Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insults You No Longer Hear

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Yeah thundering isn't used before names much anymore.

Do you know that Cearbhall O Dalaigh resigned as President after the Defence Minister of the day Paddy Donegan called him a 'thundering disgrace'.

I'm filing that away in my "I'm off my face and talking shìte" folder! :D

One WTF insult that stays with me 20 odd years later and I've only ever heard it once, was "Ahh you ould fart of a bastard!!".

Thanks mam! :(

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Cnutface

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keithb93

Ya freckle-faced goon.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

LordSutch wrote: »
    Well I remember well when 'Spa' was the usual insult thrown at anybody and everybody back in my school days!
    (Spa being the abbreviation of Spastic) So I guess 'Spa' is outlawed in schools these days, along with cripple & retard?

Hopefully all those insults are long gone, and they were shocking when you think about them now . . . . .
    theyre not long gone.
    retard in particular is still used and widely accepted,not just on forums like boards but in mainstream programming to,even when there has been major complaints put in [am not one of them because hadnt watched the prog] and mencap intefered; channels have still ignored it.
    it isnt about PCness.
    its not only about the deep conotations and history that is attached to it,its also about the disablist attitudes atached to this word and us, that heavily creeped into europe in the mid nineties onwards due to its overuse on southpark.
    re.'retard'.... those of us with intelectual disability are used as a wholly negative, drooling useless 'thick' example that people use for comparing non disabled people with, in almost all cases people use they will never find an intelectualy disabled person doing such behaviors or acts.

our disability is seen in a very negative way because of these labels,and the rampant disablism that is still moraly accepted and used by people,as well as the way society is attached to creating hierarchies of so called inteligence.
    we are not the opposite to those assessed on the genious end of the scale, we have a disability in all forms of processing which has a knock on effect how we learn,percieve and function,however most of us have strengths in things, such as an interest.

as for crip,it refers to physicaly disabled people,many have actualy been taking back the word for years.
    with spastic/spacker/spa/spaz,they are all slang/shortenings of spasticated muscles; which is asociated with CP,it is still a medical term for the muscle issue as not all people with the problem have CP,most do though.
    calling non disabled people a slur or term from disability is disablist and derogatory and it shows more about the attitudes of the individual saying it; and the fact they are able to recognise the long term damage caused by homophobic slurs and racism but not with the most vulnerable group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Dipsh*t. Haven't heard that in years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Just remembered another one, sorry, two, from my secondary school days-

"son of a thousand fathers"

and the insult that was like calling Marty McFly "chicken" -

"àrse bandit"

I went to an all boys school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Langer banger... Ha ha, the good old days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Northsider, Dubliner, Irishman, there's a few I haven't had cause to use in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Not an insult and almost completely unrelated to the topic...but I wish people would say "the business" more!

"Ah man, that kebab was the business".

I miss the '80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

"The business" That's still used all the time in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭MuchoLoco

Ya Boot 90's style.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Ye plank

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

cuntflap
    fannybandit
    wanker
    **** stain
    fwaycent (where something was so good,that the word ''deacent'' couldn't describe it)
    fannyfart
    needle dick
    gimp
    squeeler
    lick arse
    i'd park my tractor in your mothers shed
    fagbag
    cucumber
    bucket o' ****
    dimples
    pothole
    ****face
    fanny pack
    bender
    carrot top
    fanta balls
    fagface
    wheely
    spa
    handi
    lemon
    slowcoach
    poppenfresh sp??
    clutz
    dozy ****
    cheesy dick
    knobhead
    knob jockey
    he'd peel an orange in his pocket
    dicktard
    gombeen
    gometard
    fruitcake
    hes awfully confused
    ****face

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

MuchoLoco wrote: »
    Ya Boot 90's style.

I was genuinely confused by this back then.

Class mates saying "Ms. Whatever is a booh"

A what?

"A booh"

I can't spell out such a pronunciation, but you get me!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

ballbag

Horse features

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

You're as straight as a roundabout.
    Primary school classic.

You're about as much use as a chocolate fireguard

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

"ya stockin of sh1te"
    "ya long streak of pi55"

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

hes as tick as pigsh*t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    Knobjockey
    Mong

These two definitely still get used around England.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fixer Upper

Ya jamrag

another all-boys school one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Years ago when EVERYBODY seemed to be from a good wholesome family unit. Insulting somebody for being from a single parent family or for being an actual b*stard was common..

There was a kid in my school universally called John Daddy Gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fixer Upper

Ride me sideways was another one....

- Sorry I couldn't resist! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

People calling someone a d*ckhead and doing the hand signal demonstrating an imaginary d*ck protruding from the forehead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Dipstick.

Capper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

´Muppet´ seems to have died with the Celtic tiger thank fùck.

Last time I heard it used it was a Newstalk DJ or Ryan Tubridy or some other knobjockey jamrag spastic. (in the spirit of the thread like)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭anto3473

People calling someone a d*ckhead and doing the hand signal demonstrating an imaginary d*ck protruding from the forehead.

This was done in DIT kevin street a lot a couple of years ago, as well as calling each other a spa.

So much so that a very old and posh lecturer ended up asking our class in the middle of a lab what the hand gesture meant, and what we meant by "f**k off you spa"..... when we told him the hand sign was for dickhead and spa was short for spastic he laughed for about 5 minutes solid before we could continue learning how to properly identify leukaemia cells on a blood film.

We are now mostly practising Medical Scientists :eek: :D

You'd really have to have been there, some of my former classmates still greet each other with the dickhead sign on the street, in the hospitals and at large conferences (especially if its in the middle of a lecture someone they know is trying to give)...

Ones I havent heard in ages (late 90's) are:

"Shut up buttmunch" -from beavis and butthead, big in my school.

or

"Bite the back end of me sack"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Ya jamrag

another all-boys school one.....

Must have been plenty more jamming so I assume

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Gee eye!

Advertisement