 3 etc etc. Nope, never had one, played on one a couple of times. (I'm in my early 40's BTW) :-)

How anyone can live without a dishwasher is beyond me. That's wasted time you'll never get back. It's like cutting the grass with a scythe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    How anyone can live without a dishwasher is beyond me. That's wasted time you'll never get back. It's like cutting the grass with a scythe

Have to say I'd be with Kev, find washing dishes by hand strangely relaxing

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

A well cared for scythe can be very efficient in cutting grass that has got too long for a gentle going over with the lawnmower.

Red Kev wrote: »

I moved into a new apartment once, was the first tenant to live there and we were there for 5 years, when we moved out the dishwasher still had the instruction manual and a box of tablets in it, never used once we used to just do it by hand. The landlord asked us if we replaced it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Daqster wrote: »

Ran my minidisc last night, still sounded great. Just a flop from Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Daqster wrote: »

I had one too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Analogue mobile phones. 088.
    Look it up kids!

• Advertisement

We use one now and unloading it is a pain in the hoop, I'd rather just wash stuff by hand it only takes a few mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

6541 wrote: »
    I missed out on, CD and DVD. Went straight from vinyl and VHS to digital.
    I missed out on independent (Stand Alone) digital cameras went straight to smartphone.

Were you in a coma ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ikarie

The Filofax rage and all it's accessories

(showing my age here!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

JOSman wrote: »
    Ran my minidisc last night, still sounded great. Just a flop from Sony.
    marcbrophy wrote: »
    I had one too :pac:

I remember HMV on Henry St had a Mini Disc "section".

It was three little small shelves behind the calendars.

I loved it though, especially in the car as it meant no rewinding or fast forwarding.

Played the **** out of George Michael's Listen Without Pr.. I mean, Rage Against The Machine's debut album.

calanus wrote: »
    A well cared for scythe can be very efficient in cutting grass that has got too long for a gentle going over with the lawnmower.

Strimmer, quicker and more efficient! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Tamagotchis and power ranger figurines. Even at my impressionable age, I thought they were the most ridiculous things ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Furbys, god I hate those things, even when they first came out I hated them, i was the only kid in my class who hadn't got one at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Minidisks were great little piracy machines, could record from any source without losing any quality hardly, musicians liked them aswell for the same reason, good recorders.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

6541 wrote: »
    You didn't really miss out on those, they're still the best way to take a photo. Smartphone cameras while improving are still pretty terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭893bet

Blue ray

Advertisement