Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People going car to car begging for money

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Just power through OP. If you have to walk through them do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭WanabeOlympian

I have a built in stubborness in such situations. I've had plenty of people with stories and asking for money, be it connolly station or grafton street. Generally when I'm waiting for someone and can't walk on with a blank stare. Never once have i given in. It actually frustrates the hell out of them. It's nearly like a challenge or game to some I think. Sometimes they could be there for 10 minutes attempting to extract money from me. I guess i take a sadistic pleasure in refusing them. I've been insulted, sure, when they know I won't budge, a hearty laugh as they walk away is the icing on the cake.

On a side note, I donate to charity and I'm very generous by nature. But never to a chancer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Clutchkick wrote: »
    People going car to car begging for money

They only do it because people give them money. The only people to blame here are therefore the people who give them an incentive to beg by giving them money. In other words, the donators are wholly responsible for the continuation of begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We gave him the loose change we had from our order, just so he’d go away.
    <snip>
    I threw €15 down by the gear stick when I got into the car and of course he spotted it so I couldn’t use the I haven’t a penny excuse, I gave it to him
    Some beggers have a knack of spotting those with a soft touch.

If they ask nicely, I say "no", if the hand comes out I tell them to "fúck off", and if they ask impolitely, I tell them to "fúck off and get a job".

For chuggers, beggers, etc, I see them, I look at a point beyond them, and I walk forward. They get out of my way :D Have yet to walk into one that was brave/foolish enough to stand in my way.
    Rather annoying but windows closed and doors locked.
    Usually have the windows down in Dublin. Of course, I also usually have Pantera playing full blast, or some diddly trad playing (also full blast), with myself grinning and bouncing around the car like a demented nut :D
    biko wrote: »
    Not particularly Motors related.
    >>> AH
    Would've thought Ranting & Raving would've been a better choice, no?

=-=

On a night out, I'll give two euro, or some loose change to the first respectable Irish begger who asks nicely. And I'll tell each and every other to "fcuk off".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I did that once - my OH was coming to collect me one rainy evening and had parked up waiting for me. I came down the road, saw the car and jumped in and started chatting. Never even looked at my OH. When I did (about 10 seconds later) I noticed I was in the wrong car. I was so embarrassed, but apologized and burst out laughing as did the driver. I got out and there was my OH in the car behind also having a laugh. Two exact same cars.

Nobody felt threatened, it was an honest mistake and taken in good humor.

I never said I felt thrathened, but situation like this just showed how easy I am open to everyone on street, it could be a crook or something instead of you for example who would get in and steal something.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4 ASnailInMyNose

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Happens a LOT in London. Problem used to be really bad with gipsies attempting to wash your windows at traffic lights and begging. Police have done a lot to address the problem though.

I haven't seen this happening as much as it used to. The first time it happened to me I was only learning to drive, I had no idea what was going on and I genuinely had no money with me. I asked them not to wash the windscreen but they kept at it and got really aggressive with me when I told them I had no money on me. I had to drive off as the lights had changed and I felt awful, until I thought logically about it for a few minutes. Nobody should ever be intimidated into handing over money. Any time I've been approached like that since, I flip the wipers on to the fastest setting before they get a chance to touch the windscreen. Simple but surprisingly effective.

Slightly OT but coming back to the point made about keeping windows up and doors locked, a colleague of mine was in traffic in town with her handbag on the passenger seat and the window slightly down and some scrote tried to reach in to take her bag. Absolute scummy bastards :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

There was a one legged woman around the traffic lights beside the Hilton on the n32 in Dublin a while back, she used to go car to car on crutches with her trousers rolled up to show her lack of leg. A few times when she was leaving I seem her strapping on a prosthetic and walking off no bother to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

When I was small there used to be a junction with red lights where Romanians would come up and wash your windscreen. It was very annoying coming home and some chancer would pour dirty soapy cold water on your car. When people started ignoring them they started opening car doors with their randsom demand. guards were called and they moved on. Since then I've always associated beggers as an annoyance so I generally don't notice them or there pleas.

During the boom Romanians would call around to the house every month selling paintings. They had no English. You'd open the door and theyd present a shoddy picture with €50 written on a piece of paper. Nothing to do with cars but similar as they'd try to put you on the spot.

I've never given a begger money directly.

*before people accuse me of rascism they were actually Romanian.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

HurtLocker wrote: »
    When I was small there used to be a junction with red lights where Romanians would come up and wash your windscreen. It was very annoying coming home and some chancer would pour dirty soapy cold water on your car. When people started ignoring them they started opening car doors with their randsom demand. guards were called and they moved on. Since then I've always associated beggers as an annoyance so I generally don't notice them or there pleas.

During the boom Romanians would call around to the house every month selling paintings. They had no English. You'd open the door and theyd present a shoddy picture with €50 written on a piece of paper. Nothing to do with cars but similar as they'd try to put you on the spot.

I've never given a begger money directly.

*before people accuse me of rascism they were actually Romanian.

Did you ask them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

Just say no, giving money to these plebs only encourages them to keep doing it.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Did you ask them?

Either take my word for it or report me for rascism. This is an online forum not a court room. I did find out they were Romanians. That's why I said "they were Romanians".

Edit: I had a whole line dedicated clearing up the assumption that I was guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Some Indian looking guy came up to me on Capel street, handed me a note with a sob story on it. I read the first sentence, crumbled it up, threw onto ground* and walked away.

*saw him pick it up after

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Racism? I don't think being from Romania is a particular race?
    I doubt most of us could tell someone from romania or not :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

joe stodge wrote: »
    There was a one legged woman around the traffic lights beside the Hilton on the n32 in Dublin a while back, she used to go car to car on crutches with her trousers rolled up to show her lack of leg. A few times when she was leaving I seem her strapping on a prosthetic and walking off no bother to her.

Sounds like the one from Newlands Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Roll the windows down and pump up the auld death metal on the radio

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I used to be so intimidated by the guys washing windscreens at the lights at the top of the exit slip from the M50 to the N7. I assumed they were Roma but maybe I was wrong. I never gave them money or opened my window but I used to dread seeing them there because they used to go around both sides of the car so I sort of felt surrounded. It was great when the junction became free flow so you didn't have to stop. I still see the odd person begging at Newlands Cross but it's always been just one person rather than a group so it's not as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Print off a couple of copies of 20 Euro notes. Then hand these out to these sob story merchants.

Unless that's illegal. I don't think it is. If it is, print off a couple of copies of UK£20 notes.

If that's illegal, ah... come up with your own ideas.

Forgery? Illegal? Sure not at all, tis only a bit of craic Guard...... woah, what's with the handcuffs ya kinky son of a.......gweesy with that baton, you'll have someones eye owwwwww............

Having said that, great idea, I'll keep one or two handy in the watch pocket of the jeans and pray I don't get blitzed drunk and try to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Plazaman wrote: »
    Forgery? Illegal? Sure not at all, tis only a bit of craic Guard...... woah, what's with the handcuffs ya kinky son of a.......gweesy with that baton, you'll have someones eye owwwwww............

Having said that, great idea, I'll keep one or two handy in the watch pocket of the jeans and pray I don't get blitzed drunk and try to use them.

If confronted by a member of the auld GS, I would immediately produce my Dail membership card & tell him/her to walk on, perhaps also advising them to look up their law book while they are at it.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Racism? I don't think being from Romania is a particular race?
    I doubt most of us could tell someone from romania or not :D

Okay I'm not xenophobic so. But I'm pretty sure everyone knew what I meant. When the guys came up the window of the car the first time they said they were in from Romania and they needed money. I asked the person who used to come round with paintings "Where are you from?" To which I gained the knowledge she was from Romania I was hoping she tell me where she was in Ireland ...... So what date is my hate charge in court? :D

God dammit some people wake up in the morning just to take offence to something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

the 'hunchback' beggar, a roma used to be a fairly regular beggar on dame street and georges street but i haven't seem him in ages, the best is to ignore them. there is one guy with a northern irish accent who sits on a bag every morning at the ha'penny bridge, lots of people give him change and i've seen people buy him coffee alot as well. the beggars that go up to cars take a lot of risks, i've seen some standing in front of cars at junctions , there's no limit to what they'll do

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

1) Pick your charities to support, for whatever personal reason you have

2) Give what you can of your money or time to them

3) Never ever let yourself be guilt tripped or pressured into further charity donations or giving to chancers or scroungers in any circumstances. The reason it still goes on is because its lucrative

The OH was watching a doco the other night presented by the cute wan who's married to Chris O'Dowd, it was about all aspects of online dating and meeting, she spoke to one poor lonely older woman who was conned out of Stg £85,000 by an email suitor who she 'loved' but never once spoke to on the phone or met in person.

There is one born every minute, make sure youre the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

hollypink wrote: »
    I used to be so intimidated by the guys washing windscreens at the lights at the top of the exit slip from the M50 to the N7. I assumed they were Roma but maybe I was wrong. I never gave them money or opened my window but I used to dread seeing them there because they used to go around both sides of the car so I sort of felt surrounded. It was great when the junction became free flow so you didn't have to stop. I still see the odd person begging at Newlands Cross but it's always been just one person rather than a group so it's not as bad.

Construction is beginning now on removing the Newlands Cross junction, so thatll be the end of him as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Larbre34 wrote: »
    1) Pick your charities to support, for whatever personal reason you have

2) Give what you can of your money or time to them

3) Never ever let yourself be guilt tripped or pressured into further charity donations or giving to chancers or scroungers in any circumstances.

1) Spot on.

2) Spot on.

3) Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Either take my word for it or report me for rascism. This is an online forum not a court room. I did find out they were Romanians. That's why I said "they were Romanians".

Edit: I had a whole line dedicated clearing up the assumption that I was guessing.

Roma != Romanian

While it's true that some Roma come from Romania, a lot of them also come from Hungary, former Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, France, Italy; all over europe in fact.

I have seen plenty of Roma begging but I've seen very few Romanians doing the same. I would bet on your mother's life that what you saw were Roma.

I know that the two words look the same but that's no excuse to be confused. One word is clearly longer than the other.

Romanians look more or less like ourselves except that they have better tans. The ones you see here are generally well-educated and work in skilled or professional jobs. They dress like we do and it would be impossible to pick one out of a crowd of 10 random europeans. They speak Romanian which is like Italian with a hint of Polish.

Roma, on the other hand, are more like pale Dhalit Indians with gold teeth. The women wear long flowing dresses which they accessorise with gold and babies. The men, depending on status, wear a hat and/or moustache but some wear crutches or missing/deformed legs. Different Roma people speak variations of a kind of Indo-Aryan language which sounds a bit whiney when they speak to non-roma but most importantly, it doesn't sound anything like Romanian.

With all that in mind, can you tell me now that you are certain that these were definitely Romanian?

EDIT: I just saw your post up above explaining that they told you they were Romanian. Nevermind.

The point still stands about describing them as Romanian, however. While Romania contains most Roma, it only has around a quarter of the population. Most Roma are not Romanian.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Plazaman wrote: »

It's not a watch pocket. It's a johnny pocket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

endacl wrote: »
    It's not a watch pocket. It's a johnny pocket.

My johnny is too big to fit in that pocket!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

God dammit some people wake up in the morning just to take offence to something.

Nah, nobody is offended. It's just pretty common to see people make the mistake :)

You could always use this South African accessory to solve the problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My first experience with this was in the McDonalds car park in Waterford about two years ago....

The latest was earlier tonight; again it was in McDonald’s car park in Waterford.
    I was in McDonalds and asked if I wanted to donate a euro, or maybe 2 euro to some childrens charity by the person serving me. I didn't see them doing it to anybody else, could have been since I handed in a 50 note and they might be under orders. The server seemed possibly embarrassed or awkward about doing it, like they way they used to have to ask "do you want fries with that", when they knew fine well you probably didn't.

I doubt the server got any take of the profits, like normal chuggers would, who would be more enthusiastic about their loophole begging.

They had charity cookies at the counter too, she wasn't offering me them or anything.

Advertisement