Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashless Society

Options
  • 25-06-2013 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭

Would you agree to a cashless society if it meant low levels of tax evasion, crime etc, but meant all your transactions were traceable?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Not if the bank fees keep going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Bro do you even lift?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

skywalker wrote: »
    Not if the bank fees keep going up.

Indeed, and for this occasion I have create my own bank.

It uses monopoly money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Would you agree to a cashless society if it meant low levels of tax evasion, crime etc, but meant all your transactions were traceable?

would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Bro do you even lift?

Naturally I finished the set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

IM0 wrote: »
    would you?

Would I Fock!

Nemeses wrote: »
    Indeed, and for this occasion I have create my own bank.

It uses monopoly money.

and is used for buy empty cardboard boxes of cereal, empty jars and leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I couldn't comprehend a jamless society, I mean, what would we put on the other have of the peanut butter sandwich?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Well the problem is that it's one law in this country for one set of people and a completely different one for other people. The problem isn't tracability its the enforcement of laws IMO.

Course I'd start a vegetable patch to bring down the system!

Would I Fock!

your arguement is compelling. Im in. sold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

But we aren't allowed sell empty milk cartons, we just have to throw them out cuz they smell.

But we aren't allowed sell empty milk cartons, we just have to throw them out cuz they smell.

rinse them you tit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

No thanks,

I ain't taking the mark of the beast so fuuuuu Obama :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I couldn't see a cashless society ever working 100% there would too much control by banks and governments to do exactly what they want.

Dame Edna gets a call from Merkel some morning saying we need more money, he goes to his computer and click click click and the money's gone... You get no say.

They bring in a new tax!! Click and you've paid it, doesn't matter that you have food or anything else to pay for.

At least if you have cash in some other safe spot other than a bank well only you can touch it.

Before they could even contemplate it banks and politicians would need to be trusted 100% and corruption free. Will that ever happen??? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Festy wrote: »
    No thanks,

I ain't taking the mark of the beast so fuuuuu Obama :pac:

Isn't that not RFID related?? Where everyone is tagged with an rfid chip for identification?? That's scary stuff too by the way. Just done a research thesis on rfid and some of the patents that have been applied for in recent times to do with implantable rfid would scare you.

For example a Middle Eastern scientist developed an implantable rfid tag which contained enough poison to kill a man. One click and it releases the poison into the bloodstream and you die....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I do live in a cashless society. Until Thursday...

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I couldn't see a cashless society ever working 100% there would too much control by banks and governments to do exactly what they want.

Dame Edna gets a call from Merkel some morning saying we need more money, he goes to his computer and click click click and the money's gone... You get no say.

They bring in a new tax!! Click and you've paid it, doesn't matter that you have food or anything else to pay for.

At least if you have cash in some other safe spot other than a bank well only you can touch it.

Before they could even contemplate it banks and politicians would need to be trusted 100% and corruption free. Will that ever happen??? I doubt it.

I live in a country where 90% of my transactions are cashless

It's handy, just means I don't have to go to the atm so often

• Registered Users Posts: 3 numerologistic

Jonny7 wrote: »
    I live in a country where 90% of my transactions are cashless

It's handy, just means I don't have to go to the atm so often

I could see a lot of countries like that going back to Barter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's useful to have as an option, but no, I certainly wouldn't want all privacy removed like that. They have enough snooping powers as it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

How would stoners pay drug dealers for their weed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't see cash as a matter of protecting privacy. I don't like the dependancy on other factors to go cashless. Such as the availability of credit card devices. Not everywhere uses'em. Then what's needed for the device if there was one, an online connection and power source. I couldn't be confident that that is always going to be available.
    Sergeant wrote: »

Favours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

IM0 wrote: »
    rinse them you tit

water costs money now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

direct debit or standing order if they are a regular customer

• Registered Users Posts: 3 numerologistic

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's useful to have as an option, but no, I certainly wouldn't want all privacy removed like that. They have enough snooping powers as it is

After that NSA saga I wouldn't trust a full blown cashless society.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Technical expenses covers a multitude of sins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

In a word, no. A world where Fidelma Healy-Earmes can become a legislator is a world where I don't trust the Government to monitor what's good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, and besides it doesn't mean end of any crime whatsoever.

A cashless society just means the bankers own your sorry butt 100%, that's not a good future at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

I would agree to a cashless society, as I am cashless at least 3 days a week, so I wouldn't find it a very big transition.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

It could be a predecessor to a one world currency which wouldn't be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

I want to hear what Mr Srnub thinks of this.

Advertisement