Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 7/4/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

if i finish it will be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

any one fancy these bonus :-)

The women's full marathon time is surprisingly soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭SomeUnusedName

I am close to tiknok tomorrow, any particular hill that is prefered (similar) to the connemara half?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

Hi lads, just a question, Is Flannery's hotel a good base for doing the full marathon ? any opinion would be helpful . Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

Hi lads, just a question, Is Flannery's hotel a good base for doing the full marathon ? any opinion would be helpful . Thanks.

Not too bad as Galway is not very big. Probably in taxi territory though to and from the bus and registration if you do not have the car with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Jury's hotel would probably be the best as you could jog along the river walk as far as the Cathedral to hop on the bus. Outside that, any hotels in town.
    Flannery's would be taxi territory though.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

I have booked Claytons for the Saturday and Sunday Night, with breakfast both mornings is €200 for 2 of us in twin room both doing the HM.

The reason I opted for Claytons is for the use of the pool etc the evening after the run.

Im not too familiar with Galway City, is this hotel ok in sof far as its locations for registration on the Saturday and getting buses to and from the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    I have booked Claytons for the Saturday and Sunday Night, with breakfast both mornings is €200 for 2 of us in twin room both doing the HM.

The reason I opted for Claytons is for the use of the pool etc the evening after the run.

Im not too familiar with Galway City, is this hotel ok in sof far as its locations for registration on the Saturday and getting buses to and from the race?

Clayton is out by the racecourse. If you're driving, its easy access to the registration alright, but for getting the buses, its a bit of a trek, Google maps is your friend, you could get a taxi to the cathedral or drive to town, park nearby (its a Sunday, so onstreet is free) and then get the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Clayton is out by the racecourse. If you're driving, its easy access to the registration alright, but for getting the buses, its a bit of a trek, Google maps is your friend, you could get a taxi to the cathedral or drive to town, park nearby (its a Sunday, so onstreet is free) and then get the bus.

Cheers Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Moved my name from the half to the full, training going well so I will give it a shot.

Half:
    Bugsy2000
    ultraman1's da
    Martyboy48
    jmcc99_98

Full:
    R O B
    The Rook
    dev123
    Stephenduffy08
    ciancullinan
    Conseng
    Puck
    Bigslice
    Shedite
    Adamski8
    popebenny16
    rovers_runner
    ofthelord

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal
    Vagga
    opus
    Killerz
    Toblerone
    me (ultraman)
    hot to trot
    canine marathoner
    Aimman
    Oisin11178
    TFBubendorfer
    Sideswipe
    theduke1
    eoin ryan
    McWotever
    Statss

• Advertisement

statss wrote: »
    Moved my name from the half to the full, training going well so I will give it a shot.

Half:
    Bugsy2000
    ultraman1's da
    Martyboy48
    jmcc99_98

Full:
    R O B
    The Rook
    dev123
    Stephenduffy08
    ciancullinan
    Conseng
    Puck
    Bigslice
    Shedite
    Adamski8
    popebenny16
    rovers_runner
    ofthelord

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal
    Vagga
    opus
    Killerz
    Toblerone
    me (ultraman)
    hot to trot
    canine marathoner
    Aimman
    Oisin11178
    TFBubendorfer
    Sideswipe
    theduke1
    eoin ryan
    McWotever
    Statss

It must be going very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

conseng wrote: »
    It must be going very well.

Statts will be tested after the race for PEDs :D

opps, better fix that :pac:

Half:
    Bugsy2000
    ultraman1's da
    Martyboy48
    jmcc99_98

Full:
    R O B
    The Rook
    dev123
    Stephenduffy08
    ciancullinan
    Conseng
    Puck
    Bigslice
    Shedite
    Adamski8
    popebenny16
    rovers_runner
    ofthelord
    Statss

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal
    Vagga
    opus
    Killerz
    Toblerone
    me (ultraman)
    hot to trot
    canine marathoner
    Aimman
    Oisin11178
    TFBubendorfer
    Sideswipe
    theduke1
    eoin ryan
    McWotever

• Registered Users Posts: 42 QwertyIII

Half:
    Bugsy2000
    ultraman1's da
    Martyboy48
    jmcc99_98

Full:
    R O B
    The Rook
    dev123
    Stephenduffy08
    ciancullinan
    Conseng
    Puck
    Bigslice
    Shedite
    Adamski8
    popebenny16
    rovers_runner
    ofthelord
    Statss
    QwertyIII

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal
    Vagga
    opus
    Killerz
    Toblerone
    me (ultraman)
    hot to trot
    canine marathoner
    Aimman
    Oisin11178
    TFBubendorfer
    Sideswipe
    theduke1
    eoin ryan
    McWotever

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Hi guys, I wonder if you could give me your advice.

I have been training for the Paris marathon which is on the same date as the Connemarathon. I've just been offered a new job, start date the 7th of April. No way can I do Paris as I'd have to book new flights which I can't really afford on top of the expensive accomodation and I'd have to fly back the evening of the marathon which I really wouldn't fancy. So Pris is now off the cards.

I'm thinking of getting a charity place in Connemarathon-Am I mental? I have been sticking to a training plan but I haven't been doing any real hill work in my training so far. Do you think it's possible if I started doing hill work now to be ready on time? I've only completed one marathon, Dublin 2012, 4 hours fifty. Have since greatly improved my speed, finished a 10k in 53.45 and 52.50 with a half marathon planned tomorrow. Was hoping to finish Paris sub 4.30. Obviously this time wouldnt be realistic for Connemara but do you think I would actually be able for it? Am managing to do my Lsr's in just under 10/mile average. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Without a doubt you will manage fine with the training you have been doing and with some extra hillwork being introduced at this stage.
    Connemara is not the Alps. The hills really aren't too bad , its just that the most tiring one comes near the end.

Main thing is not to get injured , so introduce hills slowly at first to build up leg strength and then when you can manage a few reps 4-6 , start doing them faster. Many people get into bother by trying to run uphill fast right from the start. This would be like trying to train for a marathon with 10 and 15 mile runs at 10k pace! You may manage fast reps from the start but 4 weeks down the line if you start getting achilles and calf issues , it will totally mess up your training and possibly your race. There is often a 2 week lag between new strain and breakdown.

Congratulations on super improvements so far. Good luck with the new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Without a doubt you will manage fine with the training you have been doing and with some extra hillwork being introduced at this stage.
    Connemara is not the Alps. The hills really aren't too bad , its just that the most tiring one comes near the end.

Main thing is not to get injured , so introduce hills slowly at first to build up leg strength and then when you can manage a few reps 4-6 , start doing them faster. Many people get into bother by trying to run uphill fast right from the start. This would be like trying to train for a marathon with 10 and 15 mile runs at 10k pace! You may manage fast reps from the start but 4 weeks down the line if you start getting achilles and calf issues , it will totally mess up your training and possibly your race. There is often a 2 week lag between new strain and breakdown.

Congratulations on super improvements so far. Good luck with the new job.

Thanks a million for the reply. I think my mind is made up now. Connemara here i come (i think!) All I need to do is find some decent hills to train around :-)

Hey,

I've emailed the info address twice over the past couple of weeks to ask to switch races, no reply as of yet. Can anyone PM me a direct email address for anyone working on it please? Would hate to miss out on the full over an unseen email.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Winkle12

Hi,
    I need to contact the Connemarathon organisers.
    I have sent 3 emails
    AND
    facebook message
    AND
    a message through the Connemarathon website.

I am being completely ignored.
    Please advise/ help .. is there a phone number?
    Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

I sent them a msg asking about why they don't bother with pacers a few months back. No reply either. Very unprofessional

• Advertisement

just to advise others that they got back to me regarding switching races.

confirmed for the full.

bring it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 T1977

have done a few halfs before including Achill last year and Dublin marathon as well so hopefully I'll get through it! My husband is doing the full.

Half:
    Bugsy2000
    ultraman1's da
    Martyboy48
    jmcc99_98
    T1977

Full:
    R O B
    The Rook
    dev123
    Stephenduffy08
    ciancullinan
    Conseng
    Puck
    Bigslice
    Shedite
    Adamski8
    popebenny16
    rovers_runner
    ofthelord

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal
    Vagga
    opus
    Killerz
    Toblerone
    me (ultraman)
    hot to trot
    canine marathoner
    Aimman
    Oisin11178
    TFBubendorfer
    Sideswipe
    theduke1
    eoin ryan
    McWotever
    Statss[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭WRENALDO

Does anyone know do they provide sports drinks as well at the water stations or is it just water. ? Also does the water come in bottles or just cups. Many thanks for any replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

WRENALDO wrote: »
    Does anyone know do they provide sports drinks as well at the water stations or is it just water. ? Also does the water come in bottles or just cups. Many thanks for any replies.
    According to their website water is in bottles with sports drinks at certain locations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

T minus 5 weeks:eek:
    It's been pretty quiet around this thread, How's the training going folks?

sideswipe wrote: »
    T minus 5 weeks:eek:
    It's been pretty quiet around this thread, How's the training going folks?

Not too bad. Lost a month over Christmas with cold so am behind where I wanted to be. Step back a bit next week then 20 the weekend after then madness for 3 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

This is my first full mara. Did 18 miles last week at 7.10min/mile avg. but that wrecked me for the week so slowed it down to 7.40min/mile for 20 miles.

Hope to do another 20 miles week after next.

Anyone have an idea what pace I should aim for considering the type of course it is and my lack of experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Was going great guns myself, 7:25 min/mile up as far as the 16 mile mark. Did my 18m last Saturday and had a bad run, collapsed on the second half and finished with a 7:43 average (including one at 8:20).

Need to put in a few more miles during the next 10 days in prep for the 20m. Still hoping to break 3:30 on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

ebixa82 wrote: »
    This is my first full mara. Did 18 miles last week at 7.10min/mile avg. but that wrecked me for the week so slowed it down to 7.40min/mile for 20 miles.

Hope to do another 20 miles week after next.

Anyone have an idea what pace I should aim for considering the type of course it is and my lack of experience?

What finishing time are you hoping for?
    7:10 Min/Miles equate to a 3:09 Marathon time, 7:40 = 3:20ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

Connemara is recgonised as a pretty tough course, I did it in 2009 it was my first marathon and i finished in 4.04. since then i have done 6 marathons with a pb of 3.19 in cork 2011. Im doing connemara again now and im wondering if mabye some of the more expierenced runners could give their opinion on what they feel a good time in this marathon is ? should we add 15 mins because of the course difaculty ? thanks for reading.

Advertisement