Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler not firing

Options
  • 13-10-2013 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

My brother is my plumber, but he's away on hols and I don't want bothering him.

He replaced a crap boiler and pump earlier this year with a new Riello G38. I only got oil the other day and bled the oil to the boiler, but the boiler doesn't fire when the timer starts and I need to press the red button each time to kick start it from cold. It fires first time and runs fine until next time, it also starts fine from the timer when hot. Thermostat is the only thing not replaced, but seems fine, turning down the temp on it stops the boiler and it fires again when I turn it back up. Anyone point me in the right direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

smee again wrote: »
    My brother is my plumber, but he's away on hols and I don't want bothering him.

He replaced a crap boiler and pump earlier this year with a new Riello G38. I only got oil the other day and bled the oil to the boiler, but the boiler doesn't fire when the timer starts and I need to press the red button each time to kick steart it from cold. It fires first time and runs fine until next time, it also starts fine from the timer when hot. Thermostat is the only thing not replaced, but seems fine, turning down the temp on it stops the boiler and it fires again when I turn it back up. Anyone point me in the right direction.

What way is your oil tank is it lower than your boiler?Do you have a tiger loop fitted?Is there one or two flexi oil lines going into the burner? Have you checked the oil filter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Robbie.G wrote: »
    What way is your oil tank is it lower than your boiler?Do you have a tiger loop fitted?Is there one or two flexi oil lines going into the burner? Have you checked the oil filter

The tank is higher than the boiler, but not by much, I've had problems bleeding it before after getting small amounts of oil. There's no tiger loop fitted, in fact the plumbing is a bit of a mess (cowboy builders, rented house). The flexible oil line loops up above the boiler. Wehn I say he fitted a new boiler, I mean I fitted the boiler myself under my brothers instructions, he fitted the pump another time but never got him round to sort out the plumbing of the oil line. You think that's the problem?

The tank is higher than the boiler, but not by much, I've had problems bleeding it before after getting small amounts of oil. There's no tiger loop fitted, in fact the plumbing is a bit of a mess (cowboy builders, rented house). The flexible oil line loops up above the boiler. Wehn I say he fitted a new boiler, I mean I fitted the boiler myself under my brothers instructions, he fitted the pump another time but never got him round to sort out the plumbing of the oil line. You think that's the problem?

I'm thinking fuel problem I could be wrong.Post a pic if you can of the boiler and burner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

The eye needs to be cleaned along with clean out boiler itself as possible moisture build up also.

275771.jpgyQ8POPZfx6

• Advertisement

The eye needs to be cleaned along with clean out boiler itself as possible moisture build up also.

Is this something i can do myself? I'm handy and have all tools, sockets, spanners etc.

Filter also could be dirty so check them and make well sure to isolate all electrics as I see water in the picture.

Not familiar with that boiler but usually one or two nuts holding the burner into boiler and take off and clean out the inside with dry cloths or kitchen towel and see how you get on.

As you let the fuel run out you would suffer air in the system along with dirt.

I am no plumber but use to be electrician and just worked on home boiler. I would not touch gas though as a lot more dangerous I believe.

Filter also could be dirty so check them and make well sure to isolate all electrics as I see water in the picture.

Not familiar with that boiler but usually one or two nuts holding the burner into boiler and take off and clean out the inside with dry cloths or kitchen towel and see how you get on.

I am no plumber but use to be electrician and just worked on home boiler. I would not touch gas though as a lot more dangerous I believe.

That's not water, that's the oil i bled on Friday that hasn't evaporated yet. It's fully sealed, bone dry otherwise.

That's not water, that's the oil i bled on Friday that hasn't evaporated yet. It's fully sealed, bone dry otherwise.

Get a bit of sand or dirt to help dry that up as a fire hazard.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Do you honestly think yourself a suitable or competent person to be advising the OP ?

• Advertisement

Do you honestly think yourself a suitable or competent person to be advising the OP ?

They asked for an opinion and said they are handy with things so whats your beef.

Have you anything constructive to say or are you trolling ?

They said there brother is a plumber so he can check over when back off holidays.

I am sorry op I should have been more pc and said oh you can't be doing that....

And an attitude to boot!! :rolleyes:

You didnt answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Alot more dangerous and also illegal

I'm out have a lovely Sunday night LADIES and gents not getting into a keyboard fight.

And an attitude to boot!! :rolleyes:

You didnt answer the question.

That would be a NO then. :rolleyes:

FFS, give an opinion on my boiler situation or else GTFO my thread

This fcukin place is ruined with high horse bridage trolls

@miller50841, I know you're not a plumber, but I'm grateful for your advise. Thanks
    Edit, also thanks to Robbie.G

That would be a NO then. :rolleyes:

I Think that was quite obvious by the advise he gave billy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

@miller50841, I know you're not a plumber, but I'm grateful for your advise. Thanks

I was going to post and try and help you out but on second thoughts after the above post I think I will just also adjourn to the high stool

Well now, i would of indeed assisted you with your issue now that the conflicting advice from wanna be engineers had been approuched but quite clearly the local taxi company would give you the advice your looking for.

You came to the Plumbing and Heating forum :mad:

Well now, i would of indeed assisted you with your issue now that the conflicting advice from wanna be engineers had been approuched but quite clearly the local taxi company would give you the advice your looking for.

You came to the Plumbing and Heating forum :mad:

What do you expect, You came here on your high horse and trolled my thread without giving any advise, not a word. I'm here to listen to all advise and will make my judgement on who's word to take based on the advise I get, not based on your opinion that I should not listen to someone else. This is a public forum, I expect advise from both experts and armchair enthusiasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

Tools;)

with this attitude I doubt very much any of the regular posters on here that would be willing to help will be in any hurry to hit the ould keypads

oh and yes you do need tools to try and fix your burner :D

What do you expect, You came here on your high horse and trolled my thread without giving any advise, not a word. I'm here to listen to all advise and will make my judgement on who's word to take based on the advise I get, not based on your opinion that I should not listen to someone else. This is a public forum, I expect advise from both experts and armchair enthusiasts.

You were being advised by a professional, you then had a self confessing wanna be pipe up with "advice" no professional would give, i simple attempted to protect you from that. :p

You were being advised by a professional, you then had a self confessing wanna be pipe up with "advice" no professional would give, i simple attempted to protect you from that. :p

Protect me? More like make yourself feel better by belittling someone. No need for it. They posted that they weren't an expert, I had already judged how usable their info was. That's what public threads are all about, it happens all the time in the tech forums. People give wrong advise and get corrected for it with better advise. Attack the post, not the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

275771.jpgyQ8POPZfx6

the g3b are lovely when there new.

was the burner calabrated to the old boiler?

most likely the air/fuel mixture insent set correctly for that combustion chamber, to much air.

fga is your next step, imo

esox28 wrote: »
    the g3b are lovely when there new.

was the burner calabrated to the old boiler?

most likely the air/fuel mixture insent set correctly for that combustion chamber, to much air.

fga is your next step, imo

Thanks for the advise. There was no calibrating, I just slotted the new burner in, wired it and fired it up, it worked great for the few weeks up until the warm weather, better than the POS new model Riello we replaced that gave no end of trouble. My brother is back mid week, might get him have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

is this a ger kross boiler ??

Protect me? More like make yourself feel better by belittling someone. No need for it. They posted that they weren't an expert, I had already judged how usable their info was. That's what public threads are all about, it happens all the time in the tech forums. People give wrong advise and get corrected for it with better advise. Attack the post, not the poster

Yes protect you. You see boilers are dangerous and if you start playing around with them with half assed advice and not listen to professionals then a thing called carbon monoxide may be produced.

Thanks for the advise. There was no calibrating, I just slotted the new burner in, wired it and fired it up, it worked great for the few weeks up until the warm weather, better than the POS new model Riello we replaced that gave no end of trouble. My brother is back mid week, might get him have a look.

It's impossible to setup a burner properly without a flue gas analyser.But it not been setup right is not the issue with the burner.
    When your brother is back get him to commission burner using FGA to make sure it's running at it best and that can only be done by FGA.
    As I previously suggested look at fuel and supply lines,filters etc

bucky08 wrote: »
    is this a ger kross boiler ??

I've no idea, I'll check tomorrow to see if there is a model name
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Yes protect you. You see boilers are dangerous and if you start playing around with them with half assed advice and not listen to professionals then a thing called carbon monoxide may be produced.

It's an outdoor boiler, no risk

• Advertisement

I've no idea, I'll check tomorrow to see if there is a model name

It's an outdoor boiler, no risk

Oh Jesus Christ

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement