Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Cork need?

Options
  • 08-04-2013 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

What does our city need in order to improve it?

With so many shops now out of business I think it would be great to turn the likes of HMV into a market where many small sellers could sell their wares in a dry space.

A restaurant on the top of the County Hall or the Elysian would be very cool and a draw for tourists and those of us in the city wishing for a view.

A concert venue...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

better weather

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Free parking would go a long way to bring people in. Maybe even free park and ride.
    Theres nothing i need that i cant get in the shopping centres that are closer to my house and offer free parking so i have no need to venture into the city.
    I like your idea of a market set up for hmv tho. It wodnt bring me in but it might for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Fabio wrote: »
    What does our city need in order to improve it?

With so many shops now out of business I think it would be great to turn the likes of HMV into a market where many small sellers could sell their wares in a dry space.

A restaurant on the top of the County Hall or the Elysian would be very cool and a draw for tourists and those of us in the city wishing for a view.

A concert venue...

They tried the restaurant on top of County Hall - didn't work. As for a concert venue, ranging from the state of the art Curtis at CSM with 450 cap, to the Everyman and the 1,000 seater Opera House, the city is not badly served with concert venues.

As for indoor markets there is one on MacCurtain street as far as I know and the Unitarian church does them occasionally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    better weather

This.

If we had nice weather, it would be a far more pleasant place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

evilivor wrote: »
    They tried the restaurant on top of County Hall - didn't work. As for a concert venue, ranging from the state of the art Curtis at CSM with 450 cap, to the Everyman and the 1,000 seater Opera House, the city is not badly served with concert venues.

As for indoor markets there is one on MacCurtain street as far as I know and the Unitarian church does them occasionally.
    Was it ever actually a proper functioning restaurant on top of county hall ? Having been there a few times at corporate events etc it does really just seem like a fancy room for hire, there are regular company events etc on there in the evenings but all the food etc is brought in from outside catering as far as i know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

An daycent event centre (on the way).

A privatised pot-hole fixing team.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

A couple of Michelin starred restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Better shopping for mens clothing, Mahon Point is a joke and most shops in town stock about a quarter of the mens range compared to their Dublin counterparts. Im referring to H&M, River Island and Zara in particular. Their mens section is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Blood Donation clinics that open on a Saturday.

Waterbirths in CUH

More allotments (like the project in Churchfield for growing Veg)

More Educate Together schools, or at least a move away from faith-based administration of schools

A more dog-friendly city i.e. not being ostracised or refused entry to shops/cafes in the city centre with a well-behaved, trained and under-control animal

Oh and less rain kthxbai

A Helipad in the CUH wouldnt go a miss either considering its the Countries only Trauma One hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I would love it if we could make more use of our rivers like they do in amsterdam. The river is so much cleaner now than when I was small and the place stank. River transport like a boat from the quays that went to blackroack pier, or the other piers around. Floating cafes/bars/restaurants/B&B's.

On the menswear thing above, my brothers and husband get clothes in Tony's in town, if that's any help.

Oh yeah, and free parking, or cheaper buses. 1.80 per person each way into town... It's a tenner to bring the family on the bus, or similar in parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

A new accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Bulldoze The Peace Park. Convert it into an open plaza. Line it with cafes, bars and restaurants.
    The only problem would be the weather.

kaki wrote: »
    Waterbirths in CUH
    Not allowed since that baby in carlow drowned in one.
    More allotments (like the project in Churchfield for growing Veg)
    There are loads of these... A couple in frankfield at least, and three that I now of on the northside.
    More Educate Together schools, or at least a move away from faith-based administration of schools
    Three ET and a couple of gaeilscolanna as far as I know in the city. And I don't know the last time there was any member of any religious order participating in either the teaching or the running of the protestant or catholic schools around me. Seems to be name only.

Bulldoze The Peace Park. Convert it into an open plaza. Line it with cafes, bars and restaurants.

The peace park has the city walls in it, I wouldn't bulldoze those. Would be nice to open it up a bit more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Cork badly needs an event centre of some sort. The Brewery Quater looks like a good idea but it probably won't happen. I heard Owen O Callaghan making a few noises in the paper not so long ago about his Albert Quay event centre.

Build it and they will come ffs.

Are you taking the piss. The whole of grand parade is a plaza thats barely used. Its such a waste of space. The peace park is about the only nice place to have an al fresco lunch in the city when the weather is nice.

pwurple wrote: »
    Not allowed since that baby in carlow drowned in one.

There are loads of these... A couple in frankfield at least, and three that I now of on the northside.

Three ET and a couple of gaeilscolanna as far as I know in the city. And I don't know the last time there was any member of any religious order participating in either the teaching or the running of the protestant or catholic schools around me. Seems to be name only.

Re: the first point, waterbirths have been suspended for insurance reasons. I would like to have water birth as an option nationwide for labour/delivery for whomever might choose it - esp. for Cork considering that the maternity facility in CUH was opened fairly recently. That's probably for another thread in another forum though...

I think the allotments project could definitely be expanded more, unless you happen to have a car or be living close by one of the few existing ones it's quite difficult to use the service.

And the vast majority of schools in and around Cork, especially secondary, are run and administered in accordance with religious ethos of one type or another. I think that the city as a whole would benefit hugely for having this sector developed further.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss. The whole of grand parade is a plaza thats barely used. Its such a waste of space. The peace park is about the only nice place to have an al fresco lunch in the city when the weather is nice.

Long live the Peace Park!

Sure if it was bulldozed Fitzgeralds' park would be the closest substantial bit of greenery

I8A4RE wrote: »
    A couple of Michelin starred restaurants

Ore even one. Far too long since Cork had one, though not sure the city could sustain one now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

kaki wrote: »
    Re: the first point, waterbirths have been suspended for insurance reasons. I would like to have water birth as an option nationwide for labour/delivery for whomever might choose it - esp. for Cork considering that the maternity facility in CUH was opened fairly recently. That's probably for another thread in another forum though...

CUMH has a water birthing suite down by the theatres but afaik one is not actually allowed to give birth in it. pointless exercise anyway. The only thing I will understand less than women is pregnant women... with thier "birth plans" and all this bull****. just be happy you have a healthy baby at the end of it.

Cork badly needs a paint job and redevlopment of the docks. that R&H Hall is an eyesore as is that entire area of the city. depressing to look at, which is a shame. Those docks need something to rival the dublin docklands area, although that part of Dublin is a horrible reminder of the boom.

Crasp wrote: »
    Cork badly needs a paint job and redevlopment of the docks. that R&H Hall is an eyesore as is that entire area of the city. depressing to look at, which is a shame. Those docks need something to rival the dublin docklands area, although that part of Dublin is a horrible reminder of the boom.

That area wont be developed for decades to come. I never understand how it was never developed back in the boom. You had super-estates (mount oval for example) popping up all over Cork but a beautiful area minutes from the city was never developed. It beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

A burrito place! Pablo picante style!

Hogzy wrote: »
    That area wont be developed for decades to come. I never understand how it was never developed back in the boom. You had super-estates (mount oval for example) popping up all over Cork but a beautiful area minutes from the city was never developed. It beggars belief.

I was at at least three launches of Cork dockland development plans over the years - none came to fruition.

Ore even one. Far too long since Cork had one, though not sure the city could sustain one now.

If Ardmore in Co. Waterford can sustain one, Cork can surely sustain one. :)
    And it's not that long since Augustines closed is it?

We do have a good few decent restaurants though, that is certainly something I love about Cork.

If Ardmore in Co. Waterford can sustain one, Cork can surely sustain one. :)
    And it's not that long since Augustines closed is it?

We do have a good few decent restaurants though, that is certainly something I love about Cork.

Arbutus Lodge was the only Michelin starred restaurant in Cork and it lost its star in the late 1980s.

Arbutus Lodge was the only Michelin starred restaurant in Cork and it lost its star in the late 1980s.

I was sure augustines had one.

See the link below... 2012 - The head chef and owner of the Michelin Star-ranked Augustine’s Restaurant revealed last night that he is closing.

http://www.thecorknews.ie/articles/augustine%E2%80%99s-close-4121

I was sure augustines had one.

See the link below... 2012 - The head chef and owner of the Michelin Star-ranked Augustine’s Restaurant revealed last night that he is closing.

http://www.thecorknews.ie/articles/augustine%E2%80%99s-close-4121

Just sloppy journalism, mentioned in a guide does not equate to a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

It needs a chance. The rent businesses have to pay is ridiculous. I walked through merchants key for first time in a long while and it was amazing to see how many empty spots to let upstairs, and the city in general. I've never been in a city with so many empty spots as cork. It's like cork airport and the walkways for getting in and off the plane, they charge the airlines so much to use them, that practically none do. If they lowered the charge then more would and their profits would probably increase.
    Same applies to city centre IMO, if they lowered the rents there would more than likely be more businesses their to make up for the small decrease in charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

Less scumbags in the city centre and more Gardai.

Advertisement