Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance U25

Options
  • 12-12-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm 16 going on 17 and am very keen on driving as soon as possible. While I know insurance won't be cheap I'm wondering if anyone has taken out any policies recently (U-25's) and could give me the details? (even quotes would be helpful)
    As it stands, I'm going to be name driver under a Saab 93 Aero or a Mitsubishi L200, neither are ideal but it's my only choice, as taking out my own policy isn't any better :(

Thanks in advance :P

Jack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

You're either very foolish or very rich (perhaps both)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

oldyouth wrote: »
    You're either very foolish or very rich (perhaps both)

Well that's neither helpful or founded.

Best way to get a good quote is to get the phone boom out if it's your own policy.
    Seeing as it's your parents cars(I presume), you'll have to get them to call and ask about adding you to the policy.
    It won't be cheap, I'd guess between €1500 to €2500.
    If either are with Aviva, they offer 6 months insurance and 12 driving lessons for about €600 if I remember correctly. That got me on the road.

Focus on studying for your theory test and book it ASAP, don't forget some ID when you go to do it... I did. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭dingus12

Roughly 1200 to add yourself to your parents policy on the l200 with a full licence.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Well that's neither helpful or founded.

On reflection you are correct and I apologise. I initially took it that this young person was going to get his parents to 'front' one of those cars, which is a terrible idea. If they are the vehicles his parents currently own, then the rest of your answer is good advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

If you can afford it then I'd have to highly recommend you get your own cheap small car and insurance in your own name.
    Getting insurance for the next 8 years will still be disgracefully expensive unless you have NCB in your own name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

JDM Jack wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm 16 going on 17 and am very keen on driving as soon as possible. While I know insurance won't be cheap I'm wondering if anyone has taken out any policies recently (U-25's) and could give me the details? (even quotes would be helpful)
    As it stands, I'm going to be name driver under a Saab 93 Aero or a Mitsubishi L200, neither are ideal but it's my only choice, as taking out my own policy isn't any better :(

Jack

If these cars are insured already (in your parents names I assume) you will need to contact their insurance companies and get a price to add you on. They may or may not be prepared to do this depending on which company it happens to be.
    If there are not existing policies already in force on these vehicles I doubt you are going to get any company to quote for new business with you as a named driver considering the type of vehicles they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

SV wrote: »
    If you can afford it then I'd have to highly recommend you get your own cheap small car and insurance in your own name.
    Getting insurance for the next 8 years will still be disgracefully expensive unless you have NCB in your own name.

This, in a nutshell.

It's painful initially, paying stupid money for insurance starting out. My first year was €2k on a punto worth less than the insurance premium, but because I was earning my own NCB, I'm now paying <800 @ 22 for a 320d (fully comp) and have full no claims discount from 22. That realistically is about as cheap as it'll get until I hit 25. You really do save yourself in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

SV wrote: »
    Getting insurance for the next 8 years will still be disgracefully expensive unless you have NCB in your own name no matter what.
    FTFY.

Scammers. I've spent around 10k on car insurance.

Never needed it once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Taylor365 wrote: »
    FTFY.

Never needed it once.

Fair enough, I'm coming up on around the same myself. Hopefully will never need it but it's needed by the law and since going past 25 and getting 6 years NCB under my own name my insurance was just under 700 on a blacklisted car. I have 75% NCB discount!
    So compared to the potential 2800..

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JDM Jack

Just logged on now. Thanks for all the replies. I wouldn't say I'm foolish, just independent ;) As for money, I wouldn't be rich but I'm about 90% sure to get a part time job, so hopefully over the next 2 or 3 years I can save up a bit of dosh. Anyway, thanks again! :)

• Advertisement

Taylor365 wrote: »
    FTFY.

Never needed it once.

You did need it. Every time you went on the road, even for a 5 minute trip to the shops, you met your legal responsibility to the rest of us.

You did need it. Every time you went on the road, even for a 5 minute trip to the shops, you met your legal responsibility to the rest of us.

That's obviously not what he's saying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Yes it is, he's saying he wasted his money whereas in fact he got what he paid for, the legal right to be on the road, and the rest of us protected.

I'd take it that it's a scam in the sense that you have to pay so much, more than the price of the car and even after spending €10000 an not claiming once, they'll still fleece you.

Don't take everything so literally.

The price of the car has little to do with. You are mainly covering legal and medical expenses and it costs more when you are young because you are more likely to claim. How is that a scam.?

Most people have no idea how many €500,000 plus claims are settled every year. Even if no one else even claims for so much as a windscreen, it takes 1,000 claim free drivers paying €500 to pay for each one of those claims, leaving aside commission costs (5%) to brokers, claims legal fees, admin costs and 5% to the Govt as a levy

Anyone saying "I've paid €10k over the last X years and am being ripped off" have no understanding of the concept of insurance. The problem is not with the insurer (you're free to go to whichever one you want), it is with the person in the car next to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Most people have no idea how many €500,000 plus claims are settled every year.

In Ireland? The highest claim in AXA back in 2011 was €130k - that was when my dad worked there.

Sobanek wrote: »
    In Ireland? The highest claim in AXA back in 2011 was €130k - that was when my dad worked there.

Sorry, but that's nonsense. AXA are one of the largest motor insurers in Ireland and if they were involved in even one of the fatalities, with 1 injured passenger, that year, you can add a zero to the end

Sorry, but that's nonsense. AXA are one of the largest motor insurers in Ireland and if they were involved in even one of the fatalities, with 1 injured passenger, that year, you can add a zero to the end

The stories of huge claims with the likes of American ones are not true here, as a friend who got whiplash (rear ended at 50kph, so no scam there) got €30k from the other guy's insurance company (I think it was Quinn/liberty).
    Insurance companies make huge profits as my dad would start on average about 40 policies a day with his record being 91 (still not beaten by anyone)

Not saying there isn't any 500k claims, since the highest claim AXA had when he worked there was over 850k as 10 passengers of a bus were injured as a result of a crash - this is NOT bullcrap by any chance as this was shown to them during training.

be real, €30 for whiplash...how much do you think a paraplegic would get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

JDM Jack wrote: »
    Hey all,

Jack

A family member, aged 17, got insured on their parents policy, on a 2010 passat 1.9. Something around €710 i think for the full year, which was impressive, and that's fully comp. The car isn't going to make a huge difference, when you're a named driver, as long as its not something out of the ordinary.

Sobanek wrote: »
    The stories of huge claims with the likes of American ones are not true here, as a friend who got whiplash (rear ended at 50kph, so no scam there) got €30k from the other guy's insurance company (I think it was Quinn/liberty).
    Insurance companies make huge profits as my dad would start on average about 40 policies a day with his record being 91 (still not beaten by anyone)

Not saying there isn't any 500k claims, since the highest claim AXA had when he worked there was over 850k as 10 passengers of a bus were injured as a result of a crash - this is NOT bullcrap by any chance as this was shown to them during training.

Listen sonny, I have no idea what you mean by your dad would 'start' policies and I didn't know records were kept for starts. Sounds like a call centre chap to me. However, I can tell you that there is no way that AXA had a highest claim of €850k while your dad worked there unless he was just covering someones's lunch break one day.

Show your dad this thread and get him to PM me

Listen sonny, I have no idea what you mean by your dad would 'start' policies and I didn't know records were kept for starts. Sounds like a call centre chap to me. However, I can tell you that there is no way that AXA had a highest claim of €850k while your dad worked there unless he was just covering someones's lunch break one day.

Show your dad this thread and get him to PM me

He doesn't have an account on Boards, but I can ask him, sure.

PS - There are records kept, at least at the office on Wolfetone - the monthly bonus was dependent on the performance.

He worked with Polish customers though, so that may be different.

PS. Sorry, actually the record was €2m, not €850k.

So your dad is a sales rep, which is decent honest work, but don't be under any illusion that he would be privy to the individual claims records of his employers

So your dad is a sales rep, which is decent honest work, but don't be under any illusion that he would be privy to the individual claims records of his employers

Was.

That's what everyone was told during their training when they started work. Once again, it was for the Polish section so I don't know if that training is different to the one other people get.

Ah crap, his record on starting/opening/making new policies was 91 in a week!! Not a day!!! Sorry bout that
    And it was 44 a week on average (something got lost in translation)

One day record was 22 policies.

Apologies, maybe it's the fact I'm still at work and just tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Looking to go on my own policy myself cheapest quote i could get around was from First Ireland one of the only insurers that would even give me a quote when i told them i was 17!

Got a quote from first Ireland of €2350 on a 1.2 Renault Clio which cost a fraction of that! They also refuse to insure me until i do 5 lessons with an instructor that is registered with them

Did you check with liberty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

No im still ringing around but thats the cheapest so far. Still waiting on my permit to be sent out!:o

• Advertisement

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    No im still ringing around but thats the cheapest so far. Still waiting on my permit to be sent out!:o

Try the online quote system if you've 5 mins to spare, probably not as good as ringing, but you can do it after 10pm at night :P

Advertisement