Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzards

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

closest i've seen one in ireland was driving on the road at the side of the runway in dublin airport, and one perched on the fence between us and the runway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Being from Roscommon, I'm very envious of the "Oh its just a Buzzard" attitude in the east and south! We do have Buzzards, and I'm sure the numbers are increasing, but still not that regular an occurence yet!

Give it time. :) They'll spread there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Being from Roscommon, I'm very envious of the "Oh its just a Buzzard" attitude in the east and south! We do have Buzzards, and I'm sure the numbers are increasing, but still not that regular an occurence yet!

They're coming ur way any day now, regularly seen around Longford , Cavan. Westmeath , in fact more regularly seen in these parts now than kestrel !

They're coming ur way any day now, regularly seen around Longford , Cavan. Westmeath , in fact more regularly seen in these parts now than kestrel !

I actually believe Buzzard numbers have an impact on Kestrels. Once Buzzards established in this area, and others I visit, the sightings of Kestrels dropped significantly. Over time there was some re-balance but the kestrels never returned to previous levels. Anybody notice similar?

I actually believe Buzzard numbers have an impact on Kestrels. Once Buzzards established in this area, and others I visit, the sightings of Kestrels dropped significantly. Over time there was some re-balance but the kestrels never returned to previous levels. Anybody notice similar?

I would agree with that view, raptor sightings around these parts (north Midlands) would be mainly Buzzard - given their size it's kinda hard to miss them as against the smaller less obvious kestrel. In looking over my recent birding lists, kestrels only feature occasionally whereas buzzards turn up almost every other outing !
    I would expect the Bird Atlas due out shortly will validate your theory Carlos Whining Bellboy !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I realise that there are numerous examples of larger raptor species reducing the numbers of smaller raptor species, and there being a balance that probably wasn't being struck in Ireland due to our lack of larger raptor species until recently, but to the best of my knowledge Kestrel numbers are considered to be on the decline anyway, due to rodenticide use and probably intensive agricultural practices too (Kestrels are considered a farmland bird, farmland birds are the group undergoing the most significant decline at present I think).

So correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation - but it certainly 'sounds' as if a link is plausable too. Does anyone have any references for Buzzards affecting numbers of falcon species? I know Goshawks/Eagle Owls/Golden Eagles etc have a limiting effect on smaller raptors, but they're all more 'aggressive' hunters than Buzzards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I've seen this mentioned before and my view is that it is a natural re-balancing of the raptor order in the country. Up till recently the likes of Kestrels and sparrowhawks had the sky's more or less to themselves across most of the country after the extinction of the majority of our larger raptors in the 19th centuary. The return of the buzzard marks the beginning of the re-establishment of the old order.

? I know Goshawks/Eagle Owls/Golden Eagles etc have a limiting effect on smaller raptors, but they're all more 'aggressive' hunters than Buzzards

I was reading an interesting article on a British Raptor blog about the return of Eagle Owls across Western Europe. Apparently their return has thinned out buzzard and Goshawk populations by up to 50% where their ranges overlap. Eagle owls are now breeding on the Cliffs of Calais in NW France so there getting closer;).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I was reading an interesting article on a British Raptor blog about the return of Eagle Owls across Western Europe. Apparently their return has thinned out buzzard and Goshawk populations by up to 50% where their ranges overlap. Eagle owls are now breeding on the Cliffs of Calais in NW France so there getting closer;).

Breeding in the UK too - though I think there are suspicions its at least partly to do with releases of captive birds!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I seen a pair of them about 3 year ago whilst I was out shooting near Knockcroghery. Soaring above my head at a serious height.
    I took a mate of mine out hunting and he was laughing at my "conversation" with a buzzard. The buzzard was circling above my head and doing the trademark call they do so I replied by doing same thing in a whistling fashion and for about 5 minutes myself and the buzzard chatting to each other. Was pretty funny and very strange that it called back to me everytime.

• Advertisement

Breeding in the UK too - though I think there are suspicions its at least partly to do with releases of captive birds!

Oh I'm aware of that - but its a matter of time that they come back under their own steam given the presence of a breeding pair so close to the cliffs of dover.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Definitely. Buzzards have replaced kestrels as the motorway raptor. Drive from Bray to Blanchardstown any given day and you will spot four buzzards at least and no kestrels. The N7 around Borris in Ossiry is what it was like. Many kestrels no buzzards. It will be interesting to watch how that changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mor600

There is at least 5 buzzards that fly above celbridge golf range,they are constantly calling out to each other,I'be been watching them for ten years but have never seen them drop from the sky to grab something,it's very hard to get close to them,their very cautious,so I got binoculars and that helps,but it's fantastic to see them in flight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Only two weeks ago I stood at my backdoor for a few minutes and watched an agitated group of corvids mob a pair of buzzards. I live in Roscommon town, though the back of my house faces the countryside. It's not the first time I've seen buzzards in the town in the last two years. They're definitely regulars in the area and I'm friendly with a couple who live in Kilteevan who have seen them there when out walking (they also got a real closeup of the White Tailed Sea Eagle that was out there for a while also).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I have seen one or buzzards here in Galway on the old dublin road between craughwell and oranmore. Although one of the sightings might have been an Hen harrier because it was at a distance away and quite close to the ground.
    What would be more likely to be seen flying low over stubble fields, a buzzard or hen harrier?

I have seen one or buzzards here in Galway on the old dublin road between craughwell and oranmore. Although one of the sightings might have been an Hen harrier because it was at a distance away and quite close to the ground.
    What would be more likely to be seen flying low over stubble fields, a buzzard or hen harrier?

Probably was a Buzzard. They fly low over stubble fields looking for frogs and worms. A Hen Harrier is more likely in an area of heathland. The harrier flies with wings held upright is a clear V formation while buzzards fly with wings held much flatter.
    That said, I'm not aware of too many buzzards as far west as galway but others many be able to expand on this.
    Hen Harriers are however regular winter visitors to an area north of Galway city.
    It will be interesting to hear of sightings from others here. What area of Galway did you see this bird in?

It sounds more like a buzzard from your description of the wings. They were fairly flat alright.
    I saw it in this field about ten days ago, just a couple of miles from oranmore.
    http://goo.gl/maps/QGwUd
    There was corn harvested there a month or so ago, so im sure there could be a good few things to eat in it.

It sounds more like a buzzard from your description of the wings. They were fairly flat alright.
    I saw it in this field about ten days ago, just a couple of miles from oranmore.
    http://goo.gl/maps/QGwUd
    There was corn harvested there a month or so ago, so im sure there could be a good few things to eat in it.

I travel that road fairly regularly, will keep an eye out for the buzzard , thanks for the posting!

Carefull folks about posting exact locations for these birds given ongoing illegal persecution problems in parts of the country. PM such info if you are sure of the person concerned

Carefull folks about posting exact locations for these birds given ongoing illegal persecution problems in parts of the country. PM such info if you are sure of the person concerned

Was just about to say the same thing.

• Advertisement

I used to see alot of them near Dublin so I never thought that they could be at risk. Well hopefully they establish themselves here. There are plenty of rabbits and crows around for them to feed on. Plenty of food in general.

I used to see alot of them near Dublin so I never thought that they could be at risk. Well hopefully they establish themselves here. There are plenty of rabbits and crows around for them to feed on. Plenty of food in general.

Its often in the more remote rural spots were such birds are at most risk since potential wildlife criminals feel more secure from prying eyes.

But it also puts them in direct competition with rabbit hunters and pheasants aswell so that could lead to them being persecuted

But it also puts them in direct competition with rabbit hunters and pheasants aswell so that could lead to them being persecuted

It is indeed unfortunate that a minority of such people still view buzzards as a threat despite the mountain of evidence to suggest otherwise. Dublin airport is a case in point. Absolute masses of rabbits all around that part of North County Dublin and plenty of pheasants too in and around the rougher grassland areas. And all this along one of the highest buzzard densities in the country!!

Actually the only thing that signficantly reduces rabbit populations(even foxes won't have a signficant affect on a healthy population) is myxomatosis which unfortunatly still infects and wipeouts populations from time to time.

Its often in the more remote rural spots were such birds are at most risk since potential wildlife criminals feel more secure from prying eyes.

Have heard anecdotally of recent bragging of having shot a buzzard ! Unfortunately wasn't able to confirm, so not much point in letting the local Ranger or Gardaí know. Made me think about where I post sightings of any birds of prey, if at all, from here onwards !

Have heard anecdotally of recent bragging of having shot a buzzard ! Unfortunately wasn't able to confirm, so not much point in letting the local Ranger or Gardaí know. Made me think about where I post sightings of any birds of prey, if at all, from here onwards !

No harm in noting any usefull details when you hear such things. Especially if it refers to a particular area or individual. The NPWS have recently estaiblished a database of persecution incidents in conjunction with the Golden Eagle Trust and other concerned [EMAIL="NGO@s"]NGOs[/EMAIL] with a view to indentifying "problem areas" with regards to this type of wildlife crime. The aim is to assist in channeling availible resources to monitor and tackle potential illegal acts.

I agree with Birdnuts above. Worth mentioning to the local ranger, or if you know any gardai that might have an interest in wildlife. They obviously won't get a prosecution this time, but they'll know to keep an eye out in that area, and it'll help build a picture of persecution in your part of the country.

I can't honestly believe a need for secrecy about the location of a buzzard sighting. They are more or less anywhere now. Nobody has to go searching for them anymore. It's now no different than sighting a sparrowhawk. Yes, they have been shot and poisoned but anybody inclined to deliberately do so is well aware of where they are. Had it been a more rare raptoy I would certainly agree.
    I also agree that any suspected shooting or poisoning of a buzzard should be immediately reported - as with any illegal killing of a bird or mammal.
    I understand the reticence to give a location but with Buzzards I personally willwill now give a location as readily as I would for whooper swans or brent geese if someone had a query or wished to see one. And this is coming from someone who a number of years back guarded nesting buzzard locations with my life and spent long days and nights watching over such sites. Just my tuppence worth.

I can't honestly believe a need for secrecy about the location of a buzzard sighting. They are more or less anywhere now..

That may be valid for the East and parts of the South but they are still absent or very rare West of the Shannon so caution in such areas is no harm until they get fully estaiblished.

PS: I assume we can all agree though that giving the exact location of raptor breeding and roosting sites is a big no no!!

• Advertisement

I agree with Birdnuts above. Worth mentioning to the local ranger, or if you know any gardai that might have an interest in wildlife. They obviously won't get a prosecution this time, but they'll know to keep an eye out in that area, and it'll help build a picture of persecution in your part of the country.

The local ranger was informed in this case

Advertisement