Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The surname

Options
  • 24-11-2012 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Why do children take the male's surname? Friends and I have discussed this and it seems more prehistorical conceptions that children take the fathers second name. Why not the woman's? We carry the children for nine months surely there should be a fifty fifty choice of second names. My friend argued "my legacy will die out" what about the woman's? It seems rediculous now that woman take men's second names. I would live I hear the arguments pro and against, always love getting my opinion changed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Some kids do take their mother's name, others use both.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

galwayrush wrote: »
    Even when they use sometimes the both names the males just overtakes and it becomes that. Not saying all, but most I have encountered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

My two cents. It just has to be one or the other. Double barrel names are ridiculous. What happens when people with double barrel names have kids?

My two cents. It just has to be one or the other. Double barrel names are ridiculous. What happens when people with double barrel names have kids?
    Exactly, it just becomes the males.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,127 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Wouldn't there also be the question, why do some women take their husbands surname

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I don't care what name your child takes so you fight it out with your male partner who insists otherwise. It's such a trivial thing, who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,593 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Summary of thread so far;

Fcuk men

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

I assume its a personal choice!! though for example I do know of a woman with three kids, they all have different fathers she's chosen to use the surnames of there father IMO I think this is fcuked up & completely unfair on the kids talk about confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Maybe we should scrap surnames and just use some form of registration ID that's derived from mommy's and daddy's IDs.

That would be kool, like a car reg?

Wouldn't there also be the question, why do some women take their husbands surname
    Yeah, I wonder. I would find it so weird changing the signature I so labously scrawled everywere during my youth :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

danslevent wrote: »
    Why do children take the male's surname? Friends and I have discussed this and it seems more prehistorical conceptions that children take the fathers second name. Why not the woman's? We carry the children for nine months surely there should be a fifty fifty choice of second names. My friend argued "my legacy will die out" what about the woman's? It seems rediculous now that woman take men's second names. I would live I hear the arguments pro and against, always love getting my opinion changed!

Well, it's a rule, isn't it?

My wife took my surname & we have kids now.

So far it's daughters only.

I spose they might get married sometime & take on a diffrent surname.

But hey, what's in a name anyway?

I'm happy that some part of me will probably survive when I'm gone.

My take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I think when I have a child I'll use both and let the child decide if they want to keep both or one or the other when they get a bit older. Seems the fairest way and that way my name has a fighting chance at survival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

i've met at least three married couples in the past three years through my former job, who have retained separate surnames. One of them had two girls who had the wifes surname.

As well as that, in the many divorces i've seen where the children live with the mother, the children take her surname after she changes back to her maiden name

So the rule that the wife and children take the husbands surname is not set in stone, its just the default

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

galwayrush wrote: »

Those double-barrelled surnames sound so wrong here.

Imagine being called Paddy O Neill-Gilhooley or summat.

Aoifey! wrote: »
    I think when I have a child I'll use both and let the child decide if they want to keep both or one or the other when they get a bit older. Seems the fairest way and that way my name has a fighting chance at survival.
    Definitely want my child to use both and choose. Have a secrete celebrity when they use my name but still :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Blay wrote: »
    Summary of thread so far;

Fcuk men
    That's what gets women pregnant in the first place :D

Definitely want my child to use both and choose. Have a secrete celebrity when they use my name but still :P
    Celebration*

Celebration*
    You're so cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Rynox45

I think in order to preserve names it'd have to be one or the other in all cases, otherwise you'd end up with people choosing the names which sound nicest somewhere down the line.

Rynox45 wrote: »
    I think in order to preserve names it'd have to be one or the other in all cases, otherwise you'd end up with people choosing the names which sound nicest somewhere down the line.
    Why not choose the best sounding? It's not like we are royalty anymore. Names means very little

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

When I was born I was under my mothers name.apparently my dad didn't take to it so well but my mam said feck ya until were married and I take on your name she(me) won't take it either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

There's no law that you have to take the mans name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Rynox45

Why not choose the best sounding? It's not like we are royalty anymore. Names means very little

On the other hand, what if you like your name but it's not a pretty one? Some names have legacy behind them too. It's unfortunate there's not an analogue from religion to names, you can't let your child go nameless until they're old enough to decide.

When I was born I was under my mothers name.apparently my dad didn't take to it so well but my mam said feck ya until were married and I take on your name she(me) won't take it either.
    Yeah I just find it weird how in Ireland dads have so little rights but yet the surname is so strong. So hypocritical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I gave my child her dads surname because we weren't married and I felt it would be nice to give them that official link for want of a better word and then if we did get married and I took his name we would all have the same name.

Regret it a lot now for the reason someone gave earlier- the relationship broke down and now if I go on to have more children they will have a different surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

My daughter has her father's surname (my boyfriend of 6 years) . No big deal, if we get married ill take on his surname too. Not interested in the double barrel thing either.

My missus came from an all girl family and she ( & her sister) was determined that the family name would survive , so she created a double barrel name for herself.

The kids have my name though, she didn't want to load a double barrel name onto them.

One of her sisters insisted that her kids had the double barrel name, as they grew up they both dropped it, and just use their fathers surname (probably pisses her off!

The double barrel just don't work after a certain age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Was just wondering this myself earlier. I've a couple of friends whose mothers would have been adamant that they kept their own name when they got married, yet they themselves have their father's surname. Anytime I've encountered anyone like this, that's been the case.

• Advertisement

The double barrel just don't work after a certain age

As long as you're not firing blanks before then! :pac:

Advertisement