Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel's Ant-Man

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

John Carter was not a good film. At best it was inoffensively mediocre, although I'd say it was even a little worse than that. Regularly surprised it has such a positive reputation around these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Damn Disney are taking it down all over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Thwip! wrote: »
    Damn Disney are taking it down all over

They got to make up for the bomb that was 'John Carter' ....that's in financial terms! Something like that could run rack & ruin a lesser studio.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, I saw the footage and while yes it's just a proof of concept, my thoughts haven't changed that much; the whole thing looks so feckin' goofy and silly.

Everyone's suspension of disbelief is different & what makes it crack varies from person to person; for me, it takes a goofy-looking superhero who can shrink and grow at will. Sure, arguably it's as believable as a norse god or raging green giant, but Ant-Man is too much for me - far too Silver-Age. Call me a party-pooper but I just think bringing all these heroes into the 'Avengers' canon might over-egg the superhero pudding.

On the other hand, I am curious to know what Joe Cornish makes of the script (loved Attack of the Block) and Edgar Wright was practically made for directing a comic adaptation, so maybe all is not lost...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

pixelburp wrote: »
    I dunno, I saw the footage and while yes it's just a proof of concept, my thoughts haven't changed that much; the whole thing looks so feckin' goofy and silly.

Everyone's suspension of disbelief is different & what makes it crack varies from person to person; for me, it takes a goofy-looking superhero who can shrink and grow at will. Sure, arguably it's as believable as a norse god or raging green giant, but Ant-Man is too much for me - far too Silver-Age. Call me a party-pooper but I just think bringing all these heroes into the 'Avengers' canon might over-egg the superhero pudding.

On the other hand, I am curious to know what Joe Cornish makes of the script (loved Attack of the Block) and Edgar Wright was practically made for directing a comic adaptation, so maybe all is not lost...

Guardians of the Galaxy will be released before Antman; the over egging will be done at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Turtyturd wrote: »
    To be fair I think Ironman and Thor are on a different level to Ant-Man. If the character cannot hold down a monthly series then chances are they should not be considered when it comes to transferring them onto the big screen.

thats not necessairly fair.

look at blade, he hasnt held down a series in his life, yet is argueably one of marvels most sucessful film series and led the way for xmen to be made.

i dont expect ant man to be huge, but he could produce a very respectable preformance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

It looks good and this isn't even part of the film this is just a quick tease to give an idea to people what there in for and already i want more :) and thats a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

i dont expect ant man to be huge,

no, just giant! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

any links to it anymore?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Skerries wrote: »
    any links to it anymore?

There's a sequence of GIFs illustrating it here, which I guess is the closest you'll get to it for now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think Thor will probably represent the line beyond which people won't accept silliness.

I really though it would be breathtakingly stupid and nonsensical but it straddled the line beautifully and didn't take itself too seriously which ultimately led to it working fairly well.

Antman sounds like a step too far. Not only does it feel like there's already an overabundance of superhero films but more importantly, I just don't think an idea this silly is likely to work.

The name alone is probably going to be enough to put the bulk of moviegoers off. It doesn't have the same cultural relevance that Spiderman had that gave it a back door into the mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,742 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I tried to look online for the footage, and I found this.

All I want to say right now is.... Yes.

Ac9qY.jpg

Relationship to Mark IV Iron Man armor screams

^I'm very much up for that.....though to be fair, Nathan Fillion is my go to Pym

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nathan Fillion is everyone's go to every yet to be cast superhero :pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Nathan Fillion is everyone's go to every yet to be cast superhero :pac:

Well I wouldn't put him as Flash :P

*That's NPH ;)

He really fits in as the voice actor for green lantern tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Fillion's running out of time. He needs to be cast as a superhero soon. He's already gotten fairly chunky and, without that kinda role, I don't see that changing. Justlethimbeafuckingsuperheroforfucksake!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Fillion's already been a superhero. He was SuperJesus* in Super :D

* name may be something I just made up right now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

He was also Captain Hammer!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRC2mAVWDRG4fEzD_x0pkTlmdIHzv3L6Irq_KlfK5WPgaZ8BSPN

• Registered Users Posts: 85,151 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rafe Spall has worked before with Edgar Wright and now seems to be finally landing leading roles might be an option but my own personal favourite would be Devon Sawa

• Advertisement

He was also Captain Hammer!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRC2mAVWDRG4fEzD_x0pkTlmdIHzv3L6Irq_KlfK5WPgaZ8BSPN

And the voice of Green Lantern and Mr Freeze

And the voice of Green Lantern and Mr Freeze
    Woah, stop. What.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Fillion is perfect for this role but he would need to hit the gym.

Overheal wrote: »
    Woah, stop. What.

Best that I can tell, he voiced both Mr Freeze and the Green Lantern on a Robot Chicken Marvel special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Best that I can tell, he voiced both Mr Freeze and the Green Lantern on a Robot Chicken Marvel special.

DC not Marvel.

Overheal wrote: »
    Woah, stop. What.

Robot Chicken DC Superheroes

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Rafe Spall has worked before with Edgar Wright and now seems to be finally landing leading roles might be an option but my own personal favourite would be Devon Sawa

Has Sawa done anything in the last 10 years? I remember he was in Final Destination and Idle Hands, and then once the shine wore off he seemed to just disappear. (On the other hand, AFAIK the shine was only there because he had name/face recognition from the Mickey Mouse Club or some such nonsense...)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,151 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Fysh wrote: »
    Has Sawa done anything in the last 10 years? I remember he was in Final Destination and Idle Hands, and then once the shine wore off he seemed to just disappear. (On the other hand, AFAIK the shine was only there because he had name/face recognition from the Mickey Mouse Club or some such nonsense...)

He is excellent in the tv series Nikita

McLoughlin wrote: »
    DC not Marvel.

Apologies, I've never been a big fan of comics, so always get them mixed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Robot Chicken DC Superheroes

Good God Robot Chicken has fallen from grace...

Advertisement