Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harmony Korine's Spring Breakers

Options
  • 04-04-2013 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

Korine's a very interesting filmmaker. Although those expecting a Project X type movie will likely disappointed. I've heard this film is so much more interesting than the marketing will lead you to believe, just one to definitely go in to with an open mind. ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The early reviews I've seen have been positive, and the trailer at least exudes enough style that even if it's a friday-night-brain-at-door affair, it should at least be an entertaining one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Looking forward to this one big time, love his films.

It's clearly satire though - it's definitely not a brains-at-the-door affair.

Gummo is showing tonight at the IFI, would love to see it on the big screen, but I won't be able to make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Yeah the fact that's playing the IFI/Lighthouse should be proof that it's not gonna be just a dumb party movie.

Spring-Breakers-Worst3.jpg

An arthouse film in disguise then, I'm in. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I dont know those people. For all I know they love films that I'd consider complete two-flushers, so I won't take their opinion seriously.

There are certain people whose opinions I value, but none of them are randomers on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,960 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I thought Gummo was very interesting, and I'm interested in seeing this, but I'm a bit concerned that I'd be seen as a dirty old man, since I typically go to movies by myself! :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,834 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Because all the marketing material has been sure to highlight the likes of Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens in bikinis? :D

And going by those tweets, I don't think I'd take the word of a Bieber fan.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm kind of interested to see this.

The people who are disappointed with it seem to be people who seemed to be expecting some sort of teen comedy type thing.

A lot of reviews seem confused by it. They can't say whether they actually liked it or not. This review for example http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/spring-breakers/25089/spring-breakers-and-the-problem-with-film-reviews

Makes me want to see it for myself.

Fysh wrote: »
    I dont know those people. For all I know they love films that I'd consider complete two-flushers, so I won't take their opinion seriously.

There are certain people whose opinions I value, but none of them are randomers on Twitter.

I never understood why people post up images of twitter comments when discussing a film. Random strangers opinions mean nothing to me, which I suppose is ironic considering that boards is full of random strangers opinions.

I was at the cinema a few weeks back and met a friend and his girlfriend. They were heading to see some random rom-com and when I said that I was heading to see Cloud Atlas his girlfriend chipped in to say that she had seen a tweet that it was a piece of crap and that I should save my money and see something else. She mentioned the person who tweeted and I had no idea who she was talking about, turns out that it was someone from some show called Geordie Shore which is not as I had hopped a show about Geordi La Forge opening a surf shop. Really kind of sad to think that educated people (she's studying science in NUIG) would not only watch such utter crap but actually think that opinion of the participants was worthy advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,238 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

James Franco as a Lil Wayne wannabe drug dealer could be good :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'm a slut for a harmony korine film! Can't wait for it :D

• Advertisement

I wasn't taking those twitter comments seriously. They were from an article about people going to the movie expecting the wrong thing entirely.

Anyway I saw the film earlier. Still a little flabbergasted but I was really wowed by it at the same time. Think some strange combination between Drive, Enter the Void, Project X and a Terrence Malick movie. It's a really draining, overwhelming experience but it's definitely to the film's benefit. I'm still pretty amazed that a Harmony Korine film is playing in screen 1 of The Savoy, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    James Franco as a Lil Wayne wannabe drug dealer could be good :P

Riff Raff, not Lil Wayne.

RiffRaff620-x-400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Mad to see this since I heard about it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭HerbSimpson

I saw this today and did not enjoy it at all unfortunately, I found the characters were totally flat and there was almost no plot.

The only positive for me was James Franco who played his part very well

In fairness it doesn't even try to be about plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Has it had a limited release? No sign of it in any Cork cinema..

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭HerbSimpson

I saw it in the IFI but it seems to have a fairly wide release from what I can see. I can't say that it was a terrible movie just that I didn't enjoy it.

I was trying to understand what the movie was trying to say so was having a look online and found an AMA (ask me anything)on reddit from the director, I'm none the wiser, some of his replies are bizarre.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1at6kp/im_harmony_director_of_spring_breakers_ama/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Meh, a lot of the film feels like an extended music video. I read it as an exercise in taking the bad aspects of youth excess to an extreme. The main characters get their dreams and fantasies realised to the full extent, and each get to drop out when they've crossed their personal threshold. There are never any real lasting consequences to be faced.

People should know that plot and standard dialogue is thin on the ground. It is very well shot with a wonderful dream like quality but ultimately I thought the underlying message wasn't substantial enough. None of it was particularly interesting to me.

James Franco's performance is very interesting, and Hugdens and Gomez achieve their clear objectives out of proceedings. If you like the director, are in the mood for something different or are simply curious - sure, go see it. If you like your films straight up this should definitely be avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

In fairness, a lot of korines films are about teenager excess. Kids being the leading example.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In fairness, a lot of korines films are about teenager excess. Kids being the leading example.

No, I know. No real insight or new ground covered in this film though tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

The trailer wouldn't really be calling out to me, to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thought it was very often a beautifully made, engrossing film, albeit one that was a tad uneven. While some of the film's more memorable sequences come in the second half, it was the first forty minutes or so that I felt offered the strongest, most hypnotic film-making. The Terence Malick comparison isn't off the mark, albeit with neon soaked visuals, endless debauchery and much more nudity. There's a dreamlike feel to it, aesthetically rich and scored to a intense, dynamic soundtrack (constantly eerily punctuated by gunshots). Indeed, the audiovisual language of the film - reliant on echoes, recurrences and foreshadowing - is simply wonderful, and it's a flawlessly edited piece of work. Sorry, To The Wonder, this is easily the most vibrantly crafted film I've seen thus far this year.

When the film becomes more concerned with plot following Franco's entrance, I felt it took a bit of a tonal shift and didn't quite retain the dreamy atmosphere of what came before. Not to say it isn't engaging - it still looks & sounds gorgeous, and there's some brilliantly weird setpieces
    (the Cribs rip-off and the Britney Spears montage are some of the best cinematic moments of the year
    ). But some of the feud stuff is dare I suggest a little dull, and it is fairly predictable where the film is going. For a film whose presentation is so spectacularly jarring, the content probably isn't as provocative as it thinks it is. The narrative decision t
    o have characters return home once their limit was reached was a smart one, though, especially when it came to Gomez who was being groomed as our central protagonist. Her complete departure was the right move.

The film's relatively straightforward themes of excess and the American Dream runamuck are examined with tongue happily in cheek, and Franco's performance is hilariously off-the-wall. While some will undoubtedly find sections repetitive, IMO it all came together to craft a largely bewitching experience. Even if the plot is purposefully thin and the whole thing an exercise in draining, overwhelming excess, it's the kind of unmissable 'cinema' experience you're lucky to get once a year. The film's mood demands to be experienced in darkness of a theatre, and how wonderful that it has managed to sneak into multiplexes and hopefully catch many by surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

how wonderful that it has managed to sneak into multiplexes and hopefully catch many by surprise.

When I went, there was an old woman with a cane in the front row, accompanied by someone who appeared to be her carer. Presumably a lady who can't get out much being brought out to the pics for the evening. She was still there when the final credits rolled; fair play to her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Terrible, Selena '4/10' Gomez offers nothing, the only good things are Vanessa Hudgens and some Franco moments, just too weird of a movie.

I finally got a chance to see this and really enjoyed it. I'd agree with pretty much everything johnny_ultimate posted above.

I felt that a couple of the dreamier sequences dragged slightly, but at the same time I suspect that was intentional given that part of the film's theme seemed to be the uniformity and relative banality of the festivities with which most of the Spring Breakers are concerned. I could have done with
    the Britney Spears sequence being a bit shorter, but that's probably because I don't much like the song; I will admit that the imagery of the three girls wearing bikinis and pink balaclavas, dancing with rifles, was enjoyably weird

Overall, though, I thought it achieved what it was trying to do rather well; we get to know just enough about each character to understand their story, without melodrama or too much silliness (
    well, except perhaps the closing sequence in which every one of the gangster's thugs are revealed to have graduated from the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship, allowing two inexperienced and practically naked teenage girls to gun them all down
    ). Certainly it felt leaner and more tautly edited than any big production I saw in 2012 (hereby known as The Year Every Hollywood Release Was About 30 Minutes Too Long).

This is definitely growing on me, and even some of the excessive scenes are starting to make a lot of sense giving the film's themes and satirical tone.
    For example Alien's sudden death makes a whole lot of sense given how his character idolized the gangster lifestyle but had none of the toughness or upbringing for it.

A lot of people are worn down by the repetition, noise and bright colors but that's kinda the point. It's flagging up the hollowness and tedium of it all. I had a similar experience with Julien Donkey Boy. A film that seemed confusing and disjointed at first but worked given the character's dysfunctional viewpoint, there's a lot of heart in that film too that I think's overlooked.

Fysh wrote: »
    we get to know just enough about each character to understand their story, without melodrama or too much silliness

Really? I thought there was almost nothing but silliness. And three of the four girls were almost indistinguishable character-wise.

Though I also felt that perhaps that was the whole point - doing a dumb-trashy movie in an arthouse style.

e_e wrote: »
    there's a lot of heart in that film too that I think's overlooked.

Edit: nevermind.

You're talking about Julien Donkey Boy right? Because I was.

That film really humanized a mentally challenged character without either being mawkish or exploitative.

• Advertisement

e_e wrote: »
    You're talking about Julien Donkey Boy right? Because I was.

That film really humanized a mentally challenged character without either being mawkish or exploitative.

Erm...yes, yes I was.:pac:

Advertisement