Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eVision (IPTV service from Eircom) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

And in eVision's T&C's "RTE Two HD is available free of charge to all customers able to receive HD channels" just like UPC and Sky

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

But Fox HD isn't on UPC

Fox HD isn't listed on the evision package either, only Fox channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Paulw wrote: »
    Fox HD isn't listed on the evision package either, only Fox channel.

It's in the HD Add on Pack
    https://www.eircom.net/tv/channels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

There is a video of the service on silicon republic. The EPG seems miles better then Horizon. They rely on a side bar to browse other channels and view now/next. From what I've seen it looks very well thought out. Can't wait to get more information on their UI implementation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

For anyone with free to air satellite/saorview it's a very poor offering and a step backwards if you want HD. (No ITV HD and no Channel 4 HD)

However, if I were able to just get the BT/Setanta package on it's own for the 16 euro I'd be tempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭batistuta9

However, if I were able to just get the BT/Setanta package on it's own for the 16 euro I'd be tempted.

i was think that as well but it looks like you'd be missing setanta ireland & the BT HD channels too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

No ITV? UTV? Selection of channels is good otherwise. Hopefully the eFibre will keep up with it, e.g. no buffering or such.

Also, I noticed the boxes connect to the eFibre box via Ethernet cable, will the engineers run Ethernet cables throughout houses to each box? What if all your Ethernet ports are used on the eFibre box?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

apart from the lack of sky channels(which obviously sky held back out of pure commercial reasons and probably acted like a bully) its not bad. Sky cant compete with in and if it forces Sky to drop the price of multi room and HD that cant be bad. It now leaves Sky as almost 3 times as expensive as UPC and Eircom for multiroom and HD...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

For anyone with free to air satellite/saorview it's a very poor offering and a step backwards if you want HD. (No ITV HD and no Channel 4 HD)

You can get BT/Setanta as standalone on satellite,all you need is a Skybox (get a HD box) which are cheap on Adverts and a card,Setanta will send you one free.Once you get the card,pop it in the HD box & it'll give you the UK epg,ring Setanta with the card number,DD details etc. and you're up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The website heralds 30+ channels on the basic service but only 28 are listed.

The offering is poor when you consider that many of the channels are available fta and not having UTV (and ITV2/3/4) is a major disadvantage.

It does have Watch,Eden & Yesterday compared to UPC but that does not make up for the overall shortfalls.

Nevertheless competition can only be good for the consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

sky go monthly ticket is better value

I got it last saturday for the heineken cup rugby

I got the sky entertainment, movies and sports for only €55 and you are not tied to a 12 months contract

It will be knocked off by me on the 12/11/13 as I am in control, not sky

then on the 7/12/13 I will get it back again for heineken cup rugby and take in the same for this month

mostly only watch live sport
    then watch the rest of the content on demand legally

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I am an Eircom Broadband customer and I've noticed over the last few weeks that the BBC iPlayer is working perfectly; is this related to this announcement in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Lack of music channels aswell

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

No recording on the multiroom box unlike UPC and sky
    eVision multiroom boxes are compact in size and can do everything your eVision+ box can except for record/pause/rewind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I'm sorry but I don't get who this will appeal to.

No Sky channels? No UTV? So I think it's very disingenuous for them to compare their 'basic pack' with Sky or UPC.

And why can you only get Sky Sports 1 and 2?

No on demand or TV players? The user interface looks nice and all that but content is king.

But my main concern would be the ability of eircom's lines to handle HD TV and heavy internet traffic. If I'm streaming video on the computer and the missus is watching Eastenders in glorious HD on the TV, will it all come crashing down?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

I live in a block of flats where we have a choice of UPC or SFA.
    Will an individual flat owner be able to opt for the Eircom bundle whilst neighbours remain with UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

I don't know who in their right mind would want this product.....I have seen and used this type of offering over in the UK.....and it is indeed terrible. If you are truly broke or don't have another option...well that's the only reason to go for a product like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 offmeheadpal

No ITV? UTV? Selection of channels is good otherwise. Hopefully the eFibre will keep up with it, e.g. no buffering or such.

Also, I noticed the boxes connect to the eFibre box via Ethernet cable, will the engineers run Ethernet cables throughout houses to each box? What if all your Ethernet ports are used on the eFibre box?

they give out free homeplugs.. I heard. so you only need to have 1 free port on the eFibre box. also the red WAN port can be turned into a 5th Ethernet port so most people should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

zerks wrote: »
    You can get BT/Setanta as standalone on satellite,all you need is a Skybox (get a HD box) which are cheap on Adverts and a card,Setanta will send you one free.Once you get the card,pop it in the HD box & it'll give you the UK epg,ring Setanta with the card number,DD details etc. and you're up and running.

Yes I know, but previous hassles with setanta have made me wary. If my phone line is with eircom and their billing is straight forward it makes things easier. However, I doubt if they'll have the sense to offer a stand alone sports package. They'll want me to pay the extra 10 euro a month for stations I either don't want, or already have.

The only people that would want this product it seems are those that can't put up a dish and aren't in a cabled area, plus have efibre, oh and don't mind not having Sky 1 or UTV/ITV....That's a fairly small market to be aiming at.

Outside of RTE, BBC and Channel 4 stations, they seem to have picked the stations that people generally don't watch or on the other hand the stations that are fantastic for 4 or 5 months and then you never watch again because the same shows are shown over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In fairness the GUI looks much better than Horizon

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    In fairness the GUI looks much better than Horizon
    Horizon will be 1st class with several software updates in the pipeline. Also, the capabilities of the horizon box blow this system out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

zerks wrote: »

thats what i did and having being with them a minimum of two months i now pay just €12.99 a month for the setanta pack including HD. That combined with a combo box for the rest of the Irl uk channels and you are sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭zg3409

Mearings wrote: »
    Will an individual flat owner be able to opt for the Eircom bundle whilst neighbours remain with UPC?

The Eircom TV system comes in via a phone line. However you must be in an area where eFibre is available.

If you currently have a phone line you can check availability here:
    https://secure.eircom.net/fibre/

The eFibre brodband is quite expensive to start with ,and that is needed before the TV is an option. For TV you probably/possibly need the unliited package meaning 50 Euro + 10 Euro = 60 Euro per month. Also beware of comparing like with like. Make sure any shows you watch are on channels that will remain if you switch. Multiroom boxes my also be needed if you have more than one TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

so to sum up its probably not worth bothering about. I smiled at the article where they say a quarter of their efibre subscribers will take the tv service by end of next year. thats optimistic. I cant see anyone leaving Sky for this but I can see sky offering a value pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Mearings wrote: »

If you can get efibre, yeah. All it needs is your phone line.
    SFA's not too bad either ... It comes with an option for Netflix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭ted1

barrackali wrote: »
    Horizon will be 1st class with several software updates in the pipeline. Also, the capabilities of the horizon box blow this system out of the water.

it may be, but at the moment the Eircom GUI looks much better and also has potential to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Is that Ericsson MediaRoom? It looks a bit familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

ONE Point that seems to have escaped you all....

18 MONTH CONTRACT!!!!!

70 HD CHANNELS ON SKY vs 20 UPC vs 10 on eVision

1/7 the HD channels for 1/3 the price...

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

If I was an Eircom Broadband customer I would seriously consider this. I find our family watching less and less TV, with Netflix pretty much taking over in our house and the base terrestrial channels + BBC covering the rest.

UTV would be missed but if I was paying 1/3 of the price I'm not sure that I would care. I don't really mind that I would be going from 70+ channels or 100+ or whatever I have at present, as I never watch 95% of them anyway.

Also 18 month contract - who cares. I have barely changed my TV contract more than once in 18 years never mind 18 months. Many will be similar.

Just my 2c

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    it may be, but at the moment the Eircom GUI looks much better and also has potential to improve.

But the scope for improvement in the eircom box is limited.... and due to their network capacity they will never be able to offer anything near what Horizon can.

Advertisement