Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to go directly from A to B on a rail ticket

Options
  • 27-02-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

Slightly inspired by the 'I fell asleep' thread but something that has got me interested.

When you buy a rail ticket do you have to go directly from Point A to Point B.

To use an example, say you have a ticket to go from Dublin to Balbriggan. Can you go from Dublin to Balbriggan via Drogheda on the same ticket. You're making the same journey but you might be on the train for slightly longer.

Is this allowed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

P_1 wrote: »
    Slightly inspired by the 'I fell asleep' thread but something that has got me interested.

To use an example, say you have a ticket to go from Dublin to Balbriggan. Can you go from Dublin to Balbriggan via Drogheda on the same ticket. You're making the same journey but you might be on the train for slightly longer.

Is this allowed?
    Yes but only in a situation where you Board the Enterprise in Dublin and take it to Drogheda and then take the next commuter train back to Balbriggan. you should not be allowed to leave the platforms in Drogheda without being fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

No

If the journey planner on Irish Rail's site gives you an itinerary that doubles back then its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

heres the conditions of travel:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/ConditionsOfTravel1.pdf
    5. Available route of tickets
    5.1 Except as specified in Appendix 1 of the regulations and conditions contained
    in the publications and notices of and applicable to Iarnród Éireann:
    5.1.1 a ticket is valid for use only between the stations shown on the ticket;
    and
    5.1.2 tickets which do not state a route are only valid for the most direct
    journey.
    so, it seems quite clear that the example of going from Dublin to Balbriggan via Drogheda is not allowed unless its specifically stated on your ticket.

You can also break a journey at intermediate stations but again theres a difference between an intermediate station and a station down the line beyond your destination.

(Appendix 1 only states that you can use a return leg on a parallel line, i.e. a Galway-Dublin ticket can be used for say Dublin-Westport on the return leg and some technicalities about ticketing the Nenagh branch line)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

so, it seems quite clear that the example of going from Dublin to Balbriggan via Drogheda is not allowed unless its specifically stated on your ticket.

You can also break a journey at intermediate stations but again theres a difference between an intermediate station and a station down the line beyond your destination.

(Appendix 1 only states that you can use a return leg on a parallel line, i.e. a Galway-Dublin ticket can be used for say Dublin-Westport on the return leg and some technicalities about ticketing the Nenagh branch line)
    You can only break your journey on intercity journeys, and in the case of travelling to Drogheda to then go back to Balbriggan may be the most direct route on the next available service - but this may only be allowed on intercity journeys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

P_1 wrote: »

Is this allowed?

No. You are not making the same journey as you travel further than what you paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Interesting, having said that the advent of the Leap card may have made the argument slightly redundant.

With the leap card you could tag on in Connolly and go to Belfast and tag off in Balbriggan if you dont go through the barriers in Belfast and dont get caught by a ticket checker.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    With the leap card you could tag on in Connolly and go to Belfast and tag off in Balbriggan if you dont go through the barriers in Belfast and dont get caught by a ticket checker.

Never thought of that :D

How far out is the Leap card supposed to take you? I'm guessing Dundalk on the Northern Line anyway

The same can be said for any ticket i suppose if you dont exit and dont get caught on the train.

Balbriggan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Are you sure ?

Doesn't the Belfast train has its own designated platform at Connolly ?

Not sure if it can be accessed using a Leap Card.

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    Are you sure ?

Doesn't the Belfast train has its own designated platform at Connolly ?

Not sure if it can be accessed using a Leap Card.

Platform 2. It can be accessed in many ways but you dont have to board it in Connolly .

Platform 2. It can be accessed in many ways but you dont have to board it in Connolly .

True, but the first stop on the Belfast service is Drogheda. The far side of Balbriggan !

Lapin wrote: »
    True, but the first stop on the Belfast service is Drogheda. The far side of Balbriggan !

Im aware of that, i was on about something else.

Im aware of that, i was on about something else.

I know what you're getting at. I used to ask similar questions in London when the Oyster was introduced. I'm simply trying to highlight potential flaws.

Here's another. The time limit. Don't all journey's using Leap have to be completed within 90 minutes ?

This would make a trip to Balbriggan via Belfast impossible.

If thats the case then ye, but it could still be done with a ticket say from Pearse to Clontarf Road and a good bit of luck providing you dont exit at a station which is manned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭JackieBurke

It is common enough when attempting to travel to such exotic places like Templemore or Ballybrophy. There are a few trains where you must travel through both stations and then break the journey at Thurles where you have to catch a Dublin bound train back. You can exit the station at Thurles and no one will stop you.

Just on that point, what do they class as 'the most direct journey' in:
    5.1.2 tickets which do not state a route are only valid for the most direct journey

Is that the most direct journey 'as the crow flies' or is it the most direct journey in terms of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

If the journey planner allows it as an option then it's valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Can you still do this? I've traveled back on a return ticket on the Athlone line after traveling to Longford before from Dublin a few years back I know it was allowed then.

So you can travel return Dublin - Wexford then Waterford - Dublin ? That's handy for me! :D

There are certain examples, such as tickets bought from the Nenagh Branch to Dublin can be used to return to Templemore or Thurles. I'm not quite sure what other options still exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

lxflyer wrote: »
    There are certain examples, such as tickets bought from the Nenagh Branch to Dublin can be used to return to Templemore or Thurles. I'm not quite sure what other options still exist.
    its spelled out in black and white what the options are in the PDF document I linked with the Irish Rail conditions of travel - appendix A at the back.

EDIT: I tried to post the options earlier this morning but the formating is crap so I gave up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

In lots of cases it's necessary to travel beyond your destination and back to it on another train. As long as you don't leave the area covered by your ticket, i.e. which is usually the station itself, you are ok.
    If the journey planner allows it as an option then it's valid.

Does it state this in the by-laws? I doubt the journey planner is even mentioned.

1.2 Where a person purchases an ordinary return ticket at Nenagh, Cloughjordan
    or Roscrea, an extra charge will arise unless the said ticket is for a return
    journey from Dublin, Heuston to Templemore or from Dublin, Heuston to
    Thurles. Where a person purchases an ordinary return ticket at any station on
    the Nenagh branch (e.g. Castleconnell) to Dublin, Heuston for a return journey
    to Limerick, he or she shall be liable to pay the appropriate excess fare on the
    basis of a return journey from Limerick to Dublin, Heuston.
    Mad stuff.

n97 mini wrote: »
    In lots of cases it's necessary to travel beyond your destination and back to it on another train. As long as you don't leave the area covered by your ticket, i.e. which is usually the station itself, you are ok.

Does it state this in the by-laws? I doubt the journey planner is even mentioned.

The by laws state the most direct route.
    5. Available route of tickets
    5.1 Except as specified in Appendix 1 of the regulations and conditions contained
    in the publications and notices of and applicable to Iarnród Éireann:
    5.1.1 a ticket is valid for use only between the stations shown on the ticket;
    and
    5.1.2 tickets which do not state a route are only valid for the most direct
    journey

Obviously this only applies to full price tickets and not web fares.

"Most direct" isn't defined, and therefore open to interpretation, probably deliberately. Quite often the shortest distance is not the shortest journey. E.g. Is someone travelling from Belfast to Clontarf Road expected to change to the DART at Malahide, the shortest route, or at Connolly, the quickest route?

I would say whatever option the journey planner gives.

I would say whatever option the journey planner gives.

As already stated the journey planner has no legal standing.

"Most direct" isn't defined, and therefore open to interpretation, probably deliberately. Quite often the shortest distance is not the shortest journey. E.g. Is someone travelling from Belfast to Clontarf Road expected to change to the DART at Malahide, the shortest route, or at Connolly, the quickest route?[/QUOTE

At Connolly and buy a ticket for Clontarf road unless they are able to buy a ticket for Clontarf road in Belfast.

• Advertisement

"Most direct" isn't defined, and therefore open to interpretation, probably deliberately. Quite often the shortest distance is not the shortest journey. E.g. Is someone travelling from Belfast to Clontarf Road expected to change to the DART at Malahide, the shortest route, or at Connolly, the quickest route?

The Belfast train doesn't stop at Malahide, closest stop to Dublin is Drogheda

Advertisement