Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awful Songs From the Past-80s,90s etc....

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

There was this Latin American type tune which was on the radio quite a bit at some point maybe around 1985/86 or even earlier.The lyrics went something like "Fujae fujae fujae mama,bat bala bonga fujae mama" it was madeningly catchy and I'd totaly forgotten about it until a few months back when I went I was collecting a pizza and it was playing in the takeaway.Ring any bells?
    Sounds like it could be this one.Fungi Mama by Tom Browne,it came out in 1981 and was on a compilation called Disco US.

http://youtu.be/2WU-LD8J67g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

"In Vietnam he was nineteen.
    I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-In Vietnam he was nineteen.
    Nineteen.
    N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-Nineteen."

"Girl you know it's true..huh..ooh ooh ooh I love you"
    (I'm not really singing that one,that's really someone else :-D:-D)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Seasan wrote: »
    "Girl you know it's true..huh..ooh ooh ooh I love you"
    (I'm not really singing that one,that's really someone else :-D:-D)
    The electronicy sample going g-g-g-g-girl used to sicken me.

As did that Charles & Eddie song "would I lie to you", a pair of ultra sleaze bags l used to cringe at the line "that's not the type of game I play" in it.

They didn't have a patch on Michael Bolton for the sleazefactor though.

19 wasn't too bad, sick of it from being overplayed though.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

darkdubh wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be this one.Fungi Mama by Tom Browne,it came out in 1981 and was on a compilation called Disco US.

http://youtu.be/2WU-LD8J67g
    Yes!Thats it.It's longer ago than I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

"In Vietnam he was nineteen.
    I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-In Vietnam he was nineteen.
    Nineteen.
    N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-Nineteen."

I remember Nighthawks did a micky take of that....
    N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-Nineteen Sixteen Feat. DJ Dev.

• Advertisement

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Spagna.

Call Me is on Hits 7.

The associated album Dedicated To The Moon isn't bad.
    Thats her.I thought she was a dead ringer for David Bowie as he looked in the movie Labyrinth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

There was this Latin American type tune which was on the radio quite a bit at some point maybe around 1985/86 or even earlier.The lyrics went something like "Fujae fujae fujae mama,bat bala bonga fujae mama" it was madeningly catchy and I'd totaly forgotten about it until a few months back when I went I was collecting a pizza and it was playing in the takeaway.Ring any bells?

The Frank Chickens?

Dates from 1984. Compiled on K-Tel's Hungry For Hits.

I remember Nighthawks did a micky take of that....
    N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N-Nineteen Sixteen Feat. DJ Dev.

Speakin of mickey takes-you've just reminded me that somebody took the mickey out of the "Camouflage" song mentioned earlier-twas around the same time,and they called it "Cabbage-head".

Paul Hardcastle's 19 was fantastic. Kept up that scary war / end of world vibe. It was number 1 for five weeks - the first week I bought the 7" and then four different 12" singles weekly thereafter.

The Commentators [Rory Bremner] released a parody called "N-N-Nineteen Not Out" a few weeks later. It can be found on Now 5.

The Frank Chickens?

Dates from 1984. Compiled on K-Tel's Hungry For Hits.
    No,that mysterys been solved by Darkdubh a few posts back.Never heard this one before,I'm a sucker for 80's synth pop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Paul Hardcastle's 19 was fantastic

I despised that song. I heard it for the first time in years on the radio last weekend and it reminded me just how much I hated it.

Do you like Paul Hardcastle's Rainforest - electro masterpiece.

Why the hate for 19?

Stutter Rap by Morris Minor And The Majors.That guy who went on to write a book about traveling around Ireland with a fridge was involved with that.

Speakin of mickey takes-you've just reminded me that somebody took the mickey out of the "Camouflage" song mentioned earlier-twas around the same time,and they called it "Cabbage-head".

A comedian...was it Jon Kenny pre-D'Unbelieveables???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Remember these?
    Glen Curtin,Tears on the telephone.

Laurie Anderson O Superman-this song made (still does) me feel really really sick in the head.

A comedian...was it Jon Kenny pre-D'Unbelieveables???

I have absolutely no idea.

Twas just a little flashback I had when we were mentioning mickey-takes,and all that came to me mind was the start of the chorus which went with:

"Wo ho,wo ho Cabbage-head........"

I can't even remember any of the other lyrics-I just remember that my older brothers found it very funny.....

Remember these?
    Glen Curtin,Tears on the telephone.

Laurie Anderson O Superman-this song made (still does) me feel really really sick in the head.
    And that was an edited version of O Superman.The full song is about 9 or 10 minuites long.I saw Laurie Anderson performing in Cork three years ago but she diden't do this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Anything by Wham, Five Star, Nick Kamen (spl?), Culture Club...

Caonima wrote: »
    Anything by Wham, Five Star, Nick Kamen (spl?), Culture Club...

That's a pretty damning generalisation.
    While Nick Kamen's output was mostly generic fluff, do you really think the other three artists produced absolutely nothing of merit?

This b-side from Club Tropicana is a smooth balearic classic.

Church Of The Poison Mind is an assured beat-driven floorfiller with a great backing vocal from Helen Terry.

Five Star had quite a few smooth soul singles with some quality remixes. This is one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

While Nick Kamen's output was mostly generic fluff, do you really think the other three artists produced absolutely nothing of merit?

Church Of The Poison Mind is an assured beat-driven floorfiller with a great backing vocal from Helen Terry.

Five Star had quite a few smooth soul singles with some quality remixes. This is one.

arrrgghhhhhhhh, make it stopppppppppppppppppp :eek:

• Advertisement

"Oooh what an atmosphere,I love a party with a happy atmosphere...there's music everywhere,and soon we'll be dancing in the cool night air..."

"Wo ho ho wo ho.
    Hangin tough.Hangin tough.Hangin tough.Hangin tough.
    Wo ho ho wo ho."

"Americanos,blue jeans and chinos....in the land of the free you can be what you wanna be."

"It's got what it takes,so tell me why can't this be love....straight from the heart,oh tell me why can't this be love."

And for some nineties nonsense:

"I tell ya what I want what I really really want,so tell me what ya want what ya really really want,I wanna ha I wanna ha I wanna ha I wanna ha I wanna ha I really really wanna ziggy zag ha..."

"You're no good for me,I don't need nobody....Don't need no-one that's no good for me...."

"Don't you cry tonight,I still love you baby, don't you cry tonight,there's a heaven above you baby..."

"Mmmm mmmm mmmm mmmm mmmm mmmm mmmm mmmm....
    Mmmm mmmm mmmm mmmm mmmm mmmm mmmm mmmm...."

Jive Bunny.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

"Oooh what an atmosphere,I love a party with a happy atmosphere...there's music everywhere,and soon we'll be dancing in the cool night air..."

Russ Abbot!!! :eek: I remember that. In fact I think it was imprinted on my brain because every time I go shopping in Penny's and wander through the part with the Atmosphere brand, I inevitably end up humming that song for the rest of the day. :o

Jive Bunny.

That is all.
    And they had three UK no 1's in a row with that stuff.

sudzs wrote: »
    Russ Abbot!!! :eek:

THAT'S who it was!
    I dunno what made me think it was some TV presenter.

Does anybody remember the song which went with......"To the very very young and the very very old-every one of you say aye.To the centre of the earth and to the corners of the world-everybody now say aye....."
    Was that one used in some TV ad back then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

THAT'S who it was!
    I dunno what made me think it was some TV presenter.

Does anybody remember the song which went with......"To the very very young and the very very old-every one of you say aye.To the centre of the earth and to the corners of the world-everybody now say aye....."
    Was that one used in some TV ad back then?

Here it is. I don't remember it in an ad but I thought it was a great song back then!

"Living in a Box" now I think that is awful!

Aglomerado wrote: »

Here it is. I don't remember it in an ad but I thought it was a great song back then!

"Living in a Box" now I think that is awful!

Now that I've listened to it,I think twas in an ad for some Building Society or something.
    And yes-that "Livin in a Box" IS bad!!

The Red Box song is decent. Also liked their follow-up For America.

The melody of Church of the Poison Mind sounds suspiciously like that of Back Of Love by Echo And The Bunnymen which came out about a year beforehand.Sorry I don't know how to properly embed videos but heres the link.Coincidence?

http://youtu.be/c7jqdUBtWMc

• Advertisement

"Someone left my cake out in the rain.....I don't think that I can take it because I took so long to bake it,and I'll never have that recipe again.oh no..."

I don't know what era that song was from-but I can remember p***in myself laughin when I first heard it,mainly at the way he was singing,and at the lyrics.But the song probably has some deeper meaning to it.....

I remember as well in a shop where I was workin,there was a continuous tape or CD playin,and every time it played the song "Sylvia's Mother" it used to drive me mad!!!

Advertisement