Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCC want to *expand* the 30km/h limits

Options
  • 09-11-2013 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Despite removing some of the area covered by this limit, they now want to extend the areas to which it applies to all residential streets. I hope this daft proposal doesn't see the light of day. It would be good to have it around schools and some areas of high pedestrian density (where it is now) but having it the default for all residential areas is daft, IMHO.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-s-30km-h-limit-fails-to-reduce-traffic-speed-1.1589133

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Yakuza wrote: »
    Despite removing some of the area covered by this limit, they now want to extend the areas to which it applies to all residential streets. I hope this daft proposal doesn't see the light of day. It would be good to have it around schools and some areas of high pedestrian density (where it is now) but having it the default for all residential areas is daft, IMHO.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-s-30km-h-limit-fails-to-reduce-traffic-speed-1.1589133
    oh i'd say it will, DCC count things as a success when the rest of us know its a failure, wonder is their plan to eventually drive all cars out of the city? wouldn't put it past them

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Isn't it pointless to extend the 30km/h limit when it hasn't reduced traffic speeds in the city centre areas where it's supposed to be in force?
    The lower limit had been introduced in the interests of road safety and to make the city centre more attractive for pedestrians and cyclists.

However, senior executive engineer with the council Niall Gormley said recent speed measurements showed the 30km/h limit “has not brought about any reduction in traffic speeds”.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

who will enforce it another bylaw joke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I thought it was daft to have a 30 limit on the quays, and not have it in residential areas.
    There was a sign outside the long stone where the limit went up to50 as the street narrowed and you have pedestrians and cyclists mixed in with heavy traffic

It seems daft that engine alley or John Dillon street; or Fitzroy avenue or lienster, Munster& ster streets have a 50 limit

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

Yakuza wrote: »

I live in a residental area where all the local streets have 30 km/h limits and it's not daft, it's bloody wonderful. When you pop down to the shops and run into a neighbour, you don't have to raise your voice and shout above the traffic to chat to them. The old people who live here feel safe and can move around the neighbourhood confidently. Drivers don't ignore zebra crossings because they're going too fast to stop at them anyway - they stop even at the ones on blind corners where they can't actually see whether there's a pedestrian crossing until they have already stopped to look. Children are free-range and healthy. Cyclists don't cycle on the pavement or in the "door zone" because they're terrified of being read-ended by speeding cars. People come first and cars second - even though this is a hilly neighbourhood a few miles out of town where very few families can imagine life without having a car.

If kids are to make their way to and from school and their after-school activities under their own steam or at least without adult supervision (walking or by bike or by some combination of walking or cycling and public transport) they need safe, livable streets for the entire door-to-door journey, not just right around their schools. Liveable streets are worth it, in economic and human terms. Ferrying kids everywhere deprives children of the experience of learning to be independent and of the fun they can have making their own way around with their friends. It can make them helpless, dependent, fat and unhealthy. It's also a massive waste of time and source of stress for the adults involved; they could be having fun or doing something economically productive or cooking healthy dinners for their children instead. It should be possible for six-year olds to make simple journeys by themselves once they know their usual routes and have been shown the points where they need to be especially careful. Other countries manage this; we seem to be missing a few ingredients. Among them: 30 limits that extend well beyond the immediate environs of schools, where they only benefit children arriving by Mammy taxi or Daddy taxi. Even children arriving by bus need 30 limits in residential areas, since otherwise they can't get to the bus stop safely!

It's not just about 30 limits, however; we need to do other things to ensure drivers take responsibility for their part in creating an environment that works for people from six to eighty-six using different forms of transport - private and public, motorized and unmotorized. I was out and about in my residential neighbourhood recently with my three-year old niece. We were on the footpaths, I was walking and she was on her balance bike. All the streets had 30 limits, but many drivers slowed to 15 km/h or less as they passed us - we weren't using the road, but they could imagine the child losing her balance and falling from the footpath into the road, and they didn't want to rely entirely on me being able to catch her in time even though they could see she had adult supervision. So they gave us space on these roads we weren't using, just in case we ended up using them by accident. They did so partly because they are nice people and good neighbours, but also because German road traffic law states firmly that drivers have to keep an eye out for children and elderly people and be ready to anticipate any unpredictable movements they might make. This seems to work; drivers don't see a 30 limit as an entitlement to do 30. Driving at 30 makes it possible for drivers to detect situations in which they should slow down further. If they have an elderly cyclist or a kid wobbling uphill in front of them, they will drive at much slower speeds until it's safe to overtake. Sometimes they have to wait for while; these residential streets are choc-a-bloc with parked cars, so overtaking is difficult and people just have to patient. Other cars are, as usual, the main barrier to making progress in a car.

Expecting drivers to slow down for the first mile or two and the last mile or two of a long journey is not anti-motorist. It's true that I'm asking drivers to sacrifice a few seconds at either end of their journeys for the sake of a big quality-of-life bonus for non-motorists, but drivers will end up getting that time back (and more) if our roads environment becomes more suitable for active travel:

1) Congestion reduces as the total number of car journeys decreases. Where space for increasing car capacity is limited, the most rational way to reduce delays to drivers is to facilitate journeys made by less space-hungry modes.

2) Individual drivers spend less time in their cars ferrying children or elderly relatives around if more people can travel independently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,325 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bambergbike, awesome post.

Islington Borough in London found that while they changed the speed limit they control to 20 mph (32 km/h), the found that an awful lot of casualties are on roads that Transport for London controls - these retain a 30 mph (48 km/h) speed limit.

279648.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭SeanW

I live in a residental area where all the local streets have 30 km/h limits and it's not daft, it's bloody wonderful.
    I lived in Dublin and Cork cities for a while (both times outside the respective 30kph zones that came in while I was there) and though I used both car, bus and foot modes of trave extensively, I can say that I would have found the 30kph zones to be on the whole to have a negative impact on my life there if they had been expanded beyond their existing remits, especially in Dublin where the 30kph zone is bounded by key motoring routes that can and should be used in preference to O'Connell Street etc.

Dorset St. in particular (being 50kph, the boundary of the zone), I used very fequently as both a pedestrian and a motorist. And in its current state it works very well for both:
    1) As a pedestrian, the footpaths were wide, the traffic lights gave green men at good timings, as non-pedestrianised streets go I rather liked it, certainly in preference to some of frankly pedestrian hostile streets I have to use now to get to work, on the South side of the CC.
    2) As a motorist, I found the ability to legally travel at a speed appropriate to the settings to be welcome, and made good time when I travelled it by car, normally in the off-peak, night times etc.
    Victor wrote: »
    bambergbike, awesome post.

Islington Borough in London found that while they changed the speed limit they control to 20 mph (32 km/h), the found that an awful lot of casualties are on roads that Transport for London controls - these retain a 30 mph (48 km/h) speed limit.
    Are you suggesting that this is because of their reduced speed limits?

Might it not have something to do with the 30MPH streets are main arterial traffic routes whereas the other streets are likely to be regarded by motorists etc as side streets?

279648.JPG

I'm always really cautious about interpretations of casualty figures - although those ones certainly seem to make sense - because the most dangerous roads can have a perfectly clean slate not because they are safe, but because people know they are dangerous and keep their children locked up well away from them. Casualty figures are worth looking at, of course, but only in tandem with other "quality of life" or "level of service" indicators.

SeanW wrote: »
    As a motorist, I found the ability to legally travel at a speed appropriate to the settings to be welcome, and made good time when I travelled it by car, normally in the off-peak, night times etc.

I won't deny that speed limits are a crude and blunt instrument to some extent. If all drivers always drove with due consideration towards other road users in general (and vulnerable road users in particular), we could get rid of a lot of formal rules (including speed limits) and replace them with one simple message: road users must always be attentive and considerate. If more people used their judgement and their common sense more, they could be given more scope to do so. In principle, I would like people to be encouraged to use their judgement rather than being bombarded with hundreds of separate instructions. We have some roads with such huge signs warning drivers of upcoming bends that the bends are frequently hidden behind the signs; those grate with me because I would like to think that drivers incapable of recognizing a bend clearly marked with plenty of reflectors shouldn't be on the roads at all. At the moment, however, I think there is still scope for using additional restrictive rules like 30 speed limits as a means of redressing the current power imbalance between people driving powerful, heavy vehicles and people who are "naked" in traffic, unprotected by an exoskeleton and often also afforded pathetically inadequate protection by our road traffic engineers, our justice system and the education and instruction we provide to road users. If we progress to the point where "might is right" is replaced by vision zero and a mutual respect agenda, we can then talk about restoring powers of discretion to drivers.

In the meantime, I'm not going to get into the specifics of Dorset Street, although it would be interesting if you could quantify the time saving made under the higher limit. How much time did you save anually by making good time? I think I can remember reading that cost-benefit analysis tends to show that the costs of road accidents cancel out the minutes shaved off journeys here and there by drivers travelling at speeds that make collisions more likely, but I haven't got a reference for that handy and it didn't specifically refer to Dorset Street anyway - maybe Dorset Street is different.

I will, though, respond to your general point about it being safe to speed up a bit at quiet, off-peak times. I strolled down to my local supermarket to pick up a few things for dinner a few days ago. It's on a street where the limit was changed to 30 and then changed back to 50 after a gentleman took and won a court case to protest that he ought to be able to drive to work in a timely fashion on what is a major traffic artery as well as the main shopping street in the village/suburb. He won. It was just before eight in the evening, so not the dead of night, but certainly an off-peak time with no commuter traffic. In the space of a few minutes, I counted lots of pavement cyclists. They all had decent lights, so it wasn't that they felt safer on the pavement because they were invisible. And they weren't using the pavement to take a shortcut by riding against traffic instead of crossing the road to ride on the correct side; they already on the correct side. So the only obvious reason for them choosing to use the pavement was that they didn't feel safe in the road because of the speed of the traffic.

They basically had 3 choices:

Option 1: ride in a stream of fast traffic on a dark, wet night (scary, high subjective risk of being rear-ended, the cyclist as mobile traffic calming device)
    Option 2: ride in the door zone (scary, high objective risk of being doored and thrown into the main traffic stream)
    Option 3: ride on the pavement (not scary, somewhat unsafe, and illegal).

Now, I hate pavement riding - I would have taken Option 1 if I had been cycling, and I know the cars would have slowed to match my speed - but I could really see where the cyclists were coming from. It's not fun being a mobile human traffic calming device doing 30 in a 50 zone where parked cars and heavy traffic in both directions mean that drivers can't overtake and stay behind cyclists long enough get quite frustrated. Riding in the door zone instead of in the main traffic stream can feel a bit safer, but one cyclist has already been killed on this street doing that since the limit was changed back to 50; these cyclists seemed to be aware of the danger. In a way, I was happier to be personally inconvenienced by cyclists using the pavement than to see cyclists risking their lives in the door zone for the sake of keeping motor traffic moving.

Are you suggesting that this is because of their reduced speed limits?

Might it not have something to do with the 30MPH streets are main arterial traffic routes whereas the other streets are likely to be regarded by motorists etc as side streets?

The problem is that leaving the main streets at 30 mph fails to deal with many collisions / casualties. Those streets are the ones with the most users, most traffic and most casualties and the point has to be made that they should be included in the lower speed limits and have work done to passively enforce those limits.

The problem is that leaving the main streets at 30 mph fails to deal with many collisions / casualties. Those streets are the ones with the most users, most traffic and most casualties and the point has to be made that they should be included in the lower speed limits and have work done to passively enforce those limits.
    I disagree, the streets in your post are arterial, main routes, so naturally they would have a greater number of cars, ergo, more accidents because of the fact that there's more traffic. It's the arterial vs. local nature of the streets, I expect that lead to that difference more so than the 20MPH speed limit.

As to the matter of main streets being included in 30kph limits, again I disagree: the whole point of any kind of well thought out policy is that it is fair to all. So while 30kph limits are a good ideas for secondary or central streets, a sensible compromise allows motorist to minimise their exposure to them for all but the shortest, start/end of journey uses. The current 30kph regimes in Dublin and Cork do this, blind expansions would not.

• Advertisement

Expecting drivers to slow down for the first mile or two and the last mile or two of a long journey is not anti-motorist. It's true that I'm asking drivers to sacrifice a few seconds at either end of their journeys for the sake of a big quality-of-life bonus for non-motorists
    It's a bit more than "a mile or two" and WAAAAAAAAAAY more than a few seconds.
    In the meantime, I'm not going to get into the specifics of Dorset Street, although it would be interesting if you could quantify the time saving made under the higher limit. How much time did you save anually by making good time? I think I can remember reading that cost-benefit analysis tends to show that the costs of road accidents cancel out the minutes shaved off journeys here and there by drivers travelling at speeds that make collisions more likely, but I haven't got a reference for that handy and it didn't specifically refer to Dorset Street anyway - maybe Dorset Street is different.
    Whatever way I used it, it always worked very well, as a pedestrian, I never felt threatened by the 50kph traffic, the crossing facilities were excellent for the most part, the buses had bus lanes, (there are cycle lanes as well).

As to the time saved doing 50kph vs 30kph you're probably taking minutes, but far more valuable than that was the lack of frustration from having to hold back for artificial speed limts that IMO prevade other roads in the city, basically everything on what used to be the N4 (and still is in parts) from Heuston to the start of the M4 and routes like the Santry by-pass.
    I will, though, respond to your general point about it being safe to speed up a bit at quiet, off-peak times. I strolled down to my local supermarket to pick up a few things for dinner a few days ago. It's on a street where the limit was changed to 30 and then changed back to 50 after a gentleman took and won a court case to protest that he ought to be able to drive to work in a timely fashion on what is a major traffic artery as well as the main shopping street in the village/suburb. He won. It was just before eight in the evening, so not the dead of night, but certainly an off-peak time with no commuter traffic. In the space of a few minutes, I counted lots of pavement cyclists. They all had decent lights, so it wasn't that they felt safer on the pavement because they were invisible. And they weren't using the pavement to take a shortcut by riding against traffic instead of crossing the road to ride on the correct side; they already on the correct side. So the only obvious reason for them choosing to use the pavement was that they didn't feel safe in the road because of the speed of the traffic.
    Don't recall seeing many cyclists, remember there are bus lanes and cycle lanes over junctions, but I didn't drive in such a manner as to cause problems for anyone, I don't think.

This brings us back to the quays in Dublin, I think. Of course they don't look like quiet neighbourhood streets where traffic calming could easily and cheaply be implemented to provide pedestrians and cyclists with a very high level of service. The need to re-engineer them to provide an adequate level of service to pedestrians and cyclists arises precisely because they are busy streets used by thousands of people.

As to the matter of main streets being included in 30kph limits, again I disagree: the whole point of any kind of well thought out policy is that it is fair to all. So while 30kph limits are a good ideas for secondary or central streets, a sensible compromise allows motorist to minimise their exposure to them for all but the shortest, start/end of journey uses. The current 30kph regimes in Dublin and Cork do this, blind expansions would not.

I am familiar with a number of cities that have about 30 limits covering about 70% of streets; that generally does seem to cover the start/end points of journeys and a central area and not much else. I can understand your general objection to anything - however sensible - being applied blindly. So what I would suggest is making all urban streets 30 in principle and then very carefully and systematically sifting out the exceptions where good reasons for higher or lower limits can be demonstrated. The bottom line is that it should be objectively and subjectively safe and pleasant to make direct, efficient journeys using sustainable modes. Unsustainable modes should be facilitated wherever it is possible to do so without compromising the safety and comfort of sustainable transport users unduly. Of course nobody wants to be delayed, "unfairly" or otherwise, but cyclists and pedestrians are often concerned about arriving at their destinations alive; we need to address these concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Why do this when its not obeyed when its on the drag strip called the south quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

robertxxx wrote: »
    Why do this when its not obeyed when its on the drag strip called the south quays.

People not abiding by laws is not a good reason for not having them.

robertxxx wrote: »

Maybe we are doing the right things in the wrong order; if drivers had first learned about the benefits of "livable streets" in the sort of residential context where the principle is obvious to the point of being almost self-explanatory, it might have been easier to then "export" the idea to a more frantic, frazzled city-centre environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Was thinking about this today. I was cycling on the Quays and I can safely say that I was the only person traveling below 30kph.

would welcome the limit on many residential streets but what is the point if there is to be no enforcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Enforcement through design. It should be more of a long term project to turn residential streets into slow streets through redesign.

Aard wrote: »
    Enforcement through design. It should be more of a long term project to turn residential streets into slow streets through redesign.

So long as that doesn't involve putting speed bumps on ever street and road I'm ok with it.

Valentine1 wrote: »
    So long as that doesn't involve putting speed bumps on ever street and road I'm ok with it.

Yes. In theory, self-enforcing streets are a great idea, but we also need to promote a minimum of driving skill. Speed bumps are useless if people accelerate up to each one (overtaking slower road users to do so) and then slam the brakes on just as they reach an obstacle. I've also seen people swerving around them instead of going over them in Sligo.

I cycled up Cemetery Road in Sligo just after the speed bumps had been put in. A motorist overtook me at the bottom of the hill and then came almost completely to a halt right in front of me to crawl over a speed bump. He got over it eventually and set off again just before I would have had to put a foot down and then do a hill start to get going again. The same thing happened at the next one. In congested traffic I'm used to being overtaken by motorists who block my path seconds later when they get stuck, but it was new to me that I can get stuck behind a motorist on a completely clear stretch of road as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

"The council lowered speed limits for most of the shopping and central business area of the city from 50km/h to 30km/h in 2006.
    In January 2010 it extended the zone from Bolton Street on the north side to St Stephen’s Green on the south side, and from Church Street in the west to Gardiner Street and Dawson Street to the east.
    O’Connell Street, Dame Street and the north and south quays, previously excluded from the zone, were also brought under the new limit "

I read the above in Saturday's Irish Times. This extension was news to me. As one of the relatively few people who take speed limits seriously, or try to, I had not seen any signage to indicate this extension and was not aware that the slow-drive areas had been extended.
    Would it have been too much to expect Dublin City Council to erect speed limit signs when (rightly or wrongly) they decide to change speed limits from the default 50kpm to 30kpm or extend this to new areas?
    Writing on the road itself is not necessarily enough as such markings are obscured by other cars.
    In view of this, it is hardly surprising to me that DCC have found that average vehicle speeds have not decreased.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Any information available on method used by Dublin City Council to measure average speeds for the purposes of the present study?

Locations? Number of vehicles counted? Duration of survey(s)? Time of day etc?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Ernest wrote: »

"The council lowered speed limits for most of the shopping and central business area of the city from 50km/h to 30km/h in 2006.
    In January 2010 it extended the zone from Bolton Street on the north side to St Stephen’s Green on the south side, and from Church Street in the west to Gardiner Street and Dawson Street to the east.
    O’Connell Street, Dame Street and the north and south quays, previously excluded from the zone, were also brought under the new limit "

I read the above in Saturday's Irish Times. This extension was news to me. As one of the relatively few people who take speed limits seriously, or try to, I had not seen any signage to indicate this extension and was not aware that the slow-drive areas had been extended.
    Would it have been too much to expect Dublin City Council to erect speed limit signs when (rightly or wrongly) they decide to change speed limits from the default 50kpm to 30kpm or extend this to new areas?
    Writing on the road itself is not necessarily enough as such markings are obscured by other cars.
    In view of this, it is hardly surprising to me that DCC have found that average vehicle speeds have not decreased.

The zone is fully marked with speed limit signs... Or you can say where these are missing?

Large zone signs and more entry treatments might have been a good idea, but the normal signs seem to be all in place.

monument wrote: »
    The zone is fully marked with speed limit signs... Or you can say where these are missing?

Large zone signs and more entry treatments might have been a good idea, but the normal signs seem to be all in place.

the only places I have ever seen them is on the Quays where they seem to be painted on the road surface only.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You people mustn't be looking very hard.

There are very clear 30kph signs in place.

lxflyer wrote: »
    You people mustn't be looking very hard.

There are very clear 30kph signs in place.

So clear that I miss them every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

So clear that I miss them every day?

So clear that I see them every day.

Look at either side of the road turning off O'Connell Bridge onto Aston Quay for example.

They were and are in place at each point where the zone starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

thats most likely what they will do, any excuse for the anti motorist/pro cycling extremists to make things difficult with no good alternatives, if they really wanted cars out of the main tourist and shopping areas of the city they could build multi-story car parks on the outskirts with specialised busses going around these areas designed with trollys and shopping in mind, not going to happen though

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

While there's more accidents on the main roads (big surprise) the fatalities are well spread out, there's not even a correlation between higher speed limits and fatalities on those maps.

While there's more accidents on the main roads (big surprise) the fatalities are well spread out, there's not even a correlation between higher speed limits and fatalities on those maps.
    4 of the 9 fatalities are on TFL roads, another 3 are on borought principal roads and the last two are adajent to main roads. The vast majority of the serious injuries are also on these roads. how can you say there is no correlation?

The message is clear - main roads need safety improvements.

• Advertisement

4 of the 9 fatalities are on TFL roads, another 3 are on borought principal roads and the last two are adajent to main roads. The vast majority of the serious injuries are also on these roads. how can you say there is no correlation?

The message is clear - main roads need safety improvements.

What the traffic numbers like? Would it not always be the case that main roads with greater traffic numbers, and likely more heavy vehicles, are going to be the most dangerous?

Advertisement