Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building milking parlour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jayk1

im in wexford, auld lad used to produce for premier, so id probably be going glanbia. yea i heard bout the 2c/l levy for the new plant there building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

jayk1 wrote: »
    im in wexford, auld lad used to produce for premier, so id probably be going glanbia. yea i heard bout the 2c/l levy for the new plant there building.

will see the share requirements being enforced more in the future imo... old ratio of 1 coop share per 25 gals wold cost a nice bit for 100k gallons for example esp after the last spin out share price is only going to go one way... maybe 3 euros a share who knows more even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

Uncle came down today and gave me a rough estimate for the parlour. He fits fullwood parlours. For 12 units and for what i wanted he reckoned €2,500 - €3,000 a unit. That includes a pipe big enough for 20 units, a dump line, he's going to use the old milk line and pump and jars for that, a low line wash unit and swing over arms. He was recommending the swing over arms because my pit is wide and it would suit. What do ye think good price?

I got a quote last week for a mueller tank also, for 12k it was coming in at 27k and if i wanted to put on better conpressors it was 30k, ill think ill get a better deal else were

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

jersey101 wrote: »
    Uncle came down today and gave me a rough estimate for the parlour. He fits fullwood parlours. For 12 units and for what i wanted he reckoned €2,500 - €3,000 a unit. That includes a pipe big enough for 20 units, a dump line, he's going to use the old milk line and pump and jars for that, a low line wash unit and swing over arms. He was recommending the swing over arms because my pit is wide and it would suit. What do ye think good price?

I got a quote last week for a mueller tank also, for 12k it was coming in at 27k and if i wanted to put on better conpressors it was 30k, ill think ill get a better deal else were

i wouldnt believe a word that lad said,
    did your family farm over east wicklow direction years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Well I told ya the deal I got on the 11k darakool tank before Jersey, I'd say that price will be hard to beat. Is your current parlour a fullwood? On the swingovers, yeh very common now, they surely don't add much expense at all, its only a bar of steel on a hinge!

Hughs fullwood parlour in rathdrum took yrs to be finished from what I heard, you'd want to do a deal that the parlour is going to be done in a set timeframe, or there will be deductions to the end price paid!! Actually seeing as you are replacing the existing parlour, and are in wintermilk, how are you going to milk while the parlour is being put in? I'm looking at a parlour upgrade also at the second, the hassle of this is making me think twice about a new shed for the parlour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Timmaay wrote: »
    Well I told ya the deal I got on the 11k darakool tank before Jersey, I'd say that price will be hard to beat. Is your current parlour a fullwood? On the swingovers, yeh very common now, they surely don't add much expense at all, its only a bar of steel on a hinge!

Hughs fullwood parlour in rathdrum took yrs to be finished from what I heard, you'd want to do a deal that the parlour is going to be done in a set timeframe, or there will be deductions to the end price paid!! Actually seeing as you are replacing the existing parlour, and are in wintermilk, how are you going to milk while the parlour is being put in? I'm looking at a parlour upgrade also at the second, the hassle of this is making me think twice about a new shed for the parlour.

250 a unit for a swingover frame, over-rated a good midline unit set-up right is twice as quick

jaymla627 wrote: »
    250 a unit for a swingover frame, over-rated a good midline unit set-up right is twice as quick
    fullwood have a new one coming out its 160 a unit. It has the stainless steel ram on it already. To put the milk meters and removers then is 800e extra

dar31 wrote: »
    i wouldnt believe a word that lad said,
    did your family farm over east wicklow direction years ago?

yep in avoca. Ten years ago now

Timmaay wrote: »

ye im getting quotes on the packo tank and the dari kool, there both the same tanks either way.
    Well if dairymaster can put in parlours in 3 days i say it could be done quite promptly if i said so, its simple enough though. If he had 3 or 4 8 hour days it could be put in id say.
    Ye but hugh got held up with grants and money and all being held up, so i was told any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭dungfly

fullwood have a new one coming out its 160 a unit. It has the stainless steel ram on it already. To put the milk meters and removers then is 800e extra

Who uses milk metres, is it mainly winter milkers? Can they be justified for a 70 cow herd in spring calving?

800 quid a unit for metres. This is only measuring vol and conductivity. Does this not seen very expensive. Conductivity should be very cheap and single to measure me thinks!

• Advertisement

dungfly wrote: »
    Who uses milk metres, is it mainly winter milkers? Can they be justified for a 70 cow herd in spring calving?

800 quid a unit for metres. This is only measuring vol and conductivity. Does this not seen very expensive. Conductivity should be very cheap and single to measure me thinks!

they all come in the one now, meters and removers. I certainly wont be putting in meters or removers, ill extend the parlour to the 20 units before i do that.
    If you have everything else you want done on the farm then ye might aswell spend it on the parlour. Ill never put big money into a parlour though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

they all come in the one now, meters and removers. I certainly wont be putting in meters or removers, ill extend the parlour to the 20 units before i do that.
    If you have everything else you want done on the farm then ye might aswell spend it on the parlour. Ill never put big money into a parlour though

24 units no need for removers unless you're on a walking frame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

delaval wrote: »

Most lads I see around me puttin in on avg 14 units (new parlours) are putting removers on them.
    Personally I think they are a great job if you have a few different guys milking as the cow is milked the same way each time. I think this really helps scc. As over milking does increase it.

Most lads I see around me puttin in on avg 14 units (new parlours) are putting removers on them.
    Personally I think they are a great job if you have a few different guys milking as the cow is milked the same way each time. I think this really helps scc. As over milking does increase it.

Mine are over milked the whole time and there fine low scc and no mastitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

How much prep can you do without removers

do some of you think there is an acceptable level of overmilking... note the term OVERMILKING... proof in my eyes of their necessity in BIG parlours is when i went to see a 20 ubit in action and the clusters were put on 1-20 but they came off in a totally random sequence naturally enough.. there is no way imo that a milker can ensure some of his cows are not grossly overmilked... is there not some labour saving with them in so far as the unit is there waiting for u..

funny man wrote: »
    How much prep can you do without removers

"0"
    Clean cows, yards, cubicles with post spray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

24x15 secs is 6 minutes, even if you skip dipping it only leaves less than 2 minutes for changing row.you would struggle to shave time off 24 changes consistently and if one kick it off it would easily get over a minute sort it

i have an issue with this concept of express milking... ffs dirty cows need cleaning , high scc need sanitising etc quicker is not better imo..

i have an issue with this concept of express milking... ffs dirty cows need cleaning , high scc need sanitising etc quicker is not better imo..

Problem cows in seperate group, a few extra mins cleaning yards, cubicles etc goes a long way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

was on a farm last back end 22 unit no acr's milking off a stand off pad, it was something that i wouldn't like to see again. using a box of Tetra-delta every 3 weeks on 180 cows. i watched him teat-dip and i got him to look at what he was doing and he realised he was covering the back two tis at 60% and some of the front ones were barely hit. he done one row right after that and then back to high speed after that. in fairness there was no over milking as he just changed from 1-22 without waiting on some cows to finish, so you could say there was under milking. his scc were constantly over 200k and were at 450k when i was there.

funny man wrote: »
    was on a farm last back end 22 unit no acr's milking off a stand off pad, it was something that i wouldn't like to see again. using a box of Tetra-delta every 3 weeks on 180 cows. i watched him teat-dip and i got him to look at what he was doing and he realised he was covering the back two tis at 60% and some of the front ones were barely hit. he done one row right after that and then back to high speed after that. in fairness there was no over milking as he just changed from 1-22 without waiting on some cows to finish, so you could say there was under milking. his scc were constantly over 200k and were at 450k when i was there.
    id say now if i ever get to that size parlour i will employ someone to clean cows before cups and teat spray. They could do the tail painting aswell and feed calves.

Problem cows in seperate group, a few extra mins cleaning yards, cubicles etc goes a long way

Maybe if you could give the prep and milking routine you wouldn't have the need for a problem group?

Maybe if you could give the prep and milking routine you wouldn't have the need for a problem group?

Fresh penicillin and lame cows would be in a seperate group. A bit more attention to detail with cleanliness where cows lie and stand is a great help

Another poster mentioned disinfection after an Scc cow, I suggest that best practice would be to have her away from main group and milked last

No prep here and Scc sitting <140 for the year. It was a problem but a bit more attention to high traffic areas and cubicles did the trick along with culling persistent offenders

Fresh penicillin and lame cows would be in a seperate group. A bit more attention to detail with cleanliness where cows lie and stand is a great help

Another poster mentioned disinfection after an Scc cow, I suggest that best practice would be to have her away from main group and milked last

No prep here and Scc sitting <140 for the year. It was a problem but a bit more attention to high traffic areas and cubicles did the trick along with culling persistent offenders

I'd love to be able to get away with no prep. As it is I wash dirty ones, spray after only strip early in d year . Or if mastitis in filter. I agree clean sheds beds Etc helps. Wht bedding you use?
    This weather great all out dry n hardly any washing!

Jersey wht u getting new for that? What u doing wit stalls? Is it direct to line?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Lads what' have ye all got against technology in parlours.whatever about meters acrs are a must I think if your goibg tobyhe expense of putting in a new parlour.ive a 14 unit wit a heap of gizmos and the obe I really wouldn't be without is the acr .withoutvthem you'd proably need a second person in parlour unless you want to be tearing up and down the pit like a blue arse fly.no over milking and prep work before milking done correctly.on meters they do a hell of a lot more than just record volume and conductivity.when building my parlour I wanted something that would require one person in parlour all year and that is what I got.i will milk 110 on my own in aroubd an hour once quotas go.dont know how ye lads with x breeds stop over milking from August on in 20 unit parlours with no acrs and one man milking.jersey you seem to have the nuts and bolts of ur farm(cows ,grassland etc) well in place so why not spend a few extra quid in the place where you will do most of your work and make most of your money????.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Lads what' have ye all got against technology in parlours.whatever about meters acrs are a must I think if your goibg tobyhe expense of putting in a new parlour.ive a 14 unit wit a heap of gizmos and the obe I really wouldn't be without is the acr .withoutvthem you'd proably need a second person in parlour unless you want to be tearing up and down the pit like a blue arse fly.no over milking and prep work before milking done correctly.on meters they do a hell of a lot more than just record volume and conductivity.when building my parlour I wanted something that would require one person in parlour all year and that is what I got.i will milk 110 on my own in aroubd an hour once quotas go.dont know how ye lads with x breeds stop over milking from August on in 20 unit parlours with no acrs and one man milking.jersey you seem to have the nuts and bolts of ur farm(cows ,grassland etc) well in place so why not spend a few extra quid in the place where you will do most of your work and make most of your money????.

I have nothing against tech, in fact I use as much as possible and am moving to edrafting from semi auto.

Quiet honestly I cannot afford it, have bought land. I am getting out a lot of litres without it. If I stop expanding I will consider such, but will continue to take all opportunities as they appear. I have a few years to go and one piece of key land 14 acres to acquire and then an 80 point rotary fully loaded, till then I'll have to bang away with what we have

mahoney_j wrote: »

They let them over milk Mahoney
    They run up and down d parlour it's addictive I've done it! Wait till they are 50! And the knees n hips collapse! What's saved now will be spen on the replacements ( oh wait there's another thread about paying for health ins but lets not go there! )
    Second herd for to justify the running!

• Advertisement

I'd love to be able to get away with no prep. As it is I wash dirty ones, spray after only strip early in d year . Or if mastitis in filter. I agree clean sheds beds Etc helps. Wht bedding you use?
    This weather great all out dry n hardly any washing!

I am using White rhino twice daily but installed a brisket board and this has really helped. I put in a new concrete yard beside cubicles and let cows stand for half an hour after milking to allow sphincter to close in teat after milking. I also mix in a teat conditioner to the teat spray Btw tbc is between 6 and 12 every test

Advertisement