Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stream wireless to tv?

Options
  • 27-07-2013 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a archos cobalt tablet and want to stream live from it to a lg smart tv(lm620t).
    I have found apps that let me easily stream photos,music and movies but i cant figure out how to stream live from my tablet to the tv. Tablet does not have hdmi, hence wireless.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Have you got a ps3,xbox or laptop near the tv? If you do you could stream to them using plixel dms in the play store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭kindalen

Have a laptop and wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Have a look at the newly launched Google chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Have a look at the newly launched Google chromecast.

Chromecast isn't for streaming from your tablet/phone. It allows you to instruct what videos to play, so there is a button built into the youtube/netfix UI which tells the adaptor what to access. The adaptor then accesses it itself via wifi, you are just telling it what to play via your device.

It doesn't do live streaming (unfortunately!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

kindalen wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a archos cobalt tablet and want to stream live from it to a lg smart tv(lm620t).
    I have found apps that let me easily stream photos,music and movies but i cant figure out how to stream live from my tablet to the tv. Tablet does not have hdmi, hence wireless.

Thanks.

I have a similar setup. Asus Tablet and LG smart blueray player. For the smart TV you may need a wireless dongle if not already built in. Otherwise you just plug it straight into your router, which is what I did. Then just follow the instructions in the TV's manual to pair the tablet and the TV. You can then use an app such as skifta to stream via dlna. Also, YouTube allows you to control the app on the TV, play movies, set up queues of movies etc...

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I have a similar setup. Asus Tablet and LG smart blueray player. For the smart TV you may need a wireless dongle if not already built in. Otherwise you just plug it straight into your router, which is what I did. Then just follow the instructions in the TV's manual to pair the tablet and the TV. You can then use an app such as skifta to stream via dlna. Also, YouTube allows you to control the app on the TV, play movies, set up queues of movies etc...

If you are looking to mirror what's on the table screen to the TV, it doesn't exist on android yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

quote="Bluefoam;85716303"]If you are looking to mirror what's on the table screen to the TV, it doesn't exist on android yet...[/quote]

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.awindinc.sphone2tv&hl=en

quote="Bluefoam;85716303"]If you are looking to mirror what's on the table screen to the TV, it doesn't exist on android yet...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.awindinc.sphone2tv&hl=en[/quote]

Sorry, allow me to qualify my statement. Mirroring is not officially available on android, but can be made to work by rooting your tablet, voiding your warranty, buying an unlock key from some online vendor, buying a special TV, downloading some special windows software to a computer...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sorry, allow me to qualify my statement. Mirroring is not officially available on android, but can be made to work by rooting your tablet, buying an unlock key from some online vendor, buying a special TV, downloading some special windows software to a computer...

....aaaand generally performs terribly.

Sorry, allow me to qualify my statement. Mirroring is not officially available on android, but can be made to work by rooting your tablet, voiding your warranty, buying an unlock key from some online vendor, buying a special TV, downloading some special windows software to a computer...

I never said a word...now did I??

Officially available?? come on now!!!

I'll take your word on all the other stuff, except...

Rooting does not void your warranty in the EU, unless the vendor can prove it has caused actual damaged. You are actually covered for two years after purchase, under the Directive 1999/44/CE....

see here

In irish law, which has transposed the directive above, here are the rules regarding faulty goods...
    If the fault is major, for example if you buy a mobile phone and it stops working shortly after you start using it due to a major fault with the phone, you have the option to reject the goods and rescind (end) the contract.....

Your contract is with the retailer or supplier who sold you the goods or products so if there is a fault, it is up to them to fix it. You may also have extra protection if you have a guarantee or warranty from the manufacturer......

When you buy goods, you enter into a contract with the seller. If those goods turn out to be faulty and the fault is major, you are entitled to reject the goods and rescind (end) the contract. If you simply reject the goods, for example, a broken bill-pay phone, you may still be tied into a contract unless you demand to cancel it without any penalty fees.

This option is complex and can depend on a number of factors. For example, the severity of the fault, the length of time since you bought the goods, and the inconvenience caused to you as a result of the fault. If a fault occurs within the first 6 months of purchase, it is assumed that is was there at the time of sale. It is important to remember that if you caused the fault, the trader is under no obligation to offer you any type of compensation.

Here is a useful PDF with all info:

http://www.nca.ie/media/Yourrightswhenshopping1.pdf

• Advertisement

Thanks all, looks like its the laptop to mirror my live stream so.

Perhaps chromecast.....

http://www.google.com/chromecast

Or Android mini PC

Hi Kindalen. As far as I'm aware mirroring is directly showing whats on your tablet on another screen in real time. Live streaming is showing video & audio in real time from a camera/microphone on another device.

Which are you trying to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Miracast is tha the android's airplay. You need an android client to stream your tablet to.

I use the rikomagic for that and it works great

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

It depends... Samsung has this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMCRTXjMVSA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Works very well, I use it a lot. I'm surprised that others can't do that... The only "bad" thing is that it doesn't play full hd - 720p only.

gzoladz wrote: »
    Miracast is tha the android's airplay. You need an android client to stream your tablet to.

I use the rikomagic for that and it works great

Android mini pc.....like I said.

I will be acquiring one soon, quad core running 4.2.2 connected to TV by hdmi....wifi and ethernet enabled....around €50/60....

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/android-sticks/cx-919-android-mini-pc.aspx

Android mini pc.....like I said.

I will be acquiring one soon, quad core running 4.2.2 connected to TV by hdmi....wifi and ethernet enabled....around €50/60....

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/android-sticks/cx-919-android-mini-pc.aspx

I didn't like that at all. Nice at the beginning with installing and setting up but awkward with daily use. You need to restart every time you turn tv off or unplug the device. Using mouse or keyboard is good with bluetooth only - to avoid cables etc. You can use phone as a mouse/keyboard but it doesn't work well.

Hi Kindalen. As far as I'm aware mirroring is directly showing whats on your tablet on another screen in real time. Live streaming is showing video & audio in real time from a camera/microphone on another device.

Which are you trying to do?

I want to mirror, sorry not too tech savvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

iwo wrote: »
    I didn't like that at all. Nice at the beginning with installing and setting up but awkward with daily use. You need to restart every time you turn tv off or unplug the device. Using mouse or keyboard is good with bluetooth only - to avoid cables etc. You can use phone as a mouse/keyboard but it doesn't work well.

I got the mele f10 as mouse/keyboard. So far so good, will see in the long term.

No need to restart every time, consumption is very small, and it makes the tv much smarter than any current smart tv.

Also the remote can be used with the arrows instead of the mouse functionality.

Happy so far.

I didn't like that at all. Nice at the beginning with installing and sethtting up but awkward with daily use. You need to restart every time you turn tv off or unplug the device. Using mouse or keyboard is good with bluetooth only - to avoid cables etc. You can use phone as a mouse/keyboard but it doesn't work well.

Thanks for the heads up.....do you have any suggested mini pc you know about. ..

I want the quad core but 4.2.2 seems problematical??

There is also a guy doing custom roms, which fix most of the default stock rom problems and there is continuing support.

Finless Bob....??

http://www.freaktab.com/forumdisplay.php?135-Android-TV-Player-Support&

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up.....do you have any suggested mini pc you know about. ..

I want the quad core but 4.2.2 seems problematical??

There is also a guy doing custom roms, which fix most of the default stock rom problems and there is continuing support.

Finless Bob....??

http://www.freaktab.com/forumdisplay.php?135-Android-TV-Player-Support&

Mine was mk802 with 4.0os. It was 1gb version. After I got it I had to flash new rom as it was in the restart loop after first try ^_^

It depends what you looking for.
    Games?
    Movies?
    Browsing?
    The most practical is movies and music. I did not like it for music as I had to have tv on to pick tracks... Waste of energy (so i bought bluetooth receiver for my yamaha amplifier)

Movies then, you will send video on tv but what about audio? If you happy with poor audio then it is ok. But I have amplifier which I would like to use and enjoy.

The best way is to define what you looking for and try to adapt to your ideas.
    It is cheap and good for testing / flashing / practising different things but I was never happy with actual purpose of it - media player. For example: audio issues, bad scaling for netflix or youtube, having mouse and keyboard on my knees, coffee table all the time.

You may as well run hdmi cable from pc to tv (if your laptop has one) tvs support full hd scaling and desktops look very nice. My cheap lg tv can do that.

Maybe never versions of them players are better by now.

Mine was mk802 with 4.0os. It was 1gb version. After I got it I had to flash new rom as it was in the restart loop after first try ^_^

It depends what you looking for.
    Games?
    Movies?
    Browsing?
    The most practical is movies and music. I did not like it for music as I had to have tv on to pick tracks... Waste of energy (so i bought bluetooth receiver for my yamaha amplifier)

Movies then, you will send video on tv but what about audio? If you happy with poor audio then it is ok. But I have amplifier which I would like to use and enjoy.

The best way is to define what you looking for and try to adapt to your ideas.
    It is cheap and good for testing / flashing / practising different things but I was never happy with actual purpose of it - media player. For example: audio issues, bad scaling for netflix or youtube, having mouse and keyboard on my knees, coffee table all the time.

You may as well run hdmi cable from pc to tv (if your laptop has one) tvs support full hd scaling and desktops look very nice. My cheap lg tv can do that.

Maybe never versions of them players are better by now.

Jasus yoy may have saved me...I was hoping to negate the need for buying a new smart TV....

I already use the hdmi cable for Netflix BBC iPlayer, etc. It is OK, but finicky and messy!!

I am waiting for an adaptor fir my Galaxy S3, to make it easier.....

But the thoughts of a full android system connected to my HDMI was leaving me excited.

I presume it can d/l apps, etc.....play store is there and some are rooted, allowing use of Hola unblocker to get US Netflix, bbc iPlayer, Pandora, etc.....better than any Smart TV...which u could not use unblocker with, etc.

I will keep looking, but I think these have come some way since your model.

802 was single core Allwinner??

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Mini_PC_MK802

new devices are now mostly Rockchip quad cores.....

maybe makes a difference??

Jasus yoy may have saved me...I was hoping to negate the need for buying a new smart TV....

I already use the hdmi cable for Netflix BBC iPlayer, etc. It is OK, but finicky and messy!!

I am waiting for an adaptor fir my Galaxy S3, to make it easier.....

But the thiughts of a full android system connected to my hdmi was leaving me excited.

I presume it can d/l apps, etc.....play store is there and some are rooted, allowing use of Hola unblocker to get US Netflix, bbc iPlayer, Pandora, etc.....better than any Smart TV...which u could not use unblocker with, etc.

I wilk keep looking, but I think these have come some way since your model.

802 was single core Allwinner??

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Mini_PC_MK802

new devices are now mostly Rockchip quad cores.....maybe makes a difference??

Have you heard about "all share dongle" it is made for Samsung s3,s4 and note2 not sure about tablets... It's quite good and it is the actual mirroring. Quick to connect, cheap to buy and run.
    Plenty of advantages and few issues i found myself :

1.Can't use bluetooth while connected to tv (wireless)
    2. It plays video of 720p
    3. Subtitles appears on phone only

In addition, you can connect ps3 controller to you s3 to play some games or navigate (i played gta, race games etc)

Check youtube

Have you heard about "all share dongle" it is made for Samsung s3,s4 and note2 not sure about tablets... It's quite good and it is the actual mirroring. Quick to connect, cheap to buy and run.
    Plenty of advantages and few issues i found myself :

1.Can't use bluetooth while connected to tv (wireless)
    2. It plays video of 720p
    3. Subtitles appears on phone only

In addition, you can connect ps3 controller to you s3 to play some games or navigate (i played gta, race games etc)

Check youtube

Mirroring again, someone said it didn't exist for Android??? :D

I am waiting for the hdmi adaptor for my S3....hopefully it will also allow for video, I think it supports 1080p, so the inconvenience of a cord, and power required on the S3, will be worth it....

I'll report back when it arrives....if it arrives....from China, could be a dog, but it's cheap!!!

but it is a lot cheaper option than this dongle, and I am not sure the dongle gives any better options??

Just the inconvenience of being tethered to the device tethered to to the TV...

Someone didn't have enough knowledge ;););)
    AFAIK it plays 720p max. (all share wireless dongle) it is direct wifi so router is not involved but still huge amount of data to be sent. Movies, youtube, netfix, music, mirroring desktop, simple games work great. Heavy and quick action games (race) can be/are choppy. If your TV supports USB then you can power it that way...Also, some Samsung TVs (recent) are built in with all share and dongle is not required. Phone can be used as keyboard, mouse and search tool.
    Anything else - cable connected would support 1080p.

Someone didn't have enough knowledge ;););)
    AFAIK it plays 720p max. (all share wireless dongle) it is direct wifi so router is not involved but still huge amount of data to be sent. Movies, youtube, netfix, music, mirroring desktop, simple games work great. Heavy and quick action games (race) can be/are choppy. If your TV supports USB then you can power it that way...Also, some Samsung TVs (recent) are built in with all share and dongle is not required. Phone can be used as keyboard, mouse and search tool.
    Anything else - cable connected would support 1080p.

Thanks again...

so, afaics, the price of this dongle would be about equivalent to an android mini, latest quad core version, probably running 4.1, 4.2 seems problematical, custom rom, rooted, load any apk, or anything from Play, i think there is a hack to make it seem like a Samsung device.....

I think I will wait for the S3 HDMI adaptor, and buy the most recommended quad core mini, I'll check out that forum i linked above...

http://www.freaktab.com/forum.php

It seems to have all the latest info, and custom roms, etc.....

It will be good craic anyway, and not as expensive as buying a new Smart TV, when I have a perfectly good Panasonic HD unit already, slightly old now, [just 2 X HDMI] but still serviceable???

And, I still need to connect up that old HD AzBox, for my telly needs, it has two tuners, sat and terrestrial, so it should be OK for SaorView??

Time to dump Sky...I would have done it years ago, but I got ill 4 years ago, and I hadn't the heart to tackle stuff...

It is now getting too expensive to have Sky,for me anyway, on a fixed pension, and there are so many other options now.

Thanks for listening and your opinions, they are very informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Can someone please tell me what i need or how i go about watching movies i have stored on my galaxy tab 2 10.1 on a tv??

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me what i need or how i go about watching movies i have stored on my galaxy tab 2 10.1 on a tv??

*****IMPORTANT*******

This adaptor will not work on the European Model of the Tab 2 10.1 [GT-P5110].

It is specifically designed for the Samsung Tab 2 10.1 US model [GT-P5113]....

so do not purchase this unless you have the US Model above. [GT-P5113]

The European model does not have the required HDTV or HDMI hardware, so it will never work, no matter what you do.

Samsung have admitted this, see my post below.

Buy this from Amazon, you need an adaptor, no direct HDMI from Sammy Tab 2 10.1, none at all from 7 inch....

71TQiEXlZ5L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HDTV-Adapter-Galaxy-10-1/dp/B0051D3KKI

See this YouTube for instructions:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-Built--Charging-Samsung/dp/B00ATD9QKS/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375123935&sr=1-4&keywords=Cable+matters+mhl+s3

I use this for my note 2 and have seen it working on an s3. It is fantastic. Mirrors the display from the phone and stretches far enough that I can sit back on the couch and control everything from the phone. The sound and picture are excellent quality.

You need to plug a charger in but it plugs into the section near the tv where theres usually easy access to a plug.Otherwise you don't need anything else.

• Advertisement

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-Built--Charging-Samsung/dp/B00ATD9QKS/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375123935&sr=1-4&keywords=Cable+matters+mhl+s3

I use this for my note 2 and have seen it working on an s3. It is fantastic. Mirrors the display from the phone and stretches far enough that I can sit back on the couch and control everything from the phone. The sound and picture are excellent quality.

You need to plug a charger in but it plugs into the section near the tv where theres usually easy access to a plug.Otherwise you don't need anything else.

Does this work with the Tab 2 10.1??...just don't see it mentioned in the specs, S3/S4/Note 2...

I don't see why not, but they would usually mention it....also, no reviewer in Amazon mentions the Tab...

so I don't know...??

Advertisement