Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Cork need?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Am blow-in here......parking is really expensive in City centre.
    Love Cork city, but it's not a place I would ever linger in for a coffee - (due to parking - moan!)

Ye should all head up to the prom in Galway!! Free parking and fresh air

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Ye should all head up to the prom in Galway!! Free parking and fresh air

If people arent going to pay city parking prices they sure as hell aint gonna travel to Galway for a coffee :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I think we need a medium capacity concert venue, 3 - 5k to attract bigger name acts during the out of summer months. It could double as a convention centre to maybe. Something to draw in some outside cash from around the province or country.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Aha Shake wrote: »
    A burrito place! Pablo picante style!

My Kingdom for a Chipotle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Bulldoze The Peace Park. Convert it into an open plaza. Line it with cafes, bars and restaurants.
    The only problem would be the weather.

The peace park already has Electric and a new place opening in the glass cube outside. Not sure you'd squeeze much more in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Large concert/event centre. I don't think the Beamish & Crawford site is the ideal place for this, prefer the docklands site, but Heineken need to sh*t or get off the pot. Murphys and Beamish make a big deal about how 'Cork' they are, but clearly they don't give a sh*t if they are stalling on this one.
      Grand parade needs sorting out in terms of building stock. Central Library site is a real missed opportunity.
      All those complaining about parking really need to cop on. If they think they can all drive their cars into town and park everywhere AND still have a nice city to visit, then they are crazy. We don't need anymore cars in the city centre. Get the bus like everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I think turning one of the three churches off Patrick Street into a library like this one would be super....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cork needs people to know the difference between The Peace Park and Bishop Lucy Park!

While I'd be all for free park and ride or cheaper legal parking, I wish the Council would enforce parking properly - Corn Market Street (coal quay), in particular, is a complete joke with people parking on the footpath and in loading bays at all hours of the day and en mass on Sat nights/Sunday mornings when anything up to 50 cars can be parked on the footpath.

They sorted out Emmett Place with bollards but nothing is been done on CM Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭Milly33

Defiantly they need to do something with the parking they ruined the place with the expensive parking and what t. hey done to the coal quay..Spent about an hour driving around looking for free parking one night as I wasn't staying for ages and ended up driving away..

Also the music venue is a great idea but they should defiantly not build another one..Bloody muppets use the beamish and Crawford site it is there being wasted away with nothing happening, if they don't use it now it will be left to crumble... ..

Then most defiantly I think a few stalls or something set up on a regular basis on the main streets something like snack bars, like the doughnut and the hotdog stands..something lie this for local business would be great for getting people into restaurants..

More bins around the place, defiantly more poop bins for dogs.. The council after spending all that money revamping the street which I have to say I hate think it done nothing for town, should take some responsibility to clean up the buildings that have been left to go to crap.. Allow a few kids who like to graffiti and let them loose

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

pwurple wrote: »
    I would love it if we could make more use of our rivers like they do in amsterdam. The river is so much cleaner now than when I was small and the place stank. River transport like a boat from the quays that went to blackroack pier, or the other piers around. Floating cafes/bars/restaurants/B&B's.

There's a huge difference between a river and man made canals though, Amsterdam can have floating cafés etc. because the water isn't all that changeable in comparison with a river.

Don't think it'd work.

Agree with you regarding the cost of a family getting the bus.

In general I'd love something along the lines of a Luas which would connect Douglas - Mahon - City Centre - Colleges

Cork as a city is hard to get around and suffers from lots of traffic congestion. If people could get around quicker then you'd see the city grow imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

A proper stadium. Pairc Ui Caoimh is a dilapidated eyesore which I reckon should be condemned. Musgrave Park has huge potential, but nothing is/can be done (think residents have objected). Turners Cross is tiny and is as good as it will ever get.

The whole area across from the Lee Fields is prime area to try a stadium project.

This stadium could of course be a multi purpose arena, but I cannot imagine the funds are there for such at present. Closest we have to a multi purpose at the moment is Neptune. Does a job but it is a glorified bingo hall.

More realistic opening hours for pubs/clubs. The 2am curfew is bloody stupid. 4am would be about right. Also, less people all out of the street at the same time cuts down on fights etc as well.

Pedestrianise the city centre, or at least have a perimiter which excludes private vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

D'Agger wrote: »
    There's a huge difference between a river and man made canals though, Amsterdam can have floating cafés etc. because the water isn't all that changeable in comparison with a river.

Don't think it'd work.

Agree with you regarding the cost of a family getting the bus.

In general I'd love something along the lines of a Luas which would connect Douglas - Mahon - City Centre - Colleges

Cork as a city is hard to get around and suffers from lots of traffic congestion. If people could get around quicker then you'd see the city grow imo

Yeah, you're right... The tides are possibly a big problem too. I know there is some control over the river with inniscarra, but you're right, would probably need some locks too. Maybe pontoons would work, they float up and down.

How about reopening the old railway line from town to passage west with some light electric vehicle zipping along it? Stops in blackrock, rochestown as well as the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

gimmick wrote: »
    Pedestrianise the city centre, or at least have a perimiter which excludes private vehicles.

Or at least police the existing pedestrian zones - cars and vans travel up Oliver Plunkett Street all day long in breach of the pedestrianisation hours and nothing is done about it and, has been mentioned, Cornmarket street is a joke - almost got knocked down going into the Bodega last week as a bloke drove up along the pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

A proper stadium. Pairc Ui Caoimh is a dilapidated eyesore which I reckon should be condemned. Musgrave Park has huge potential, but nothing is/can be done (think residents have objected). Turners Cross is tiny and is as good as it will ever get.

The whole area across from the Lee Fields is prime area to try a stadium project.

This stadium could of course be a multi purpose arena, but I cannot imagine the funds are there for such at present. Closest we have to a multi purpose at the moment is Neptune. Does a job but it is a glorified bingo hall.

More realistic opening hours for pubs/clubs. The 2am curfew is bloody stupid. 4am would be about right. Also, less people all out of the street at the same time cuts down on fights etc as well.

I disagree on the municpal stadium idea. Munster will not move bigger games to Cork with them having redeveloped Thomand in the last few years, plus the numbers are not there to fill these games anyway. Cork city FC will not fill a bigger stadium and finally GAA will use it for a few big games during the summer, and probably dont want to share a stadium anyway, they dont need to. I think building a nice shiny stadium would look great but would be a vanity project and a white elephant.

I agree on the rest of your points though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It would be no harm for our City to have a proper stadium though. Something we do not have at the moment. And I would argue that if we did Munster would play in Cork more often. Most of theplayers live here and they would have some say I would imagine. Its pie in the sky anyway as it ain't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Definitely a coat of paint. Was back last week for the first time in almost a year and noticed how shabby not just the buildings in the city, but the houses in the suburbs look. There should be some kind of incentive to paint at least the buildings in town, it's depressing.

Was staying in my Nans house near Magazine road and was quite upset that there is only one of the original owner occupiers living on the street now. Every other house rented to students. Walls grey, curtains falling down, gardens overgrown, quite heartbreaking to see actually. It used to be such a lovely neighbourhood, and we knew everyone living around. Can't believe there's enough students to fill them, sure most of the apartments in and around town are student accomodation now aswell. Nowhere for families to live except run down apartments, so the city is becoming soulless.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

More public toilets according to another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

It would be no harm for our City to have a proper stadium though. Something we do not have at the moment. And I would argue that if we did Munster would play in Cork more often. Most of theplayers live here and they would have some say I would imagine. Its pie in the sky anyway as it ain't happening.

2/3 of Munster support are in the Cork area but Thomond Park was built due to the majority of the Munster board being from Limerick.

Having games in a municipal stadium in Cork would most likely attract more fans than holding games in Limerick, especially when there is no motorway between the two cities at present.

Cork needs a municipal stadium. It's not Cork's fault that the Limerick County Board redeveloped the Gaelic Grounds in a complete white elephant.

A development plan for the outskirts would also be nice. All the new housing estates are popping up in the outskirts without any link roads being built between them. Its causing extreme traffic congestion at various convergance points.

On the other hand, somewhere like Togher which was built upon a grid system sees virtually no traffic congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

There are redevelopment plans in place for Pairc Uí Chaoimh which looks good.

It's a great field but they're going to do it up and the area surrounding it which is nice - it's a great spot to visit in the summer for Championship

D'Agger wrote: »
    There are redevelopment plans in place for Pairc Uí Chaoimh which looks good.

It's a great field but they're going to do it up and the area surrounding it which is nice - it's a great spot to visit in the summer for Championship

When is the planned work on the Stade de Frank due to start? Only two thousand people there on Sunday for the league game against Clare - and the majority from Clare. Now wonder the County Board is looking at having Cork games in Clon and Mallow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

2/3 of Munster support are in the Cork area but Thomond Park was built due to the majority of the Munster board being from Limerick.

Having games in a municipal stadium in Cork would most likely attract more fans than holding games in Limerick, especially when there is no motorway between the two cities at present.

Cork needs a municipal stadium. It's not Cork's fault that the Limerick County Board redeveloped the Gaelic Grounds in a complete white elephant.

All the Cork stadia are pretty awful. I think if there was one, decent, modern municipal stadium with good bar/food facilities you'd see a lot more fan cross-over between sports. I've never been to a Cork City game, nor a GAA game in years, but if they were hosted in the same stadium as the rugby I'd be a lot more inclined to attend.

Specifically for the rugby, it would really benefit Munster to have a bigger stadium in Cork. 8-10K in Musgrave is too small even for the Pro12 at this stage, and if a new stadium was bigger than Thomond it would give them the option of staging HEC/Pro12 knockout games in a bigger stadium without having to leave the province. That would have a massive benefit for the province's economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It's a shame the Custom House quay couldn't be redeveloped. With the cobbled quayside and the beautiful old stone building and roof restored, it'd make a great place to go in the summer. You could imagine a few bars, cafes and restaurants there, maybe a mini-museum/gallery with info on Cork port's history.

18742581.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Water taxi

A large forest/wilderness park close to the city 5 to 10 minutes drive.

A tram system connecting City center with the south side(airports unis hospitals major residential areas) northside too hilly nto enough space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

San Fran has hills and still has trams...

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

who_me wrote: »
    It's a shame the Custom House quay couldn't be redeveloped. With the cobbled quayside and the beautiful old stone building and roof restored, it'd make a great place to go in the summer. You could imagine a few bars, cafes and restaurants there, maybe a mini-museum/gallery with info on Cork port's history.

It's an amazing building, we surveyed it last year for college. It has huge potential, but a lot of work would have to be done to make it useable. I think it was to be incorporated into the docklands development, but that won't happen for ages. I think the port authority putting in the pontoon was a brilliant idea, I've seen loads of yachts pulling up here for the night, since it was put in. And bot to forget the clipper festival, which was hugely successful for Cork and kinsale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

There definitely isn't enough use made of the water front in Cork. I took a walk around Galway last Sat evening & there were loads of people out along the various water frontage there having bbq's, picnics or just having a few cans or glasses of wine.

Lots of cities would kill for the sort of opportunity those old bonded warehouses offer but seems they are just being let deteriorate here :(

Would be great as well if at least one of the much talked about event centres actually went ahead. There was great publicity a few years back about the ARC arena but it didn't survive very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

It needs a chance. The rent businesses have to pay is ridiculous. I walked through merchants key for first time in a long while and it was amazing to see how many empty spots to let upstairs, and the city in general. I've never been in a city with so many empty spots as cork. It's like cork airport and the walkways for getting in and off the plane, they charge the airlines so much to use them, that practically none do. If they lowered the charge then more would and their profits would probably increase.
    Same applies to city centre IMO, if they lowered the rents there would more than likely be more businesses their to make up for the small decrease in charges

I stopped reading after the bit in bold.You must have never been in Limerick and Waterford city centres.Cork city centre is still a vibrant place compared to other places in Ireland.Of course the recession is affecting the city but i don't think things are as bad as some of the doom and gloom merchants would have you believe.A lot of it is just wishful thinking on their part.Cork is the most vibrant city in Ireland outside of Dublin.

• Advertisement

I stopped reading after the bit in bold.You must have never been in Limerick and Waterford city centres.Cork city centre is still a vibrant place compared to other places in Ireland.Of course the recession is affecting the city but i don't think things are as bad as some of the doom and gloom merchants would have you believe.A lot of it is just wishful thinking on their part.Cork is the most vibrant city in Ireland outside of Dublin.

Big hole on Paul Street after Newport closed down - the latest of many in a city centre that's dying day by day.

Advertisement