Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still get birthday cakes?

Options
  • 02-02-2013 12:09pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My birthday is soon, and it occurs to me that I haven't gotten a birthday cake in years - possibly since my 18th. I LOVE birthday cakes, but once you're not a kid any more, it seems you only get them for 'important' birthdays.

Are they still a feature in your adult life, or have you stopped getting them too?

Do you get birthday cakes? 57 votes

I still get a cake every year
    0% 0 votes
    I only get one for milestone birthdays
    85% 49 votes
    I never get birthday cakes anymore
    14% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I still get them...I make one whenever there's a birthday coming up and every year I think they'll forget mine. They never do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Where I work…if its your birthday - there's a cake got for you. Usually someone within the team will make it.

It's class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Usually don't but the missus baked me one for the big 3 0 last week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I have to buy my own birthday cake :( 5 times a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

it my birthday tomorrow and the wife hasnt been to any bakeries so no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Shouldn't they be called saliva cakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

am bought some cheapo asda birthday cake but it tastes very stale and is mainly just sponge.
    back when had some savings,had spent a load of money on having the sis a spongebob squarepants cake profesionaly made-that was her birthday present but she loved it more than if had bought her something else because its cake and because have got naff all theory of mind;always buy her something that is of interest to self rather than her.
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    I have to buy my own birthday cake :( 5 times a year.
    the queen is a lucky so and so in this respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, every year. Mainly because I make it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MvsC3

Yeah i nearly always get a generic birthday cake each year, although for my 30th birthday my wife took pictures of the Hull City crest and got it scanned onto a big cake with a big 3-0,... After the meal they brought it out and i looked at her disappointed and said thanks, we got beaten 3-0 away to west ham today and you get a cake to celebrate!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Yeah I end up getting a cake every year eventhough I don't make a fuss about my birthday or care much about it.

I remember when when I was in 3rd year my class got me a cake, a bottle of coke, buns and all that stuff for my 15th. I have no clue why they did it or made such a fuss about me but it was nice I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

Never.

A little cheesecake or something isn't too much to ask. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

MvsC3 wrote: »
    Yeah i nearly always get a generic birthday cake each year, although for my 30th birthday my wife took pictures of the Hull City crest and got it scanned onto a big cake with a big 3-0,... After the meal they brought it out and i looked at her disappointed and said thanks, we got beaten 3-0 away to west ham today and you get a cake to celebrate!!!

Ungrateful Much?

Im a baker and I bake really special cakes for my Boyfriend and Son every year so I would be really hurt if I didnt get one. In fairness to my boyfriend he always gets me a nice cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Yeah, I usually get some kind of cake for my birthday. Went for afternoon tea last year for it so lots of cakes! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

I still get them...I make one whenever there's a birthday coming up and every year I think they'll forget mine. They never do :)
    girl2 wrote: »
    Where I work…if its your birthday - there's a cake got for you. Usually someone within the team will make it.

It's class :D
    1ZRed wrote: »
    Yeah I end up getting a cake every year eventhough I don't make a fuss about my birthday or care much about it.

I remember when when I was in 3rd year my class got me a cake, a bottle of coke, buns and all that stuff for my 15th. I have no clue why they did it or made such a fuss about me but it was nice I suppose.
    Yeah, I usually get some kind of cake for my birthday. Went for afternoon tea last year for it so lots of cakes! :D

Ah f*ck off the lot of ya's with your birthday cakes!!!! :(

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MvsC3

ladypip wrote: »

Ungrateful Much?

She knew i was joking, would be some odds if she had known we were going to be beaten 3-0 a week in advance, a tenner on that score line?... Well it would have the icing on the ca..;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Nobody's gotten me a cake since my 21st so I usually buy one for meself every year 'cause ya have to eat cake on your birthday :D

Although this year I might get one bought for me as I'll be turning 30 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I still get cake on my birthday every year, but its my girlfriend who buys them, I'm not that big into cake tbh, the cool thing is though she always gets a theme cake so I got a Batman cake for my last birthday... I'm 29! (I love Batman)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Judging by your profile pic she made the right decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

For my last birthday my friends clubbed together and got me a cake in the shape of a trollface with "u mad bro?" written underneath.

I recently commissioned a cake for a friend shaped like a t-rex wearing a top hat and monocle. It was delicious.

Birthday caek ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Happy bidet for tomorrow admiral.

Lucky Sods. I've never had a birthday in my life. What are they like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Blessed with some amazing friends who get me cake on my birthday. Birthday gone by one of my mates made me a gorgeous chocolate cake in the shape of a heart and the icing had captain Morgans in it. Yum. Pity I got sick day after and ended up in hospital with gallstones. My mate felt so guilty and renamed it the cake of death.

Will be 40 at my next birthday so there probably will be cake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Every year! I share a birthday with my Sister so normally we get 2 cakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

ladypip wrote: »
    Im a baker and I bake really special cakes

I want you. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

If I'm at home for my birthday my mother will always bake a little sponge or something for me. If I'm not at home I'll have cake, only because I usually buy it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Yes and I hate cake:o If I didnt get one i'd be like the anti christ :o

Cant win :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I still get a cake every year and I'm nearly 26. I would actually be so disappointed if there was no cake on my birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

It was the OH's birthday a few months ago. I got him a specially made chocolate cake (his favourite.) My birthday was a month later - I got no cake, no gift, no card, nada. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

My 21st birthday cake was dropped on the floor when they were singing happy birthday.

I laughed so hard. Sure it was only a swiss roll.

Better get a nice one for my 22nd to make up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

there should have been i have never gotten a birthday cake option..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

I want you. :pac:

Ill make you a cake, but you cant have me im not edible.

Advertisement