Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defiance

Options
  • 06-04-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Anyone playing this? Surprised not to see a thread about it already.

There's a lot of promise with this game. The story based quests are a different approach to most MMO's, and the enemies are interesting. Kinda reminds me of the Fallout games.

The weapons/loot are interesting, but not well balanced at the moment 2-shot Shotguns are useless and BMG's are fun (chain damage to enemies and self-shield regen as alt fire), but they are too weak to be effective.

The UI isn't quite great yet and the controls for vehicles are annoying. And, trying to enter the larger vehicles is a pain at first (you have to stand beside the left hand side door!)

It also took about a day to download the game due to very poor server transfer speeds. Patching is getting faster though.

It's odd in that there are a lot of faults...really annoying ones, yet this game is still 'fun'...at least for now. I'm about 20 hours in and still have that 'just 1 more hour' feeling when playing...at 4am.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Actually watched a vid from TB this morning on it :)
    Looks pretty interesting I have to say, might give it a shot sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Anyone playing this? Surprised not to see a thread about it already.

There's a lot of promise with this game. The story based quests are a different approach to most MMO's, and the enemies are interesting. Kinda reminds me of the Fallout games.

The weapons/loot are interesting, but not well balanced at the moment 2-shot Shotguns are useless and BMG's are fun (chain damage to enemies and self-shield regen as alt fire), but they are too weak to be effective.

The UI isn't quite great yet and the controls for vehicles are annoying. And, trying to enter the larger vehicles is a pain at first (you have to stand beside the left hand side door!)

It also took about a day to download the game due to very poor server transfer speeds. Patching is getting faster though.

It's odd in that there are a lot of faults...really annoying ones, yet this game is still 'fun'...at least for now. I'm about 20 hours in and still have that 'just 1 more hour' feeling when playing...at 4am.

yep, posted a thread about in mmo a few days ago :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056917019

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

sh*t marketing on this game, never heard of it up until 2 days ago, tempted to give it a try alright

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

A friend of mine got it. It's pretty fun. He even let me borrow the disc, I was able to get all the annoying downloads out of the way, as well as the tutorial.

Picking it up tomorrow and I can dive right in. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Make sure you have a good gaming PC. Most older PC's will die during Arkfall events (20+ players, lots of mobs, and gun/grenade effects = heart attack for older graphic cards.)

• Advertisement

Make sure you have a good gaming PC. Most older PC's will die during Arkfall events (20+ players, lots of mobs, and gun/grenade effects = heart attack for older graphic cards.)

Try not to faint. Im running it on xbox. So far its great.

Got to love when an accidental convoy of 40 or so rolls out, only to find out you are on the same mission. Those poor mutants. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Is this released (xbox) as of today? Why are there no reviews anywhere?

pH wrote: »
    Is this released (xbox) as of today? Why are there no reviews anywhere?

I dont know about PC or Playstation but the Xbox release was Tuesday.
    The marketing was atrocious for it. I only know of it through a friend that discovered it by accident.

Pretty good so far, Im loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I dont know about PC or Playstation but the Xbox release was Tuesday.
    The marketing was atrocious for it. I only know of it through a friend that discovered it by accident.

Pretty good so far, Im loving it.

Really cant understand why there was no marketing done for this, wondering if its the same situation across the pond and maybe they are focusing all their marketing there to coincide with the TV show, which obviously we wont be getting for a while.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The TV show will probably have a ton of marketing built in.

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    The TV show will probably have a ton of marketing built in.

True but when are we likely to see the show on our tv screens? 6months? a year? I know its syfy but i dont have much hope, and makes the whole thing a bit ridiculous for anyone playing outside the states as the biggest innovation the game is touting is that by playing you will affect the show. Whats the point in affecting a show you wont legally be able to watch and if you did watch it at the same timeframe the show producers would call you a pirate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

VinLieger wrote: »
    True but when are we likely to see the show on our tv screens? 6months? a year? I know its syfy but i dont have much hope, and makes the whole thing a bit ridiculous for anyone playing outside the states as the biggest innovation the game is touting is that by playing you will affect the show. Whats the point in affecting a show you wont legally be able to watch and if you did watch it at the same timeframe the show producers would call you a pirate.

It's starting the 16th of this month here.

VinLieger wrote: »

Yeah they released the first 15 mins of the show recently, haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Try not to faint. Im running it on xbox. So far its great.

Got to love when an accidental convoy of 40 or so rolls out, only to find out you are on the same mission. Those poor mutants. :D

Might get this for PS3 later. So far so good on the xbox yeah?

Deano7788 wrote: »
    It's starting the 16th of this month here.

Sorry just assumed it would run the normal way, my bad.
    Surpriseing and also good to see though, i will deffinitely be watching it so

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Put about 8 hours into the ps3 beta afew weeks back. i was bored silly by the end.. tbh, it got boring and repetitive around 4 or 5 hours in, and even then at best, it was meh.., i only played longer to see if it got any better.... idk, it just felt like a budget title with god awful story and meh gameplay, only theres a bunch of other players running around playing the campaign aswell in the same space your in,... and no one, not one person on ps3 had a mic or tryed to communicate with each other.
    the whole mmo thing and "tied in with a tv show", is only a gimmick wrapped around a 5/10 game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

They just had an advertisement for this before the United v City game

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I like this a lot. It's in bits right now, but it's still enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

Hmm, I'm tempted by this. I was going to pick up Borderlands 2, but the idea of Borderlands lite in an MMO appeals (especially as I can pick it up from Amazon for $30 with a promo code). There seems to be very mixed views on it, judging from metacritic.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Might get this for PS3 later. So far so good on the xbox yeah?

Yeah it is quite entertaining so far. I found a shotgun that fires electrified slugs.
    So far I have not found even a rocket launcher that does more damage.
    Im an overly aggressive outlaw with a dune buggy. :D

• Advertisement

My advice is to wait a bit. There are soo many bugs at the moment (stuff that shouldn't have made it through Alpha testing...like the stats on items in vendors being totally wrong).

It's a very enjoyable game, but don't go into it expecting an MMO. It's more like a single player game that has some coop bits. It'll be much better in a few patches and when the TV show airs (there's some link between the tv show and new game content).

Oh and good luck if you need support. It seems terrible and the Devs have poor interaction with players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

is it always online or can you play offline?
    if its always on mmo type game is their any pvp at all?

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    is it always online or can you play offline?
    if its always on mmo type game is their any pvp at all?

Always online. Yes there is PVP.

First ep of the tv show was out last night. Was watchable, but suffers from poor cgi. Great to hear some more bear mccreary. Afaik the first episode mission became non- playable with the release of the episode, to tie in the with the show.

I've completed all main quests, all side missions and about 3 dozen Arkfalls. I have the best vehicle, weapons and mods. And all this in about 70 hours.

Oh, and I had a ton of EGO points which weren't spent as there is no point. You can spend them on passive bonuses, but can only have a set number of these active at any one time. You end of being able to 'buy' and fully upgrade twice as many as you can actually use.

This isn't a true MMO. It's a long single player game with some infrequent optional coop content.

It reminds me of Borderlands 1, but without the humour or decent special abilities.

Still good fun, with interesting and hard enemies. But it's missing something...it's not innovative and you really don't give a damn about the story or characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I've completed all main quests, all side missions and about 3 dozen Arkfalls. I have the best vehicle, weapons and mods. And all this in about 70 hours.

Oh, and I had a ton of EGO points which weren't spent as there is no point. You can spend them on passive bonuses, but can only have a set number of these active at any one time. You end of being able to 'buy' and fully upgrade twice as many as you can actually use.

This isn't a true MMO. It's a long single player game with some infrequent optional coop content.

It reminds me of Borderlands 1, but without the humour or decent special abilities.

Still good fun, with interesting and hard enemies. But it's missing something...it's not innovative and you really don't give a damn about the story or characters.

This.
    There's just something missing, there's no real joy when you finish a mission. i find myself spending most of my time driving round and like a headless chicken and having random battles for 50% of the game.
    The arkfalls are pointless.

Decent game and i'll play it for a while longer yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It would be great if there was some giant DLC with more Shadow War type stuff and much harder co-op missions coming out. There probably will, but for now, it's a decent game, alright.

I caved and picked it up last weekend despite MMOs not holding my attention anymore. If I get 70 hours out of it I'll be very happy. I'm also curious to see how it ties in with the show, but I'm not expecting much.

Just after watching the first episode and loved it, so I'm thinking of getting this for the PC. Not a big fan of MMO games and as such I'm cautious. From everything I've seen and read this looks to be more like a single player that has a few missions where you may need to be online with other players to accomplish, sort of like Borderlands and if that's the case I'll happily grab it. But if it's like WoW then I have no interest in it. So is it the former or the latter? And anyone know the best price for PC?

• Advertisement

I would liken it more to playing Borderlands with the option of grouping up for big events, which suits me fine. Essentially a single player game if you want it.

I picked it up off G2play, use G2COMPARE for 5% off (you may need to register). The price fluctuates by a few € on their site.

Advertisement