Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Radio Nova morning format

Options
  • 25-10-2013 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hopped into the car this morning @ 7 or 8 minutes to 8. A male & female dj were yacking onto someone on the phone (apparently they had asked people to ring in and ask them questions about themselves). The male dj in over-excited and over exaggerated tones was telling some story about when he was kid driving a milk truck.

I presumed one of my kids had changed the channel to Spin or FM104... To my disbelief it was on Radio Nova! Marty Miller and some new female dj have been given this slot. They kept yacking, then there ads followed by news, sports, etc. After that they were back again and went on for another 2 minutes or so. A song was eventually played at 8.07am.

So, for a quarter of hour not one song was played. Wasn't a great fan of Pat Courtenay but at least he didn't go on and on and he played decent music. I appreciate Nova is a business at the end of the day but to go down the route of many other stations looks like a backward step to me.

The good thing about Nova was it played great music (yes, I'm over 40!) and there was relatively little mindless chat but looks like that's over. Back to Newstalk and my CD's:(

Comments

I'm only 25 but if listen to nova and the likes on the drive to work, cant stand the commercial muck. But like yourself I was driving away and begun to get very irritated with the mundane chat between the two of them, looked down expecting to see spin but no Nova it was. Big mistake, I'm on the brink of de tuning.

Hi Fooster King, I've moved your post to the radio forum which is more suitable for your thread. Please read their charter before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Fooster King

Thanks Whoops, I've read the charter - do I need to do anything else (i.e. repost)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I used to listen to Pat Courtney in morning commutes to work for the music. Past two mornings have been toorture I switched to 4fm for the music,, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Theyll only learn when its too late.........:rolleyes:.........its already too late for a lot of people...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

They have a new quiz after 8am .. 4 questions worth €20 each for the correct answer. You can 'gamble' your winnings for a crack at a music question worth €1000 .. music and lyrics (from 2 different songs) played at the same time. You only have 10 seconds to give the tune & artist for both songs. Looks a certainty to never be won!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I'll also miss Pat's vinyl tracks on Tuesday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

Well done Marty Miller no better man

Yeah, they found a niche but now want more - could backfire on them. Never thought i'd say it "Bring back Pat"

Yeah, they found a niche but now want more - could backfire on them. Never thought i'd say it "Bring back Pat"

Dont think Pat James would compromise his love of all things rock to do a breakfast show.............:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I was away last week so only caught up with this this morning. I think Marty would be better on his own, or maybe himself and this Joan woman are still finding their way around each other. I'll give it time anyhow.

Noticed they're doing a 'three word Tuesday' thing. Wonder where they got that idea from! :pac:

Is PC gone altogether or moved to a different slot? I'm not feeling the love for this Ernie dude who's doing the afternoon's now either.......

Apparently Pat's on holidays and will be taken over the afternoon slot when he gets back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

After a good 25 years of having her on air, I still fail to see just what it is that Joan Lea/Lee has to offer radio as a whole. In spite of all this, she still manages to gets good gigs on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Oh christ. I have now turned it off. I couldnt stand the babbling of those two on the breakfast show. Even the conversation subjects is crap. The music is very different and not my taste at all.

I now listen to Q102 and turn it over (when I remember) to Nova when Pat Courtnay appears in the afternoon.

I have spoken to a few of my regular customers in my shop and not one of them approves of the new morning show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I have turned off Nova breakfast - its awful - maybe they are chasing a different market these days ??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I find it ok tbh. They took a little while to get a bit of chemistry going but they're not too bad imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

It's really awful stuff. Tuned in last week and they had posted a picture of your ones shoes on Facebook and wanted people to comment on them. Holy **** what utter tripe. Why can't they just songs in the morning without trying to be wacky or off the wall. Standard of morning radio as a whole is gone to pot in this country. I found Pat Courtney not much better than the two they have now and with him on in the afternoons Nova is a no go area for me all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I can't listen to that bird on the morning programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Get yourself a DAB radio and have a listen to Zenith Classic Rock in the mornings! Minimal talk, maximum music!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

I have officially left Nova, whatever about Marty but yer one Joan is shocking, very hard to listen to and seem more interested in talking rubbish rather than playing music.

• Advertisement

Tried Nova again this week for a few mornings and it's just getting worse, i.e. every day they had this big over-animated and over-excited "conversation" about Marty having Xmas dinner on Sunday because his sister is back from Australia.

They're trying far too hard and it's not working. My emotions ranged from being embarrassed for them to be downright P**sed off with them. Pat C is trying equally hard in the evenings to be "hilarious". Thankfully my drive to and from work is less than 20mins.

They have good DJ's (e.g. Dee Woods) who play good music with the minimum of fuss/chat.

When did they forget that people tuned into Nova to hear good music and very little else?

They have good DJ's (e.g. Dee Woods) who play good music with the minimum of fuss/chat.

When did they forget that people tuned into Nova to hear good music and very little else?

1......Dee isnt ZANY enough..................

2.......On day 2..................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Was there something wrong with Pat Courtney in the morning? I just can't fathom this move by Nova although I do now have something to listen to I the evening. I didn't think his ratings were that bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

bbability wrote: »
    Was there something wrong with Pat Courtney in the morning? I just can't fathom this move by Nova although I do now have something to listen to I the evening. I didn't think his ratings were that bad?

I think it worked for both of the guys to swap, Pats older than Marty and has been doing Breakfast radio for a long time so naturally he would want to move into a more time friendly show, while Marty is getting a big break doing morning radio again, he's an established presenter but before Nova he was just a voice on a station between songs, seemed to drift between stations a lot, he's good at what he does and if it works well then he might get a move elsewhere or get a bigger reputation, like Foley moving to 98, Breakfast is the big one for any presenter.

That and Nova felt they had too many listeners and wanted to alienate a good few by betraying them and their beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is it Joan who used to the on the Strawberry Alarm Clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,071 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is it Joan who used to the on the Strawberry Alarm Clock?

Yes, about fifteen years ago at this stage I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

A lot of people hated the idea of Joan on Nova before the show even aired. She's not nearly as obnoxious as I was expecting tbh. They seem to be aiming at parents bringing their kids to school or at parents anyway.

Were you really expecting Nova to have incredible music at any time of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭furiousox

I love the way they call everyone "man".
    "Cheers man"
    "What are you up to man?"
    "Alright man"
    "Thanks for calling man"
    Well, I've given up and gone to Today FM.

".....man."

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

They seem to be aiming at parents bringing their kids to school or at parents anyway.

Agree - talk of childrens toys and babies keeping the adults awake...there are enough stations alrready doing this without Nova joining the bandwagon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Give me strength. I really like listening to Pat Courtnay but turning the dial to get away from those two in the morning is causing me to forget to turn back.

I listen to the radio for 14 hours a day and really hate those two who are now on the breakfast show. I used to ring in several times a week with traffic reports and what not. I even gave an on-air report to Pat about the Steve Miller concert in London.

I really got into it and customers in my shop regularly asked "what station is that?" Now its gone. I hope the powers that be realise before its to late.

I am sure Pat C is not upset, doesnt have to get up at 4am anymore:D

Advertisement