Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The least stressful job...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Say it Aint So

Psychologist: Requires another 4 years at least at college but once ye start getting clients, ye just have to try help them, again nobody really puttin pressure on you for deadlines etc.

Yea but if your're a psychologist then you'll have to listen to some people with horrible, horrible problems which will get you depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

FAS instructor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Test Match Special commentator for BBC radio, golf pundit on Sky.

Permanent summer, paid to watch a gentle paced sport, free flights and accommodation. Lots of opportunities for
    flings with saucy locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The extra official beside the goal in football.

You literally do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Ryan Tubridy's dietitian

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Boatbuilding, it's stress relieving and there is no money in it but I love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,880 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I would absolutely love some of the security guard jobs Ive seen over the years, guys sitting in a cabin beside a heater all night reading or browsing the internet, not having to do a thing besides walk around every hour, its actually my dream job getting a position like that, the risk of that career route though is getting stuck standing in Tesco or Aldi all day and sinking into depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Software Testing was a piece of piss. Worked in it from 2000-2005. Music blaring in the ol headphones, on the net half the day, the team constantly pulling pranks on each other. I actually left because, well you need even a little stress in a job to make it interesting right?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Thargor wrote: »
    the risk of that career route though is getting stuck standing in Tesco or Aldi all day and sinking into depression.

Yeah theres a chap in our local Tesco and he stands there from 8am to 8pm just staring into a monitor. Must be soul destroying. Not even a stool for the chap, what a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

There used to be a guy in Hamley's who had the delightful job of playing with a mega hornby railway set all day....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

People looker Ater.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

keano_afc wrote: »
    The extra official beside the goal in football.

You literally do nothing.

And seeing a full stadium you doing your warm up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I imagine the least stressful jobs are all boring. I'd rather be stressed than sit on an chair in an art gallery or sit at a checkout all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

be the worlds first horizontal aromatherapy masseuse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Psychologist: Requires another 4 years at least at college but once ye start getting clients, ye just have to try help them, again nobody really puttin pressure on you for deadlines etc.

4 years at college to become a clinical psychologist? No, more like 3/4 years undergrad, preferably a masters (either one or two years usually) and then you'll need several years experience in the field before you have any real hope of being accepted into a doctoral program which should swallow up another 4 years or so.

As for not being stressful, it's not exactly a job without responsibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

painter/decorator
    they always seem happy at work

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Boards moderator. No stress at all, €45k and free coke & hookers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

ror_74 wrote:
    Possibly the best paying job with plenty of available work and relatively low levels of stress is software development. It helps to have a flair for science and maths, but creativity is also key.
    Also boring as fúck sometimes, so it's a double edged sword that; can lead to burnout, if you don't keep it interesting. Still, pretty nice if you can do it self-employed, and be your own boss.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mike65 wrote: »
    Test Match Special commentator for BBC radio.
    Don't you just hate when a good raconteur gets interrupted by cricket and you never get to hear how the story ends

Or you could be an Irish financial regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

A bad Teacher. Usually english or maths.
    They wallow in relaxivity

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

unkel wrote: »
    Boards moderator. No stress at all, €45k and free coke & hookers.

BANNED

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Night porter

Decent pay, around 12 euro an hour. Good for a student

Just about 2 hours of cleaning to do in a shift, that's all

Sleep if you want if it's mid week and quiet. Just forward the phone to the mobile and put the door buzzer on vibrate and on your belt

Drunk girls chatting you up as they come back drunk from the nightclub

Big fry breakfast from the chef in the morning

And best of all, no managers to bother you!

Having did that job I can tell you it is nothing like you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Dipping my toe in tepid water to make sure it is tepid, then induce popweed to keep me on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Stinicker wrote: »
    Having did that job I can tell you it is nothing like you describe.

What was it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

A Tea Taster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Toll booth operator.

What was it like?

At least four hours of cleaning, resetting and restocking things, keeping the bar opened until silly O'Clock, taking out the rubbish, lots of things really. Having to vacuum several hundred square metres of carpet each night was the final straw and I gave it up after several weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Also boring as fúck sometimes, so it's a double edged sword that; can lead to burnout, if you don't keep it interesting. Still, pretty nice if you can do it self-employed, and be your own boss.

If you are in game development, ever hear of crunch time? Can go on forever in some studios, definitely not stress free.

• Advertisement

Luas pilot

I knew someone would say this. :pac:

Driving trams or trains isn't exactly easy. Especially with the Luas in the city centre, where jaywalkers provide an extra challenge. You have to keep full concentration at all times. You need to know your route inside out - the location of every station, speed limit (permanent or temporary), level crossing, accommodation crossing, you name it.

Would still love to do it though.

Advertisement