Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

luke ming flanagan facebook

Options
  • 02-02-2013 6:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭

Just having a look luke flanagan td's facebook page and the abuse he is getting from obvious members of the gardai regarding his comments on vincent browne during the week re: corruption in the force.

It just seems so petty and down right stupid. How many people here have known someone to have their speeding fine disappear or something of that nature because their brother was a guard etc?

The people in question attacking him on facebbok don't have any come back for questions of this nature, they just keeping avoiding the matter by saying how one of the force was recently killed(which I think was an absolute tragedy and I hope the scumbags who did it are brought to justice).

Can anyone remember something like this happening before or is it just with the growth of social media that it has come about. I know personally of one friend in the guards who constantly posts about scumbags and what he has been up to that day and he lets t be known about his feelings towards cutbacks in the force etc. My brother in law is also a guard, higher up than this lad and when I show him your man's posts he is shocked at how stupid he is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I know a guy who had his drink driving charge quashed by a Guard who was his brother in law.

A few years later the guy who got away with it crashed into my brother while pissed drunk.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

BOOM! LOCKED.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,012 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

flas wrote: »
    Just having a look luke flanagan td's facebook page and the abuse he is getting from obvious members of the gardai regarding his comments on vincent browne during the week re: corruption in the force.

It just seems so petty and down right stupid. How many people here have known someone to have their speeding fine disappear or something of that nature because their brother was a guard etc?

The people in question attacking him on facebbok don't have any come back for questions of this nature, they just keeping avoiding the matter by saying how one of the force was recently killed(which I think was an absolute tragedy and I hope the scumbags who did it are brought to justice).

Can anyone remember something like this happening before or is it just with the growth of social media that it has come about. I know personally of one friend in the guards who constantly posts about scumbags and what he has been up to that day and he lets t be known about his feelings towards cutbacks in the force etc. My brother in law is also a guard, higher up than this lad and when I show him your man's posts he is shocked at how stupid he is.

Bit like Ming then.

I don't know of anyone who ever got anything quashed by a Guard. Of course it will have happened, there are bad eggs in every walk of life, but I do think that you are lucky to have a police force like you do in this state. I came from NI and if you had the RUC for a few decades then you would know all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

NIMAN wrote: »
    Bit like Ming then.

I don't know of anyone who ever got anything quashed by a Guard. Of course it will have happened, there are bad eggs in every walk of life, but I do think that you are lucky to have a police force like you do in this state. I came from NI and if you had the RUC for a few decades then you would know all about it.

Ah Mings alright, not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,012 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats just your opinion, I think he's a bit of a tosser who panders to the common man and who says what people want to hear, but who would not have a single clue about what to do if he actually got any power.

But hey, thats just my opinion.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thats just your opinion, I think he's a bit of a tosser who panders to the common man and who says what people want to hear, but who would not have a single clue about what to do if he actually got any power.

But hey, thats just my opinion.

Well he only takes half the salary of those other useless fools in the Dáil so that is one good point in his favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

A colleague of mine was found asleep&drunk in her company car in the middle of a roundabout in a town in Cork (won't say which one), was arrested but her boss is big employer in the town and one phone call and she was let off, goodness knows how drunk she was.

She was reprimanded by boss, dock in pay or no sales bonus. A year later was done for drink driving in Dublin, so could not get away this time, she got the sack after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Well he only takes half the salary of those other useless fools in the Dáil so that is one good point in his favour.
    You mean he takes the full salary and donates some of it to his favourite causes / re-election campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Hope those "gardai" realise that they are fully liable for anything they "publish" on the internet ...just like the rest of us !

Couple of years ago ...I had it offered to me by an EX-Boyfriend of one of my sisters ... just bumped into the guy and had a brief chat and a couple of minutes later he offered if I ever had any speeding tickets or stuff like that to give him a call, I didn't and didn't have any plans to get any so politely said I was ok .... conversation ended and I went on my merry way.

I have a few garda friends and they have never offered and I have never asked...so like most jobs ...there's some that abuse the position !! and they give the others a bad name !!

Personally I dislike the who "members" thing with the Gardai - and all sticking together.

I have no problem with having a friend who is a garda but when the garda wants to use the law to their advantage they are no longer a friend - they are in Garda mode.

- my understanding is that because of their familiarisation of the laws they are able to use it when they choose, the rest of the general population do not know their rights when it comes to various laws and hence the reason why it would appear like a member would be "pulling favours".... and this is usually what annoys the general public....in the same way that a politician/solicitor or barrister would use their knowledge of the law to claim things like ... (the VAT was undeclared prior to me becoming a TD) or (it was undeclared by the company and not me personally), there are hundreds of loopholes in our legal system which allows people to break the laws of this state and its only until there is public outrage that a loophole is closed, many loopholes are simply claiming a different interpretation of the law (because the law is very unclear)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

dvpower wrote: »
    You mean he takes the full salary and donates some of it to his favourite causes / re-election campaign?

I'll bet that he doesn't donate it to his local GAA club and then claim his 'donation' back as an 'expense'.

Luke is one of the more honest members in government. In the job to serve people, not like the many in government, only there to feather their nest and serve themselves.

SamHall wrote: »
    I'll bet that he doesn't donate it to his local GAA club and then claim his 'donation' back as an 'expense'.

We don't know where it goes - he keeps that a secret.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ming-silent-on-which-projects-get-half-of-his-dail-salary-3036649.html

Luke is one of the more honest members in government. In the job to serve people, not like the many in government, only there to feather their nest and serve themselves.

ask yourself ... is that because he doesn't know what he can actually claim and get away with it or is it because he see's that the politicians around him are claiming public funds that they dont need but want to create a nest-egg for their futures ?

Dont get me wrong - I'm not trying to attack "ming" - he's very new in politics and doesn't know the ropes, he went in with promises of getting rid of the expenses/corruption within our political system ...spent the first few weeks shouting and making noise but has gone quietly into the background...like the rest of the independents who promised change ...little has happened and little will happen because like ming and like clare daly and like mick wallace ...there's always something out there which they did which is not legal ...just a matter of someone digging up enough dirt to keep them quiet.

dvpower wrote: »

Not in his constituency, but I don't really see why he should disclose to the public where the half of his salary goes to, that's his own business.

If he was found to be scamming the taxpayers though, through misrepresentation of expenses etc, that would be an entirely different matter.

What will the indo pick up on next?

"Gerry Adams refuses to say what he bought in Tesco this week?"

Its their private salary, and while we could argue until the cows come home about the merits of how excessive the salaries are, its theirs none the less. Theirs to spend/donate/waste as they see fit.

Not in his constituency, but I don't really see why he should disclose to the public where the half of his salary goes to, that's his own business.

If he was found to be scamming the taxpayers though, through misrepresentation of expenses etc, that would be an entirely different matter.

What will the indo pick up on next?

"Gerry Adams refuses to say what he bought in Tesco this week?"

Its their private salary, and while we could argue until the cows come home shot the merits of how excessive the salaries are, its theirs none the less. Theirs to spend/donate/waste as they see fit.

but there is no proof only his word that he donates to various local groups ...and we have learned from experience that you cannot trust the word of a politician... there is no paper trail so for all we know his local charity could be at home ... charity begins at home !!!

his logic is great that other charities would claim they are more favoured .... and its clever to suggest they would be competing with each other when they should be grateful of any donation...reality is it is his money and he can do what he likes - but if he is not giving it to bonofide charities he will join the rest of the politicians who duped us and you will see him on loads of "groups" or "boards" or "committee's" .... earning loads of extra "expenses"

That's absolutely fair enough and its definitely a plus that he gives some of it away.

But for people to claim that he only takes half the salary is plainly wrong - he takes it all, plus expenses, just like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

He's not in government. He wouldn't last p*ssing time in government with his populist crap.

He's a fool.

Valetta wrote: »
    He's not in government. He wouldn't last p*ssing time in government with his populist crap.

He's a fool.

I think you know what I meant.

If you'd care to discuss 'fools' actually in government though, I'm sure I could accommodate you.

As for the 'last piss time' comment, have you seen labour support polls lately? The current govt might not last this year.

Like I say, not really a supporter or one of Lukes constituents.

Might be worth remembering that good old Enda is the second highest paid leader in Europe after Angela Merkel.

Anyone think he is worth that high of a salary?

I see some people are splitting hairs as to Mings salary but the fact is that as he said himself, he can easily live on 50k a year.

Compare that with Pat Rabbitte who said that he "makes no apology" for drawing down the salary he gets.

I think the voters who elect our TDs should have some say in the salary they get as after all it's our taxes that pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Surely individual Garda members don't deny corruption? I'd say they just want an excuse to have a go at LMF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I noticed that Luke Ming was getting a bit of abuse from a garda on twitter. I looked at the gardas page out of curiosity and was fairly repulsed at what he thought was appropriate to tweet.
    Perverse is an understatement.
    Didn't expect any less from a member of AGS to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Is that approximately 80% or is it an exact figure?

I see some people are splitting hairs as to Mings salary but the fact is that as he said himself, he can easily live on 50k a year.
    He probably can, but he draws down the full amount.
    Compare that with Pat Rabbitte who said that he "makes no apology" for drawing down the salary he gets.
    Just like Ming.
    I think the voters who elect our TDs should have some say in the salary they get as after all it's our taxes that pay them.
    A direct say? How would that work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭The Road Runner

just bad timing by ming voicing what many would feel. i think maybe the guard giving him abuse might be feeling some sense of entitlement to do so after last weeks tragedy. If he is a guard as he is portraying he shouldn't be getting involved with online abuse at all. My own personal experience would be a guard who lived on our street where i grew up getting a bottle of wine or spirits to sort out tickets and the like, it was the done thing.

i think maybe the guard giving him abuse might be feeling some sense of entitlement to do so after last weeks tragedy.

tbf i dont really see the problem with anything that guard is posting, it's hardly abuse. just another professional worker in the internet age and i think he's entitled to his opinions.
    and like i said above he was probably reeling after the death of a colleague.
    I am just back from funeral of my colleague in Dundalk & upset to have been branded corrupt. Wat a sweeping statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Might be worth remembering that good old Enda is the second highest paid leader in Europe after Angela Merkel.

Anyone think he is worth that high of a salary?

With all that bending over he does and the regular riding's she gives him. I reckon Angela thinks he's pretty good value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

https://twitter.com/colcolmc
    Is that the Guard abusing Mick terrible speech coming from a member of our police force.

deisedave wrote: »
    Is that the Guard abusing Mick terrible speech coming from a member of our police force.

thats got to be a mock up account. one of the pictures :eek: my eyes the goggles do nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

deisedave wrote: »

He follows....... Michelle keegan, Oprah Winfrey, Sex Facts Of Life, Holly Peers (page 3 model), Rosie Jones (page 3 model), and Fifty Sheds of Grey.

This is what you are dealing with....

Advertisement