Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HONESTLY - Would you share €10,000 with a syndicate?

Options
  • 26-11-2012 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I have often bought a lotto ticket/scratch card with a friend.. like a joint syndicate.

You scratch the all cash gold and hey presto you see three €10,000 symbols on the ticket.
    Would you realistically share it if you could get away with it?

I mean you would not be going too far with it, as in your winnings would not be obvious?

Or can you put a price for a clear conscience?:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

So if your mate won and just walked off.....you'd be cool with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'd share it.
    I couldn't take someone else's deserved money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

So your friend went halves on the scratchcard but didn't hang around to see if there was any winnings.

Yeah right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

No I'd stick it up his bum and tell him to clap his hands and try to lick his ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 only18

No I defiantly would share it if I was in that situation, the guilt would be too much :/

the thought just came to me yesterday when I heard of a syndicate in a local bar that won 250 euro on a scratch card, the person that organized the syndicate claimed it in secret, but somehow it got back to the pub.

I buy lotto tickets regularly with syndicates and often we wouldn't be scratching them in the shop , so to speak. So it could be easily hidden.

Thats it if it happened the other way around, I would be raging, I suppose karma right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I had a similar thing going with my mam. We would go to the bingo the odd time. And we always said whatever we win we split. I won a thousand euro the last time we went and I handed half straight to her without a second thought. She would do the same had the roles been reverse. pretty scummy to not hand half over to someone if you had a deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Anyone remember this famous case
    A west of Ireland Lotto syndicate has won its Supreme Court appeal to keep its Lotto winnings among four members, instead of sharing them with a fifth member.

A High Court order had ruled previously that a fifth man was entitled to a share of a €2m Lotto prize won in 2001.

Martin Horan of Carragown, Bohola, Castlebar had claimed he was the fifth member of the syndicate when it won the Lotto jackpot. But the syndicate said he had been excluded three months earlier because he had fallen into arrears.
    The five-member syndicate was set up nine years ago.

Mr Horan claimed he had been allowed fall into arrears and the syndicate leader Seamus O Brien had agreed to pay his contribution.
    Four years ago the High Court ruled in his favour and said he was still a member of the syndicate because of this arrangement and should receive his €400,000 share.

But the Supreme Court has overturned that decision and ruled that Mr Horan was not a member of the syndicate when the winning ticket was bought.
    The court found that the stake for the winning ticket had been reduced by £1.50 - clearly indicating that by January 2001 there were only four and not five members.
    The court also found that the original agreement only permitted those who had paid their stake to share the winnings and it could not be changed without agreement from all members.
    The court also awarded costs for the High Court and Supreme Court hearings against Mr Horan.

tl:dr

5 members
    4 paid up, the 5th refused to pay so they kicked him out
    A few months later the syndicate won 2 million euro
    The 5th guy took them to court and won his case to get a share
    It went to the Supreme Court and they rightfully called him a chancer and gave him nothing and told him to pay all legal costs. Proper order!

Actually my summary isn't short at all :o

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/01/town-wins-lottery-_n_1247855.html

A case just as bad - A whole town in Spain won a jackpot of $950m, except for one resident.

Yes I agree a deal is a deal end of, yet others see it as opportunity when greed overcomes honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

WIthout a doubt, I'd love to claim the money, then wrap it and surprise them. Telling the other person would be the best part of the whole thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

How big is this syndicate?

Anywhere above 499 people and maybe they don't really need to know.

2...i mean 20 euro means a snack to them ...but it means a bit deal to me.
    go head mr wendell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

a share in €10,000 isn't life changing money

and your life would change if it was found out

lots of cases where people bought another ticket later to try and pretend they didn't win and none of them pretty

AH version

Bet him €5,000 that this time the ticket will win a prize :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Of course I would share it... what kind of a question is that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

only18 wrote: »
    I have often bought a lotto ticket/scratch card with a friend.. like a joint syndicate.

You scratch the all cash gold and hey presto you see three €10,000 symbols on the ticket.

I mean you would not be going too far with it, as in your winnings would not be obvious?

With friends like you, who needs enemies?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'd hand over the other person's share straight away!

I may be many things but I am not a snakey prick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

What kind of paupers do syndicates for scratchcards in this day & age?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭twinytwo

one word for you my friend... KARMA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

€10,000? It's not like you are going to be driving around in a different Bentley every day.

But to answer your question, yes I would share the €10,000 because I am not a weasel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Vote Fianna Fail OP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I would share it without a second thought. I would be equally pleased about winning 5k as I would 10k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

You'd want to be a serious prick to take the money.

Unless your friend was loaded, then you'd be like Robin Hood. Charity starts at home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,194 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I ran a syndicate for 8 years, we never had a decent win but even though people joked about me doing a runner (including me) there is no way I would not have paid up. You have to live with yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I ran syndicates a couple of times. I always handled it as I simply didn't trust anyone else to either buy the tickets or not run off with it if we won. I am completely trustworthy on the other hand.:p;)

For one syndicate someone else offered to do it for a while. One day I noticed we'd won a small amount. But he said the ticket was lost. I said 'Like hell it is. You never bought it.' He denied that but you can be sure he forgot or didn't bother. In fact that is the biggest risk. That the person buying the tickets just pockets the money. Let's face it the chances of being caught are millions to one!:eek: Actually that's how the bookmaker William Hill got his firm started. As a kid working in a bar, drinkers would ask him to place bets for them in the bookies. He soon figured out that the mostly lost and started keeping the money and paying the rare winners out himself. Now that's a suggestion for a money making scam. Just be prepared to skip town if the big one comes up.:eek:

One was a group of twenty in the office. I chose the numbers but the boss insisted on using six of his own. Then we hit the crossbar and got five!:( £1400. It was the bosses numbers. When I gave him his share he told me he had won as well. I thought that was really cheeky. He was using the same numbers himself. In other words if we'd got six, he'd have taken half the jackpot and a share of ours. :mad:

I always covered people who missed paying for some reason. No one took the P and always paid up eventually and I'd have felt terrible if someone missed out just because they were out the day I collected the money.

Vote Fianna Fail OP ?

Surely not, I have more sense than money :rolleyes:

Q. Did you hear about the Fianna Failler who won The Apprentice?
    A. Yeah apparently no matter what the task was there was no way he was getting fired!

Hippies! wrote: »
    What kind of paupers do syndicates for scratchcards in this day & age?! :confused:

Those who work on minimum wage... and want to spend their last buck.

To anyone else if you have not read my prev posts I would not in a million years take it. I would feel guilty if I robbed a penny sweet from a shop dont mind anything else! Just curious to see would anyone be tempted to it.

I suppose a more realistic question would divide public opinion such as:

You find 50euro on the supermarket floor... do you -

a)hand it to a member of staff
    yet it could be an old woman who had just drawn her pension or god forbid out of Sean Fitzpatricks wallet.

b)keep it (shur would the owner be realistically found?)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

There is a syndicate at work and every week the ticket is photocopied and emailed to everyone so we all know the numbers (its a quick pick). So its handy we all have a copy and can check the results ourselves.

and re the 50 quid on the supermarket floor, I would keep it.(As long as I did not see someone drop it, if I saw some one drop it, I would give it to them).

Otherwise that 50quid is my good karma coming back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Anyone remember this famous case

tl:dr

5 members
    4 paid up, the 5th refused to pay so they kicked him out
    A few months later the syndicate won 2 million euro
    The 5th guy took them to court and won his case to get a share
    It went to the Supreme Court and they rightfully called him a chancer and gave him nothing and told him to pay all legal costs. Proper order!

Actually my summary isn't short at all :o
    The only lottery winners there were the Lawyers, that should have gotten nowhere near the Supreme Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

You still need friends when you're rich. Actual friends too, not just those who have their hands out. And it'd take some kind of ****ing eejit to have winning all that money make them miserable.

So yeah, I'd share.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Reality is, EVERYONE would think about keeping it for themselves in that situation... Because you are the one holding the ticket. Could just be another loser ticket for all the others know. So it just boils down to character and who you are.

But, to quote Leggo above since he said he would share,
    leggo wrote: »
    You still need friends when you're rich. Actual friends too, not just those who have their hands out. And it'd take some kind of ****ing eejit to have winning all that money make them miserable.

So yeah, I'd share.

Life is sadly a rat race. Can someone really trust another, the holder of the ticket, to be honest? especially when faced with winning BIG money? .. its the ultimate test. Look out for your own interests or share. Can you really trust someone to do the right and honest thing? ... You can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

You find 50euro on the supermarket floor... do you -
    In a Supermarket, I would look around check around to see if anyone looked like they lost it. But otherwise it's pointless. I certainly wouldn't give it to the Supermarket. Well except in exchange for goods.:D

Funnily enough it happened in work once. But somehow I had a hunch who lost it and went over and asked her if she had lost anything. She checked and sure enough she was missing a fifty. I've no idea how I knew and she was amazed. Strange.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

€10000 isn't worth the inevitable litigation should you keep it. Even if the court sides with you and awards you costs it's months of heartache and arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

I had a similar thing going with my mam. We would go to the bingo the odd time. And we always said whatever we win we split. I won a thousand euro the last time we went and I handed half straight to her without a second thought. She would do the same had the roles been reverse. pretty scummy to not hand half over to someone if you had a deal

Eh..it was your mother! You'd want to be some pr!ck to do your own mother out of money!

I reckon the above goes for just about everyone.

I don't think I'd stiff anyone out of money like that. Aside from the morals of it, it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Advertisement