Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(UK) Foster parents, members of UKIP, have children removed from their care.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

larry_duff wrote: »
    so you think a muslim child should if possible go to a muslim family ?

First, children aren't born with a religion they're indoctrinated into one. Regardless, yes, kids of Muslim heritage should be placed with Muslim FP's and I believe this is best practice.

You know they used to take children from indigenous people's in British colonies and place the little savages with civilised adoptive and foster parents in the UK?

Who were the savages in this scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sounds more like the Social worker is the racist.
    She said the social worker told her: "We would not have placed these children with you had we known you were members of UKIP because it wouldn't have been the right cultural match."

Translation: We want to keep these kids with their own kind??
    I don't think it makes much sense to force a culture onto what are British citizens. In due course they may well take an interest in their heritage but at this stage in their life's all they need is education, a home and loving parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

As close as you can get.

I don't understand why this is such a huge deal.
    They will be considered of course but the children's culture/heritage will be given due regard.

It depends on the age of the child. Most children from birth are only beginning to generate an idea of culture or heritage.

A guideline that creates a policy depending on how diverse a state's population is (without consideration of the fact that diversity is never guaranteed in a country) is an ass. It can't work legitimately in practice.
    Birth.

I can't see how it should be relevant from birth. Most children don't have a cultural identity at birth.
    In the UK or Ireland I guess they will place the child with Asian/Muslim heritage with FP's of an Asian/Muslim heritage.

This is confusing though in a number of cases.

Let's use the example you used earlier of the DUP and an "Catholic nationalist" child (a notion which I'm sceptical of, but let's go with it).

Let's say the child was raised in the Republic to Protestant parents. Should we put the child with "Catholic nationalists" or with "Protestant unionists"? Neither wholly represent the child.

Or should the State just get on with it without cultural analysis?

Asian / Muslim culture differs, and Asians aren't necessarily Muslims, and vice versa. There are shades of grey in between. This is why I think it's far easier to put the child with the best family who will take the best care of them.
    It's not my solution at all - do you think I'm making this up as I'm going along?. You trying to take me down a peg-or-two again? Think my ego is out of check is it?

I'm legitimately criticising your view. You've posted that you think this is reasonable, and I'm questioning that. This is a discussion forum, leave your personal opinion of me out of it.

I genuinely don't think it is all that viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

UKIP is a libertarian Party, it wants the UK to get out of the EU and believe in small government, that's a nightmare for career long civil servants a lot of whom see a job in Brussels as their holy grail.
    Though they may have some similar economic policies, they have some policies that would be completely contrary to an actual libertarian party. Things like wanting increased military expenditure, promoting nationalism, limiting immigration, opposing same sex marriage etc. are all completely against libertarian principles.

Thanks for taking the time to address the points separately.
    Shryke wrote: »
    Not applicable. Just not applicable. There is no comparison between the situation you're describing and a couple in England that happen to belong to a political party.

I'm not saying the case would be identical - I'm just trying to make a more distinct and closer-to-home example to make a point. I'm trying to glean from the OP how 'unmatched' the kids were to the FP's. I'm guessing the FP's were white English people and the kids were non-white non-English. I'm guessing that the SW's could have made a more culturally sympathetic placement.
    And basing this entirely on their subscription to a political party? Ludicrous.

See above. I doubt the decision to change the placement of the kids was based purely on the political persuasion of the FP's.
    They're children. They're growing up and developing as people and they're doing it in England. They didn't just get off the boat from an extremist camp in the middle east.

Yes but if 'English' was good enough then they wouldn't bother taking people's heritage into account at all. You can have two English people with very different world views, cultural practices, heritage etc.
    Your criteria would see no children being placed anywhere. It's unrealistic and damaging to the welfare of the kids. What they need are good parents, not ethnically correct ones ffs.

Not my criteria. Although I agree with it. And yes they were probably fine FP's.
    Tbh you're saying they should stick with their own kind, which doesn't come off too well at all and it's more the attitude I would expect to hear from a UKIP member than this couple who have been treated so poorly for wanting to provide a good home.

Consider my point in my previous post. They used to take children from indigenous people and place them with white middle class parents who didn't even speak the language of the community they came from. Is that fair? Of course it's not. The extended family is the first place SW's look to place kids and their community next. What exactly is wrong with this?

• Advertisement

Yes but if 'English' was good enough then they wouldn't bother taking people's heritage into account at all. You can have two English people with very different world views, cultural practices, heritage etc.

Surely, if two English people can have radically different worldviews, so can two different Bangladeshi people, or two different Indian people, and so on?

philologos wrote: »
    I don't understand why this is such a huge deal.

That's obvious.

It depends on the age of the child. Most children from birth are only beginning to generate an idea of culture or heritage.

Well spotted.
    A guideline that creates a policy depending on how diverse a state's population is (without consideration of the fact that diversity is never guaranteed in a country) is an ass. It can't work legitimately in practice.

Nothing is ever guaranteed.
    I can't see how it should be relevant from birth. Most children don't have a cultural identity at birth.

None do. But they still have a heritage as much as you'd like to deny it.
    Let's say the child was raised in the Republic to Protestant parents. Should we put the child with "Catholic nationalists" or with "Protestant unionists"? Neither wholly represent the child. Or should the State just get on with it without cultural analysis?

Impossible. The person making the decision will not be immune from their own cultural bias - that's why we have guidelines and best practice.
    I think it's far easier to put the child with the best family who will take the best care of them.

People have thought of this and they've gone with being sensitive to children's culture/heritage of origin and consider it best practice - this is how child protection has been working (with flaws of course) for decades. If you have a problem with it write to your MP/TD.

I'm legitimately criticising your view. You've posted that you think this is reasonable, and I'm questioning that. This is a discussion forum, leave your personal opinion of me out of it.

You described my posts as being 'my view' as if I created them - they're not (although I agree with them). You have a history with me (among others) don't pretend you don't.

Surely, if two English people can have radically different worldviews, so can two different Bangladeshi people, or two different Indian people, and so on?

Yet again you state the obvious. This will be considered in any placement of children.

Try harder before coming back to me asking me to assuage your every concern in intricate detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ScumLord wrote: »
    Sounds more like the Social worker is the racist.

I don't think it makes much sense to force a culture onto what are British citizens. In due course they may well take an interest in their heritage but at this stage in their life's all they need is education, a home and loving parents.

Aye.. for all their talk about how important inclusivity and integration is, and how bigotry must be opposed at all costs; they don't seem too bothered about making wild generalisations themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Thanks for taking the time to address the points separately.

I'm not saying the case would be identical - I'm just trying to make a more distinct and closer-to-home example to make a point. I'm trying to glean from the OP how 'unmatched' the kids were to the FP's. I'm guessing the FP's were white English people and the kids were non-white non-English. I'm guessing that the SW's could have made a more culturally sympathetic placement.

You say culturally sympathetic but what you mean is that they were a closer shade together. Kids don't care about culture, adults do. You're predicating culture on young lives based on their genetics which is a bigoted thing to do and has nothing to do with the welfare of the child.
    See above. I doubt the decision to change the placement of the kids was based purely on the political persuasion of the FP's.

That's what seems to be the case actually, but I might have missed something in the reading?

You can, and you have tolerance and genuine care for other human beings too. These things go a little passed the fact that a kid is Asian, African or Hispanic.
    Not my criteria. Although I agree with it. And yes they were probably fine FP's.

It's the same difference then, if you agree with it. But then agree the FP's were probably fine. This is a bit too here and there. You're sitting on the fence here.
    Consider my point in my previous post. They used to take children from indigenous people and place them with white middle class parents who didn't even speak the language of the community they came from. Is that fair? Of course it's not. The extended family is the first place SW's look to place kids and their community next. What exactly is wrong with this?

Not an applicable example, again it's another extreme that's out of joint with the reality. The kid aren't prejudiced or bigoted. It's bigotry that would have a brown kid placed with a brown family over a white family for purely racial reasons.
    Culture hardly comes into it. We're talking about children. They need a loving home, it's a very questionable thing to assume a child of a certain ethnicity should be put "with their own". That's appalling thinking Chuck!
    Any family is a good family unless you want to subscribe to the idea of them sticking to their own, which is rather racist and xenophobic, running to the contrary of a healthy and integrated society. The only criteria should be that they are good people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

quickbeam wrote: »
    I'd agree with the decision. If they are anti minority races (I won't call them racists, but if they're a member of UKIP then it's fairly certain that they don't like non-whites in their country at least), then a minority race shouldn't be left with them. Not to say they're bad people, and unsuitable to foster white children. It's just these particular children that may be at risk and the council should have the children's concern as a prioirty.

You wouldn't leave a Jewish child with a member of the Nazi party?

Ah, hold the fook on a minute. UKIP aren't the BNP or the EDL. They're just far-right Tories.

ScumLord wrote: »

Denying foster children a chance to be placed with 'their own kind' would be ****ing stupid. Also, foster parents who don't share the culture/heritage of foster children are required to be sensitive to foster kids' culture.
    Who can foster

People from different cultures, ethnic or religious backgrounds – having carers from different cultures allows us to match children and young people with suitable families.

www.hse.ie

Parents who adopt from foreign countries where the kids have absolutely no contact with their heritage/culture bring children up these days with due regard to it.

None do. But they still have a heritage as much as you'd like to deny it.

What do you mean by this? - Personally, I don't think it is a good idea to say that just because a child is of a certain ethnicity that they should be put with parents of that ethnicity. That isn't always wise, or even actually relevant to the welfare of the child.
    Impossible. The person making the decision will not be immune from their own cultural bias - that's why we have guidelines and best practice.

The decisions on the basis of these guidelines aren't immune from "cultural bias" either.

Simply put, all one needs to do is investigate the circumstances and investigate who is best even if that means placing them with someone of a different ethnicity.
    People have thought of this and they've gone with being sensitive to children's culture/heritage of origin and consider it best practice - this is how child protection has been working (with flaws of course) for decades. If you have a problem with it write to your MP/TD.

If it is so obvious, and if you are defending this, then you should be able to make an argument for it.

Just because something has been used doesn't mean it shouldn't change. Indeed David Cameron and the Tories have discussed changing this. From The Telegraph:
    Senior Tories have criticised “politically correct” rules requiring children to be adopted by families of the same ethnic background.

In March, David Cameron pledged to tackle “absurd” barriers to mixed-race adoption, while Michael Gove, the Education Secretary, said last year that “Left-wing prescriptions” were denying children loving new homes.

It might be a good job to get some law reforms on.
    You described my posts as being 'my view' as if I created them - they're not (although I agree with them). You have a history with me (among others) don't pretend you don't.

This has nothing to do with you personally.

You've posted that you support this, I find your argument weak so I'll ask you about it and challenge your view. This is how civilised debate works.

If I have a history of disagreeing with you, I have a history of disagreeing with your posts and your arguments (which could have been made by anyone), but it isn't about you, it's about what you've posted. I genuinely believe in not attacking the poster, but going for the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is why I voted no to the Children's referendum. Removal powers have gone absolutely batsh!t in the UK, and I have absolutely no confidence that the same won't happen here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

This is why I voted no to the Children's referendum. Removal powers have gone absolutely batsh!t in the UK, and I have absolutely no confidence that the same won't happen here.

What, that social workers will look for a good match when placing childrn in foster homes, and not place a child with, say, Muslim background and upbringing in a family of Jehova's witnesses?
    I fail to see what's so terrible about the idea to provide an environment that is as familiar as possible to a child in such difficult circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Shenshen wrote: »
    What, that social workers will look for a good match when placing childrn in foster homes, and not place a child with, say, Muslim background and upbringing in a family of Jehova's witnesses?
    I fail to see what's so terrible about the idea to provide an environment that is as familiar as possible to a child in such difficult circumstances?

Removing children based on what political party the foster parents belong to, and calling them racist, is bullsh!t. Should someone be automatically labelled a terrorist because they support SF? What if the family supports UKIP over its anti-EU stance for instance, and not its anti immigrant stance? It's discrimination of the highest order.

If they had another reason to remove them that would be different, but making assumptions about someone purely based on political party is appalling, and the fact that this kind of thing happens all the time in the UK says it all. Seems like every week we see another story of children being removed and their lives being uprooted for utterly ludicrous reasons.

Shryke wrote: »
    Kids don't care about culture, adults do.

You're right. Kids don't but as they grow up they do. This is especially true for adopted and fostered kids.
    You're predicating culture on young lives based on their genetics which is a bigoted thing to do and has nothing to do with the welfare of the child.

I'm not. Jesus Shyrke... you're better than this. Kids grow up to be curious adults and the vast majority will want to know about where they came from. The closer FK's are matched to FP's the more they will know growing up and understand as an adult.
    That's what seems to be the case actually, but I might have missed something in the reading?

In this case, yes, it looks like a mess and I have sympathy for the FP's. I do however understand why SW's might think that the children could be better placed and this is not a reflection of the parenting standards of the FP's.
    You can, and you have tolerance and genuine care for other human beings too. These things go a little passed the fact that a kid is Asian, African or Hispanic.

They'd be absolutely critical. Cultural matching would be a bonus. I know I would like it to have been done for me had I required it.
    It's the same difference then, if you agree with it. But then agree the FP's were probably fine. This is a bit too here and there. You're sitting on the fence here.

I'm not. Im drawing a distinction between the policy and the FP's competence. The FP's sound like they were fine people.
    Not an applicable example, again it's another extreme that's out of joint with the reality.

That was very much a reality until they became culturally sensitive. ;)
    The kid aren't prejudiced or bigoted. It's bigotry that would have a brown kid placed with a brown family over a white family for purely racial reasons.

Nope. It's best practice.
    Culture hardly comes into it. We're talking about children. They need a loving home, it's a very questionable thing to assume a child of a certain ethnicity should be put "with their own". That's appalling thinking Chuck!

Loving home first? Yes. Parents who'd be sensitive to the children's unique needs - all the better.

Lads. Just google 'foster child placement guidelines' and you will see that culture and heritage are very much considered when children are placed and for very good reason imo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Removing children based on what political party the foster parents belong to, and calling them racist, is bullsh!t. Should someone be automatically labelled a terrorist because they support SF? What if the family supports UKIP over its anti-EU stance for instance, and not its anti immigrant stance? It's discrimination of the highest order.

If they had another reason to remove them that would be different, but making assumptions about someone purely based on political party is appalling, and the fact that this kind of thing happens all the time in the UK says it all. Seems like every week we see another story of children being removed and their lives being uprooted for utterly ludicrous reasons.

As I said, people wouldn't be shouting if the children had come from a Muslim family and the social workers thought twice about placing them with Jehova's witnesses.
    In this case, the children were not white British, but were placed with a family who is member of a party promoting the removal of non-white British and non-British in general from the UK.
    It's clearly a potential conflict of interest, and the interest of the children is the one that needs to be considered and protected here, not the interest of the foster parents.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Ah, hold the fook on a minute. UKIP aren't the BNP or the EDL. They're just far-right Tories.

In fairness I took that comment back in a later post.
    I was getting mixed up between UKIP and BNP. I was thinking of crazy BNP parents with non-white children and thought it a bad idea. UKIP not so bad, so maybe a little too far taking them away from them. Still, better safe than sorry I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Shenshen wrote: »
    In this case, the children were not white British, but were placed with a family who is member of a party promoting the removal of non-white British and non-British in general from the UK.
    It's clearly a potential conflict of interest, and the interest of the children is the one that needs to be considered and protected here, not the interest of the foster parents.

Stop peddling lies. That is not, and has never been, the policy of UKIP. Either you have mistaken them for the BNP, or you are a far left socialist with an agenda to to push.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

in post #61 I put up a clip of Nigel Farage speaking at the European Parliament three days ago. He is challenging David Cameron to a head to head debate on EU membership. He also states that 2 out of 3 people in the UK would vote for withdrawal from the EU.

Three days later, UKIP are being dragged through the mud by the media

Those in power both in UK and Europe are in fear of Farage's rising popularity.

If it is so obvious, and if you are defending this, then you should be able to make an argument for it.

Because placing black Muslim foster children with white Christian FP's is dumb if you can get black Muslim FP's - it's pretty much self-evident.

Children grow up and ask questions. They will want know their heritage and the more they know about it the less dissonance it will engender for them when they do find out.

You think the child's cultural values, norms and heritage are inconsequential. That's what led to cultural superiority based child placement in the past; 'the savages' were placed with 'the civilised'.

In times gone by foster and adoptive children's culture and heritage were purged from them because of an imbalance of power - it was destructive and insensitive. Legislation and guidelines have put an end to the barbarism of the past and now children's needs are put first.

Not too sure I'm comfortable with this. As long as foster carers are safe, qualified, sane i think it is fair that they represent a cross section of the society, not a sanitised homogenised version of society which some penpusher approves of. If the foster parents are full on nazis thats one thing but there is no evidence of that.

Thoughts?

Completely agree with you. I don't like UKIP but they're not a dangerous political party (not in the BNP sense anyway). UKIP are just full of posh toffs/Tory party defectors (Nigel Farage is the leader and a founding member) . Sure, they don't like Europe and probably miss the good old days when they could take a darky man servant but they're not violent or overt hate-mongers.

In fairness I took that comment back in a later post.

Sorry - didn't see that.

Kisses ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

The fact they fostered the children in the first place would indicate they are not hardline subscribers to the party - they probably just agree with some of its policies. Is it not quite relieving to see not all UKIP supporters are nut-jobs? Not that it's a nut-job party (in general) in the first place.

I think this is absolutely dreadful - it's just prejudice the other way (but I'm at a loss re the rather silly comments that all public sector workers in the UK are Guardian readers and social workers in general are ****; plus Britain is hardly heading towards 1984, which is an imagined society where people are urged to be cruel. I don't see a problem with a culture of being tolerant, although I agree isolated incidents such as this and the lad going to prison for a Facebook post are taking that policy too far).

The "Would you let a nazi couple foster a Jewish child?" comment is just ridiculous, seeing as UKIP is nowhere near the nazi party, and in that case there would be genuine concerns for the child's safety... not that a nazi party couple would be likely to foster a Jewish child... or would be fostering in the first place, should their fascist views be known.

A nationalist child in the north being fostered by a unionist/presbyterian couple... I don't know... not all unionists/presbyterians are going to automatically hate all from a nationalist/republican background. A lot of them aren't very political and are very christian (in the good way) - they just view themselves as British but don't want loyalist atrocities or sectarianism towards catholics. Again, I would see such a couple fostering a catholic/nationalist background child as simply being very openminded.

Children grow up and ask questions. They will want know their heritage and the more they know about it the less dissonance it will engender for them when they do find out.

Just to tease out this point a little...
    Benefits of Cultural Matching in Foster Care

Abstract.

Sixty-one foster parents from Manitoba were recruited to examine the benefits of cultural matching in foster care placement. The authors used telephone interviews to gather 51 unique answers to the question: “What are the benefits of fostering children who have the same values, beliefs and traditions as you?” (p.1019).

Thirteen foster families were recruited to assist in analyzing the results using concept mapping. Themes extrapolated from participant responses were that cultural matching in foster care placement made it easier for parents to expand on their held values, aided in a child’s sense of security and safety due to familiarity of culture, made the adoption transition smoother, and was less stressful for the family to adapt to fostering a child. Foster parents also responded that cultural matching was beneficial for the adopted child and family relationship because of commonalities in communication and a sense of similarity.

Children and Youth Services Review, Volume 31, Issue 9, pp. 1019-1024. [2009]

There's a bit of science to complement the common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Ok , matching should be a priority. But if there was a mismatch in the first place due to not all info about the couple being known (like in this case) it's unfair to take the children off them. What if the children are happy there?

Because placing black Muslim foster children with white Christian FP's is dumb if you can get black Muslim FP's - it's pretty much self-evident.

Becoming a Christian or a Muslim is a decision on the part of the person.

The State's job is to find the best parents for the child and ensure that the parents will treat them properly.

There are means by which kids can find this out when they are old enough anyway. That's even true of the adoption system.
    You think the child's cultural values, norms and heritage are inconsequential. That's what led to cultural superiority based child placement in the past; 'the savages' were placed with 'the civilised'.

I think for children that it does not matter a great deal. They are far too young to have accumulated any cultural values in most cases.

I think the savages versus civilised argument is limited in value. I think if anything the racist side comes from the point of view that you should keep people in their own kinds. If this idea is not held in terms of marriage, or in terms of other social institutions I don't see any reason why it should be held in terms of foster parenting.
    In times gone by foster and adoptive children's culture and heritage were purged from them because of an imbalance of power - it was destructive and insensitive. Legislation and guidelines have put an end to the barbarism of the past and now children's needs are put first.

What culture? - Cultural identity is generated as kids grow up, it isn't something that exists from birth or from a very young age.

I think the idea that kids should be kept in their own kinds is archaic and silly in many ways.

Madam_X wrote: »
    Ok , matching should be a priority. But if there was a mismatch in the first place due to not all info about the couple being known (like in this case) it's unfair to take the children off them. What if the children are happy there?

Oh I agree that this was very badly handled but we don't have the details of the case. I'm talking about the practice of matching children to potential FP's not this couple in particular (indeed, they have my sympathy and the SW who cried racism should be fired)

You can see how people are using it to question the entire practice of culturally sensitive foster placements which is more about their own prejudices and perhaps a little anti-state axe grinding.

I've as much as been called a bigot and racist by people who should know better just because I believe that culturally sensitivity as regards placing FK's is a good thing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement

Becoming a Christian or a Muslim is a decision on the part of the person.

For children? Bollocks. Don't bother trying to steer the discussion towards your mind-numbing evangelism and piousness - it's boring and I've told you on many occasions I'm not interested in it.
    I think if anything the racist side comes from the point of view that you should keep people in their own kinds. I think the idea that kids should be kept in their own kinds is archaic and silly in many ways.

Read the study I've posted above. It backs up the stance of most civilised countries (which I agree with) as regards foster placement and culture - not your naivety.

Advertisement