Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Light Nigthclub (aka Heaven)

Options
  • 09-04-2013 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

So this weekend has apparently seen the last of Dublin 15's most (in)famous late night spot. But what's the deal? Is it curtains for good? Has the Light been permanently shut off? Or is this a strategic ploy to start up a reboot and re-branding of the venue we seemingly have or have had a love/hate relationship with?

What would you like to see done with the place originally known as West, and more famously, Heaven?

What are/were your opinions of it in any of its incarnations?

Any chat, ideas or discussion welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭jeffk

Go back to West, but then I suppose you wont get half of the things that helped make West is best.

A pub that became a nightclub, no entrance fees(I know that changed towards the end)
    Sound staff and bouncers
    Almost always full of people you knew from going each week
    Under the big screen behind the couch was the cloakroom and I don’t remember many or an items going missing or being “lost”, unlike the official cloakroom
    KFC stayed open after West closed

But then I think maybe it was right place/time, the country wasn’t in a heap and everyone had money and weren’t afraid to spend it. Mind you €5 for a pint of Smirnoff ice was still hard to pay(showing my age)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I was in it once for about 10 mins, there was no atmosphere, no were to sit, it was so garish and the price of a drink was very over priced, esp it is not city center.
    Not surprised it has closed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I remember when it was still West, getting a half day from work when Ireland were in the World Cup (not a clue which one, lol) and going there in all our greens to watch the match on the big screen, we were there for the day. It was a brilliant day. We used to go there a lot when it was West and maybe twice or three times when it was Heaven but we were nearly too old to be seen there at that stage :D You'd always see people you knew from back in school though, good laugh. Pity it all went downhill, the worst thing they ever did was black up all the windows that they had, made it look like a dungeon inside (IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭duke916

miamee wrote: »
    Pity it all went downhill, the worst thing they ever did was black up all the windows that they had, made it look like a dungeon inside (IMO)

My thoughts exactly. I used to love West. Was there most weekends for a period of about a year. The place was run well, people came from all over and it was the 'in' place to be at the time. So much better than having to trek into the city for a night out. Once it reopened and there was no windows i thought straight away 'dodgy hole!'. Sure enough i had a visit not so long ago and wasnt surprised by its dark, grotty and almost too much an edgy atmosphere. After paying €10 admission fee I had half a bottle of beer with a friend and we left. Glad to see it gone and scum that surrounded it.

Unless they make it a fancy restaurant or something to that effect then I think its always goin to remain a hole as a club if reopened as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Did Chasers in Dunboyne do it much damage patron wise? It was still majorly popular with 18-late 20's from 2005-2010 iirc.

Their beach party was pretty cool and left me with many fond memories. In the end, they just start letting all sorts of tramps in and that became its downfall IMO.

As an aside, did Ice (or Slice) ever do a good trade in D15? If so, what years etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Damage was caused by the greyhound and salmons no cc and drink promotions open till 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Wils110 wrote: »
    Damage was caused by the greyhound and salmons no cc and drink promotions open till 3

excuse my ignorance but what does cc stand for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

triple-M wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance but what does cc stand for?

Cover charge :)

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Cover charge :)
    thanks I was thinking credit card :D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Omackeral wrote: »
    As an aside, did Ice (or Slice) ever do a good trade in D15? If so, what years etc?

[queue nostalgia]

I can't comment on recent times but I would have frequented the venue the odd time when it was called Frenchies back in the mid 90's, it packed them in back then. Mind you, it was a dive and was way down the list of places to go of an evening - select clientele of the time would frequent The End and The County Club, Frenchies was the place to go if you got refused elsewhere!

[/end nostalgia]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

It's a pity Light closed... I know it was probably the most appealling of places for all but it was great to decide at the last minute on a saturday that ya fancied a dance and could stroll over there..... now it's pretty much into town for that.

Shame.

[queue nostalgia]

I can't comment on recent times but I would have frequented the venue the odd time when it was called Frenchies back in the mid 90's, it packed them in back then. Mind you, it was a dive and was way down the list of places to go of an evening - select clientele of the time would frequent The End and The County Club, Frenchies was the place to go if you got refused elsewhere!

[/end nostalgia]

Thanks for the info! What/where was The End?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Think it was in Phoenix Park racecourse

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Gaspode wrote: »
    Think it was in Phoenix Park racecourse

You're right it was in the Phoenix Park Racecourse in one of the old stand buildings if I remember correctly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I frequented it a bit back in the days when I had hair, disposable income and a social life!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭dodzy

.... when I had hair
    Ah yes, the fond memories !:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I frequented it a bit back in the days when I had hair, disposable income and a social life!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

glad its gone and people that came with it!! it was full of the same pathetic people that went every week

but now all the those dopes are now in the greyhound

A V A wrote: »
    glad its gone and people that came with it!! it was full of the same pathetic people that went every week

And you know this because you were also there every week??

• Advertisement

Sadderday wrote: »
    And you know this because you were also there every week??

theres a little thing called facebook or twitter or instagram ,dont know weather you've heard of them??but people are able to put up status's and pictures etc :)

theres a little thing called facebook or twitter or instagram ,dont know weather you've heard of them??but people are able to put up status's and pictures etc :)

So while all those pathetic people are put dancing on a saturday night, you're checking your facebook, twitter or instagram??

what's worse? :)

The place was a kip I agree!, But I frequented it as a local spot for a dance and often met people there that visited every week.... I don't think it's necessary to use the term pathetic to describe the majority of clientele

Sadderday wrote: »
    So while all those pathetic people are put dancing on a saturday night, you're checking your facebook, twitter or instagram??

what's worse? :)

The place was a kip I agree!, But I frequented it as a local spot for a dance and often met people there that visited every week.... I don't think it's necessary to use the term pathetic to describe the majority of clientele

yeah thats how pathetic they are, posting pictures on social networking site while they are out on a night out :) how pathetic ;)

yeah thats how pathetic they are, posting pictures on social networking site while they are out on a night out :) how pathetic ;)

ah, that's just the 21st century for ya

Excuse the pun but is the Greyhound dog-rough nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭EI2011

was not a huge fan of the place but the bouncers were very sound if they knew your face so pre drinking a heap load was never an issue. well better than the greyhound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Alot of lads drinking in the local pubs are saying it will be back open soon.......this is a complete rumour I heard while down the bell Sunday there's a Leinster player interested in taking over the place

i heard its being turned into a sports bar or a bistro

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

I think the best place outside M50 ring is ARC in Lucan.
    They have 3 Euro all pints 10-12pm - THAT's BARGAIN!!
    The crowd is a bit youngster, but not agressive like it was in Light,
    food great, music trendy.

• Advertisement

heard "purple monkey dishwasher"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement