Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Environmentalism! Remember that carry on?

Options
  • 14-05-2013 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭

This used to be the preserve of 'hippies' and new age oddballs and other groups of eh, smelly people you ignored but during the Celtic Tiger it was starting to grab hold in the mainstream before quickly dieing a death when the monster that is the economy needed to be fed again when the recession started.

For a while it used to be popular to begrudge people or otherwise have a go at them for owning a SUV because of the perceived fuel wastage of driving one of those. So environmentalism provided a convenient stick to bate people better off than yourself but also on the flip side it allowed people living very wasteful lifestyles to feel better about themselves too. They could do carbon offsetting which means you pay some clever entrepreneur's company a few bob and they use some of it to buy some lad in Thailand a shiny new Honda GX-35 engine for his tuk-tuk and replace the old, polluting 2-stroke. The company pockets the rest.

When the Green Party got into power they surely helped to bring environmentalism out of favour as they used just about every environmental problem as an excuse to extort money from ordinary people to put it into the hands of the Government or else shovel-ready pork-barrel projects. Car scrappage scheme, mandatory BER certs, new lower tax for post-08 cars, subsidies for solar panels, septic tank inspections. These were all nice little earners for whoever the Greens and FF were looking out for.

The subsidies were never worth it anyway as an ordinary individual, they were just an excuse for the government to give money to certain "registered installers" and the government would get the money back off you in the long run. If you had a company with a big wind farm you could probably milk them indefinitely but a normal individual always gets screwed in the end. In Belgium they are now looking at charging a €200 annual tax on people who have solar panels so I'm sure that will make its way over here. Things that start off in mainland Europe, good or bad are considered as progress over here.

I'm glad the Greens are gone because some of the stuff the more extreme environmental nuts have downright scary ideas like forcing people to live in cities because they think living in the countryside uses too much resources and putting ridiculous property tax on houses they deem too big or too hard to heat. At least these nuts will have nobody in Government who will listen to them. There were also alarmist mad scientists who insisted that if we didn't build a supermassive sprinkler system in the Atlantic to spray water into the air we'd all be DOOMED before long or that we are inches away from the global warming "point of no return" where the planet irreversibly heats up to boiling point and beyond.

So what started off as hippies wanting to save the whales eventually just became an excuse for taxing people or taking their money through a government supported private company and restricting their behaviour. It is a shame really because I would be interested in clean energy technology and what have you but not the gobshite political movement that follows it. As soon as you mention solar panels now to someone they think of some jumped up young lad landing up to the front door with shiny brochures and promises of subsidies, trying to get them to part with their money

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Who do you expect to read all that ****e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

The name has it - Enviro Mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

What I want to know is where the hell is all this Global Warming they promised us!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

taytothief wrote: »
    Who do you expect to read all that ****e?

tayto lover

• Site Banned Posts: 124 ✭✭The Queen of England

I once made a hat out of dried cow poo. I called it "The Pat Hat".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Is this just a rant to try and defend yourself for that time you were caught sh*tting in a river?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

No wonder your nickname is ****bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Good post OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

Nice trolling there. I'd give it an eight out of ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

1865 wrote: »
    Nice trolling there. I'd give it an eight out of ten.

I wouldn't.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

dan boyle doesn't know what to tweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I read as far as 'This'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

When the Green Party got into power they surely helped to bring environmentalism out of favour as they used just about every environmental problem as an excuse to extort money from ordinary people to put it into the hands of the Government or else shovel-ready pork-barrel projects. Car scrappage scheme, mandatory BER certs, new lower tax for post-08 cars, subsidies for solar panels, septic tank inspections. These were all nice little earners for whoever the Greens and FF were looking out for.
    Wow! Surprise surprise that governments would use dream up of any excuse to extort money from the population. Property tax instead anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

The Green Party- a great bunch of lads shitehawks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

To be fair, something should be done. But I guess they see it as taxing us will save the world and make them a few quid. Its the BS ideas they have that annoy me though. They want us all to drive electric cars....powered by burning peat bogs!! Stupidity! Lets all scrap our perfect cars and replace them with a brand new toyota prius made of 2 tonnes of acid batteries! Where is the logic!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

Ya, bloody environmentalism and the Greens. Who did they think they were, trying to bring in proper planning laws and trying to forward policies which would help stop the world going down the sh!tter?
    Thank God we can go back to the same consumption attitude we had previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

This used to be the preserve of 'hippies' and new age oddballs and other groups of eh, smelly people you ignored but during the Celtic Tiger it was starting to grab hold in the mainstream before quickly dieing a death when the monster that is the economy needed to be fed again when the recession started.

It was "starting to grab hold"?

Lets check that...

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/pubs/pdf/eurobarometer/factsheets/EB752%20FS%20ENV%20IE%20(EN).pdf
    • 72% of Irish people feel the Government is not doing enough to use natural resources efficiently
    • 1% of Irish people feel the Government is doing too much to use natural resources efficiently
    • 94% of Irish people identify the environment as being personally important to them
    • 70% of Irish people say they will be prepared to spend more to secure environmentally friendly products.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Lets check that...

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/pubs/pdf/eurobarometer/factsheets/EB752%20FS%20ENV%20IE%20(EN).pdf
    • 72% of Irish people feel the Government is not doing enough to use natural resources efficiently
    • 1% of Irish people feel the Government is doing too much to use natural resources efficiently
    • 94% of Irish people identify the environment as being personally important to them
    • 70% of Irish people say they will be prepared to spend more to secure environmentally friendly products.

People are genuinely concerned,it's the enviromentalists with their wacky ideas and dire predictions that put people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

kneemos wrote: »
    People are genuinely concerned,it's the enviromentalists with their wacky ideas and dire predictions that put people off.
    Most of the "dire predictions" don't come from the environmentalists but rather the sensationalist media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Lets check that...

In fairness I'm all for green issues. Would absolutely never vote green though. Not ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The reason environmentalism appears to have disappeared is because it's now mainstream. It's no longer cool, it just makes bloody sense.

Climate change is an issue, but tbh there's fnck all we can do about it here in Ireland. We're relatively low-polluting, and so long as the smoke belching behemoths of the USA and China continue to ignore environmental concerns, then getting an extra 1% efficiency out of your gas boiler is about as effective as using a sieve to clean up the atlantic.

Major concern at the moment though is bees. Yes, that's right, bees. The importance of bees to our existence really cannot be underestimated. Practically all animal life, including us, is dependent on the existence of plants. And a huge proportion of those plants are dependent on bees to procreate.

No bees, means a huge proportion of plants disappear, which means we disappear too. Now, we could probably figure it out for a little while, plants seeds ourselves, come up with ways of spreading pollen sans bees. But we can't do it all. Over time as more and more plant species die off, the ecological systems of which they are an integral part start to break down and we get less and less return for more and more effort in growing crops. Food prices skyrocket and food shortages abound.

There's a lot of noise recently about Monsanto. Usually when you hear the name, it's a conspiracy theory, but in this case it's just a plain old ignorance theory. That is, in Monsanto's relentless pursuit of profit, they have inadvertently, or perhaps just because they don't care, caused a massive drop in the numbers of bees in North America. The bee populations around the world, but most noticeably in north america have been steadily plummeting for years now, but we haven't really been able to put our finger on it. It seems that pesticides used on crops are apparently killing the bees.

Yes, organic food is small, expensive and goes off quickly, but it would appear that there's actually a good reason for buying organic beyond some vague hippy crap about pesticides poisoning you or mind control.

It's also worth pointing out that environmentalism isn't so much about "saving the trees" for the sake of it. Even if we were to wipe ourselves off the planet along with half of the other species, in 100 million years the planet will be lush and plentiful again and we'll not even be a footnote in geology. Any new evolution of sentient species or passing alien craft will never even know we were here.

Environmentalism is about saving the planet for our sake. If we **** it up, we die, and we're gone. Game Over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Anthropogenic climate change
    Ozone depletion (thankfully this is now being stabilised and reversed)
    Loss of biodiversity we didn't even know we had
    Deforestation
    Persistant Organic Pollutants in the human breast milk.

These are all real concerns, much as the OP would like to scoff at them.

If something hadn't been done about ozone depleting substances, by 2050 we'd have seen tens of millions more cataracts and skin cancers in humans, not to mention the harm to plants and animals. Thankfully, this is one of the few global environmental problems that has been properly addressed.

Climate change has the potential to disrupt whole nations, economies, environments and societies.

Do we really want to ignore these problems because they're not fashion of the month?

Anthropogenic climate change
    Ozone depletion (thankfully this is now being stabilised and reversed)
    Loss of biodiversity we didn't even know we had
    Deforestation
    Persistant Organic Pollutants in the human breast milk.

These are all real concerns, much as the OP would like to scoff at them.

If something hadn't been done about ozone depleting substances, by 2050 we'd have seen tens of millions more cataracts and skin cancers in humans, not to mention the harm to plants and animals. Thankfully, this is one of the few global environmental problems that has been properly addressed.

Climate change has the potential to disrupt whole nations, economies, environments and societies.

Do we really want to ignore these problems because they're not fashion of the month?

Oyone levels are cyclical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Spurtacus

I strolled into the green issue/environmental forum around here once.
    The big debate centred around having more than one bin companies working your estate outweighs any benefit of recycling in the first place due to extra diesel usage involved.
    I look forward to the day when something like that can be high up on my agenda.

Green issues found that god shaped hole left by secularisation, people crave guilt & need to be admonished by a higher power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

didnt see that one, was that the one before up the kyber pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Spurtacus wrote: »
    Green issues found that god shaped hole left by secularisation, people crave guilt & need to be admonished by a higher power.

This seems like a bit of a leap. Environmentalism is definitely a luxury of the West, but I'm not sure about the God bit...

Spurtacus wrote: »
    I strolled into the green issue/environmental forum around here once.
    The big debate centred around having more than one bin companies working your estate outweighs any benefit of recycling in the first place due to extra diesel usage involved.
    I look forward to the day when something like that can be high up on my agenda.

Better recycled than dumped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

kneemos wrote: »
    Oyone levels are cyclical.

Meh. And single sentence responses are rarely helpful.

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/science/process.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

One of my great 'Celtic Tiger' era memories was driving a classic Mercedes petrol-guzzler with huge emissions and a noisy engine past former Green Party minister Eamon Ryan as he cycled along in the pouring rain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Spurtacus

Zillah wrote: »
    This seems like a bit of a leap. Environmentalism is definitely a luxury of the West, but I'm not sure about the God bit...

Perhaps I went a tad far, I'm neither a fan of environmentalism nor religion but I see a need in people to be led, green issues rose on the agenda during the affluence of the Celtic Tiger & the growth in secularisation.

Advertisement