Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refrigerate After Purchase

Options
  • 17-05-2013 10:19pm
    Site Banned Posts: 124 ✭✭

Why do boxes of eggs come with a label saying "Refrigerate After Purchase"? You buy them off a shelf, so why can't you store them on a shelf after you buy them? Does something happen to them after you purchase them that brings about the need for them to be refrigerated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Why do boxes of eggs come with a label saying "Refrigerate After Purchase"? You buy them off a shelf, so why can't you store them on a shelf after you buy them? Does something happen to them after you purchase them that brings about the need for them to be refrigerated?
    You know how hens sit on eggs to keep them warm? Why do you think they do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Your fridge is an oxygen free zone and eggs need oxygen to begin germination. So if you buy them from the shelf and leave them on your shelf at home there's a good chance a chicken fetus will begin to form.

Didn't you know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I shove eggs up my arse for storage

Your fridge is an oxygen free zone and eggs need oxygen to begin germination. So if you buy them from the shelf and leave them on your shelf at home there's a good chance a chicken fetus will begin to form.

Didn't you know that?
    Germination? It's an egg, not an egg-plant.:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 124 ✭✭The Queen of England

Didn't you know that?

I didn't know that but if that is the case, then why the hell aren't they refrigerated before you purchase them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

If you use eggs within the best before (use by?) there's no need to refrigerate them, unless you like cooking with cold eggs. If you want to use them past that, I'd give yourself a fighting chance by slowing down any aging on the eggs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Didn't you know that?
    How is a fridge an oxygen free zone?

I didn't know that but if that is the case, then why the hell aren't they refrigerated before you purchase them?

Because they're bought that day and changed daily, it's easier to display them on the shelf than in the fridges as the supermarkets would need to buy a lot more refrigerators if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Didn't you know that?

LMAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

You put them in the fridge ro keep them warm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Because its in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Lock yourself into one and see how long you last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

You know that seal that surrounds the fridge door?

That makes it air tight you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Didn't you know that?

how would the fetus form when the egg is infertile

bohsman wrote: »
    You'll be Ok until the OXYGEN runs out. . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Egs r gray. Dey cum n litel shels n evrytin. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Eggs shouldn't be kept in the fridge, they should be at room temperature for cooking with. Even in way hotter countries than ours (France for example), eggs are never refrigerated. It's just some stupid thing people have started doing recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

SamHall wrote: »

As tight as a ducks/hens arse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Eggs need to be kept at a constant temp to keep them fresh.

Because they're bought that day and changed daily,

Supermarkets probably have a high enough turnover of eggs that they can be changed quite frequently, but I doubt it's on a daily basis and it would certainly be a lot longer for small shops. Yet still I have yet to crack open and egg & fry up a chicken fetus for breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Eggs shouldn't be kept in the fridge, they should be at room temperature for cooking with. Even in way hotter countries than ours (France for example), eggs are never refrigerated. It's just some stupid thing people have started doing recently.

In the fridge, out of the fridge....which is it, damnit? I eat a LOT of feckin' eggs and have at least 12 on the go in my fridge at any one time....:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

This is why.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumugam/2012/10/25/why-american-eggs-would-be-illegal-in-a-british-supermarket-and-vice-versa/

Another important distinction between European eggs and American eggs is how they are stored, and this ultimately leads back to the question of egg-washing.

Go to buy eggs in Britain, France or Italy and you’ll find them sitting on an unrefrigerated shelf, often near the baking supplies in an aisle in the middle of the store. Head to an American supermarket however, and eggs are always held in refrigerated units, like milk and cheese and other dairy products.

EU law actually stipulates that eggs “ should in general not be refrigerated before sale to the final consumer.” The regulations explain how “cold eggs left out at room temperature may become covered in condensation facilitating the growth of bacteria on the shell and probably their ingression into the egg.” Hence if a consumer picked up a carton of chilled eggs then transported them home in the car, the change in temperature would cause the eggs to sweat.

With precisely this scenario in mind, EU regulators considered it more judicious to maintain eggs in an ambient environment that resembles a “cool” room temperature from lay to shelf. In the UK, guidance set out by the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers recommends supermarkets maintain a temperature of between 66.2°F to 69.8°F in the winter and between 69.8°F and 73.4°F in the summer. Room temperature is generally considered to be between 68°F to 77°F.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

How does it work when the door is open? :confused:

Supermarkets probably have a high enough turnover of eggs that they can be changed quite frequently, but I doubt it's on a daily basis and it would certainly be a lot longer for small shops. Yet still I have yet to crack open and egg & fry up a chicken fetus for breakfast.

If you've ever worked in a supermarket you'd know the rotation they do, it's definitely changed daily. If you want to experiment buy some tomorrow and leave them on a shelf for a week.

If you've ever worked in a supermarket you'd know the rotation they do, it's definitely changed. If you want to experiment buy some tomorrow and leave them on a shelf for a week.

I've never kept eggs in the fridge. They go in a bowl beside the fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

bohsman wrote: »

be right back...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Are you familiar with the concept of a door?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Cold eggs are not good for baking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ok just to put this to bed, I've worked in a stores in a chef college abroad (hot country).. You store stuff the way you find it in the shops..

Keep eggs in cupboard, quit being a pussy op you won't die...

eggs are unfertilised..

There is oxygen in a fridge you numpty.. If a tree falls in a fridge you will hear it make a sound (it's not a vacuum, which does not contain any oxygen)

Egg shells are permiable, dont store them near fish like they do in a Dunnes I know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I hop into my Landrover each morning and head down the land to where my brood of hens have hatched their eggs. Like to rustle up a simple breakfast of huevos rancheros served up with fresh bread just out of the Aga. So simple and easy to prepare. More than four hours out of the oviduct and it doesn't matter where you store your eggs.

Advertisement