Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player Issues/Troubleshooting - Post Here Only

Options
  • 07-02-2013 3:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

The RTE Player is driving me demented lately. It doesn't work half the time. It plays till the Ads. alright but it won't play the actual programme, it gives out error messages such as; - "(UNCAUGHT) Error #2203." Anyone else experiencing this or know how I can fix it? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

The RTE Player is driving me demented lately. It doesn't work half the time. It plays till the Ads. alright but it won't play the actual programme, it gives out error messages such as; - "(UNCAUGHT) Error #2203." Anyone else experiencing this or know how I can fix it? :(

Me too. Dunno how to fix it. Ads play perfectly then the programmes themselves are all jittery and jumpy. It's a dreadful service really.

I contacted them and they said as far as they knew it was grand and to make sure I had all my updates done. I did and it's still terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

It's a new recent problem as i always used kaspersky anti-banner which just skipped any advert and played perfectly but now in the last few weeks RTE have added code to rte player and you have to disable all add blocking on your machine or it will just buffer into eternity.

Make sure you have all add blocking software disabled (i know it's a pain in the nuts) and then try it. This is RTE online forcing people to watch adverts and you have no choice to now. I have moved from RTE player because of this and find my programmes elsewhere as i will not be forced to waste my time with this advert garbage.

Just remember, if you really want to watch RTE junk just make sure all add-blockling on your system is turned off. Also if you are still having trouble then install malwarebytes and update it and do a quick-scan to make sure you have no bogies interfering with your browser.

At least TV3 don't have this forced advert garbage.

RTE, at least add a button that can turn off the adverts for people as there will always be people that want to watch the adverts and some that do not so give a bloody choice to your listener-ship instead of this forced draconian crap, it's the www not old fashioned tv you are dealing with ffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Its Me CHD

zenno wrote: »
    It's a new recent problem as i always used kaspersky anti-banner which just skipped any advert and played perfectly but now in the last few weeks RTE have added code to rte player and you have to disable all add blocking on your machine or it will just buffer into eternity.

Make sure you have all add blocking software disabled (i know it's a pain in the nuts) and then try it. This is RTE online forcing people to watch adverts and you have no choice to now. I have moved from RTE player because of this and find my programmes elsewhere as i will not be forced to waste my time with this advert garbage.

Just remember, if you really want to watch RTE junk just make sure all add-blockling on your system is turned off. Also if you are still having trouble then install malwarebytes and update it and do a quick-scan to make sure you have no bogies interfering with your browser.

At least TV3 don't have this forced advert garbage.

RTE, at least add a button that can turn off the adverts for people as there will always be people that want to watch the adverts and some that do not so give a bloody choice to your listener-ship instead of this forced draconian crap, it's the www not old fashioned tv you are dealing with ffs.
    lol. Who will pay for advertising if people are given the option to ignore it. Don't be so silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Its Me CHD wrote: »
    lol. Who will pay for advertising if people are given the option to ignore it. Don't be so silly.

Fcuk advertising, all it does is brainwash people into purchasing crap they don't need wake up man. I dumped my tv in the recycling center many years ago because of bloody adverts all day long.

When i see this kind of draconian web-add junk forced online then i go elsewhere and i hope other people do the same or the online viewing will be infected just like television. I don't give a toss about broadcasters making money from adverts once it is not forced on me.

Thank god for torrents. i have a software program in line for next year and it will surely be welcome for many.
    Who will pay for advertising if people are given the option to ignore it.

Who cares, they will still function, get with the times.

Ads don't annoy me as such. I just ignore them or mute them. It's the player not working that bugs me! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Rainbow_Bright

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is in the right section but I'm having an issue with RTE Player. When I try to play something I get a message saying that Adobe Flash Player wants access to my computer - Agree or Deny. Is it safe to agree? By pressing deny, I no longer have access to the player. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I am getting Uncaught error 2203 when trying to watch the player on Fedora 17. According to some fora online it is down to the decrypting of the DRM'ed content. On Linux, the adobe flash player needs a library called hal (hardware abstraction layer). Why the flash software needs hardware libraries to work is beyond me, but anyway... Hal and its associated libraries are readily available on the likes of Ubuntu, but Fedora has moved on, so I am left with the decision of compiling it specially for fedora, or spinning up a VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

I've had this problem with the RTE player not working.

I'm using Google chrome with Adblock Plus.

I have disabled Adblock for the RTE site and it works fine.

I know it's annoying but at least Adblock can be enabled/disabled on a site by site basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has anyone ever figured out a way to buffer a video fully on RTE Player before they watch it? Maybe a Firefox extension or something because its unwatchable on a slow connection the way it is, but Youtube is fine because those videos can be buffered to 100% before you watch them even if you have to leave it for 10 minutes.

RTE uses some continuous streaming or something that makes it useless on a slow connection, anybody think of a solution? Thanks.

Its the same problem for me even at home on 60MB+ UPC, plays the ads perfectly then endless streaming. Nothing to do with Adblock either as it does it in a fresh install of IE and Chrome. Fcuking infuriating, it used to be brilliant. Whats the best email address to complain to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

found a way around it just watch in rte player xl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

same problems for last couple of months, I tried everything

using different browsers, updating flash player to latest, updating to a previous version of flash even!
    eventually I just gave up on RTE player, they can **** off with their adverts :mad:

Dublinfan wrote: »
    You genius, didn't know what you were on about so I googled it and it brings you to a different URL for each video when you select them through this page:

http://www.rte.ie/playerxl/#s=home

Its perfect, because it seems to be based on the old player not the flashier new one, videos play instantly and perfectly like they used to, thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its not working in Opera :( RTE are so mainstream!

Works fine in FF. Cheers Dublinfan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You've just made a Home & Away addict very happy.

Just curious for the people who are having trouble with it, are you using a vpn service like playmo or unblockus?
    I am and read elsewhere that it's causing trouble using rte player but delighted that xll player works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Yayyyy Cheers Dublinfan! :) I just came back to see if there has to be anyone at all that would know how to fix this and found this solution. :) And it works! Yay. :) No more Fair City withdrawal symptoms! :o:) Am I seeing things or does this version have zero streaming/buffering? That's pretty impressive. It wasn't too bad on the old one, was still watchable, but was buffering a little bit, but it doesn't seem to be at all on this XL one.

Only thing I don't like is that it's full screen, I want it like a quarter the size of the screen, integrate it back into the menu-window so that it's smaller like the old Player, maybe there is a re-size button to decrease its' size but I can't find it.

Ps: Orla on Fair City has a kick-ass voice! :)

Yayyyy Cheers Dublinfan! :) I just came back to see if there has to be anyone at all that would know how to fix this and found this solution. :) And it works! Yay. :) No more Fair City withdrawal symptoms! :o:) Am I seeing things or does this version have zero streaming/buffering? That's pretty impressive. It wasn't too bad on the old one, was still watchable, but was buffering a little bit, but it doesn't seem to be at all on this XL one.

Only thing I don't like is that it's full screen, I want it like a quarter the size of the screen, integrate it back into the menu-window so that it's smaller like the old Player, maybe there is a re-size button to decrease its' size but I can't find it.

Ps: Orla on Fair City has a kick-ass voice! :)

No problem:D ye Xl is very fast no buffering at all , i wish rte player would have a nicer layout though not a huge fan of it

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bnear

I'm having the same problem, thought I had it fixed but no joy, I've downloaded the new flash several times but it keeps asking me to do it everytime I open the player:confused:

bnear wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem, thought I had it fixed but no joy, I've downloaded the new flash several times but it keeps asking me to do it everytime I open the player:confused:

Have you try rte player xl:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Antho1966

Has anyone got this message when trying to access the rte player?

The ads play and finish and when I deny access nothing happens.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I've found over the past week or so that many of the sites I visit have this message stick its nose in my business. So I deny every time.

Yes its happening for about a week or so with rte player.

i have deleted adobe from my laptop, but am still getting the same message.

Apparently RTE have updated their content so it uses DRM or Digital Rights Management. What this basically means is the content is in encrypted form. When you download it, it gets decrypted on your computer and you can view the content. Adobe needs space on your computer to decrypt the media which is why it is asking can it access your computer.

Since the update the player only half works for me. I get the ads no problem, but the content either fails imediately or plays partly and stops. Of course everytime I try to watch it again, I ahve to watch the same ad again. By the third or fourth attempt it is thoroughly irritating, and I try to go find the content antoher way. Well done RTE.

Thanks Dublin fan and Thargor.

Its mighty.

Now I have to try again to get the flash player back.

Very big problems have I.

:):rolleyes:

Have you try rte player xl:)

I tried the X player and it worked for about half the program and then went back to the start.

The most irritating thing about these issues is the commercial works flawlessly, and there is no way to get past the commercial so 3 or 4 attempts at watching the program means you watch the same commercial 3 or 4 times basically in a row. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Nice one. I hope they don't f**k this up too.

Its hilarious what a fcuk up they've made of RTE Player, it just doesnt work anymore, Ive asked several people in real life now and they all say its "stopped working a while ago", and these are not people who would know what an adblocker is either, and RTE are completely oblivious. Like was said already if they got the player to work a fraction as well as the ads beforehand it would be fine but its completely broken, on phones, IE, FF, Chrome, Win XP, Win 7, Win 8 whatever you try.

Aw even the XL player doesn't work properly for me! No matter what I do it says "press esc to exit full screen mode" across the middle of the picture!

And, when I used the normal player and pressed pause a bloody ad for Lyon's Tea started playing really loudly. Grrrr.

mud wrote: »
    Aw even the XL player doesn't work properly for me! No matter what I do it says "press esc to exit full screen mode" across the middle of the picture!.
    I had that, go here:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html

And try unticking both the bottom boxes in the control panel, refresh the page, tick them again and refresh the page again, then try watching a video in full screen and the Press ESC to... message should fade away as normal, try different combinations of ticked and unticked if that doesnt work, and restart your browser. Bear in mind this controls the global settings for all flash content on your pc so remember how they were set when you started in case you break something.

• Advertisement

try different combinations of ticked and unticked if that doesnt work, and restart your browser.

This is the main reason why this issue has not been resolved quickly. Every time you try a new combination of settings you have to watch the f%£king ad again. There is no way of skipping the ad and no way of saying "I have watched the ad 5 times already can i not opt out of it some how?!?". You are left with a feeling of hopelessness thinking "If they can get the ad right, why can they not get the content right? Maybe the content is an illusion.. Well played RTE". You then go googling for a torrent of last nights Fair City.

Advertisement