Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbeth Essays - What's Everyone Covering?

Options
  • 19-05-2013 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭

I haven't looked at Macbeth in any kind of detail since the Mocks and now I have no clue what I need to do. What is everyone covering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Yes! i would also be really interested to know , so far i have only covered
    -kingship
    -downfall of macbeth/ if we feel sympathy for him
    -macbeth and lady macbeth releationship
    -evil vs good

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

All I've really covered are kingship, the relationship between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, and I have a tiny bit (which I don't remember any of) done on the soliloquies function and that kind of stuff.

I'm grand making up an answer for Macbeth on the spot though, so it shouldn't be too troublesome, hopefully!
    I'd love a question on the relationship between the two though - quite an easy question!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    Yes! i would also be really interested to know , so far i have only covered
    -kingship
    -downfall of macbeth/ if we feel sympathy for him
    -macbeth and lady macbeth releationship
    -evil vs good

Pretty much the same, I've one on Duncan's inability to be a strong leader, just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

- Kingship
    - Deception
    - Character of Macbeth
    - Character of Lady Macbeth
    - Relationship between Macbeth & Lady Macbeth
    - Symbolism
    - Role of the Witches & the Supernatural

That should surely be enough I hope!

Apparently the character of Banquo is tipped to come up as it came up a few years ago but was scrapped after the paper two was handed out instead of the paper 1.. 2010 possibly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

"Macbeth has physical courage, but moral weakness, and is subject to excited imaginative fears." Discuss this estimate of Macbeth, quoting freely from the play.

Or

"There is at once a grossness, a horrible reality about the witches, and a mystery and grandeur of evil influence." Discuss, with suitable quotation from the play.

"We find in Macbeth rapidity of movement, great diversity of character, and many spectacular scenes." Discuss this estimate of the play and quote in support of the points you make.

Or

"Lady Macbeth dominates the play up to the murder of Duncan; after that her influence gradually diminishes, while her husband's power for evil grows ever greater." Discuss with relevant quotation from the play.

In Macbeth Shakespeare does not present Macbeth as a mere villain, but succeeds in arousing a measure of sympathy for him. Discuss the character of Macbeth in the light of this statement, supporting your answer by relevant quotation and reference.

Or

In Macbeth the inner self is conveyed, not through the ideas expressed, nor through the actions performed, but by means of an elaborate pattern of imagery and symbolism. Test the truth of this statement by considering any two of the play's characters and the images and symbols associated with them. Support your answer by relevant quotation or reference.

"The Banquo Macbeth has killed is not the innocent soldier who met the witches and scorned their prophecies, nor the man who prayed to be delivered from temptation. He is a man whose principles have been deeply compromised." Discuss this view, supporting the points you make by reference to or quotation from the play.

Or

Discuss the way in which the language of the play Macbeth contributes to the creation of the atmosphere of evil and violence that pervades the play. Support your answer by relevant quotation or reference.

Discuss the course and nature of the resistance to Macbeth's rule in the play. Support your answer by quotation from or reference to the play.

Or

"Kingship, with all its potential for good or evil, is a major theme in the play, Macbeth. Discuss this view, supporting your answer by quotation from or reference to the play.

"We feel very little pity for the central characters of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth in Shakespeare's play." To what extent would you agree with the above view? Support your answer by reference to the play.

Or

"In Macbeth, Shakespeare presents us with a powerful vision of evil."

Write your response to the above statement. Textual support may include reference to a particular performance of the play you have seen.

"Shakespeare's Macbeth invites us to look into the world of a man driven on by ruthless ambition and tortured by regret."

Write a response to this view of the play, Macbeth, supporting the points you make by reference to the text.

Or

"The play Macbeth, has many scenes of compelling drama."

Choose one scene that you found compelling and say why you found it so. Support your answer by reference to the play.

"The relationship between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth undergoes significant change during the course of the play"

Discuss this statement supporting your answer with the aid of suitable reference to the text.

Or

"Essentially the play Macbeth is about power, its use and abuse"

Discuss this view of the play, supporting your answer with the aid of suitable reference to the text.

"Macbeth's murder of Duncan has horrible consequences for both Macbeth himself and for Scotland"

Write a response to this statement. You should refer to the play in your answer.

Or

"Macbeth has all the ingredients of a compelling drama"

Write a response to this statement, commenting on one or more of the ingredients which, in your opinion, make Macbeth a compelling drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

decisions wrote: »

"The Banquo Macbeth has killed is not the innocent soldier who met the witches and scorned their prophecies, nor the man who prayed to be delivered from temptation. He is a man whose principles have been deeply compromised." Discuss this view, supporting the points you make by reference to or quotation from the play.

Or

Discuss the way in which the language of the play Macbeth contributes to the creation of the atmosphere of evil and violence that pervades the play. Support your answer by relevant quotation or reference.

Oh wow, 2 horrible questions that year..!

Looking at all the questions I'm thinking Macbeth, LadyMacbeth, Witches, Banquo, Kingship and Power and I should be fine.

I'm expecting a few curveballs in this paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Ah Banquo's actually fairly easy to get a lot out of if you go deep enough, I wouldn't have thought so but we got given a plethora of notes and there were literally pages detailing his character. Key Notes stuff is good too! I wouldn't be surprised at all if he came up actually, particular if that 2010 P2 thing is true, Macbeth hasn't been up since either.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Might be worth covering Banquo then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭navosa

What sort of stuff would you bring into a question regarding Banquo? I haven't looked at anything along those lines...

navosa wrote: »
    What sort of stuff would you bring into a question regarding Banquo? I haven't looked at anything along those lines...

Well you'd start off by saying how from the start he is linked to Macbeth as before they even enter the stage, Duncan mentions them both in the same sentence. ("Noble Macbeth and Banquo") Then explain that Banquo is there to contrast Macbeth; that is the function of their link.

Next, elaborate on that point by using the witches prophecies for him ("Lesser than Macbeth yet greater etc..") And discuss his reaction to the witches compared to Macbeth's.

The next paragraph will have two options, criticise him for not doing anything after Duncan's murder or discuss how he would have done something had he enough evidence to convict him. Perhaps explore both options if you wish.

I would most definitely discuss his death and how he saved Fleance; showing nobility and honour.

You could also discuss the banquet scene. Is this the Supernatural at play and Banquo has come back to teach Macbeth a lesson? This ambiguity lends itself to discussion in the essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

All of the above are great, but another aspect you can get a lot of mileage out of is that Banquo is also troubled by ambition, yet unlike Macbeth he doesn't embrace it (I can't remember the exact quote but he said something about being haunted by 'cursed thoughts' in his sleep and begs God to restrain him from them), but it really highlights how his character has been compromised and how he in some way succumbs to evil as his silence could point towards him passively paving the future for his descendants.

I'd love a good question on Banquo now that I think of it.:P

Slow Show wrote: »
    All of the above are great, but another aspect you can get a lot of mileage out of is that Banquo is also troubled by ambition, yet unlike Macbeth he doesn't embrace it (I can't remember the exact quote but he said something about being haunted by 'cursed thoughts' in his sleep and begs God to restrain him from them), but it really highlights how his character has been compromised and how he in some way succumbs to evil as his silence could point towards him passively paving the future for his descendants.

Yes, this ^. I meant to elaborate more but that is the criticism that people give Banquo and since I don't agree with it, I always steer clear of it. I do try and mention it then counter it because with Banquo's character, you need to exploit every avenue.
    I would love a question on Banquo. If someone didn't prepare it, they could be considerable thrown I do think but it's a question you just have to take time to look at and it's very manageable. :)

Slow Show wrote: »

Yes, this ^. I meant to elaborate more but that is the criticism that people give Banquo and since I don't agree with it, I always steer clear of it. I do try and mention it then counter it because with Banquo's character, you need to exploit every avenue.
    I would love a question on Banquo. If someone didn't prepare it, they could be considerable thrown I do think but it's a question you just have to take time to look at and it's very manageable. :)

I honestly wasn't planning on preparing a banquo character question i would be very stuck if it came up but you have both made it seem alot easier and gave me some ideas, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

While Macbeth is guilty of an horrific action, it is fair to say Banquo is guilty of a treasonous inaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

One of the head examiners told us they are expecting a question on Banquo. :) They told us something like, "Banquo is an enigmatic character - difficult to interpret and understand at times." could come up. :) They gave us a sample answer for that question, if I can track it down I'll post it!

kevin12345 wrote: »
    One of the head examiners told us they are expecting a question on Banquo. :) They told us something like, "Banquo is an enigmatic character - difficult to interpret and understand at times." could come up. :) They gave us a sample answer for that question, if I can track it down I'll post it!

Hmm interesting , that would be brilliant if you could!thanks :D

kevin12345 wrote: »

That would be such a lovely question. Could they please please do that? :P If you could track it down that would be great because I'd be interested in reading it to see what points they made.
    And not to go off topic but did they mention anything about poetry?

To think of all the juicy quotes and other study I have done for Macbeth, an essay on Banquo seems like such a waste. I wouldn't even get to mention Macbeth's complexity or Lady Macbeth's goading :(

Having said that, if it is flagged to come up, perhaps I should prepare something!

• Advertisement

If Banquo comes up its an easy question once you have it prepared, if you don't have it done I think the other option will be like 87 and it will be horrible.

decisions wrote: »
    If Banquo comes up its an easy question once you have it prepared, if you don't have it done I think the other option will be like 87 and it will be horrible.

If banquo comes up, everyone will do the other question, meaning banquo gets marked a little easier? I am still struggling with the concept of getting 4 pages out of the man though...

"oftentimes to win us to our harm, the instruments of darkness tell us truths, win us with honest trifles to betray us in deepest consequence"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Have a massive feeling something will come up on Macduff or Banquo, probably something to do with their importance in the context of the play or some such. Anyone here learning off the essays in key notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

While Macbeth is guilty of an horrific action, it is fair to say Banquo is guilty of a treasonous inaction.

Banquo is guilty of a type of treasonous inaction by inadvertently acquiescing in Macbeth's unlawful usurpation of the Scottish throne.

If banquo comes up, everyone will do the other question, meaning banquo gets marked a little easier? I am still struggling with the concept of getting 4 pages out of the man though...

"oftentimes to win us to our harm, the instruments of darkness tell us truths, win us with honest trifles to betray us in deepest consequence"

I have an essay here on Banquo which is roughly 1,100 words. Not too hard if I'm being honest.
    thelad95 wrote: »
    Have a massive feeling something will come up on Macduff or Banquo, probably something to do with their importance in the context of the play or some such. Anyone here learning off the essays in key notes?

I don't think I'd be able to handle an essay on Macduff as easily. What points do they make about him in Key Notes?

Macduff would be horrible, I must have a look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Are there essays on their characters in key notes? I'm after loosing mine :(

thelad95 wrote: »

one on macduff would be disastrous surely? Maybe one on the importance of the minor characters could come up?

one on macduff would be disastrous surely? Maybe one on the importance of the minor characters could come up?

If macduff and kingship were to come up I would be royally screwed

• Advertisement

If macduff and kingship were to come up I would be royally screwed

You should have an essay prepared on Kingship, in my opinion.
    5 Paragraphs.
    1. Kingship in historical context; why is it there? Reference the gunpowder plot
    2. Duncan as King, his pros and cons.
    3. King Edward of England and his contrast to Macbeth
    4. Malcolm and his contrast to his father and Macbeth.
    5. Macbeth and his abuse of Kingship.

Advertisement