Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eCommerce setup for wordpress site information

Options
  • 16-07-2013 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have just been approached to build a new website for a client but they are looking to implement an eCommerce section to the site which i haven't done before. Normally i would just jump head first into these type of things but i also don't want to put myself into a situation where i cant finish something i started.

I would plan to build the site using Wordpress and just from a quick search online it looks like either the "Woocommerce" or "Shopp" plugin may be the best option (i could be very wrong here? Not sure if they are capable of accepting credit card payments for withing Europe?).

If anyone has any information on what exactly i would need to do to setup a site to accept credit card payments etc it would really be appreciated and also if anyone who has setup eCommerce websites could give me an estimate of what they would charge to come on board with me and setup the eCommerce side of things for me and possibly show me how it was done so i know in future that would be great too!:)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Now I'm no accredited Shopify expert or anything....Oh wait...I am! :P

/brag

Assuming it's not a huge site like pixmania or the like, go with Shopify. It's great. The support is excellent as is the documentation.

Plus you're putting yourself out of your comfort zone, which is the only way you'll ever learn and progress. Especially if the budget is there to allow you to go for it. Nothing better than being paid to learn! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

KonFusion wrote: »
    Now I'm no accredited Shopify expert or anything....Oh wait...I am! :P

/brag

Assuming it's not a huge site like pixmania or the like, go with Shopify. It's great. The support is excellent as is the documentation.

Plus you're putting yourself out of your comfort zone, which is the only way you'll ever learn and progress. Especially if the budget is there to allow you to go for it. Nothing better than being paid to learn! :)

From what I can see though shopify requires a monthly subscription and as the site isn't for myself I don't want to have to factor that type of cost into the build? Hence why I was looking to use some type of WordPress plugin. I think you are right about just going for it but id hate to start something I can't finish!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

From what I can see though shopify requires a monthly subscription and as the site isn't for myself I don't want to have to factor that type of cost into the build?

Why not?
    I think you are right about just going for it but id hate to start something I can't finish!

How many products will you be selling? Will it need to be integrated into a EPOS system or the like. I think wordpress makes a crappy eCommerce solution tbh. But if you've only a few products then it'd be fine I guess.

OpenCart has a low enough learning curve IMO, compared to the likes of Magento or Zencart.

If you're worried about not being able to finish, why not include a safety net in the budget/proposal (say an extra 30% or w/e) and if you can't do it, you can outsource the bits you have trouble with and still turn a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I quite like using Woocommerce, quite powerful if you can manage to tame their strict html & css structure. I usually turn off their CSS and build my own over it.

Used Shopp once, didnt like it.

KonFusion wrote: »
    Why not?

How many products will you be selling? Will it need to be integrated into a EPOS system or the like. I think wordpress makes a crappy eCommerce solution tbh. But if you've only a few products then it'd be fine I guess.

OpenCart has a low enough learning curve IMO, compared to the likes of Magento or Zencart.

If you're worried about not being able to finish, why not include a safety net in the budget/proposal (say an extra 30% or w/e) and if you can't do it, you can outsource the bits you have trouble with and still turn a profit.

I just don't see it as an on-going job where i am constantly being debited for the service of building the site id much rather just build it and leave them too it! I'm not sure exactly how many products they have but they plan to sell clothes and shoes so i would imagine its quite a few?

opencart might be an option alright, it would mean going back on my proposal and factoring the cost of a beskpoke design which will obviously take a lot more time then editing a wordpress theme but im get the feeling this client is looking to keep things cheap enough.

Just find the idea of building a full eCommerce site on my own for the first time a bit daunting. it seems (at least at this point having no experience with it) like it will be a huge task? would be great to work on one with someone who had some experience as i'm a quick learner and i'm sure would figure things out quick with some help, as you say though if i want to improve there is no better way to learn then to get paid for it! Conflicting feelings about the project ha:o

Also just out of interest, what kind of price would you feel an eCommerce site should come in at? Even a ballpark figure i was thinking alng the lines of about 700 for a wordpress site or double that for a bespoke build with real shopping cart software? am i selling myself short, especially if i need to outsource some stuff in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kgarvey

@SpaceCowb0y did you check out Shopperpress on http://shopperpress.com might take some time to setup but the whole site would be done

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Also just out of interest, what kind of price would you feel an eCommerce site should come in at? Even a ballpark figure i was thinking alng the lines of about 700 for a wordpress site or double that for a bespoke build with real shopping cart software? am i selling myself short, especially if i need to outsource some stuff in the end?

A professional self-hosted ecommerce site should be costing €5k at an absolute minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

tell him the options on shopify. tell him about the monthly costs and he just seta it up himself with Hus credit card or gives card details to you for setup.
    it then debits his card every month and. your free if it once its built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

WooCommerce and Shopp themes don't actually do the card processing themselves - they are shopping cart/ecommerce software only, you would need one of their payment gateway plugins to interface with your merchant account/payment processing bank, or with the likes of PayPal. WooCommerce is very easy to set up, not sure about Shopp.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 RobGJ

Short video here of a dude with some dulcet tones and good intro to WooCommerce http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzBRZGKvkEc 15 mins but should give you a better idea of what using WooCommerce would entail..Good luck..

• Advertisement

Thanks for that!

Advertisement