Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walled City Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Will they be providing sports drink and/or water on the course? If so - from what mile? (I see that High 5 are sponsoring).

I think there are nine water stops but they have a contingency to have two more depending on the weather. There will also be four High5 gel stops.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

It's been announced that the marathon is now starting at 8:30am and the route has also been changed to avoid the Loanmoor Road. They have taken over the Foyleside East car-park for marathon runners vehicles and they'll have a Park-and-Ride facility to take people across to the race HQ at the Everglades starting at 6:30am on the 2nd June.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Penfailed wrote: »
    It's been announced that the marathon is now starting at 8:30am and the route has also been changed to avoid the Loanmoor Road. They have taken over the Foyleside East car-park for marathon runners vehicles and they'll have a Park-and-Ride facility to take people across to the race HQ at the Everglades starting at 6:30am on the 2nd June.

Is the new route available online Penfailed? If I'm free that morning I'll definitely be going over to the startline to watch. How's your training coming along?

guttenberg wrote: »
    Is the new route available online Penfailed?

You can zoom in and out on this link -

http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=8792F691-CE78-48CF-A7D8C0DCFC952233
    If I'm free that morning I'll definitely be going over to the startline to watch.

As far as I know, the Victoria Road will be closed to all traffic from 7:30 until 9:30.
    How's your training coming along?

I ran 20.7 miles last Sunday, did the Inishowen half marathon yesterday and I'm aiming for 22 miles next Sunday. Only six weeks to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I thought you were meant to stop at 20 miles when training for a marathon?

• Advertisement

Fair play Penfailed, have you ran Fahan Street yet? I'd say that'll be the toughest part. Never realised they made a walkway out the line, must go for a dander someday!

NIMAN wrote: »
    I thought you were meant to stop at 20 miles when training for a marathon?

Some say that, others reckon you should go up to 23/24 miles...I'll stick with 22 :)
    Fair play Penfailed, have you ran Fahan Street yet? I'd say that'll be the toughest part. Never realised they made a walkway out the line, must go for a dander someday!

Haven't done Fahan Street. I've run most of the route on different training runs apart from the first five or so miles and the last couple of miles...and I can't run the section from the Waterfoot towards the Peace Bridge as that bit is still under construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bobtisdall

I know a lot of people are in debt up there but I think it's still called the Lone Moor Road!

bobtisdall wrote: »
    I know a lot of people are in debt up there but I think it's still called the Lone Moor Road!

Haha! My mistake :o

Airtricity are coming in with sponsorship of the race in the next few weeks.

I don't know who your source was but they were wrong. These guys are the sponsors - http://www.sse.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 SJT63

Hi guys,

coming off the back of the Boston Marathon to this one so haven't really been keeping up to date on the logistics, still not sure if I'll actually do it, depends on how the legs react over next couple of weeks.

Because of injury only managed a 6 week "get me round" programme for Boston and had in fact registered for Derry as a back up.

Just picked up on the fact that its now an 8.30 start so am tempted to travel down the night before and stay in an hotel, preferably a very quiet one, any suggestions?

Anyone know where I can get details on registration, where the water/gel stations will be located, road closures etc??

SJT63 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

coming off the back of the Boston Marathon to this one so haven't really been keeping up to date on the logistics, still not sure if I'll actually do it, depends on how the legs react over next couple of weeks.

Because of injury only managed a 6 week "get me round" programme for Boston and had in fact registered for Derry as a back up.

Just picked up on the fact that its now an 8.30 start so am tempted to travel down the night before and stay in an hotel, preferably a very quiet one, any suggestions?

Anyone know where I can get details on registration, where the water/gel stations will be located, road closures etc??

Are you on Facebook? http://www.facebook.com/thederrymarathon?fref=ts

Penfailed, thanks for posting the link to the facebook page, have made a friend request and hoping I can then access all the race info.

Four weeks to go! I ran 22 miles on Sunday morning which will be my longest run to date and also the longest run that I'll be doing prior to the big day. The plan is for 18 next week, 16 the week after and 10/12 the week before the marathon. Once that's done, I might never run again!

Penfailed that sounds like a good plan, 22 miles beforehand is spot on.

I've only gone 12 & 16 since Boston and will probably only go 18,16,10 over the next 3 weekends.

Stayed up in Derry last weekend to get a wee feel for the course, done the first 16 miles Sunday morning and the last 6 on Monday, by the sounds no one will be able to run the section around 18 miles anyway before marathon day as it still under construction!

SJT63 wrote: »
    by the sounds no one will be able to run the section around 18 miles anyway before marathon day as it still under construction!

Yeah, I've heard that it will only open for the marathon and then close again to do the finishing touches (park benches, litter bins, etc.). How was Boston?

Boston was tough all round. Training was limited due to a variety of injuries so was just glad to get over the line, series of rolling hills between mile 16-21, uphill wasn't the problem it was the downhills that absolutely shredded my quads, by the time I got down Heartbreak Hill I was drained with still 5 to go!

But that all became irrelevant after the bombs I was still on Boylston Street in the baggage area when they went off, scary experience to say the least.

Ran 18 this morning and used the gels for the first time. They work! :D

15 miles this morning. Only two weeks to go! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

15 miles this morning. Only two weeks to go! :D

12 miles for me. This is getting real!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well done lads.

Keep her lit as they say :)

Not long now! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Nay bother tae ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bobtisdall

I don't know who your source was but they were wrong. These guys are the sponsors - http://www.sse.co.uk/

SSE wholly owned by Airtricity.

SSE wholly owned by Airtricity.

Fair enough...but Guinness sponsor loads of stuff and no-one says it's Diageo ;)

Two sleeps until marathon day! :eek: Loads of traffic cones have been laid out by the side of the route around the city already. Collected my race pack today. It's all getting very real!

Good luck! I'll be heading over to see the start of it, if it returns next year I'll hopefully be able to do it. This will be some fella on the news last night 105th marathon :eek:

Good luck to all the participants, fair play to ye's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Good luck with the short run lads ;)

Well? How you all do?

And wasn't it amazing that the same guy won the last Derry marathon in 1981 !

How fit is he!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Came in at 4:10 which I was delighted with. It was pretty grim in parts, but the support on the streets was amazing, especially at Fahan Street.

It was a great day for the city, great atmosphere on the streets and the race itself was very well organised. It would we brilliant if this was an annual event. Not sure if I'd be taking part next time though, I think my work is done there!

Advertisement