Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mince meat with 20% fat?

Options
  • 05-01-2014 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

probably a stupid question :o ....i buy mince with 20% fat...so if i buy 1kg of mince does that mean 200 grams of the weight is actually just fat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Cow's do have a large amount of fat on them ... Or do you think their chucking frytex into the mincer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Tastes lovely though, all the flavor is in the fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

Cow's do have a large amount of fat on them ... Or do you think there chucking frytex into the mincer

I am just wondering if i should get the dearer meat...if 200 grams is just fat then thats a waste of money,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

jenjenten wrote: »
    probably a stupid question :o ....i buy mince with 20% fat...so if i buy 1kg of mince does that mean 200 grams of the weight is actually just fat?

Yes.
    I am just wondering if i should get the dearer meat...if 200 grams is just fat then thats a waste of money,

Get a food processor and make your own mince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

No, it means 800g isn't fat.

• Advertisement

And how much is water ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Daqster wrote: »
    Yes.

Get a food processor and make your own.

Or buy a cow and cut lumps off it?

Tastes lovely though, all the flavor is in the fat.

it tastes horrible!....i drain off all the fat...ew!, its like eating a packet of lard :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

another 20% is water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

the cheaper high fat mince is good for burgers, meatballs etc,

the dearer lower fat mince is good for lasagne cottage pics etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Muise... wrote: »
    another 20% is water.
    Another 20% is bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I buy the less than 5% mince, had it tonight when I made a low fat taco chip :)

Another 20% is bone.

20% also packaging ?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Well worth getting the leaner mince in my view. It's a bit more expensive but tastes well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Another 20% is bone.

what's left..? Oh yeah, horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

another 20% is water.

And?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yes, for every 100g of meat 20g of it is fat.

If you looking at calories or watching your weight 20% is bad stuff. Take this Tesco 20% mince. 100g of meat is 20g of fat. Each gram of fat is 9 calories. So 180 calories worth of fat for every 100g of meat. The total calories including fat is only 252, so if you look beyond the volume/grams and into calories you'll see 20% mince is actually 71% fat :)

The same for whole milk. Typically it's 3.5% fat by volume, but in terms of calories it's also got a very high fat content, a lot more than 3.5% :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

it tastes horrible!....i drain off all the fat...ew!, its like eating a packet of lard :(

No way do you drain all of it.... the meat would be dry as fook without any fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Animal fat is good for you.Doesn't make you fat either apparently,it will make you feel full though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

For burgers you need more fat in the mince. Places that try and dress up what is essentially a burger should be burned down. It's an oxymoron to describe a burger as vast in the culinary experience it represents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Yes, for every 100g of meat 20g of it is fat.

If you looking at calories or watching your weight 20% is bad stuff. Take this Tesco 20% mince. 100g of meat is 20g of fat. Each gram of fat is 9 calories. So 180 calories worth of fat for every 100g of meat. The total calories including fat is only 252, so if you look beyond the volume/grams and into calories you'll see 20% mince is actually 71% fat :)

The same for whole milk. Typically it's 3.5% fat by volume, but in terms of calories it's also got a very high fat content, a lot more than 3.5% :)

Look at you with your facts. :P

We don't need facts just now, we're suffering from withdrawls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And how much is water ?

Average for grass fed beef is 75.1%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Steak mince from a butcher and one from a supermarket are poles apart in texture and taste. I cannot abide the cheap wormy white mince meat that some supermarkets pass off as edible but to be fair their steak mince is usually ok, still it has chewy bits which make me want to vomit. If you have a good local butcher then it is definitely worth a visit to buy your meat.

No way do you drain all of it.... the meat would be dry as fook without any fat.

I drain most of it off....the pan has no visible fluid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

what's left..? Oh yeah, horse.

Don't forget the hormones, antibiotics and other assorted shyte.

btard wrote: »

:eek: .....stop it will ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

michellie wrote: »
    I buy the less than 5% mince, had it tonight when I made a low fat taco chip :)

You're doing it wrong :(

Mince from the butcher only.

I buy a lb of round mince and a lb of pork mince and mix them up. Absolutely delicious flavour from burgers, meatballs, lasagne cottage pie etc

Try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

btard wrote: »

You might please advise me of any Irish regulations that allow an animal into the food chain for human consumption where the animal has been treated with hormones?

Furthermore there is a lengthy time period given to any animal treated with antibiotics prior to it being eligible for human consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Don't buy mince meat from a supermarket.

Advertisement