Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Stheno I reduce the amount of liquid by half when I'm making a stew in the slow cooker, or else throw in a handful of barley.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'd use pearl barley before cornflour every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

beertons wrote: »
    I'd use pearl barley before cornflour every time.
    definitely. Adds nutrition, flavour and texture as well as thickening it up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My slow cooker lamb stew recipe:
    Diced lamb (1.5 or 2 kilos, depending on how many you're feeding)
    2 large carrots, thinly sliced
    1 stick of celery, sliced
    1 large onion, thinly sliced
    A crushed clove of garlic
    A handful of pearl barley (don't be tempted to add more)
    2 teaspoons of tomato puree
    2 tablespoons of red wine (I keep some in the freezer in a tub)
    One pint of hot water mixed with one chicken stock cube
    A heaped dessertspoon of flour
    A pinch of dried rosemary or the chopped leaves from a sprig of fresh rosemary
    Salt and black pepper
    Oil for frying (I use olive oil)

Heat oil in a large frying pan and brown the meat in batches. Put it into the slow cooker and put the veg and garlic into the pan. Turn down the heat and cook for a few minutes. Sprinkle on the flour and then cook it for another minute.
    Push it all to the side and add the wine and puree to the pan - when it sizzles, add the stock.
    Stir well. Add the rosemary, barley and salt & black pepper, stir well and put it into the slow cooker.
    Cook for 4-5 hours on High or 8-10 hours on Low

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

My slow cooker lamb stew recipe:
    Diced lamb (1.5 or 2 kilos, depending on how many you're feeding)
    2 large carrots, thinly sliced
    1 stick of celery, sliced
    1 large onion, thinly sliced
    A crushed clove of garlic
    A handful of pearl barley (don't be tempted to add more)
    2 teaspoons of tomato puree
    2 tablespoons of red wine (I keep some in the freezer in a tub)
    One pint of hot water mixed with one chicken stock cube
    A heaped dessertspoon of flour
    A pinch of dried rosemary or the chopped leaves from a sprig of fresh rosemary
    Salt and black pepper
    Oil for frying (I use olive oil)

Heat oil in a large frying pan and brown the meat in batches. Put it into the slow cooker and put the veg and garlic into the pan. Turn down the heat and cook for a few minutes. Sprinkle on the flour and then cook it for another minute.
    Push it all to the side and add the wine and puree to the pan - when it sizzles, add the stock.
    Stir well. Add the rosemary, barley and salt & black pepper, stir well and put it into the slow cooker.
    Cook for 4-5 hours on High or 8-10 hours on Low

Hi Dizzy,

Thanks for that - it sounds absolutely delicious :)

Loire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm rediscovering my slow cooker as I'm going back to work in mid November and I've got 2 small kids so evenings will be chaos.

I found this recipe on line and tried it out today

Balsamic Beef
    1.5kg beef joint
    1 cup beef stock
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon honey
    1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
    Pinch of chilli flakes
    4 cloves chopped garlic

Put all wet liquids and garlic in a jug and mix together. Put beef in slow cooker, pour liquid over meat and cook for 4 hours on high.

It was totally yummy. The sauce is very rich and makes a lovely jus. If you like your beef rarer in the middle check it after 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Im on a bit of a roll this week!

Yesterday I did slow cooked roasted lemon chicken

Ingredients
    Medium chicken

3 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons pepper
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Zest of 1 lemon then cut lemon in half
    1 lemon quartered

4 carrots sliced
    4 sticks of celery sliced
    1 onion chopped

Put salt, pepper cayenne pepper and lemon zest into a jug and mix together.

Place celery, carrots, onions and quartered lemon onto bottom of slow cooker. Put chicken on top.

Pour a little liquid inside the chicken and the rest over the skin. Rub ingredients into skin.

Put halved lemon inside the chicken.

Cook on high for 4 hours.

Transfer to oven on a high heat for 20 mins if you want to crisp up the skin.

My husband was a bit unsure of the taste at first but the chicken was so tender it fell off the bone and you get a lovely lemon favoured broth with veg which is a pleasant change from gravy.

We served it with mash but I think next time I'd put chopped potatoes with the other veg and then we'd have a full dinner in the pot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

We served it with mash but I think next time I'd put chopped potatoes with the other veg and then we'd have a full dinner in the pot.

Baby/New potatoes work quite well for this. I'd normally throw them in for the last 45-60 mins, but I like them quite firm, you could double that if you wanted them softer.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

I made Lasagna in my slow cooker today. A first for me, it was nice but think I used too much pasta as it said to double layer the lasagna sheets but when I make it in the oven I usually end up with more sauce and less pasta and I think I prefer it like this. I love my slow cooker...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Did this over the weekend

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/01/slow-cooker-mongolian-beef.html

OH is allergic to soy so used this instead of soy sauce

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080604083216AA0VaPL

Was really really good, first time the slow cooker has impressed. Will do it again but maybe half the sugar as it was a little too sweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Does anyone have any veggie slow cooker recipes? There is only one (the tomato soup) linked on the front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

padraig.od wrote: »
    Does anyone have any veggie slow cooker recipes? There is only one (the tomato soup) linked on the front page.
    I read somewhere before you aren't supposed to cook beans and lentils in slow cooker but g do.
    I soak them overnight, drain add fresh water and cook on high for a few hours. Drain off some water and add tomatoes and chilli and make into a bean chilli

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Ok, so I went a bit nuts at the weekend and decided that I'd try bake a ginger cake in the slow cooker. I had a recipe from this slow cooker book that I picked up recently.

Ginger cake is relatively simple, I suppose, so I thought what could go wrong?

Well, nothing went wrong, but it was dreadful. The sponge was all wrong, very rubbery and it just didnt work at all.

Anyone else attempted a cake in the slow cooker? Its not like I burned it! But it was wrong, just plain wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Ok, so I went a bit nuts at the weekend and decided that I'd try bake a ginger cake in the slow cooker. I had a recipe from this slow cooker book that I picked up recently.

Well, nothing went wrong, but it was dreadful. The sponge was all wrong, very rubbery and it just didnt work at all.

Anyone else attempted a cake in the slow cooker? Its not like I burned it! But it was wrong, just plain wrong.

Not in the slow cooker but I made ginger cake in my bread maker once. It was horrible. Cake is just not meant to be made that way! :)

Never made cakes but seems some brilliant pictures from a Facebook group I am on called slow cooker saddos they make bread and self saucing puddings and stuff. Some lovely recipes on it

Self saucing pudding apparently

I cooked a smoked ham in my slow cooker yesterday without soaking it....(yes it would appear I am that stupid). It's so salty its hardly edible. I presume there is nothing I can do to save this at this late stage is there....:( I had been hoping to add it to a homemade macaroni but I don't think this will disguise the salt at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Dunno about salty pieces of meat, but any time I've made a sauce that was too salty, I added equal parts vinegar and sugar to counteract it. No idea how you would go about rescuing a ham though

Dunno about salty pieces of meat, but any time I've made a sauce that was too salty, I added equal parts vinegar and sugar to counteract it. No idea how you would go about rescuing a ham though

Thanks for that... Ya I think I am clutching at straws to be honest... Just don't like the idea of putting it in the bin but I might have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

stoutykid wrote: »
    Thanks for that... Ya I think I am clutching at straws to be honest... Just don't like the idea of putting it in the bin but I might have to.

Happened to me one christmas - I dumped all the "juice" out of the slow cooker and popped in two cans of coke and a potato (I'd read the potato thing about overly salty soups, sauces that have been made) and I can't say it was perfect, but it was certainly edible!

• Advertisement

(I'd read the potato thing about overly salty soups, sauces that have been made)

Thanks def going to try this...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Just prepared a chicken korma for my slow cooker tomorrow, fingers crossed it turns out well and I get a delicious dinner after work tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I had a similar experience with bread and a slow cooker. I think that the position of the heating element coupled with the low temperature is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Once i get the Anchiote paste for this i'm going to try this recipe in the slow cooker, looke delish:

http://amexicancook.ie/recipe/cochinita-pibil-bloggers-taco-fest

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

stoutykid wrote: »

As a last resort try soaking it now, cant hurt if your thoughts are binwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I did a couple of lamb shanks in the Slow cooker this weekend. They were a big hit. I just browned them in a frying pan, deglazed with red wine and added herbs and stock to the slowcooker. Also added some carrots and parsnips and let cook on low for 7 hours. Added some baby potatoes about an hour before serving and turned the heat up to high.

It was gorgeous!

Have some lovely gravy leftover and some lamb so i'm thinking i'll make some pies!

I have this cooking in my slow cooker http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-thai-peanut-pork/. It smells amazing.... I just hope it tastes as good as it smells...

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

All the years on boards and only found this last night! Read through most of the pages and went to bed starving!
    I am a big sc fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I was in Debenhams today (Mahon Pt., Cork) and they have Morphy Richards 6.5L slow cookers reduced to 30e..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

pugwall wrote: »
    2 cloves of garlic / a thumb-sized piece of fresh root ginger / ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper / 1 teaspoon garam masala / ½ teaspoon sea salt / 2 tablespoons groundnut oil / 1 tablespoon tomato purée / 2 fresh green chillies / 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut / 2 tablespoons ground almonds / a small bunch of fresh coriander
    Spices for toasting 2 teaspoons cumin seeds / 1 teaspoon coriander seeds

Whiz all the ingredients in a food processer. Bash the toasting spices in a mortar & pestle before adding them. Add a can of chopped tomatoes and a tin of cocant milk too. Then put the sliced chicken fillet pieces, an onion, 2 peppers, some mushrooms in the slow cooker. Cover with the above sauce and cook on low for 8 hours. Nicest Korma ever. You coud add cream too if you like but I think the above is fine. Actually, we're having it tonight :)

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/curry-recipes/easy-homemade-curry-pastes

I made this the other night and it was one of the most delicious curries I've ever had. It tasted more like a Tikka Masala than a Korma. I made it ahead at the weekend to cook mid week - here's what I did:
    1. Made the spice paste by whizzing the ingredients in my mini chopper.
    2. Sauteed onion, peppers and mushrooms until they were soft.
    3. Added the spice paste to the pan and sauteed until it smelt amazing.
    4. Let it cool in the fridge, then added diced chicken pieces and mixed it all together well.
    5. Put it in a freezer bag and popped it in the freezer.
    6. Took it out the night before I wanted to make it and let it defrost.
    7. The following morning, I put it in the slow cooker, added in the canned tomatoes and coconut milk, mixed it all together well and let it cook away for the day for about 9 hours.
    8. Arrived home to a lovely smelling kitchen and a delicious hot meal. :)

Advertisement