Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is worse for your skin ?

Options
  • 11-05-2013 6:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

Smoking,drinking or to much sun ? No chance of the last one in this country but I included it anyways :pac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

all can be cured by a good facial!!!! I 'll gladly help ya on that front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

There was a picture of a truck driver's face, where the side that faced the window was much more wrinkled than the other. Pretty crazy, google truck driver tan you'll probably get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

racso1975 wrote: »

Is that you Pat Bateman ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Festy wrote: »
    Smoking,drinking or to much sun ? No chance of the last one in this country but I included it anyways :pac

Smoking I think
    this is based on the smokers I know..... around their mouth they are destroyed with wrinkles and they have that yellow tinge off them !
    Like wallpaper in a smokers room all yellow and dirty

There was a picture of a truck driver's face, where the side that faced the window was much more wrinkled than the other. Pretty crazy, google truck driver tan you'll probably get it.

Is it this guy ? If so,damn :eek:

gMePgLE.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sun is much worse, just look at those rednecks in the south of the USA or Aussies. :pac:

Smoking depends on how much you use the product, One third of tobacco smokers develop illness as a result of the habit. These are the statistics so I presume the other two thirds suffer no harm.

monflat wrote: »
    Smoking I think
    this is based on the smokers I know..... around their mouth they are destroyed with wrinkles and they have that yellow tinge off them !

True,but with heavy drinkers they look flushed in the face 24/7.I don't know which looks worse tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

True,but with heavy drinkers they look flushed in the face 24/7.I don't know which looks worse tbh.

Yep u right both drinking and smoking constrict the blood vessel s to the skin
    Then again it all depends on the person where they live exposure etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The sun I'd say. My Dad used to do a lot of driving and he ended up with a malignant tumour on his face. Fortunately he had a great surgeon that was able to reconstruct the area he'd had the tumour removed from, it had left a huge hole in his cheek.

I saw a programme a few years ago where they used some special camera to show the damage done to skin by UV light. The surface skin looked fine but the damage already caused was horrendous. No matter what time of year I wear a high factor skin cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

I often wonder this. No matter what i do my skin is always terrible. I often see people with flawless skin, people who eat crap and drink heavily. Ive come to realise that its just down to genetics really. The more you worry about your skin the more you notice the flaws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Feck -that guys face is ruined. AND he smoked :(

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

Sounds a bit gay. Try a faeces facial instead, i hear they are all the rage.

Feck -that guys face is ruined. AND he smoked :(

True,but when your in your mid 60's and you look like he does will you really give a fcuk ? I highly doubt it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

From growing up in more Southern climes (Germany), I would say too much sun is the worst.

You don't really see that here, but back home you get a certain type of middle aged women, usually with fairly affluent husbands, who definintely spent WAY too much time in the sun - on summer holidays, on skiing holidays, and on sun beds in between holidays. And the best way to describe their skin would be "wrinkly roast turkey". They look properly scary.

That said, smoking and drinking aren't great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

monflat wrote: »
    Smoking I think

Again it all depends on how much you use the product, a chain smoker might develop yellow teeth over a decade or more. The beige tinge, cigarette smoking is good for two thirds of us :pac:, it calms nerves and soothes the worried mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,146 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Depends on the skin - I have psoriasis and excess sun is vey good for it. It would also depend on whether or not you weargin wearing good sun bloc. If not, sun. If so, smoking.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

While all are bad, I'd say sun exposure is the worst. Look at people with very dark skin, they have built in sunblock and as a result they get far fewer wrinkles than pale skinned people. The old "black don't crack" notion has a lot of truth in it. Genetics and gender play a part too. Men have thicker skin so damage takes longer to show.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cypressg

I never wear sunscreen,I mean what did they do a hundred years ago when they were out in the sun working all day?One of the biggest cons going today,there are people who put sunscreen on everyday before they go out lol!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

What did they do 100 years ago? Get ill, get wrinkly, get joint and musculoskeletal problems and die young, for the most part....

Wibbs wrote: »
    While all are bad, I'd say sun exposure is the worst. Look at people with very dark skin, they have built in sunblock and as a result they get far fewer wrinkles than pale skinned people. The old "black don't crack" notion has a lot of truth in it. Genetics and gender play a part too. Men have thicker skin so damage takes longer to show.

The joys of being a man :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

sun obviously, the others effect you internally more, your organs, you know the bits that actually matter

• Registered Users Posts: 78,304 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Smoking depends on how much you use the product, One third of tobacco smokers develop illness as a result of the habit.

Do you mean "One third of tobacco smokers develop illness as a result of the habit." or "One third of tobacco smokers develop a skin illness as a result of the habit. " becuase most smokers have some illness and it seems half of all smokers die from a smoking-related issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,304 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cypressg wrote: »
    I mean what did they do a hundred years ago when they were out in the sun working all day?
    And they're all dead now. In fact, many were dead by 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

No matter whether you actually develop a more serious condition like lung cancer etc, smoking damages your skin, affecting blood flow and how much oxygen gets to the tissues etc. And the body concentrates on trying to cope with damage to the internal organs first, it's like a triage system in an A&E department, the skin is way down the priority list.

Actual doctors and dermatologists will all tell you that smoking is the no.1 worst thing for your skin, closely followed by too much sun.

Personally I wear sunscreen every day but then I've seen how much UV damage I already had by the age of 30 and it put the fear of god into me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Genetics you say

The sun may be unpleasant for our skin if not dangerous but think of the legacy we pass on to our children.We are making their skin genetically better by staying in the sun.

Burn blister, and peel for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Black people naturally have thicker skin, which I think would be a more important factor (as an analogy, which gets wrinkly first, a shirt or a jumper?). I know people who are out in the sun all day long and yet could pass for someone 10 or 20 years younger. They don't smoke, however.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Dunno bout you guys, but I can't remember ever having drank or smoked so much that my skin burned red and fell off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Reindeer wrote: »
    Dunno bout you guys, but I can't remember ever having drank or smoked so much that my skin burned red and fell off.

The damage from smoking & drinking takes longer to be noticeable, but that doesn't mean it's not happening...once it's noticeable, it's too late to do anything about it without some serious cosmetic procedures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Ah jaysus. Ya poor oul' eejit. Did you really fall for that one? And did he also tell you that it was as good as three Hail Marys for penance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Is it this guy ? If so,damn :eek:

gMePgLE.jpg

Something dubious about this photo. There are thousands upon thousands of truck drivers driving around in the sun, do they all look like this? I doubt it

Advertisement